Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I feel like they really didn't think the whole 'Claire finds the cult symbol and blackmails Whele' thing through, because it makes Claire look like a complete idiot. If she actually thinks that Whele is part of that cult then she knows that the second most powerful man in the city, who is literally responsible for an angel attack already, is working with Gabriel to ultimately kill all of humanity. That's not a little secret you keep in your back pocket to save your dad's job, that's some serious poo poo that you scream to anyone who will listen. Instead the show's just playing it off like it's a series of ~whacky coincidences~ that she found the scarf or whatever it is in his locker, as if they're some naughty photos of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah. The show's sort of in love with the idea of being a realpolitic drama, without really thinking the ramifications of its narrative through. Any violence or betrayal is grist for the blackmail mill, and not actionable in and of itself. That's just silly.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

VDay posted:

I feel like they really didn't think the whole 'Claire finds the cult symbol and blackmails Whele' thing through, because it makes Claire look like a complete idiot. If she actually thinks that Whele is part of that cult then she knows that the second most powerful man in the city, who is literally responsible for an angel attack already, is working with Gabriel to ultimately kill all of humanity. That's not a little secret you keep in your back pocket to save your dad's job, that's some serious poo poo that you scream to anyone who will listen. Instead the show's just playing it off like it's a series of ~whacky coincidences~ that she found the scarf or whatever it is in his locker, as if they're some naughty photos of him.

Seriously this.

"Ok so we know that the myths about a Chosen One are true. Which means the fate of all humanity is on the back of this dumb kid who lives here.

I have proof that the second most powerful man in the city is working with the enemy to exterminate everyone, which includes kid Chosen One, which means all of humanity dies.

BUT MY DAD'S JOB"

:psyduck:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So what happens when a senator gets randomly shot?

Do they find another plant guy to replace him?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

It's a hereditary republican/monarchic system with two consuls and a dictator, much like the old Roman Republic. Honestly what I would expect from humans in a situation this lovely. Nobody wants to give up their hold of power and who's better to mold up to you successor then your kid?

Again, explained in more detail in the website. Executive is powerful but not all-powerful.

richardfun posted:

The consuls only served for a year though. And who would be the dictator in this situation? Before Caesar, those tended to rule for limited amounts of time and then resign.

Dictator = Lord of the city (house risen)
Consuls = House Whele dude + that woman sleeping w/ Michael

at least that's what i understand

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a symbol of the cult.

The cult of neckerchiefs.

The cult of Gabriel's symbol is a blindfold with eyes drawn on it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah. The show's sort of in love with the idea of being a realpolitic drama, without really thinking the ramifications of its narrative through. Any violence or betrayal is grist for the blackmail mill, and not actionable in and of itself. That's just silly.

The biggest expense to the show must've been building the Vega sets. That means most of the show has to take place in the city, even though it does nothing but drag down the core plot, which is Angels trying to wipe out humans.

It was not a smart move to make this show based on a city. Couldn't the "Chosen One" just have grown up in a small isolated community? A better show could be

- Alex is raised in an isolated community
- Prophet Dad returns and surprised Alex, reveals tattos
- Angels attack, kill everyone but Alex and plucky sidekick/close friends
- Prophet Dad passes on tattoos, tells Alex he has to go North/South/East/West
- Micheal shows up, tattoos tell Alex not to trust him, he leaves but promises his aid
- Show consists of Alex and Co. traveling the Mad Max world, fighting humans and human-angels, exploring ruins, Micheal occasionally shows up to help/offer advice,
- Season long metaplot can get resolved/kicked off when they find ancient ruin/artifact that gives humanity an edge, open up tons of possibilities
- Meanwhile they can keep adding in the Micheal/Gabriel/Uriel B-plots and expand on what the Angels are doing

This is basically fanfiction, but it drops all the political serious-drama and Alex constantly struggling to hide his tattoos and being generally angsty. It would probably be a better show, cost way less then whatever it costs now, and leave them tons of potential directions to take the show.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
this show is getting better and worse at the same time i am so conflicted

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

this show is getting better and worse at the same time i am so conflicted

Everything with the Angels is just so good, but it keeps getting interrupted by House politics bullshit.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That was a pretty good episode with a very depressing ending.

Yikes. Claire is cold as ice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I kind of like this bit with the switching between Gabriel and the actual guy.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

If Gabriel were played by Ian McMotherFuckingShane then my I could probably forgive Kings being struck down. Maybe it's just the Chris Egan but the pilot made me want to watch Kings all over again even if I'm just angry in the end.

I am really enjoying all the angel stuff with the exception of that guy from the power rangers. That poo poo was some of the worst costume design ever and the person who approved that deserves to be dragged out and shot publicly as a warning to others. Good episode on the whole but I'm not sure why Whele would go catatonic over having to shoot his lion. Heavy handed symbolism aside a guy like that would just wait patiently until he was in a position to smother his son.

Hopefully we'll get to see some of the other strongholds but so far as I remember there are no B-52s stationed out of Hill AFB. I demand some realism in my angel show god drat it :colbert:. So the angels are solid ground forces but how does an angel dodge a laser guided bomb or handle a dogfight with an F-22? Maybe by the time god stepped out for a smoke the US had fully adopted the F-35.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 1, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Huh, they made the clothes that current Micheal wears have the same design type as his old Angel armor. That's a level of detail I did not expect.

Man, this is the show I want to see. A troubled, angry, confused Chosen One running around trying to fix the world with Micheal just sitting off in the corner prodding him with questions. Gabriel possessing lower angels and causing trouble in the city. Conflict between the actually interesting characters, Micheal, Gabriel, Alex. Little of the house politik drama, just mostly the few important characters interacting.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

pentyne posted:

That's a level of detail I did not expect.

I think there are some shows that are built on a vision (BSG, the Wire, Whedonverse, etc) and some are built on an outline (Dominion, for example). Would anyone be shocked to know that six different writers have written the last seven episodes? I don't know if its the Scifi production schedule, but I get the distinct impression that the whole season was written simultaneously with each writer getting a rough outline of the characters, major plot points and ending positions.

I think the detail and consistency that we'll see, will come in things like set design, wardrobe, actor mannerisms and all of the other things that must be done in some sort of order.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

My goddamn DVR reset itself after a software update early this morning, so none of my usual Thursday stuff recorded because it takes up to a day for the guide to repopulate the upcoming programs list.

Ugh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Subterfrugal posted:

I think there are some shows that are built on a vision (BSG, the Wire, Whedonverse, etc) and some are built on an outline (Dominion, for example). Would anyone be shocked to know that six different writers have written the last seven episodes? I don't know if its the Scifi production schedule, but I get the distinct impression that the whole season was written simultaneously with each writer getting a rough outline of the characters, major plot points and ending positions.

I don't believe this correlates -- Farscape's first twelve episodes were written by ten different writers, Glee is written by three. Which is the more consistent show?

If anything, given that the show went straight to series without a pilot, and its incredibly short season order (nine episodes for an American production is unheard of, even if it is a co-production) the show probably had all the scripts written before the show went to air. I think this, and a lovely understanding of how language/action translates to screen, accounts for a least some of the show's lack of polish.

The show has a showrunner, whose job it is to lead the writers room and edit the scripts, so even if he's not penning so many episodes the writers have more than a little idea about what's going on with the metaplot and backstory (there are a lot of call-backs) but I reckon his inexperience lets down the show's individual episodes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Subterfrugal posted:

I think the detail and consistency that we'll see, will come in things like set design, wardrobe, actor mannerisms and all of the other things that must be done in some sort of order.

It's such a little thing that remembering to include it blows my mind. Ancient Micheal's armor has all these downward pointing arrows and his current shirt and jacket have the same design.

In a better show I'd say it was an indication that he is still God's Enforcer doing what he thinks God wants and would kill humanity the second he gets orders otherwise.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

pentyne posted:

It's such a little thing that remembering to include it blows my mind. Ancient Micheal's armor has all these downward pointing arrows and his current shirt and jacket have the same design.

In a better show I'd say it was an indication that he is still God's Enforcer doing what he thinks God wants and would kill humanity the second he gets orders otherwise.

Has there ever been any other indication? God didn't order anyone to kill humans, he just disappeared. All the OTHER angels are the plucky rebels and traitors as far as heaven and the majority of higher angels are concerned.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

We still don't know what Gabriel is actually planning on doing with this whole "Chosen One" thing.

I'm also enjoying the idea that thousands of years ago the characters weren't all just exactly the same and that Gabriel and Michael were on opposites sides.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I'm getting real sick of the whele boy's poo poo, i loved that lion

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Has there ever been any other indication? God didn't order anyone to kill humans, he just disappeared. All the OTHER angels are the plucky rebels and traitors as far as heaven and the majority of higher angels are concerned.

God was among the 2% of those taken on The Leftovers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm getting real sick of the whele boy's poo poo, i loved that lion

The lion CGI was really realistic.

Also another episode of rear end out of nowhere.

The whole show sort of makes me think of Defiance which had lots of problems in the first season but enough neat moments/characters to stay interesting.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 2, 2014

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

The full on rear end shots are really starting to feel like the South Park curse word episodes. I can appreciate a nice rear end as well as the next man but they're just being gratuitous at this point and it's making me laugh every time they do it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gabriel is the only remotely competent character in the show.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

etalian posted:

Gabriel is the only remotely competent character in the show.

Yuriel seems to know what she's doing too.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That was one of the more interesting episodes of the show, although the whole WHAT AREN'T YOU TELLING US MICHAEL?!?! angle is really, really dumb considering the dude is like the only reason why Gabriel hasn't won yet and taken over all of humanity. Still, I hope they keep this ratio of angels:humans going instead of having entire episodes that just point out how silly their political system is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yuriel seems to know what she's doing too.

:eng101: Uriel

Fun fact, angel names traditionally end with -el because it's Hebrew for god. So Michael means "Who is like God" while Gabriel is "God is my strength" and Uriel is "God is my light." Of the traditional Archangels the only one missing so far is Raphael.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I watched the replay of this past week's episode yesterday, and yeah, I love the ancient times flashback stuff, as well as the duality of Michael and Gabriel throughout the ages. Kinda makes me wonder what the season finale will hold next week. Michael has some 'splainin' to do.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Midnight City posted:

The full on rear end shots are really starting to feel like the South Park curse word episodes. I can appreciate a nice rear end as well as the next man but they're just being gratuitous at this point and it's making me laugh every time they do it.

That's what you find fault with"? That's one of the few things i look forward too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rocksicles posted:

That's what you find fault with"? That's one of the few things i look forward too.

Dominion: Attack on Titan with too many rear end shots

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Azhais posted:

Dominion: Attack on Titan with too many rear end shots

Attack on Titan is like, all rear end shots

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I heard something about the season finale being tonight, and being 1.5 hours? c/d?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

eriktown posted:

I heard something about the season finale being tonight, and being 1.5 hours? c/d?

wikipedia shows tonight is the season finale, which means this season is only 8 episodes :wtc:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wikipedia shows tonight is the season finale, which means this season is only 8 episodes :wtc:

Yeah, that was my thought.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of weird that they didn't advertise it as such though.

Edit: Just saw an ad stating it's the finale.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dominion, every character but Alex is an angel.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
YOU'RE RESEARCHING KILLING ARCHANGELS? WHILE FIGHTING A WAR AGAINST ARCHANGELS? I AM ENRAGED BY THIS NEWS!

edit: lol, why wouldn't we put a skylight in our angel torture lab?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So what's the goon consensus on this show? Also, what's the show format? Serial drama? Episodic procedural?

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
I marathoned through the show tonight including the finale, really enjoyed the show. While its not a top tier show, the little twists all kept me surprised and wanting to know whats going to happen next, and the plot seems expansive enough to never really get boring. I would absolutely love more flashback scenes to thousands of years ago, that scene was fascinating.

Its a serial drama that is a bit campy, but high production values and imo good writing (compared to say, Under the Dome or Falling Skies but not on the tier of Breaking Bad or the like). If you like Bible stories or post-apocalyptic stuff I'd say its definitely worth the time, especially with only 8 episodes for season 1. Haven't heard yet though if its been renewed for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

So that was like the first mention of Lucifer (son of the morning) right?

• Locked thread