Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

maybe apple should learn how the loving decimal system works

current release is 10.9.2. sorry you don't understand version numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
OSX 1.01 x 10^3

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

maniacdevnull posted:

they're moving to the chrome numbering system. windows 27 due out in mid 2015

lol if you know what version of chrome you're running

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Boxturret posted:

a store i went to once sold widows 8 computers that were modified to boot to the desktop and have a working start menu, is this very common?

Windows 8 update 8.1 version 2 has the btoo to desktop

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Millstone posted:

Windows 8 update 8.1 version 2 has the btoo to desktop

this was before that came out

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bitcoin bastard posted:

why am i thinking this is less a joke and more the truth

oh right adobe programmers

p sure this happened to the java installer

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

seriously loving gently caress the java installer

grandma, dont ever click yes when the screen goes black and asks you yes/no UNLESS its jucheck.exe

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
tbh don't even install java unless you absolutely must have it, and even then disable it's online use/plugin unless you absolutely must have it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

java development :smith:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
please install this emergency security update to fix a zero day vulnerability but will introduce another zero day vulnerability

- java

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boxturret posted:

a store i went to once sold widows 8 computers that were modified to boot to the desktop and have a working start menu, is this very common?

no they just care about their business. lol like Staples would ever do that poo poo even tho they should. first OEM to preload stardock is a smart one even tho stardock is dumb /for babies

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

windows 8? staples was selling windows 7 computers a few months ago

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Luigi Thirty posted:

windows 8? staples was selling windows 7 computers a few months ago

oh nvm i guess staples cares about their business too, but has the clout to say lol@ win8

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

quote:

Microsoft is reportedly in the final stages of licensing the Nokia brand, for the purpose of calling the handsets “Nokia by Microsoft.” Furthermore, say goodbye to Surface, and hello to Lumia, as the tablet lineup faces brand streamlining.

lol

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 29, 2014

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

there's no way they're going to drop the surface branding after all of this money

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

duTrieux. posted:

there's no way they're going to drop the kinect requirement after all of this money

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

there's no way they're going to drop the surface branding after all of this money

lol have you paid any attention to MS? it'll be lumia in 3 months and in 6 months it'll be forefront endpoint tablets

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Reminder that "lumia" means "prostitute" in colloquial Spanish

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
in 3 months surface will be the name they use for the glass on the screen

lumia™ with surface™ touch and cleartype™

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

univbee posted:

Reminder that "lumia" means "prostitute" in colloquial Spanish

yeah and chevy made a car named "it doesn't go" in spanish

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Microsoft Tablet Computing Hardware Essentials 2014 R2

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i wonder which country already has lumia trademarked so they have to change the name again

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maniacdevnull posted:

Microsoft Tablet Computing Hardware Essentials 2014 R2

KB123456 update for Microsoft Tablet Computing Hardware Essentials NK 2014 R2 Update 1
KB123456 update for Microsoft Tablet Computing Hardware Essentials N 2014 R2 Update 1
KB123456 update for Microsoft Tablet Computing Hardware Essentials K 2014 R2 Update 1
KB123456 update for Microsoft Tablet Computing Hardware Essentials 2014 R2 Update 1

KB123456 update for Microsoft Tablet Computing Hardware Essentials NK 2014 R2 Without Update 1
KB123456 update for Microsoft Tablet Computing Hardware Essentials N 2014 R2 Without Update 1
KB123456 update for Microsoft Tablet Computing Hardware Essentials K 2014 R2 Without Update 1
KB123456 update for Microsoft Tablet Computing Hardware Essentials 2014 R2 Without Update 1

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phoenixan posted:

lumia™ with surface™ touch and cleartype™

don't post actual literally true statements from the future

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hope they rename all the typecvovers to surfacecovers and start up with the lumia branding so i can have a lumia tablet w/surfacecover and grandmas can but $100 Surface tablets for their grandkids but it turns out they just bought a plug in keyboard.

SurfaceCover2 Pro for Lumia Pro

Sagebrush posted:

yes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

just post lottery numbers or winning horses or something if you're going to time travel ffs

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duTrieux. posted:

the surface is still the giant table-sized touch interface thing. oh did you forget about that already???

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Sagebrush posted:

travelled 2 decades into the future expecting mars colonies

instead i got a bigger google phone, the iphone 11, and the lumia™ surface™ pro 8 with TasticTouch™ and ClearView™ Holo Display™

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

seriously loving gently caress the java installer

grandma, dont ever click yes when the screen goes black and asks you yes/no UNLESS its jucheck.exe

just get her an ipad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol have u even used 1

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

they came so close to doing a good job with the surface branding and it at least lives on an island where surface build quality == good and they really want to throw all of that away to confuse people with poo poo garbage nokia products? gently caress you microsoft i aint buying a fuckin lumia id sooner buy a thinkpadtab or w/e

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Millstone posted:

Windows 8 update 8.1 version 2

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bloody posted:

they came so close to doing a good job with the surface branding and it at least lives on an island where surface build quality == good and they really want to throw all of that away to confuse people with poo poo garbage nokia products? gently caress you microsoft i aint buying a fuckin lumia id sooner buy a thinkpadtab or w/e

y'know what we should do?

Step 1: Insert one of our own guys over at Nokia to tank the brand, then buy it for pennies on the dollar.

Step 2: rebrand all our decent stuff with the tanked brand

lol jfc microsoft u cant even corporate espionage correctly and u practically invented that poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

homo punching bag posted:

y'know what we should do?

Step 1: Insert one of our own guys over at Nokia to tank the brand, then buy it for pennies on the dollar.

Step 2: rebrand all our decent stuff with the tanked brand

lol jfc microsoft u cant even corporate espionage correctly and u practically invented that poo poo

you forgot step 3: change the name to something else after previous rebranding effort fails, recycle other product names if possible

step 4: goto step 3

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

looking forward to the surface lumia 360

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bloody posted:

looking forward to the surface lumia 360 home premium edition NT

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

PleasureKevin posted:

i think the idea is to proceed with 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, etc., so windows 9 won't be for a while (ever?)

no there's been word of a fall release for 9. major release every other year, .1 update on the off-year, rinse and repeat

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
9 is supposed to be out next year but i assume that is for consumers so oem etc would be autumn or winter?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

yeah, gold release to oems usually happen in the fall months ahead of the retail release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Microsoft has always been terrible at branding so idk what people expect

e: Paul-chan weighs in

Mary Jo Foley is reporting that Microsoft could be getting ready to replace its Surface branding—currently used on a PC tablet lineup—with the Lumia branding that originated with Nokia's smart phone business. Certainly, Microsoft will need to incorporate or change various Nokia brands as it further subsumes that business. But this episode highlights a growing crisis at the software giant: When was the last time Microsoft created a truly successful new brand?

According to Mary Jo, who cites an @evleaks tweet, Microsoft could be planning to replace its Surface brand with the Lumia brand that Nokia used on smart phones and one ill-conceived Windows RT-based tablet. Less interesting, the firm is also considering licensing the Nokia brand for longer so it can continue using it on phones, most likely because the Nokia brand is so strong in emerging markets.

Both of these plans are mistakes, I believe. But Mary Jo hits the nail on the head right up front, too: Branding is hard. It's particularly hard for Microsoft, a company that has a stable's worth of terrible brands that came and flamed out badly. And that's the real story here, I think.

But don't mistake branding with product success. I don't think the iPod brand is a particularly "good" brand, for example, but that product line was obviously very successful regardless. Brands that built off of iPod, however, are often perfectly fine, in part because they do a better job of describing the underlying product. Witness iPhone and iPad as obvious examples.

But what about Microsoft brands?

Zune wasn't necessarily a terrible brand, though it is often cited as so. The issue with Zune, like Bing, is twofold. First, it doesn't help someone understand what the underlying product/service(s) are. (Not always an issue, yes: Amazon.com works somehow. And Pentium. Though both were curiosities at first.) And two, because they're not particularly successful or memorable—no one has ever non-ironically said they were going to "Bing" something—the brands became somewhat poisoned as the underlying products failed.

SkyDrive was a good brand. Until, of course, Sky TV sued Microsoft and somehow won. Windows Live seemed like a good brand—"Windows everywhere" and so on—until it became obvious that Microsoft was over-milking the Windows brand by applying it to everything. It's like that popular song you hear on the radio way too often, to the point where just hearing the opening strains makes you want to scream.

But that's the problem, right? Windows and Office are Microsoft's biggest, best and longest-lasting brands. When it comes to reusing—and reusing and reusing—brands, these are the ones that get abused the most. (There was an Office Live, too, remember. Let's move on.)

To answer my initial question—When was the last time Microsoft created a truly successful new brand?—I'd have to vote for Xbox, a brand that first appeared at the dawn of the 21st century, well over a decade ago. Xbox may or may not be a successful product line depending on how you feel about revenues, investments, and research and development costs. But it is very clearly successful as a brand. So much so that Microsoft is now going to that well a little often now with such things as Xbox Music and Xbox Video. Oops.

Thinking about Surface and Lumia, however, I like what Daniel Rubino said on Twitter yesterday: Maybe Microsoft should simply use Surface for its "pro" Windows PC products and use Lumia on phones and Windows devices. But I also wonder if maybe having too many brands is indeed the issue too. And if you had to choose between Surface and Lumia, is it even clear which, if any, of these brands is any good?

Surface was originally used on the "big rear end table" computer, and then briefly on giant screens that are now branded as Perceptive Pixel. The name obviously suggests a surface. One you can touch and interact with. That's good, and positive. Though the products haven't exactly set the world on fire.

Lumia is ... what the heck is Lumia? There's a light association, of course, and one is reminded of the French filmmakers, Auguste and Louis Lumière. (Lumière means light in French.) I think Lumia is a weird brand, at least outside of France. Unless of course you think that the flash on a smart phone—or as I call it, "the light of 1000 suns"—is somehow that device's most memorable characteristic. If it is, you're sunk. They should have come up with a name that connoted excellent camera optics. Too late.

Put simply, I prefer Surface to Lumia, not that anyone is asking. It works for phones as well as it does for any other touch-based devices. And it's Microsoft's brand, not Nokia's, which I think is important.

Choose Surface, Microsoft. The Lumia name stinks.

• Locked thread