Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I might as well join in. There seems to be room in German platoons, right? I put myself there. Right now both sides have three company commanders for five platoons, GOONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

meeting engagement in a village winning so far.

I don't have a problem with meeting engagements, it works better with the audience than sitting on your thumb waiting for the attack. Might be interesting though if the victory locations were edited so that there's nothing in the middle of the map but there were victory locations on both sides of the map, close to start zones (but not immediately in). I think this might encourage more mobile, aggressive tactics than just an initial :zerg: to the middle and subsequent camping by either side.

One thing I recall well from the last game is how abysmally the German heavy kitties fared against Yank tanks, I'm scared already how nasty it'll get with Soviet heavies... this Stalin took a dozen 75mm hits and a Panzerfaust to stop in my last quickie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6rAYBdu4Bs

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

unwantedplatypus posted:

Wait do you mean Shermans were killing Tigers from the front? Or were they just using hellcats, sluggers, easy 8s, etc.?

I recall it was M10s without Tungsten, usually one shot kills before German tanks even got to react.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There's no particular vulnerability. It was more of a fluke, there's always weak spots and shot traps or sometimes the crew bails after a single partial penetration while at other times they continue fighting.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

If it's okay with ya, please mark in the spreadsheet if you have any experience with CM games, and if you have played Red Thunder in particular. Say

has played other Combat Mission titles
has played Red Thunder

That way we can see if either side needs balancing

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grumio posted:

You could advertise in the various grognard/wargame threads in games and TG

I'll go and evangelize in the grog game thread.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

There is the map I have selected. I'm part way through a Distant Worlds update, but once I've done that, I'll get to work on the threads for the two sides.

(Click for video)

"River... fordable probably all the way across"
*goes down to show the unfordable (blue) river bottom*

Grey... :allears:

I fear he's not going to tell us all these important things and those fords are actually infantry fords and uncrossable by vehicles

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Someone asked in the spreadsheet how big forces will we have. I don't know what Grey has in his mind but the max is 7209 points (Huge meeting engagement) which buys you a samovarload of poo poo, for example: a platoon (5x) of Panthers, a platoon (4x) of Hetzers and two companies of mech infantry on halftracks along with a heavy arty battery and some flak and flamethrower vehicles for Germans, or a company (10x) of T-34/85s with a Tankodesantniki company and sapper platoon, a company (x5) of IS-2s and a loving rifle battalion for Russians. This on an average attributes, you can fudge the values by making them fearless elite supermen or conscript mice.

Goons have signed in for approximately a battalion of infantry (three companies) and one or two platoons of tanks on each side, so it seems that we can go hogwild!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Okay, that'll leave us with... 4282 points. That's barely enough for 5 Pz IV's and three companies of Grenadiers, or 10 T-34's and three Rifle companies.

Say, it would be nice if we had more leeway so both sides could afford some higher quality stuff and a bit of artillery too. Could we have a compromise and make it a huge battle but only spend 5500 points?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Execu-speak posted:

Question, does CMRT allow wego on TCP/IP???

One of the things that frustrates me about the more recent CM games is they did away with wego for TCP/IP play. Trying to control a battalion sized battle in real time is a nightmare.

Yes, although it's without replays, ie. forced pause once a minute followed by one minute of no interaction. It's not as good as the original system but at least it doesn't require hyperactive clicking around, you can just sit back and watch as SNAFU hits the fan.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

We've already picked forces

Oh. If the forces have been picked already doesn't that mean that joining is closed, what with you can't have more commanders than there are command posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Soup Inspector posted:

Quick question - how much help will complete neophytes like myself get? Sure, our panicked flailing is probably going to be amusing, but I imagine that our team mates would appreciate it if we could at least muster something approaching worthwhile actions.

Just follow the suicidal orders coming down the chain of command and you should do no worse than others.

There's a demo for PC and Mac so if you have time you could get some feel of the mechanics so it doesn't come as a surprise when your squad leader dies and the others panic and rout. The demo also includes the manual, including descriptions of all vehicles and weapons in the game.

• Locked thread