Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Welp, signed up as a German tank commander, though I'm willing to switch sides/roles as necessary to keep everyone happy.

Since I have precisely zilch experience with Combat Mission, and my grasp of tactics is roughly equivalent to that of a particularly dim toad, I am sure there's no way this can go wrong, right? :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

another unlimbered incident.

This sounds ominous.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Quick question - how much help will complete neophytes like myself get? Sure, our panicked flailing is probably going to be amusing, but I imagine that our team mates would appreciate it if we could at least muster something approaching worthwhile actions.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Just follow the suicidal orders coming down the chain of command and you should do no worse than others.

There's a demo for PC and Mac so if you have time you could get some feel of the mechanics so it doesn't come as a surprise when your squad leader dies and the others panic and rout. The demo also includes the manual, including descriptions of all vehicles and weapons in the game.

Grey Hunter posted:

I'll make sure to tell you if something is impossible, but each thread should have someone who can play in it, if not, I'm fine for the penut gallery to chip in for purely mechanical things.

Okay, thank you! I was mostly worried about wasting time doing something blatantly impossible.

I will do my best to make my superiors proud curse my blithering incompetence. For the Fatherland! :downs:

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

3. Speaking of Panthers, who was driving the Panther that shot north? I don't think you realize how easily you could have sanitized the rail yard, and all we had was a couple of emplaced AT guns and a plucky squad of tank hunters to slow you down. Thank YHWH that RedLobster had his dudes on the first story, if he'd had that SMG squad on the second story as intended that could have changed a lot.

That would be me. I was trying to strike a balance between aggressive manoeuvre and not unnecessarily exposing myself. I will fully admit that the IS-2 smacking the Pz. IV early on spooked me, so I played more tentatively then perhaps I should have been. My plan was to curve around and strike your right flank and roll it up, though, so if I hadn't been so anxious I would've been knocking on your door sooner rather than later.

By the way, do we need to sign up again for the next round? I've been out of the loop for a bit since I was travelling.

e:

Because if so, sign me up for another round as whatever, ideally a German tank driver. It was good fun!

Soup Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 16, 2014

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

simplefish posted:

I think the best shuffle would be entering experience into a table, assigning a value to it (e.g. No CM experience =0, these LPs =1, CM Touch =2, other CM=3, RT=4, with an extra category for those who own the game and are willing to check LOS), balancing the German and Soviet player pools based on these scores, picking two Top Commanders, having them select forces (game units) and have ultimate say on who gets what (from a pool of people saying "I want xyz", and if the commander wishes, first come first served or any other selection method) with those who do not get given units (and who wish to) sticking round in the pool and not reading other threads in case a replacement or 5 is needed.

This might be weighted to keep zero experience people out, though, unless commanders just do first come first served.

I like this plan, for what it's worth. Simple, clean, efficient.

Though I do have to wonder if having been part of the previous battle means my experience would be marked down as 1 now or if it'd still be 0 since the LP hasn't finished yet.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

Armored Commanders: Arbite, Soup Inspector, anilEhilated, Chunky Monkey,

:getin:

I know a lot of my success was down to pure dumb luck, but I hope that I can at least help us win die entertainingly.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Ragaman posted:

On the flip side, the German HQ leadership did a great job of communicating goals/objectives to their team and while the odds seemed against them, they put their smaller force to good work and coordinated their overarching game plan very well.

anilEhilated posted:

This. Bacarruda, Jaguars! and the other folks with the game did an amazing job steering all of us clueless grunts around and running tests for providing lines of sight.

Right on the money in my opinion. I would've probably made several dumbass mistakes if I wasn't getting a steady stream of advice. A little disappointed that I never got to fire a shot, but the nailbiting Charge of the Light Armour Brigade more than made up for it.

By the by, were the Soviets ever aware of the existence of my Tiger? Was my Tiger even in a good position to do what Kenzie, Bacarruda, and I thought it could do?

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

1) Run a campaign (one-sided or head-to-head). Goons pick a unit and then command it over the course of the campaign. There was quite a good LP of Shock Force's UK campaign that did this.

I like this idea the best. If I got involved I'd probably pick a vehicle again and promptly get it murdered.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Hob_Gadling posted:

As usual I'm willing and eager to give critique about a given players performance (especially commanders). Since it's impolite to do so in public, ask me if you want an assessment.

I'd like some critique (even if I did relatively little). But I don't have platinum, so I'd be fine with you just telling me here.

Valiantman posted:

And no, the Soviets never found out about our Tiger. True stealth tank.

In my dreams I can see the Soviets running around like headless chickens when they find out the King Tiger isn't the only heavy tank the German goons have. Alas, it was not to be.
:arghfist::saddowns:

If nothing else, at least I know what my orders banner next game will be!

Grey Hunter posted:

If enough people are interested, I can run another game.

Sure, but only if you think you can handle it. As some other guys pointed out, it sounded like it wasn't really fun for you any longer.

But if you do run another game, German armour for life. :smug:

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Velius posted:

I'm pretty sure the IS-2s are superior to the Tiger I in virtually every regard. Even the T-34-85s wouldn't struggle to penetrate it from the front, much less the sides. That's a big difference between the eastern and western front games, a Tiger is scary to a bunch of Shermans since they can't even penetrate with side hits reliably, but Soviet armor gives no fucks. With the slow turret rotation Tigers are really vulnerable to flanking action besides.

Yeah, the Tiger isn't the invincible murder machine that a lot of media portrays it as, but a man can dream... :(

Arbite posted:

I think Grey said in this thread that this will be the last one for a while, what with December fast approaching...

That's why I'm not going to assume that a new game is going to be a given.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Hob_Gadling posted:

If I were your company commander I'd like a few more "I want to X because Y" type of comments. Then again you were micromanaged from above pretty hard. It's detrimental for company commander to say "do exactly X" and reduce tank commander to saying "what he said". I find it better for CC to explain "I want this to happen" and leave the details to underlings. While micromanagement seems appealing every fight thus far has been decided by players getting bored, frustrated and dropping out. If you happen to get a micromanager as your CC in the next game, push back a little. It's easy to fall into repeating "yes, exactly that" for the entire fight, which makes your participation superfluous, which risks you getting bored and dropping out at exactly the wrong moment. It also wastes your potentially good ideas; after all, you spend more time staring at that one tank than anyone else.

When you didn't receive direct orders from above you had to make some decisions for yourself, even if the actual order was just "Hold position".

One example of chain of command working well. Bacarruda gives orders to your CC:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658537&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18#post434349339

Gradenko gives you leeway to do what you think best:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658537&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post434373063

You have to think it over and do what you belive is the best choice:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658537&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post434395752

A fair enough critique, but in my CCs' defence I think I was lacking in initiative and tended to use advice from them as a security blanket rather than trying to tweak them to fit my own ideas of how things should go. I think I was perhaps skittish because of last game and some of my less than intelligent decision making.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, looking at my free time allotment, I don't think I can do another round I'm afraid.

Sorry for those who were interested - hopefully another crazy kind soul will offer to keep this going in some format - but with the Shadowrun P&P game I'm starting this weekend and the fact that I need to do the art assets and first turns for WITP, I don't want to overburden myself and burn out.

It's perfectly fine.

I had a blast, even if that time was mostly spent running around like a headless chicken during the first game and sitting around valiantly attempting to gain x-ray vision the second game. :v:

If someone does step up, I'll be there in a heart-beat.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I would also like to sign up if someone's doing one, of course.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Bacarruda posted:

3. A goons vs. AI scenario or campaign. Another goon did this for the Shock Force UK campaign and it worked well.

I'd like to see this the most myself. As someone else mentioned, it'd eliminate the potential for drama whilst maximising the chances of hilarious hijinks. I also think it could be interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
That was a major surprise. I seriously underestimated the amount of manpower they had remaining.

I did like my Tiger failing to do more than mildly annoy a T-34 moments before getting trashed by return fire. Total time in action: 4 seconds. Self-inflicted schadenfreude derived from my earlier boasting: forever. :allears:

• Locked thread