Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I would also like to play Russians. Last time I played combat mission I had a terrible disaster where I let my recon unit get pounded, so tradition states I should be manning support, but let's not repeat that and go for Platoon or Co infantry commander because why not eh?

You need to put yourself in the spreadsheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This thread will still be open and have overall updates for the peanut gallery, right?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If it's okay with ya, please mark in the spreadsheet if you have any experience with CM games, and if you have played Red Thunder in particular. Say

has played other Combat Mission titles
has played Red Thunder

That way we can see if either side needs balancing

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

gradenko_2000 posted:

This thread will still be open and have overall updates for the peanut gallery, right?

Yeah, so you guys can all laugh as they drive a tank towards a load of infantry....

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, so you guys can all laugh as they drive a tank towards a load of infantry....

Davin, Herp, Fangz and the rest of No Retreat's greatest hits have signed up, there's no way I'm missing that!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Davin, Herp, Fangz and the rest of No Retreat's greatest hits have signed up, there's no way I'm missing that!

Spoiler alert: I'm not terribly incompetent with Combat Mission. Also, Fangz decided to step out.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Grey, can I provide completely useless strategic advice in the threads? It will all be along the lines of "CHARGE THOSE MACHINES GUNS YOU FUCKERS" or "I think here's a great place to hold position. Just ignore the Artillery that bombarded it last turn. Surely they've run out of shells"

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Are you making your own map Grey?

If you do happen to be taking user suggestions, here's one that I played Steel Panthers on once.

Apologies for the lovely scan, I sketched it up in a break at work.

Starts, objectives, Size etc. could be anything you like.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

Are you making your own map Grey?

If you do happen to be taking user suggestions, here's one that I played Steel Panthers on once.

Apologies for the lovely scan, I sketched it up in a break at work.

Starts, objectives, Size etc. could be anything you like.

It strikes me that putting stuff like buildings near the center of the action will make more sense and make the terrain actually get used.

Maybe put a few buildings near the railroad? And a road connecting it to the village. When the people unload the train they gotta get it to the village somehow.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Krysmphoenix posted:

It strikes me that putting stuff like buildings near the center of the action will make more sense and make the terrain actually get used.

Maybe put a few buildings near the railroad? And a road connecting it to the village. When the people unload the train they gotta get it to the village somehow.

Good suggestions. It was more of a 'game' map than a real map, hence the hills are symetrical to give both sides a chance to dominate the valley. When I played it, the village didn't exist, that and the south was all trees, making for an infantry dominated map where the armour met in the valley, resulting in chaos, so when I drew it this time, I tried to create an equal armour/infantry dominated map.

It's just a jumping off point for maps, I'm not even sure, Grey might already have one in mind for all I know. I certainly won't be offended if we go with something else completely different.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I've picked the map now, and I have both army selections, so I plan on doing the video tour tonight and getting that up so people can see what they think.

After that, we'll split into different threads and start divvying up the troops. This will be the long part on my end, as I need to do all then photoshop stuff before hand - once the photoshop files are made up, it should be quicker after each turn, but getting every unit an icon will take a little time.

That said, I can be doing that while you lot are deciding on your deployments.....

(still plenty of time to sign up is what I'm saying)

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I equalized the platoon leader counts, am up for whatever though if needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONKNwtlaF44

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Grey Hunter posted:

I've picked the map now, and I have both army selections, so I plan on doing the video tour tonight and getting that up so people can see what they think.

After that, we'll split into different threads and start divvying up the troops. This will be the long part on my end, as I need to do all then photoshop stuff before hand - once the photoshop files are made up, it should be quicker after each turn, but getting every unit an icon will take a little time.

That said, I can be doing that while you lot are deciding on your deployments.....

(still plenty of time to sign up is what I'm saying)

You could advertise in the various grognard/wargame threads in games and TG

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grumio posted:

I'll go and evangelize in the grog game thread.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Spoiler alert: I'm not terribly incompetent with Combat Mission. Also, Fangz decided to step out.

Yeah, I think I prefer to laugh from a safe distance. I am expecting a lot of you, Herp. A LOT.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Welp, signed up as a German tank commander, though I'm willing to switch sides/roles as necessary to keep everyone happy.

Since I have precisely zilch experience with Combat Mission, and my grasp of tactics is roughly equivalent to that of a particularly dim toad, I am sure there's no way this can go wrong, right? :downs:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

There is the map I have selected. I'm part way through a Distant Worlds update, but once I've done that, I'll get to work on the threads for the two sides.

(Click for video)

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I really enjoy Combat Mission and would love to participate, but I am going to be out of the country for all of September, and both sides look even at the moment. I think I will just spectate.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
That map looks interesting. I'd have plenty of questions already but I better wait until the separate threads open. :hitler:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

There is the map I have selected. I'm part way through a Distant Worlds update, but once I've done that, I'll get to work on the threads for the two sides.

(Click for video)

"River... fordable probably all the way across"
*goes down to show the unfordable (blue) river bottom*

Grey... :allears:

I fear he's not going to tell us all these important things and those fords are actually infantry fords and uncrossable by vehicles

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
We'll just have to deploy the tank/submarine convertibles.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

We'll just have to deploy the tank/submarine convertibles.

Not to mention the PzIII and PzIV both had deep wading gear as well. Not sure about the Panther though. What about the Russians? I don't know if they ever employed deep wading gear.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
1970 war/adventure TV series says they did, and if I can't trust that, what else can I trust?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Grumio posted:

Comedy option: challenge GIP

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Late signup hope we're still good.

Two things I'd like to see:

Allow attackers to choose the time, random if meeting, and random weather.

Let the team see the picked force before committing so we don't end up with another unlimbered incident.

Though you being you, I'm sure both of those were already in your plans.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

another unlimbered incident.

This sounds ominous.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I would love to sign up, but I'm on my phone and it doesn't like spreadsheets. Can somebody else add me in? Company command, either side, I've played other CM games but not RT.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

dublish posted:

I would love to sign up, but I'm on my phone and it doesn't like spreadsheets. Can somebody else add me in? Company command, either side, I've played other CM games but not RT.

You are now the 4th Russkie company CO! (but with a 'can change sides' star by your name)

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

You are now the 4th Russkie company CO! (but with a 'can change sides' star by your name)

Fantastic, thanks! I have no experience with the Soviets, so I feel I am perfectly suited to command a bunch of cannon fodder Russians.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Heyheyheyhey by the time this game is set, the Soviet Army had gotten its head out of its butt and kicked things into high gear. There'll be no talk of cannon fodder and Enemy at the Gates references shall be punishable by :commissar:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
drat that spreadsheet is a mess.

I tinkered with things here and there. If you missed it, there is notations for your experience with the game as well as if you're willing to swap countries or roles. Please edit your entries responsibly.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

drat that spreadsheet is a mess.

I tinkered with things here and there. If you missed it, there is notations for your experience with the game as well as if you're willing to swap countries or roles. Please edit your entries responsibly.

It's a glorious representation of what's to come.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
So, when do our Company Commanders tell us what we are commanding? Or will we get to discuss what pieces we want?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Obviously not until we get separate threads.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Well I grey and the German commander will tell you what you are commanding. The company commanders will tell you where to attack in the battle. I and the German commander will give those company's axes of attack. All of this will be done in the other threads though.

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!
No idea what this game is or anything but I'll be a Russian platoon leader and send my men to their deaths.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

RedLobster posted:

No idea what this game is or anything but I'll be a Russian platoon leader and send my men to their deaths.

quote:

It is in vain that you think that victory can be achieved by using "people's meat." Victory is achieved through the art of combat. War is waged with skill, not with people's lives.
—Order of G. K. Zhukov to I. G. Zakharkin on 7 March 1942

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Added my name as a platoon commander for the Russians, willing to change (though I'd prefer to be a infantry or multiple guns or something, rather than a single tank).

One thing that jumps out to me on the map is that there is only 1-2 places tanks look like they can exit their start positions. Hope everyone has time to get out of their start zone before the artillery strikes come in...

Edit - err, seems I am confused between 2 different games. Did the SS vs Commonwealth battle ever occur? Is there multiple objectives in this battle? It seemed to be a problem in the last one. Also, I hope there's isn't much or any off-board artillery to slow the game down or be too dominating.

The old allied video's from youtube all seem to be dead :(

Comstar fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 2, 2014

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
Combat mission: Oregon trail is what this map looks like. How many tanks/ squads will meet their end at the bottom of the river?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

eigenstate posted:

Combat mission: Oregon trail is what this map looks like. How many tanks/ squads will meet their end at the bottom of the river?

Panzerkampfwagen V ausf. D has caught dysentery!

• Locked thread