Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
German infantry commander please. :)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Thanks!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I'll move up to Company CO to replace you unwantedplatypus.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jun 27, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Yeah, I changed my mind. :)

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
So, when do our Company Commanders tell us what we are commanding? Or will we get to discuss what pieces we want?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
After reviewing the sign up doc and my initial posts I have no words for why I genuinely thought I was a Russian, other than some crazy days of flamboyant schemers and now travelling with only occasional IPhone wifi. Anyho, I think I should withdraw whether that's necessary or not and stay in this thread.

Good game all!

Edit: At least I think this sort of gives me the speed record for being knocked out of a CM game, a German officer wanders off to the Russian line and is politely told he may have gotten lost before he plugs himself in embarrassment.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jul 4, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Grey transmuted artillery into AT?

That's painful for the German team, how long did it get into the game before this was discovered?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
So are those German ATs left behind going to see any action?

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 10, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
The German player isn't pulling back even a little?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Willie Tomg posted:

And--counterintuitively!--extraordinarily tiring which is going to spell bad things for follow-on maneuvers. Y'know, after the shells fall.

Turns out a belly-crawl for more than 20m or so really takes it out of a guy hauling 30kg of poo poo. Who'da thunk?

So it's basically combat movement, where you know the enemy is close and you're on full adrenalin and in the optimal frame of mind to react against mortal peril every second, which is draining even if you're just guarding a corner and not moving or carrying anything.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 17, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
But didn't they already lose two self-propelled guns? I take it the armor is a LOT heavier on those heavy tanks?
That northern passage kind of seems like a bad place to be, even though the guns basically asked for it by moving slowly and/or coming to a stop.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Just read a Soviet post and realized for the first time the sheer number of tanks the Soviets have (and haven't been using). :0
I thought there was some mention of them having twice the build points.

Still think moving into that field was a questionable move though (as opposed to storming the town with six tanks, even without the extra infantry cover pinned down far out on the flank), as it is the German side is landing a lot more hits given their better spotting and prepared positions, it's going to do vital damage sooner or later, and the Soviet crews ought to be shaken now. And if that KT had stayed it would've been a killing field.

The 88 is going to die from mortars though, though I'm guessing at least one IS-2 will be dead by then and the other maneuvering to escape, unless they get a bit lucky and kill the Tiger first.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 28, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
If the commander of the Panther that can take the two IS-2s in the flank goes with the plan, the Germans will basically have won.
Kenzie already tested it, the Soviet tanks don't have LoS to it, and those kills will be easy. Maybe Barracuda missed his analysis, since he mentioned he was worried about the LoS of the Soviet tanks whose LoS Kenzie tested.

I'm assuming his simulation was accurate, but I can't see any factors that would get in the way, as there aren't any Soviet tanks unaccounted for that we know of (and the Germans seem sure they know where all of the enemy armors are).

Edit: Grey, assuming the Soviets give up after the coming round, maybe you could convince them to continue for a bit, just so we get to see the ATs being wiped out by mortar barrages? :)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 30, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Good thing Arbite's onboard.
Nice to see Kenzie went with the original plan. The angle on the subsequent ones didn't feel right, or would have taken more time to get there. The details he's providing are just pinpoint deadly, no room for misunderstandings.

The Soviets are going to surrender after this round.
Hopefully they can be convinced to stick it out for another two minutes to get some scenic payback on those ATs and the German infantry at the edge of town.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 30, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I don't think the Germans will give up if they lose one Panther to the unintentionally potential counterflank. They seem like they might play to the end even after losing their ATs. Starting a scenario with half strength and setting up multiple lines of defense breeds a dogged mindset, I suppose.
Is the tank the Soviets are sending forward buttoned up? If it is it won't see the Panther.

... btw., Grey, is there a point limit for these games, other than how much your PC can crunch? I was just starting to watch the smaller area of last match, and I was thinking if you multiplied the amount of points by say 20-100 you could recreate WW1 conditions with WW2 equipment.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 31, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Even with a high-end optimized gaming PC?

How many are we running now, btw?
Thanks.

Figures it'd be kind of low, what with it simulating ricochets.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
In their defense, a lot of observers thought it was a great idea.
Gotta hand it to the Soviets, looks like they're probably staying to try and turn this around, and TMM wants to see the mortar barrages fall. :black101: They still have four tanks, a lot more infantry than the Germans and two bombers left, so they can still take this, though it'll be difficult with the KT on overwatch and the clock ticking down as they need to take both objectives.

If the Panther charges forward it'll be hard for the last ISU to survive other than by backing up NNE to present its frontal armor to the KT and Panther, or just backing up forwards the hill as fast as it can go.

Grey, could you maybe go through the arty missions to help TMM? Seems like that would make him really happy.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 31, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I think they need both if they've lost more points after taking the first objective, which at this point is virtually unavoidable.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Yeah, a suicide charge would be neat to watch.

---

I'd like to play some scout cars or motorcycles!

Kenzie posted:

I would be interested if it's not too much trouble. I noticed you were running multiple LPs at the same time which must be a hell of a lot of work.

He's always doing that. Grey is the Ozymandias of LPers.
His comfort limit seems to be like 3-4 at a time, though goodness knows what he's theoretically capable of.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 1, 2014

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Couldn't we have a really small map with 2 batallions on each side? Think of the glorious mess! You could lose troops and then some, just as long as everyone uses quick and dirty orders.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Is it possible to buy units with insufficient arms and ammunition or horrible skill to simulate supply and manpower shortages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Kenzie posted:

This kind of thing plays a major role in the historical scenarios/campaigns. You can get units with skill/morale levels ranging from conscript/green/regular/veteran/crack/elite. The differences can be huge and it's fun to play with. This was one of the things I loved about the Market Garden campaigns. You get to see the best and worst that the German army has to offer. In one scenario you're going up against a lovely German penal battalion that runs away the moment a shot is fired at them. Then in the next scenario, your guys move down the highway a bit and are suddenly halted in a bloody battle with veteran or crack fallschirmjäger guys.

There's a series of scenarios where you control a single platoon of veteran US paratroopers that dropped near the German border. You attack a small village and a hotel, clear it from the crappy rear-area security troops, and then come under a counterattack from a whole battalion of lovely (I think Luftwaffe) infantry. Each one of your squads would go up against an entire company, and even single US airborne squads get so much firepower that you can just shred them. Later on though, the Germans attack again, this time with an entire fallschirmjäger battalion with Panther tanks. That was fun (I got slaughtered).

:magical: ... ok, now I see why the price tag is worth it.

• Locked thread