Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've put my name down for a Russian platoon, but I'll go for any infantry command that is open. I take it company command would be a bad idea for someone who has never played the game and lives in a completely different time zone to everybody else? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

For those who are interested, and have archives, the last game is here:

Neutral
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441897
Allies
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450776
Axis
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450770

And here is what you can tell your mans to do.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Readingaccount posted:

You have first dibs unwantedplatypus, I don't wanna nab it you were warming up to it. If not I thinkk I'd like to have a shot at just giving general directions and see if it actually works. :v:

If not the top boss, I think that style could possibly work very well with as a company commander.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Are you making your own map Grey?

If you do happen to be taking user suggestions, here's one that I played Steel Panthers on once.

Apologies for the lovely scan, I sketched it up in a break at work.

Starts, objectives, Size etc. could be anything you like.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Krysmphoenix posted:

It strikes me that putting stuff like buildings near the center of the action will make more sense and make the terrain actually get used.

Maybe put a few buildings near the railroad? And a road connecting it to the village. When the people unload the train they gotta get it to the village somehow.

Good suggestions. It was more of a 'game' map than a real map, hence the hills are symetrical to give both sides a chance to dominate the valley. When I played it, the village didn't exist, that and the south was all trees, making for an infantry dominated map where the armour met in the valley, resulting in chaos, so when I drew it this time, I tried to create an equal armour/infantry dominated map.

It's just a jumping off point for maps, I'm not even sure, Grey might already have one in mind for all I know. I certainly won't be offended if we go with something else completely different.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Grumio posted:

You could advertise in the various grognard/wargame threads in games and TG

Comedy option: challenge GIP

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

dublish posted:

I would love to sign up, but I'm on my phone and it doesn't like spreadsheets. Can somebody else add me in? Company command, either side, I've played other CM games but not RT.

You are now the 4th Russkie company CO! (but with a 'can change sides' star by your name)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Some comments on the last few pages

Viewpoints: A far zoomed view might be dull viewing, but it's vital for seeing where the forces as a whole are headed. I imagine the higher commanders especially will need it.

Maps: Find another map. I think this one is biased towards the east side; we had easier access with more cover over it. Stop fighting across valleys! the normandy game did this as well.

Nothing wrong with the shelling on the fords. Someone on the axis analysed everything and got us perfectly. (My[/brakeless'] poor pixelmans were honoured to be on the recieving end.)I would definetly protest over shelling of the spawn because the victims have no choice but to be there. If you can predict where the enemy will be in five minutes time, more power to you.

Reinforcements: We have to balance rewarding the soviets with giving the germans a chance. Perhaps when the soviets choose their forces they could receive some free upvets?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Fangz posted:

EDIT2: Jaguars!, are you rejoining us?

No, I won't be playing a full time position this round. For the sake of balance, I was thinking of volunteering as a tactical advisor for the germans, do they think they'll need one?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There, there, Mans, there there. I feel sorry for you too, HMGs should never cover the most miles.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

XOing for fun and profit:

I only signed up for this game because I though watching a repeat of the previous German shitshow would be less funny the second time around.

I think the most important thing I did was try and make the command changeovers smoother. Trying to make sure everyone's questions were answered and making sure everyone was well informed was next priority.

Assume good faith - no one taking part in these games is dumb and hopeless tactics usually come from inexperience. Anyone who reads LP (Sorry; 'Nofriendo Entertainment System', which cuts right to the bone :() knows that computer explosions, internet outages and visits from the inlaws prevent people from participating all the time, and it doesn't make sense to lose people completely for those reasons. I tried to make sure that players of minor units weren't ignored when their posts got lost between the big tactical discussions, because those were the guys who eventually filled in the gaps.

The hardest bit was often keeping my mouth shut when questionable moves were mooted, I tried to jump in only when someone had completely failed to appreciate some aspect of the game. Sometimes, what you think is 'wrong' can really surprise you (Leeroooy Panther being the prime example, I sighed inwardly and took a quick posting holiday when I saw that one.)

I tried throughout to keep the admin stuff off the CO, so that when he did his couple of hours of posting he could discuss tactics, not command assignment and explaining mechanics, and I tried to make sure that orders were possible to interpret for Grey, they were far from perfect, but including a map as standard definitely helped.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

Making that map was one of my more exciting jobs - 26 6000x4000 (I think) images, none of which aligned perfectly due to viewing angles. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I remember I made a super lame one with blurred terrain and only the biggest grid lines - did that ever make it to the Soviet thread like some people asked for? Haven't gotten that early in the RedThread.

Thanks also to Dralun for supplying the images.

I did suggest it at one stage, but didn't really get any feedback on the idea so in the end I dropped it.

Fellfire, you kinda got a rough billet there because you only had a few units to command, which were already being micromanaged by their section commanders and even the company commanders. I thin kyou did as well as could be expected in those circumstances.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

This is why I was really surprised when the Russians called it. We always exchanged hits on a one for one basis (Except on the ridgeline farm), and if we didn't improve that rate, when we lost our last man, the Sovs would still have at least a hundred men left.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Abongination, heres how I did the contour map:

1. Finding an old ordinance survey map, It was just a matter of finding a searching google right. Studienka didn't work, but Bryli (The town on the west side) has a slightly less common name and I think is a bit bigger today, so that got some positive results. I found a site that archived old russian map series, kind of hard to navigate but I was lucky to find it and some trial and error let me find the right maps.

2. I stayed behind after work one day and used a CAD program to load in the game map. Then I loaded in a cropped version of the survey map and rectified it (I matched up a bunch of points from the survey map with the equivalent points on the game map. For example, the point of the forest where Route 66 split into two.) This rotates and scales the survey map to match the game map very closely.

3. Turned off the layer with the game map and drew lines matching the contours on the survey map. This actually took the most time because the section of the survey map showing Studienka was only a few centimeters across and the contour lines on it tended to disappear under all the other features, so making sure I didn't mix up contours took a while.

4. Printed it directly to .tif, I tried to use some paint programs to transfer the contours to a higher res map, but it didn't work. did a whole lot of bodged formatting, hence the final map had huge white borders and a few other formatting issues.

The Sovs seemed to get theirs directly from the game, thus skipping the whole CAD drawing step. Their map was more accurate as well since they weren't scaling up from a small scale map.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 3, 2014

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

dublish posted:

Yeah, we made an enormous map out of screenshots from the scenario editor with the elevation numbers turned on, then played connect-the-dot.

How much work did that take?

A Couple of map sites:

This awesome russian site covers the whole world with Russian and US army maps. You should be able to zoom in to where you want and see which series of maps is best. Of course, Russia is covered in more detail.

Here's a map of the St Lo area, which shows Monthardrou. You should be able to find where you want by starting at St Lo and comparing it to the town names/ major roads on Google maps. It's a little more zoomed out than ideal, A 1:50 000 or closer map would give you better detail.

Your best bet is to include St Lo or Caen in your search terms, as well as 'topographic', which is the type of map with contour lines on it.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 3, 2014

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It took about 3 hours for me to rectify and trace for my map, not including search time. Less boring as well, if you did it all tile by tile. I could probably do it a bit quicker as well now that I know the process.

I'm quite happy to contourise a map or two, especially if someone helps by finding good maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I traced the contours for the Monthardrou map. (I didn't realise you'd done that as well!) The second one is an overlay that could be put over your main map. The yellow marks are there to help you align it. Heights are in real elevation as well. The contour labels face uphill.

It's an interesting bit of terrain, a sort of saddle between two ridgelines. Quite a weird formation!

E: I Think you need a example of muddled, verbose orders in your OP!

E: Further Edit: Mention that orders are usually drawn in MSpaint or Paint.net so newbs don't think they require photoshop or something

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 4, 2014

• Locked thread