Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I'd also like to go ahead and note, as much as people do tend to dislike the Aquaria section of the game due to the semi-sloggines of the dungeons, I really enjoy the music. Sure, speed rock fight songs are definitely awesome, but the slow melodies in some of these field areas are incredibly nice to just listen to. Falls Basin is one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
6. Ice Pyramid? Snow Problem

Well, let’s get this over with. The Ice Pyramid is considerably tougher than the Bone Dungeon—namely, there are lots of branching paths and it throws a pretty garbage gimmick at you straight out the gate. If you don’t have an idea of where you’re supposed to go, you’re in for a frustrating time.

That being said, I don’t plan on showing off the whole thing because there’s no point. All of these optional paths just lead to consumables. We’re going to see all the cool stuff there is to see on the way to the boss and then get out of this super boring place.

There are “puzzles”, I guess, because you have to push switches. But with what?

Let’s push it with something...

The sword is used for pushing switches, like swords logically should be.

With the door open, take the rightmost path and go as far right as you can.

A nice chest in plain view and easily retrieved? I take it back, I guess this place isn’t all that bad.

:monocle:

If you thought this place looked suspiciously empty, give yourself a round of applause. For whatever reason, the enemies in the Ice Pyramid are invisible and you’ll just bumble into them. This would be absolutely unbearable.

I mean, if we didn’t get an item that makes all the monsters in the area visible almost immediately. The thing is, having played this game countless times, I knew where this was so I could just go here and pick it up with little trouble. If you had no idea this even existed, you’d be stumbling through this area and into encounters constantly. If that happened to you then there’s almost no way you had fond memories of this place.

I forgot to show the Cat Claw in action when we got it because I am an idiot, so here you go.

And before we go on much further, here are the upgraded Jumbo Bombs. They’re really strong when the damage isn’t being split and have slightly deeper sounding explosion when used on the map but that’s about all that’s different from our wimpy old bombs.

Now we’re ready to tackle this place properly. If you look at this map from Gamefaqs, you’ll notice that it’s waaaaaay bigger than Bone Dungeon. I know I give the game a lot of poo poo for being easy but this is a pretty steep curve in difficulty. It’s complex and, while not totally mazelike, can absolutely be confusing enough to give a younger player pause.

The music is certainly a nice reprieve from the rockin’ battle music and the perkiness of the world map, but it’s boring as hell after awhile, and just sort of starts droning. Ordinarily that wouldn't be such a big deal but you’ll be in the Ice Pyramid for a good amount of time. I think my issue with it is that I’ve already heard it once so getting it a second time is sort of disappointing.

If you didn’t grab the Magic Mirror then this dungeon just became a whole lot more intimidating for this hypothetical young player. Not to mention that at this point of the game you probably won’t be killing enemies in one round anymore so battles are going to be noticeably longer. You could say it’s a perfect storm of boringness.

On the bright side, Shrug’s gonna get some shiny new things to play with. I’m not sure if that makes up for the rest of it, but, well, there it is for better or worse.

We’ll be using the map for directions/reference just so there’s some clarity. We’re headed to Staircase 4 on the first floor because nearly every goddamn brown treasure chest in this place contains 10 arrows, so gently caress that. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to keep track of what's going on.

On the way there, Shrug picks up some soda. Refreshers restore your stats if they’ve been decreased by an enemy attack. I’ve never actually used one before, though, and I don’t anticipate using them this time either.

Guarding staircase 4 is our first new enemy of the day, the Mage. They can hit you with Blizzard for water damage and Cure themselves and others. They could also hit you with Silence—if Silence actually worked, that is.

It’s sort of fortunate that it doesn’t because the AI loves to heal status effects above all else. You could be on the brink of death but we’d better cure that sleep first. I can only imagine how awful it’d be if you had to deal with being Silenced (which is a pretty non-threatening ailment) and healed immediately after, forever.

Invenerable in the thread mentioned that fights with floating/flying enemies on their own depicts them bobbing up and down in the air. If there’s a single ground-bound enemy though, the airborne enemies just sort of hang there. I don’t know if that’s :effort: or a limitation of the SNES or what but there you go.

Shrug reveals his dark side as he continues to assault these old men

The Ice Pyramid isn’t so bad if you know where you’re going because we’re a good ways through already, battles not withstanding. There’s really only one way to go, but we’re taking staircase 7, for reference. After this, it’s not too hard to lose your way completely since the paths here on out are more forks in the road than anything.

And that’s a pretty big ‘if’, I know.

The pink blob called a... Phanquid is Squidite’s palette-swap. I don’t think there’s anything really different about them. Phanquid might be a little weaker.

Sphinxes are annoying since Phoebe won’t be killing them in one hit and are yet another enemy that can confuse you but that’s about all that’s noteworthy about them.

They look awful once you’ve done enough damage.

Phoebe is kind enough to demonstrate the aftermath of getting hit with an electric or fire attack.

First things first, take the right path to hit a switch for later.

Stoney Roost—which I imagine is supposed to be a cockatrice but whatever—is probably the most annoying enemy here because they can petrify you.

In two different ways: either with Stone Beak or by attacking them. Petri-counter is the worst because you’re essentially dead when you’re petrified so attacking them with anything but bombs or magic is a no-go. If the game decides to hit you with two Stone Beaks then enjoy your game over, I suppose. That’s one reason I seriously appreciate the ability to just give the battle another try immediately.

They can hit somewhat hard with Coldness or Dive, but Stone Beak is the real worry here. Phoebe will kill them in one hit since they’re weak to shooting weapons, so just hope she gets to move first!

Gathers can blind and paralyze you and hit you for a meager amount of damage with Pseudopod. They will also blow themselves up and take out over half of your health in one attack, which can be pretty catastrophic.

On the other hand, they’re weak to bombs and our bombs are pretty powerful. Two Gathers will die in one hit from the Jumbo Bombs. Curiously they reflect all magic despite being weak to like three elements, Thunder being one of them.

:pwn:

I never really paid attention to how many palette swaps there are in this game. Freezer Crab is just a straight-up weaker reskin of the Snow Crab, axe weakness and all. They can counter now, I guess?

The switch is pretty simple to reach but I imagine if you’ve stumbling around the dungeon blind you’d be pretty worn down from the fights. In any case, we can take the left path without issue, other than a couple of enemies, and reach staircase 8 now.

I was bound to run out of bombs sooner or later since I never fill up on them. If your weapon is out of ammunition, you’ll just run up and punch the enemy out.

It doesn’t deal a whole lot of damage but Shrug’s fists are hitting for a few points of damage less than the Cat Claw so that’s great?

The path ahead is hidden so just walk into this wall. That big square in the bottom lefthand corner is Shrug’s eventual destination.

I spy a chest behind a closed door and that’s just terrible. The right path is a dead end, so let’s head left.

I can only imagine how annoying and predictable this sort of thing would have gotten if you didn’t pick up the Magic Mirror.

This is actually a pretty cool floor. There are 20 explosives to the left so pick them up if you need them. Still not gonna get them!

You can actually fall in this room, which makes it somewhat interesting and... I guess it makes you pay attention to where you’re going? Or keeps your jumping around in check?

Walk off the edge around here and you’ll fall into the room with the nice chest from earlier.

I wasn’t joking when I said we were going to get some cool stuff in the Ice Pyramid. Shrug picks up a nice little 6 point boost to his defense and evasion, resistance to water attacks (which is going to be immensely helpful), and immunity to poison.

I just recently found out that armors actually do a little more than what they say on the tin. Helmets boost strength, shields increase speed, and accessories improve magic. All of them add to your evasive ability as well.

E: Forgot to mention that armors don't actually increase a 'secondary' stat, they only add resistances. I'm not complaining though!

I sort of wish Shrug’s sprite would change to reflect his new armor but oh well!

Hit this switch and then return to the 5th floor or kill all the enemies in here for a pretty nice amount of EXP. I’m not doing that because I’m running low on magic charges and you’re insane if you think I’m going back to Aquaria.

Back on the 5th floor, just blow this up. ...if you remembered to have explosives on hand, anyways. :shobon: Fortunately, you can easily pick up some explosives without having to put up with Sphinx confusion bullshit if you take the path guarded by the Freezer Crab.

Geronimo!

I wonder what I do here :downs:

Hitting any of those switches eliminates the ice, allowing us to fall into the basement smack in the middle of this awfulness.

But there’s another chest so it’s basically Shrug’s birthday here.

:woop: The Knight Sword is excellent and a much needed upgrade to the Steel Sword. Shrug’s a lower level than Phoebe and it’s already stronger than her bow. He’ll one shot nearly every enemy in here now. He also gets a 5 point bonus to speed when he has it equipped so that’s pretty cool.

Back to business. Let’s kill this ugly and unfortunate thing.

Same :)

Oh, the game’s actually hide and seek? Never mind, I’m not enjoying our little game.

Take these stairs under the ice to reach that Lamia blocking the tunnel.

As an aside, you can blow these shield things up.

I don’t know why you would, but you can.

Two Sphinxes in a row guarding the same door. The Ice Pyramid is Bad.

It looks like you can get these chests, and you can, but afterwards you’d have to fall all the way back down and climb back up. It’s only 20 arrows. It’s not worth it.

Thankfully, Shrug is blind for this... whatever the boss is doing.

Since we’re so low on, well, everything, let’s use some seeds and restore all of our magic and make this fight a joke.

No? I mean, okay, the sword suggests that I am but this is all just sort of circumstantial.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, we’re out of the cool standoffs of Shrug and the bosses. Here’s the Ice Golem, second of the Vile 4.

This is honestly a pretty simple fight if you consider it to be a damage race more than anything. If you don’t have magic, you’re basically screwed. Ice Golem can hit hard, but we can heal up pretty quickly with Cure and Life. Keeping both party members alive is a priority because you’re going to lose that race if someone’s alone.

It’s weak to Fire, obviously, so bust out the Cat Claw and take advantage of the very slight boost it gives your magic.

It’s also susceptible to blind but I’m not sure if trying to get that to stick is worth your time.

Since it’s made of ice, it’ll start melting the more damage it takes.

Ice Block is its signature move, and it hits pretty drat hard. Like, up to 180 damage even with water resistance hard. I don’t even want to know how bad this would be if you neglected to pick up the Noble Armor.

Ice Golem can also put you to sleep which can be annoying. He has a few other attacks that he didn’t have the chance to use that are also pretty devastating. Stomp Stomp hits for almost 300 damage whereas his other physical attacks are doing around 200. Definitely nothing to scoff at.

At this stage of the fight, he’ll start using Snowstorm a bunch. That really sucks because it’s hitting us for 150 damage each and heals him for 200. Shrug is doing 480 with Fire so we’re still hitting him harder than he can heal for, but it still puts a damper on your progress.

At this point, especially, you need to focus on keeping both party members alive because stopping your offense to heal up is going to stonewall your progress.

But if you keep throwing Fire at it and keep an eye on your health, this is honestly isn’t too bad. I’d say that Flamerus Rex is a harder fight.

Uh, we’re both headed there, why are we splitting up?

Don’t forget to see Grandpa!

Right. Bye!

Whatever, I guess. That’s two down, two to go.

Next time: Shrug is challenged for the crown of the world’s biggest doofus

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 10, 2014

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Stony Roosts aside, Gathers definitely should have been Gazers.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like to think that the golem is flexing the ol Pecs.

'Do you even lift, bro'

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I like to think that the golem is flexing the ol Pecs.

'Do you even lift, bro'

Distant cousin to Super Macho Man.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I definitely missed the magic mirror the first time I rented this game, and spent a lot of time wandering around the dungeon until I found it (on the way out as I recall, when I noticed I missed a path).

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I got lucky first time I went in there and immediately explored the right. Unfortunately I did not get the Noble Armor and that icy bastard kept destroying me.

I never got why he shows up in the room with the Knight Sword and then teleports a couple rooms away. Unless they were going to have you chase him around, but decided to do that with Pazuzu instead.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
My first time through the pyramid, I actually more or less cleared out the entire floor before stumbling over and finding the mirror, but I know that if I hadn't had it for the upper floors I probably would've ragequit on the game right then and there. Don't let my earlier defense of Aquaria fool you, I like the cave and Falls Basin because they're interesting in their own ways. The Ice Pyramid is a bullshit slog matched only by a couple of the later dungeons in "AUGH WHY AM I DOING THIS" factor.

That said, I did always like the Golem, and his stages in particular. Like the Rex, it's neat to see him more or less barely clinging on at the end, but in such a desperate state that he's throwing out everything he can at you as a Hail Mary. Also, while CD advocated straight magic use on him, I always seem to remember having pretty respectable damage with the new sword.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I like how they handled the Golem's sprite selection. He has to keep that arm raised up because the animation for his ice-cube attack is the cube spawning in his hand and then getting "thrown" at one of your characters, but they made it so he's reaching out to crush you in his full-health sprite, and reaching up in desperation in his nearly-dead sprite, and they both work great.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
I'm a bit behind the curve level-wise since Shrug is only barely catching up to his party member by the end of the dungeon, which is going to be pretty apparent when we meet our new friend, but otherwise the Knight Sword is totally a serviceable option here and especially if you're like me and didn't stock up on bombs. At my level, though, I would have been dealing almost 200 less damage and that's just barely enough for it to have been annoying. I think it took 10 Fires between Phoebe and Shrug to win so it goes pretty quickly. Really, you have so many magic charges for healing that you should be fine no matter how you go about it. Magic is definitely the fastest way to do it though, at least in my experience, and you might as well use those seeds sometime!

It's funny how obvious almost all of the little sprite details are in retrospect. I always realized that Ice Golem was clinging to life as he melted but never thought to pay attention to his hand staying raised. The next Vile 4 is almost a little unimaginative in comparison but I think it looks kinda cool and the setting is just hilariously absurd to me.

Anyways, the next chapter in Shrug's thrilling adventure is coming tomorrow. It's sort of a toss-up as to which I like less but the next zone is pretty alright. It's... it's got some problems but at least there's nothing as bad as the Ice Pyramid.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
7. A Singularity of Dorks

As per usual, the world looks a whole lot better after the boss is dead. Mystic Quest does a pretty good job of showing you how borked the world was before Shrug waltzed into this ‘destiny’ business.

The Battlefield below the Ice Pyramid has a unique background after the snow has melted. I’m pretty sure this is the only instance of this. The reward here is 540 EXP so phooey to that.

I really like the look of Aquaria once it’s been healed.

I sort of feel like it’s a bad idea to build a tunnel under your house but okay.

By tunnel, did you mean huge waterfall??

I don’t know why the Falls Basin theme gets reused so often but this is the second of three places we’ll be hearing it.

Spencer’s Place is just a little too big for it to be inoffensive. It’s like just short of a minute walk to and fro. Why can’t I ride the waterfall down, at least? That still wouldn’t be the dumbest thing Shrug’s going to do today.

But here’s Grandpa Spencer with his big bushy eyebrows that probably prevented him from freezing to death, just hanging out.

Phoebe and I restored the Crystal of Water’s light.

Then you’re the Knight in the Prophecy! The shield has found its owner!

This perplexes Shrug for some reason.

A shield used by a Knight in days gone by. Captain Mac found it.

:bravo:

For years Mac’s been studying a Prophecy. On his way back from doing some research, the lake dried up and his ship ended up on a rock ledge. But that’s no problem. If we dig from here, we’ll be able to reach the ship.

This is the dumbest plan I’ve ever heard in my life.

Anyway, here’s a key. The shield is hidden in the Focus Tower.

And now after all that jabbering you don’t even have the shield to give me? Your granddaughter is way cooler than you.

I guess there’s no better place than underground to feel tremors like that???

This is a pretty big river, guy, I’m inclined to believe that you found the ocean or something.

This Battlefield is our last stop in Aquaria. You’ll be fighting Phanquids here for the most part, with the occasional Sphinx popping in to annoy you. The Knight Sword will make short work of everything here, provided you’re a higher level than I am right now.

I’m not sure if I’m just unlucky, but I feel every time I ran into a Sphinx and a Phanquid they got to ambush me and getting confused can really drag this Battlefield out.

But this is our reward! It’s going to be incredibly convenient for Shrug because later dungeons are going to be a pain in the rear end to walk back through.

It also lets you kill trash enemies like this instantly. You won’t get any reward for it, but it makes a real satisfying noise and it’s a great way to get rid of something you know is going to piss you off with confusion or whatever.

If you’re doing a low-level run of this game, then Exit is invaluable.

You’ll find Freezer Crabs and Gathers here. The reward is 429 EXP but Gathers let you glitch the game in a way that you can have around 256 fights before you get a reward.

It takes more setup than I’m really willing to do for grinding, but in case you want to try it yourself:

Fight until you have 1 battle left to go, reduce your health to a point that a Gather’s Selfdestruct will kill you but still effectively win the battle. Reload and win normally, then rejoice.

There are other little temples here and there. Between that last Battlefield and the Focus Tower is the Wintry Temple. It is totally and completely useless.

Much like this guy.

...well, what was the news?

My thoughts exactly.

Oh hell yes. This is the shield that Spencer was talking about and it is awesome. Most importantly, it prevents paralysis. While our party members will still have to deal with it, at least Shrug and friend won’t have to pitifully wait for death if they’re both immobile. We get a little more evasion and speed with it too so it’s a good day to be Shrug.

And a new spell that’s conveniently strong against the enemies in the place we’re headed to next? How fortunate!

Here’s what the statue was for if you were still curious, mysterious old man.

Hmm, this place seems like it sort of sucks.

And I was right! It’s a bit hard to tell, but the ground shakes every time we go to a new square. This gets old real fast.

For whatever reason, Fireburg gets a much more upbeat mix than all of the other towns in the game. I guess someone realized that this place is the worst and needed some form of redemption.

This sounds like something that happens all the time, frankly.

In the last house on the bottom left, Shrug finds this nice lady all too willing to just part with her Battle Axe.

Are you related to a woman in Aquaria, by any chance?

Unfortunately, the reign of the Knight Sword doesn’t last very long. If you’re at all a decent level, unlike me, this will probably be stronger than the Jumbo Bombs.

The inn hotel here has a flashing sign on a... tent? Pyramid thing? I’m not really sure what these buildings are supposed to be.

Suddenly the lock thing from earlier makes much more sense.

Why not?

At this point you can basically snap the game in half over your knee because nothing can stop you if you have a good stock of seeds on hand.

Next to the hotel is Reuben’s house.

This does not bode well for Shrug’s next conversation.

Shrug knows the deal by now and just wants to get out of here.

I can’t deal with that now. I’ve got to help Dad.

Well, why don’t you let me help you!

“I know where this is going, let’s get this over with”

He’s stuck behind a boulder.

Oh, well, gently caress it then.

There’d be no problem if we had a Mega Grenade, but only Dad’s friend can use them.

Where’s the guy’s house?

In this town, but he’s shut himself in.

Of course it’d be in this town, you moron, that’s not what he was asking.

We’ll pay him a visit anyway. Come on!

:smith:

:roflolmao:

Reuben is easily the worst party member. I’m not even talking about just this game. He’s the worst party member period. Think of any game you want. Reuben is worse.

He can hit a single enemy really hard. That’s it, that’s every good thing about Reuben. He’s got the HP of level 26 so that’s great too? There’s honestly just nothing to say about him.

You might have noticed that he has the same resistances as Phoebe. Well, not really. Due to a bug, new party members just get the previous member’s resistances until you do a hard save and reset. Ordinarily, Reuben is resistant to Fire. ...and that’s it. I mean, don’t get me wrong, a Fire resistance is definitely helpful here but it’s just sort of sad that he has nothing else.

This bug also influences stats to a degree. With Phoebe’s resistances, he has a little less defense and is less evasive, but he’s a bit faster.

On a different note, I think this is the lowest level I’ve ever gotten to Fireburg with. Huh.

Reuben wasn’t kidding about this dude’s house being locked, but fortunately we know a guy who can open any lock.

And why would you live next to a pool of lava?

We went to the house in the pit, but the guy wouldn’t let us in.

You two want in? Then take this.

“You wanna break into some guy’s house? Aight”

Ha ha, wow, you’re an awful friend.

“My dad’s friend is the only one who can use them”? Apparently it’s not very hard. I’m pretty sure Reuben was told this because there’s no way he wouldn’t just blow up his hand.

We already have a weapon better than our new Battle Axe. Well, against single targets, anyway. Spreading out the damage is as detrimental as ever. This is the last of the bomb family as well!

Let’s go save a dad.

Next time: All of the awesome loot in the world won’t make up for having to deal with you, Reuben

So here’s a question, thread. Since Reuben is missing his Fire resistance, which is the only other good thing about him, the upcoming areas might be a bit more challenging though I can’t guarantee that. So: take away his Fire resistance and make the next areas a little more interesting or let him keep it and play through normally? I know it's kinda a silly choice, but whatever!

cardinal direction fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 13, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Keep Phoebe's resistances. All the way to the Fire Crystal. :unsmigghh:

Anyway, the resistance glitch is pretty well summed up there. Until you do a hard save and reload, the game will keep the resistances of your old party members in memory and totally ignore whatever their correct resistances are. There's also some stat carry-over that depends on the party member you're using the glitch on; if we had used the glitch on Phoebe from way back when, she would have been faster and had better attack, but way lower magic. There are times when the glitch is legitimately useful, but this is decidedly not one of them.

And yeah, gently caress Reuben. The sole bright spot for him is that Life doesn't give a drat about your magic stat, and 23 casts of it is more than enough to carry you through the entire goddamn Fire section if you really had to.

Myrrar
Nov 6, 2009
For whatever reason, 8 year old me really liked Fireburg/Reuben... but I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because he was so strong, and mace-smashing enemies for a lot of damage was satisfying.

Or maybe because I was stuck in the ice temple section for multiple rentals of the game and it was FINALLY something new.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Reuben's morningstar also does Axe-type damage for some reason :iiam:

Mystic Quest's party members are kind of interesting in that they don't cleanly fall into the standard fantasy archetypes, because every single one of them can cast magic. Reuben without magic would obviously be a knight/barbarian type; does having access to Life make him a paladin? Tristam is clearly a ninja/thief, no doubts there.

Kaeli and Phoebe are pretty fuzzy though. Normally I'd say Kaeli is a druid, but she's got that big honking axe which is kind of detrimental to tree life. And Phoebe of course is the best mage (and therefore the best party member; cardinal direction wasn't kidding when he noted that access unlimited Seeds lets you break the game in half), but she also kicks copious amounts of rear end with that bow of hers.

I guess when you only ever get two party members at a time, they have to be able to multiclass. No room for one-trick ponies on this quest!

As for Reuben's stats, I honestly don't really care either way. Reuben's dumb, so whatever speeds you through this section of the game, I guess.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Reuben was my favorite as a kid too. They certainly didn't do him any favors in that american art.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The numerical representation of HP is too much for my dumb 'murican brain to comprehend. Could you turn the HP bars back on for an update or two?

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

I was pretty neutral on Reuben when I played this many years ago, but now I'm thinking the game would have been better had he been a gastrically-distressed red belt or a tiny future space-cop with a mace.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll vote change his resistances back to normal. What's the point of doing an LP if you just glitch your way through it if it serves no real purpose? That being said, I love this game. I don't know why, but I think out of the early "official" FFs, this one... is probably my favorite. It's bright, colorful, does a very good job of showing the effects the crystals have on the world, and Ben's "I don't give a gently caress" shrug is just awesome. He's just some guy who ends up wandering from place to place, being in the right place at the right time to save the day.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Dropping this off here. One of the best video game music covers ever. I remember finding the contest it won 10 years ago and being blown away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKtWjL0SNnk

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Leave him without Fire resistance. I kind of defend Aquaria because okay, at least the Wintry Cave makes sense as a detour because they don't know ingame that it's a dead end, but Fireburg is pain and hell and Reuben is the worst of everything so make him suffer.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Normal Fire resistance!

I always liked Reuben as a kid because he hit for :siren:BIG NUMBERS:siren: but yeah he kinda sucks. Really everyone except Phoebe is pretty much the worst, including NPCs. Like the Mega Grenade guy. "Only I know how to use these . . . uh wait nope you just chuck 'em wherever."

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Normal resistance.

If he sucks that bad, he needs everything he can get.

Guarstine
Sep 5, 2013

I did not know that Ruben was a tiny Orguss.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

The numerical representation of HP is too much for my dumb 'murican brain to comprehend. Could you turn the HP bars back on for an update or two?

I no joke have a tougher time with the bars than the numerical values. That's why I always keep them on, it adds variety and makes the game a little bit more difficult.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Normal Fire resistance. Having just that is more valuable than the ones carried over from Phoebe in this section. Shrug doesn't have fire resistance yet, and may need to get brought back to life repeatedly until he does. Especially at level 14. And without fire resistance, Reuben is going to be going down almost as fast as Shrug through this part of the game. With fire resistance, this section of the game will be easier and faster, and the sooner we can ditch Reuben the better.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I can kinda see how the European art for the other characters came from their sprites, but how did they get this from a character who's very clearly wearing a helmet?

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I always see Reuben as having fangs, but alas, he does not. drat you for sucking so much Reuben.

Sure was nice of the developers to give every party member the life spell, even those who have no business having it.

cardinal direction
Feb 20, 2011

This shit is bananas
Switching to life bars isn't a problem at all. Maybe we'll finish out this area with them! Thinking about it, it's pretty appropriate that Reuben gets to experience them. Speaking of, it looks like we'll be allowing him one small mercy and letting Reuben keep his resistance unless that changes in like an hour or something. Don't get me wrong, Reuben is really bad but he can hold his own. He's just a huge step back from Phoebe.

But just look at that grateful face!

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

If he didn't have fire resistance around here, he'd be a toasted Reuben by now. :D

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

cardinal direction posted:

But just look at that grateful face!

And that worthless weapon! Look at that dinky little thing, he'd be better off just punching monsters.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Derek Barona posted:

And that worthless weapon! Look at that dinky little thing, he'd be better off just punching monsters.

Hilariously enough, that dinky little thing has an enormous amount of force behind it. That can break bones, crunch through armor and do some nasty internal damage even with a "blocked" hit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The problem here is that our expectations re: weapon size have been completely ruined by years of JRPGs and anime. That's a reasonably realistically-sized morningstar (though held by a rather oversized Reuben). If that spiked ball hits you then you're in for a world of pain.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

If he didn't have fire resistance around here, he'd be a toasted Reuben by now. :D

:flame:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The problem here is that our expectations re: weapon size have been completely ruined by years of JRPGs and anime. That's a reasonably realistically-sized morningstar (though held by a rather oversized Reuben). If that spiked ball hits you then you're in for a world of pain.

I'm not sure what you're talking abo--

Oh right.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Not denying it'd still hurt like a bastard, especially swung by a guy with arms that size, but it's still undersized by a few chain links. It's the equivalent of a broken pool cue compared to a full sized staff. Still gonna hurt, but the range is a bit under par for the weapon class.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It actually doesn't look too far off from Wikipedia's take on a flail.

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011
Hmm. When I was a kid and paid no attention to stats I always really liked Reuben. I haven't played this game in years and had no idea he was so objectively terrible.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Hmm. When I was a kid and paid no attention to stats I always really liked Reuben. I haven't played this game in years and had no idea he was so objectively terrible.

If you were like me as a kid and tended to not use magic much at all until the end of the game when you had spells that wreck everything, then yeah, Reuben seemed pretty good at the time. After all, he can one-shot most enemies in this area, while Shrug takes two for everything! :wow:

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I'm gonna be honest, but I was stuck for a long rear end time in trying to figure out what to do next in that tower when all you had to do was to push that pillar, then jump over on the other floor.

To my credit, I was eight or so at the time, when I didn't understand English very well back then. Second language and all.

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008
Reuben was always my favorite character when I was a kid, and I literally have no idea why. He's not good in combat, he's playable for the shortest amount of time out of any of the party members, and he's kind of an idiot.

Maybe I just liked carting around a party member that made me feel superior. Or maybe his sprite just looks the coolest, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Bregor posted:

Oh right.

Is this the scene where Sephiroth stabs Aeris in the new FF 7 remake?

• Locked thread