Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
1970 war/adventure TV series says they did, and if I can't trust that, what else can I trust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Am I the only one who thinks Germans would literally get instantly curbstomped if those IS-2s just rolled towards them? No fancy tactics, just tanks on the move. Those Panzer IV Ausf. Js are light years behind, they won't be able to even scratch them before it's too late.

EDIT: also, won't riding the tanks be a terrible idea if the Germans can get a shot at them?

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 2, 2014

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Oh, I know that, obviously, the question is if they will or will not get shot at once the in-game fighting starts. And I'd say it's likely.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'm too lazy to make sense out of what exactly both sides are planning (aside from Germans rushing tank riders through the eastern ford and the Soviets pushing I think everything through the eastern?), but I really hope Herp either dooms his side to failure or wins the battle by insubordination.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 7, 2014

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Would you be more interested in a miniature game or a boardgame? I think Red Winter could be a good choice for that, since the rules are fairly simple and everything comes pre-arranged into companies, battalions and regiments, there are rules for LoS and the rules can surprise people who aren't expecting certain things to happen. I could help you run that.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So, how lucky was that IS shot? This seems like quite a serious range. Is a hit at such a distance likely or not?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'm not asking about the range, the range is there easily. I'm asking about accuracy at such range.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
It took two updates to get Herpicle blamed for a fuckup, looks like he's out to beat his record.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Frankly, I don't see any way at all to counter a move of two IS-2s into a position where they can overwatch pretty much the entire map without being shot at, no matter what equipment or tactics the Germans may use. Someone have an idea?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I sincerely doubt they could have gotten there first, the location is very close to the Soviet spawn. And HE would most likely still not penetrate armour, at best it would force them to button down.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Fangz posted:

1. Generally there isn't one location that can overlook the *entire map*. If all the germans went north, the IS2s would have been pretty harmless.
2. Shelling the IS2s with smoke shells would cut down their effectiveness dramatically, and force them to relocate.
3. Bring some heavies of their own and send them vs the IS2 en masse. The big problem with the IS2 was their slow reloading speed, IIRC.

1. Would they? They've already been able to destroy two tanks heading north. They have sight on the path northwards beyond doubt, and the Russians seem to believe they can also take down that Panther at the very top. I'd say that they'd still command most of the part of the map where the Germans are likely to be, except for the westernmost crossing, perhaps.
2. The Germans seem to be more or less out of smoke by now, and the earlier smoke bombardment did not make the Stalins relocate.
3. As slow as that reloading time may be, they were able to fire four times on Turn 10 alone. If the Germans opted to approach without at least 6 tanks, they'd most likely be vaporised with one IS-2 down at best, in my estimate, and even with a large force they'd be decimated.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Target Reference Point. Basically a pre-arranged position where your artillery can fire quickly and accurately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
If so, then the only "sportsmanlike" thing to do would be to walk straight into each other, fire some confused shots, then withdraw and start frantically trying to make sense of the situation. Meeting engagement implies, in my opinion, more of a "we're both going for the same objective" thing, rather than an entirely unexpected walk-in.

• Locked thread