Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Added my name as a platoon commander for the Russians, willing to change (though I'd prefer to be a infantry or multiple guns or something, rather than a single tank).

One thing that jumps out to me on the map is that there is only 1-2 places tanks look like they can exit their start positions. Hope everyone has time to get out of their start zone before the artillery strikes come in...

Edit - err, seems I am confused between 2 different games. Did the SS vs Commonwealth battle ever occur? Is there multiple objectives in this battle? It seemed to be a problem in the last one. Also, I hope there's isn't much or any off-board artillery to slow the game down or be too dominating.

The old allied video's from youtube all seem to be dead :(

Comstar fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Do Red Army Commissar's shoot retreating troops? Do German commanders shoot anyone taking "One Step Back"?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
While reading through the old game #2 thread, I hope there isn't any Sherman's involved, that argument goes on for pages and the end game results gave some answers to that argument.

The US won for a variety of reasons, but it seems having Veteran vs Normal troops really decided the battle. The German tanks died to better shooting Sherman's - for a more interesting game, I hope both sides in this battle are the same level of experience.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wow. The Germans really did send a reinforced company south of the river, that did gently caress all. If they'd advanced towards the IS2's they could have forced them out of position, but they never did that either.

Glorious Soviet Navy deserves a Hero of the Soviet Union.

I never believed till the end that only 1 company was headed towards the objective, I was wrong.

Very unsportsmanlike to drop artillery on the Russian crossing, but it worked. Please- no rivers next time. And no heavy tanks for anyone.

I would like more zoomed in views of each company per turn.

The Germans really should have dropped some artillery on the IS2's as soon as they knew they were there.

My thinking for my HMG and ATG was a defensive position, but I know I was too cautious with my HMG at the end.

Perhaps the next battle could be an initial German defence, with an counter-attack group to come help? A pure defensive battle dosn't give much to do for the defenders.

I request that what ever side Herpicide goes on, I be on the other side. And he should be shot. By both sides. His original idea was to drop artillery to FOOL SPIES when it actually he was going to drop it in a useless place anyway. I am sorry I'm not seeing it land as it would have completed the destruction of the German company, but only though luck.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
German HQ's plan

Still going through their thread - WTF caused an entire reinforced company to go SOUTH?

Their plan seems to assume that no Russian Armour will fire at their flank as they move north. Whoops. And no consideration that the Russian forces will survive the river crossing. Or do anything north of the river.

"unwantedplatypus" posted:

Veloxyll posted:

Will they be fast enough though to let us race into the village before the Russians get there.

Well unless the Russians have hyper-advanced technology that gives them vehicles significantly faster than ours, then yes!

That hyper-advanced technology is called a T-34, T-70 and a truck.

unwantedplatypus posted:

"dislodging" We don't need to do dislodging if we're the ones lodged.

I don't fault unwantedplatypus for being new to the game, but I do fault him for having no idea how battles work. Though he's obviously not ready to be a Battalion Commander, he should probably have been a Company Commander.

The Germans are planning on not crossing the fords because it would be super dumb for the Russians to not drop artillery on them. Their own gameness came back to haunt them!

They seem to be spending a lot of time worrying about Russian attacks on the fords, and not actually about the objective.

unwantedplatypus posted:

We cannot hold that knoll against a concerted Russian attack. They can hit it from two sides with the cover of forests. Any units supporting that knoll would be exposed.

We will lose any fight we try to start south of the river. This is non-negotiable. They have more cover and more concealment. Plus they can block off any units trying to retreat by shooting through the 12/13/14 lines. Any units that take the knoll do not have any valid avenues of retreat.

So I'm really confused here. Is he saying NOT to start a fight south of the River? Because then, on the same page, the orders from German HQ, and the answer to my question. I cannot see why an entire company with armour support is send to secure a knoll the Russians don't care about.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Here are my orders

Company Orders

1st Company, attach tank riders to tanks. Anyone who can't fit will be used as the Valiantman sees fit, but should attempt to join up with the others ASAP. Tank riders will secure the rail station/village Never happened, but at least it's sending forces to the objective

2nd Company, try to gain control of the H14 knoll. If the enemy is too strong for you too handle there or you start racking up casualties, then retreat across the G12 ford with the support of friendly forces WTF. The Germans lost the battle right here.

4th Company, Mortars should help our fording efforts firstly, and stop the enemy fording efforts secondly. Use your other forces at your own discretionWas this ever done?

Tanks, pick up tank riders from 1st Company and secure that village. I want that rail station locked down. Support Companies 1 and 2 with your tanks.

unwantedplatypus posted:

The main force isn't going north, the main force is staying in the south until they get an opportunity to go north. They aren't going to send hundreds of sturmoviks to bomb literally all of our forces.

Additionally the "Empty space" we're covering includes the enemy's most viable ford and the rail station. The Russians cannot move their armor through that big forest at L11-16. Which means our MGs can deal with any problems that pop up there.

Our tanks, once they reach the village, can protect our infantry moving north to ford. Then the fight in the village escalates.

Even if his plan was based on what the Russian plan actually is, it STILL leaves everything south of the river unable to help in the Village and Objective once the Tanks reach it!!

German Side: The Russians will garrison that Fortress Forest! We must assault it!
Russian Side: We'd have to be crazy to station forces in the Fortress Forest, the Germans will surly drop artillery on it. We'll just park some Heavy Armour at the end and shoot at the flanks of enemy units going north.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 16, 2014

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I would like to be on the Russian side again. I do think that players should be charge of a weapon platoon, rather than single support weapons. It'd be a lot of extra work for Grey Hunter, but a larger battle with more companies/tanks/infantry platoons would be a good idea. Particularly on an attack/defence mission, the ATG's and HMG's probably are not going to move much.

Where can I find the kill totals?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I just want a platoon command on the Russian side, looks like lots of people want to be Company Commanders.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I don't think GH's going to have time for another game before December 7th rolls around. Anyways, thank you Grey Hunter, once again, for being hero and doing a lot of work for the rest of us. Do you have a Steam wishlist around, or GOG?

I do think that the game should be played from GH's maps and videos only. Yes, that means you can't see much, but that would be no different from a commander giving orders to a subordinate who can't explain where he is, to someone who only vaguely knows what he's doing, to get orders that clearly don't make sense to do a job that neither of them know what is important about it. It makes it hard when GH doesn't zoom in you (or you die off screen and no one but you notices), but that's how a lot of us will end up anyway. You have to go into it knowing the GM can't show you everything, or even what you really need to stay alive.

I'd be up for another game, but I would say make it a smaller map.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

sniper4625 posted:

Regarding LOS stuff, unless Grey had forbidden it at the beginning, I don't know why it's be unkosher to use it to get the detail Grey didn't provide. It's not like we were the only team with the game, and for all we knew you guys were doing the same thing.

Half way through the battle the Russians lost the update of who was where. One side had it at the end, the other side did not. I needed to spend 10-15 minutes at the end trying to work out which units were mine, and was using GH's map for movement, that walked me into a minefield that would have been marked otherwise. Everyone should be using the same map for movement and placement IMO. Even if I had the game to do it myself, I don't have 30 minutes every 2 days to spend plotting out my movement, little lone do it for other people OR hope someone else will spend an hour to give me perfect movement and LOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, looking at my free time allotment, I don't think I can do another round I'm afraid.

Sorry for those who were interested - hopefully another crazy kind soul will offer to keep this going in some format - but with the Shadowrun P&P game I'm starting this weekend and the fact that I need to do the art assets and first turns for WITP, I don't want to overburden myself and burn out.

Thank you for doing it all. I await the 7th of Dec with interest. Don't burn out, we have 5 more years of battle reports to read.

• Locked thread