Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
This is a safe place for us to discuss the debilitating illness known as fibromyalgia.

Wikipedia posted:

The defining symptoms of fibromyalgia are chronic widespread pain, fatigue, sleep disturbance, and heightened pain in response to tactile pressure (allodynia). Other symptoms may include tingling of the skin (paresthesias), prolonged muscle spasms, weakness in the limbs, nerve pain, muscle twitching, palpitations, and functional bowel disturbances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibromyalgia

Spell check doesn't even recognize fibromyalgia as a legitimate word, which is just one example of the discrimination I face every day due to my illness.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about a year and a half ago. I'm doing much better now that I'm on percocet, demerol and long term disability from work.

Share your stories and tips for living with this awful disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
fagomyalgia

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I considered having fibromyalgia, but then I tried out the gabapentin pills they give you and they aren't actually any fun.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
I've got it all OP. Each day is a struggle.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Maoist Pussy posted:

I considered having fibromyalgia, but then I tried out the gabapentin pills they give you and they aren't actually any fun.

try taking 15 of them you'll get pretty mellow

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
ooooh me! me! I have it! When can I pick up my fentanyl and clonazepam scripts?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

i too have morgellons

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My pops is a extremely well known (in his field) physician and he calls fibromyalgia "whiny woman syndrome, not otherwise specified"

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

All the branded fibromyalgia drugs are just psych meds in disguise.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
fibromyalgia's old and busted

myasthenia gravis is the new hotness

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
gotta give them bitches methedrine like we used to, maybe spiked with some methqualone for good measure (forget what they called that poo poo but you used to be able to get both drugs combined in an XR form for lazy housewives with anxiety)

seriously check this poo poo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desbutal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexamyl

Baby boomers got all the good drugs, now they just whine

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
I heard fibromyalgia doesn't exist.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

All the branded fibromyalgia drugs are just psych meds in disguise.

this

I had a doctor diagnose me with fibromyalgia about two years ago. I promptly switched doctors to someone competent and after he actually ran some lab tests and then looked at them, he found out that what I had was Hashimoto's disease and my thyroid was half-destroyed. Yay for synthroid and for medical professionals who don't try to fob you off with something one step above Morgellon's

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I'm allergic to electricity and wifi.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
don't forget windmills. they make my fibro act up something fierce

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
paging mr nice

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I have neurofibromutosis. Get a real disease you posers.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

*pulls out nerve endings*

LOOK AT THESE THREADS FIBROMYALGIA IS REAL

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I, too, am too lazy to get a job.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I have a FB friend "with" fibromyalgia & she looks like she's going to die at any moment & I think she got diagnosed with fibromyalgia because they tested her for a million things, couldn't find anything & eventually shrugged their shoulders & said "yo poo poo's hosed up" and sent her home to be sick until whatever is wrong with her kills her.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I have a FB friend "with" fibromyalgia & she looks like she's going to die at any moment & I think she got diagnosed with fibromyalgia because they tested her for a million things, couldn't find anything & eventually shrugged their shoulders & said "yo poo poo's hosed up" and sent her home to be sick until whatever is wrong with her kills her.

They do that, they really loving do that. It's like we're all back in the nineteenth century being diagnosed with "hysteria." I'm pretty bitter about my previous doctor's (lack of) actions.

The medical community uses fibromyalgia as a helpful euphemism for mild to moderate depression, because it is just so much easier to get people to take the meds if you call it fibro. In a way that's good because it's getting people who need it some help, but along with that it's become a catchall diagnosis for anything to do with women that a doctor can't or won't figure out.

edit: this is all aside from fat grifter goon fibromyalgia, which is usually achieved by pestering a doctor for that diagnosis until he or she gives in

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 26, 2014

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

bonestructure posted:

this

I had a doctor diagnose me with fibromyalgia about two years ago. I promptly switched doctors to someone competent and after he actually ran some lab tests and then looked at them, he found out that what I had was Hashimoto's disease and my thyroid was half-destroyed. Yay for synthroid and for medical professionals who don't try to fob you off with something one step above Morgellon's

same but Graves'

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

don't forget windmills. they make my fibro act up something fierce

I think my smart meter gave me radiation poisoning and muchausen's.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

holy loving poo poo as I was literally reading the replies to this thread the ad my girlfriend was watching on hulu was about a medicine that claimed to ease fibromyalgia pain

http://www.lyrica.com/Fibromyalgia/fibromyalgia-introduction

lmfao you can literally show an advertisement in america to cure symptoms of a disease that doesn't loving exist

god bless america

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYZNHHAz-BY here's the ad my head loving snapped over when I heard fibromyalgia then they showed it in big letters on the screen and I started laughing my rear end off

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow
suck it up candy rear end

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

deadwing posted:

holy loving poo poo as I was literally reading the replies to this thread the ad my girlfriend was watching on hulu was about a medicine that claimed to ease fibromyalgia pain

http://www.lyrica.com/Fibromyalgia/fibromyalgia-introduction

lmfao you can literally show an advertisement in america to cure symptoms of a disease that doesn't loving exist

god bless america

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYZNHHAz-BY here's the ad my head loving snapped over when I heard fibromyalgia then they showed it in big letters on the screen and I started laughing my rear end off

Lyrica is an anti-seizure med that is also used to treat anxiety. Some people with anxiety disorders who refuse to believe they have anxiety disorders & take well known anxiety meds will take Lyrica because they think it's treating their mystery pains.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

antisocial democrat
Mar 28, 2007

I am a sick man... I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I believe my liver is diseased.
fibromyalgia totally exists and isn't just crazy people being crazy

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Telesphorus posted:

I heard fibromyalgia doesn't exist.
the name starts with "fib" because it's a lie

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

antisocial democrat posted:

fibromyalgia totally exists and isn't just crazy people being crazy
this is a false dilemma

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
I've found that the best thing for my fibro is a bit of heroin. Don't ask me why but it really makes me feel a lot better; secret for all the fi- bro's out there.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

BASF posted:

all the fi- bro's out there.

holy poo poo I'm going to steal this term and refer to anyone claiming to have this poo poo as a fi-bro (even though they are all women p much)

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

holy poo poo I'm going to steal this term and refer to anyone claiming to have this poo poo as a fi-bro (even though they are all women p much)

Please don't mock people with fibromyalgia to their faces, a lot of them have untreated anxiety disorders & you could trigger an attack. I'm just kidding there's no way you will ever talk to a woman irl.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

BASF posted:

I've found that the best thing for my fibro is a bit of heroin. Don't ask me why but it really makes me feel a lot better; secret for all the fi- bro's out there.

:hfive: this guy knows whats up

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Whiskey Sours posted:

:hfive: this guy knows whats up

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

BASF posted:

Heroin is pretty much a cure all. It's the miracle medicine "they" don't want you to know about, which is why it's illegal. Anxiety, depression, diarrhea, kidney stones, alcoholism, morphine addiction, it cures them all. It even cures autism.

vvv
There's probably a co-morbidity factor in there somewhere. Depression can result from other medical issues (fibro is apparently called the "suicide disease" or something), and depression likewise makes you more likely to get sick in other ways.

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 26, 2014

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Fibro probably being mild depression suddenly puts some of my ex's behavior in perspective. She's constantly stressed out & doesn't exercise (this might have changed) and SURPRISE she's in some degree of pain & discomfort 24/7.

There any chance these people have some legit issue that just hasn't been figured out or the fact that no matter what tests and poking and knowledge thrown at them it continues so they must be nutty?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Diabeetus

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow

IronClaymore posted:

(fibro is apparently called the "suicide disease" or something)

Excellent idea, quit whining about your fake disease and kill yourself

Bike without wheels
Jan 2, 2005

this post
i'll fibro your algia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

LethalGeek posted:

There any chance these people have some legit issue that just hasn't been figured out or the fact that no matter what tests and poking and knowledge thrown at them it continues so they must be nutty?
that's the only chance imo

• Locked thread