Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CODChimera posted:

Yeah this is steadily decreasing.

The Red Angel looks like something out of Power Rangers. It's really distracting.

I really wish Gabriel had cut off that guys wings or something. I liked Gabriel's fury that a lesser angel would dare harm his brother. I'm glad they going more with Gabriel just wants Micheal to give up on humanity rather then trying to outright kill him. If the show lasts for more then a season I expect the other Archangels to start making an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The show is getting better, we've finally got another Archangel who just wants her brothers to stop being assholes(and has her own schemes it seems) and Alex is starting to slowly understand his 'chosen one' powers. The constant "House X schemes to gain power" is really starting to get tiresome.

I guess with all the money the spent building the Vega sets they can't really justify have Alex go on a pilgrimage/quest for understanding like his father and instead have to keep him in the city and constantly come up with "will his tattoos get revealed?" drama.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hollylolly posted:

I kind of hate this show. It's just interesting enough that I'll probably keep watching, but I'm not really enjoying it. Meh.

It's got so many cast members that none of them really seem notable so no one cares about the House politics and squabbles going on in the city. Also, the pilot talked about other cities and trade, with that weird women cult, but that seems to have completely disappeared. And they just dropped in another archangel and then completely moved back to House vs House Vega bullshit.

I don't think they are ever going to leave Vega, and the city is easily the least interesting thing about the show. The mysterious angel cults, the tattoos, Micheal and his schemes, Uriel's plans, whatever Gabriel is up to; all of these things have loads of potential for interesting stories yet we get more and more city political squabbles.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah. The show's sort of in love with the idea of being a realpolitic drama, without really thinking the ramifications of its narrative through. Any violence or betrayal is grist for the blackmail mill, and not actionable in and of itself. That's just silly.

The biggest expense to the show must've been building the Vega sets. That means most of the show has to take place in the city, even though it does nothing but drag down the core plot, which is Angels trying to wipe out humans.

It was not a smart move to make this show based on a city. Couldn't the "Chosen One" just have grown up in a small isolated community? A better show could be

- Alex is raised in an isolated community
- Prophet Dad returns and surprised Alex, reveals tattos
- Angels attack, kill everyone but Alex and plucky sidekick/close friends
- Prophet Dad passes on tattoos, tells Alex he has to go North/South/East/West
- Micheal shows up, tattoos tell Alex not to trust him, he leaves but promises his aid
- Show consists of Alex and Co. traveling the Mad Max world, fighting humans and human-angels, exploring ruins, Micheal occasionally shows up to help/offer advice,
- Season long metaplot can get resolved/kicked off when they find ancient ruin/artifact that gives humanity an edge, open up tons of possibilities
- Meanwhile they can keep adding in the Micheal/Gabriel/Uriel B-plots and expand on what the Angels are doing

This is basically fanfiction, but it drops all the political serious-drama and Alex constantly struggling to hide his tattoos and being generally angsty. It would probably be a better show, cost way less then whatever it costs now, and leave them tons of potential directions to take the show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

this show is getting better and worse at the same time i am so conflicted

Everything with the Angels is just so good, but it keeps getting interrupted by House politics bullshit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Huh, they made the clothes that current Micheal wears have the same design type as his old Angel armor. That's a level of detail I did not expect.

Man, this is the show I want to see. A troubled, angry, confused Chosen One running around trying to fix the world with Micheal just sitting off in the corner prodding him with questions. Gabriel possessing lower angels and causing trouble in the city. Conflict between the actually interesting characters, Micheal, Gabriel, Alex. Little of the house politik drama, just mostly the few important characters interacting.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Subterfrugal posted:

I think there are some shows that are built on a vision (BSG, the Wire, Whedonverse, etc) and some are built on an outline (Dominion, for example). Would anyone be shocked to know that six different writers have written the last seven episodes? I don't know if its the Scifi production schedule, but I get the distinct impression that the whole season was written simultaneously with each writer getting a rough outline of the characters, major plot points and ending positions.

I think the detail and consistency that we'll see, will come in things like set design, wardrobe, actor mannerisms and all of the other things that must be done in some sort of order.

It's such a little thing that remembering to include it blows my mind. Ancient Micheal's armor has all these downward pointing arrows and his current shirt and jacket have the same design.

In a better show I'd say it was an indication that he is still God's Enforcer doing what he thinks God wants and would kill humanity the second he gets orders otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Season 2 confirmed. Hopefully more angels vs human stuff and less house politics.

• Locked thread