Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Just so you don't miss it:

I posted:

We're a little boned on our organic anti-tank capability, as our six 57mm AT guns don't actually have any transport other than pushing them down the loving road, so there's that.

There were some...exciting moments with a commander new to the game selecting force comp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
That was the second one, run in the same threads. And, no, it was more fraught with drama than that.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Obviously not until we get separate threads.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Are you looking at the same sheet as the rest of us?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

Heyheyheyhey by the time this game is set, the Soviet Army had gotten its head out of its butt and kicked things into high gear. There'll be no talk of cannon fodder and Enemy at the Gates references shall be punishable by :commissar:

No, Comstar. Just you.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Are we doing this now? Yeah, I'll cheerfully lead troops behind Comrade uPen. Hopefully Asehujiko and I can remain Trickshot Company.

I bet you can pull off some sick noscopes with an ISU-152.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

eigenstate posted:

Amazing. Not even two hours since the last game finished prematurely because of unbalanced teams, everyone is trying to dogpile onto the winning team for the next one.

Join in! Apparently we're a hugbox. All the grizzled tough guys will play ze Chermans, I'm sure.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

Also sign me up for whichever team The Merry Marauder is in. Can't think of a better man to serve under.

You're the best, Hob.

To be fair, the attackers will have a larger force, so require more commanders. A balanced number of leaders would result in the "one heavy weapon to command" issue for the defender, which isn't much fun.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

So long as Soviets are attacking the teams are going to be a little off balance, of course. I myself didn't die, so I am keeping my role in the great patriotic army.

Maybe I'll do more then blow up MG teams. :v:

29 kills, Comrade! What levels of heroism you must aspire to!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

uPen posted:

I was going to grab it but you can take it if you want.

You should certainly have a high-level command. I'd personally prefer someone with the game, as you do, be CO, but I'm not gonna be political about it.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Comstar posted:

Particularly on an attack/defence mission, the ATG's and HMG's probably are not going to move much.

Yeah, at that point you are basically dorfing yourself to see your name in print, rather than have agency. But if it does work out that way, it's a good sort of reserve position if someone has to drop out of a mobile command.

Comstar posted:

Where can I find the kill totals?

The last retreat phase video Grey posted. He clicks around to (most) all the units at the end, look in the bottom left.

Re: team shuffling, anything that starts with "Enter values into a table..." is too involved for my interest. The game will survive if experience isn't precisely balanced. Experience doesn't make you immune from incorrect choices. There's already a raft of veteran players on the German side now, anyway.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 17, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

the JJ posted:

To be fair, our CO wanted to take halftracks and trucks but was talked out of it because those were too wasteful point wise. :iiam:

Probably a good idea, since that and light recon are what the T-70s were there to handle.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Asehujiko is in and I suspect would very much like an assault gun.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I look forward to this hot Armee on Front action.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Aha! The fascists have infantry!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Velius posted:

That reminds me, did you Soviets have any indication of just how little we had North? I suspect I'd you had moved an IS-2 or ISU into the area directly east of the farm, where the Panther is now, you could have cleared me out in short order.

Yeah, but we wanted the buildings intact. I suggested mortaring (what turned out to be) you twenty, twenty-five game minutes ago (there was TRP right on the farm), but so it goes.

Bacarruda posted:

There's a few ways we could do this

1) Run a campaign (one-sided or head-to-head). Goons pick a unit and then command it over the course of the campaign. There was quite a good LP of Shock Force's UK campaign that did this.

Yeah, this was a lot of fun. Hob was my CO for part of it, in fact. Dodged so many RPGs.

It'd probably be less fraught with personality conflicts. Maybe?

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 1, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

To me this sounds wholly unappealing. I'm not interested in the game per se; I'm interested in the people. How people communicate their plans, orders and ideas while still utilizing the brains of people under them in the chain of command. Remove that and the game becomes Just Another Wargame.

Agreed.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Fangz posted:

With this map, we are basically constrained in a number of ways - on the eastern town, there's a very limited number of approaches we can take. The North, the Forest, and South across the river. While the map is large, in theory, when limited to the approaches it was actually quite tight. People ask if we could have swapped out a tank for an infantry company, and I'd ask - where the heck would we put them? We were squeezing a lot of companies into locations I was not super comfortable putting more than a platoon into. I don't think at any point we really had a shortage of manpower.

The answer to that is "safely behind another one." Pushing a fresh SMG company through 4th Co's lines right nowish would be brutal, and give 4th needed time to resupply and reorg. A fresh assault force for the objective would undo all the work the Germans put into attriting the first wave on contact.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Turns out you actually blew up two (maybe three?) houses full of Germans, FWIW.

Casualties always look different from the other side.

e: Really, the way to solve the "little to do" issue if this ever happens again is for command staff to be chosen first, conduct unit selection, and then recruit players. Sticking Germans with two MGs well behind the lines or a mortar unit that had zero chance to give independent orders was lovely. If you recruit to an OOB, you can give someone in an overwatch role a maneuver element to dick around with. Fewer players overall, but more involved, and hopefully, less of an atrophied playerbase.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 1, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

To be honest, we had no idea anything was there until that truck got strafed. The planes were actually most useful as "put artillery here" markers.

Those western TRPs were mostly meant to drop a smoke screen on.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Man, those casualties were a lot closer together than I thought they'd be. If we'd managed to keep our tank assets alive we would have had this in the bag.

Hob and Apostate really did splat whole teams on several occasions. I don't know if Grumio saw it, but that 2-story house he 152'd killed a whole HMG section.

"Find Germans with scouts, suppress them with mortars, vaporize them with armor" was working pretty well. It would have helped if "scouts" were more of a team and less "most of a platoon" on a couple occasions, but some of that's the order format. I wish we'd had a 152 in the south from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Peanut3141 posted:

Honestly, it makes sense for the defenders to have thoroughly surveyed the area where they're setting up defenses while waiting for the hammer (and sickle) to fall.

If you want to get roleplaying spergy about it, you could do something like this:
In attack/defend scenarios the defenders can do as much in-game LOS testing as they want to simulate days/weeks of on-site preparation ahead of the battle, the attacker none.
In meeting engagements, neither can do so.

Maybe in a different context, but as this is during Bagration, when the Germans were in full "randomly chuck things in front of the Soviets in the hope of stopping them before the Vistula" mode, there's not a whole lot of methodical prep going on on the micro scale.

• Locked thread