Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
:smug:

quote:

The World Health Organization has warned that dramatic steps are needed to fight the deadliest Ebola outbreak on record, calling an 11-nation meeting to address the crisis.

"As the number of deaths and cases of Ebola virus continues to rise in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the World Health Organization is warning that drastic action is needed," the UN agency said on Thursday in a statement.

As of Sunday, 635 confirmed, probable and suspected cases of Ebola have been reported, including 399 deaths, making the ongoing outbreak the largest ever "in terms of the number of cases and deaths, as well as geographical spread," WHO said.

The agency was now "gravely concerned (by) the on-going cross-border transmission into neighbouring countries as well as the potential for further international spread," said WHO's regional director for Africa, Dr Luis Sambo.

"This is no longer a country specific outbreak but a sub-regional crisis that requires firm action by governments and partners," Sambo warned.

Since west Africa's first-ever epidemic of the deadly haemorrhagic fever emerged in Guinea in January, WHO has sent in more than 150 experts to help tackle the crisis.

But despite the efforts of the WHO and others, there had been a "significant increase" in the number of cases and deaths reported each day for the past three weeks, it said.

To address the growing crisis, the WHO said it would convene a meeting of the health ministers from 11 countries in Accra, Ghana on July 2 and 3 "to discuss the best way of tackling the crisis collectively as well as develop a comprehensive inter country operational response plan."

WHO has described the epidemic as one of the most challenging since the virus was first identified in 1976 in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo.

That outbreak, until now the deadliest, killed 280 people, according to WHO figures.

Ebola is a tropical virus that can fell its victims within days, causing severe fever and muscle pain, weakness, vomiting and diarrhoea - in some cases shutting down organs and causing unstoppable bleeding.

No medicine or vaccine exists for Ebola, which is named after a small river in the DRC.

quote:

"This is no longer a country specific outbreak but a sub-regional crisis that requires firm action by governments and partners," Sambo warned.

lol good loving luck with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Tell your friends they don't have to be scared or hungry anymore comrades.
We all know quarantines fail on geographic scales. There is only one solution:

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
drat if those hazmat suits don't look good though

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
my moms family is mostly from africa and they say that those countries are really lovely anyway

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Goons should be safe even if it spreads because it's transmitted through bodily fluids.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
First AIDS, now this. We should just wall off Africa and pretend it doesn't exist. When was the last time Africa gave us anything worthwhile, anyway, 1865?

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
It turns out never washing your hands and eating "bushmeat" is a bad plan for staying alive.

No one asked that this be confirmed. Thanks anyways, Africa?

I've been following the ebola outbreak since earlier this year, and later on picked up epidemic spreading out from the Carribean, and only recently I learned that MERS is a thing. Apparently MERS is some deadly poo poo you get for being a heathen camel-licker in the desert wasteland that is the Middle East.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

drat if those hazmat suits don't look good though

they don't look that safe to me

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
we are all going to die

start scoping out the best places to find food in your area, because when the ebolapocalypse happens you're going to want to stake your turf

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

So has Madagascar shut down its ports yet or what.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

So has Madagascar shut down its ports yet or what.

haha nice meme my friend. Really nice memeage you got going on there.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Cucking Mama posted:

my moms family is mostly from africa and they say that those countries are really lovely anyway

Aren't you belgian?

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Ron Darling posted:

we are all going to die

start scoping out the best places to find food in your area, because when the ebolapocalypse happens you're going to want to stake your turf

I'm just gonna wash my hands, same as every day. Not planning on eating any primates, either.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I'm just gonna wash my hands, same as every day. Not planning on eating any primates, either.

the first guy to get aids must have hosed a monkey

makes you think

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Jew Macklemore posted:

haha nice meme my friend. Really nice memeage you got going on there.

Thanks man, I'm just here to help.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Suicide Sam E. posted:

what if the water contains ebola

WHAT THEN

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You get ebola from loving an ewok.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
somebody get bill gates on this

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
loving great! First the forums go down and now ebola. What a week!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

what are teh chances this spirals into black death proportions

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

So far this outbreak is 100% black death.

happyhippy posted:

You get ebola from loving an ewok.

Also this ^^^^

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

yeah well polio was discovered in brazil's water like it aint no thing

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I toad a sew. I loving toad a sew

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

If it wasn't for those delicious monkeys they wouldn't be in this mess. Same with AIDS only replace 'delicious' with 'sexy'.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I like how that dudes name was literally sambo.

afrikkka $ux lol

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012
if there is one thing i know, iceland is pretty much impossible to infect so everyone just move there.

i'm assuming they aren't playing on casual mode ofc

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Back in the good ol days the jews would poison a few wells, we would have a few pogroms, and everybody walked away having had a good time.

No, Ebola is a whole different ball game. Ebola hangs out in parking lots and peers through your car windows. Ebola takes lsd before his daughter's elementary school play and loudly undergoes ego-death during the final number.

Ebola is just stank man.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
white privilege is casual mode

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Death is certain

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that
It's gonna mutate into a rage/zombie virus before it crosses the oceans.
It's happening.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Syrek posted:

It's gonna mutate into a rage/zombie virus before it crosses the oceans.
It's happening.

yeah it's called multiculturalism

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

I hope it goes airborne

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
We are all going to die

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

rip africa

if this trend continues the entire world will have ebola in a couple of months

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

rip africa

statistically this is 100% true

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Pretty sure this is almost exclusively black death
e: goddammit

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Don't tease me like that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

rip africa

Why is the mortality rate so low?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Why is the mortality rate so low?

mortality rate is ~60% so far, which is p low for ebola but not unprecedented. usually its between 60-90%.

• Locked thread