Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

tentative8e8op posted:

If people you know or live near get infected with ebola, how would you change your day to day habits? Do you think nothing would change in your area? Would you and other foreigners fly out if it looks like things might go bad?

How well prepared do you feel your local services are for an outbreak?

e: I know you're a good distance away, but how is word and news of this epidemic being taken by everyone you know and see? Is it an honest concern?

I would get the gently caress out ASAP if I heard about an ebola case near me (Kisangani, located on the "AIDS Highway" in the map posted above), but I guess the bigger concern would be whether or not I could re-enter the US after coming from a hot zone. I'm working for a non-profit on a State Department funded project, so the US embassy is at least aware of my presence here. I'm also covered by my employer's medevac plan, so I could exit the country that way.

Local services here are absolutely dire and would be incapable of handling any sort of outbreak. There's only one (private) hospital worth a poo poo here, and the rest are nightmarish dirty buildings with non-existent sanitation and probably no capacity for isolating patients. Additionally, there are no ambulances here and few people own cars, so victims would likely die at home, surrounded by relatives.

I've heard about the epidemic through local radio, but I couldn't tell you if it's a concern among the rest of the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Do you think Solomon's murder apes would help stop the infected from entering the Congo? Or would they only spread the disease?

Also, how often can you wash your hands on any given workday? This seems to be a sanitation issue affecting the spread of EHF is why I'm asking.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

surrender posted:

I would get the gently caress out ASAP if I heard about an ebola case near me (Kisangani, located on the "AIDS Highway" in the map posted above), but I guess the bigger concern would be whether or not I could re-enter the US after coming from a hot zone. I'm working for a non-profit on a State Department funded project, so the US embassy is at least aware of my presence here. I'm also covered by my employer's medevac plan, so I could exit the country that way.

Local services here are absolutely dire and would be incapable of handling any sort of outbreak. There's only one (private) hospital worth a poo poo here, and the rest are nightmarish dirty buildings with non-existent sanitation and probably no capacity for isolating patients. Additionally, there are no ambulances here and few people own cars, so victims would likely die at home, surrounded by relatives.

I've heard about the epidemic through local radio, but I couldn't tell you if it's a concern among the rest of the population.

If I was you, I'd try to leave Detroit ASAP.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

There are 13 monkeys in that logo

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ivor Biggun posted:

There are 13 monkeys in that logo

I don't see a tail on the middle one. It could be a gibbon and therefore an ape. Or maybe a lemur who's got a shy tail.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
With this kind of resistance to modern medical aid, caused by public distrust due to decades of rampant government corruption, I don't see how the outbreak can be brought under control anytime soon.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/07/02/us-health-ebola-westafrica-redcross-idINKBN0F714220140702

quote:

DAKAR (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - The Red Cross in Guinea said on Wednesday it had been forced to suspend operations tackling Ebola in the country's southeast after staff there were threatened by a group of men armed with knives.

The incident on Tuesday in Gueckedou, about 650 kms (403 miles) southeast of the capital Conakry, is the latest in a series against health workers, undermining efforts to help the region's weak health systems fight one of the world's deadliest diseases.

A Medicins Sans Frontieres center in nearby Macenta was attacked by youths two months ago after staff there were accused of bringing the disease to Guinea.

"Locals wielding knives surrounded a marked Red Cross vehicle. We've suspended operations for safety reasons," a Red Cross official in West Africa said, asking not to be named.

"I imagine this won't be the last time this happens," he added.

The outbreak of the disease in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone is the largest and deadliest ever, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). The organization has recorded 467 deaths from 759 known cases since February.

Local and foreign doctors are battling a deep-rooted fear and lack of understanding of the disease, which has driven dozens of victims to evade treatment and made it harder to track patients.

Health ministers from 11 West African states are meeting in Accra, Ghana, on Wednesday and Thursday to try to coordinate the regional response to the epidemic.

WHO has flagged three main factors driving the spread of Ebola - the burial of victims in accordance with cultural practices and traditional beliefs in rural communities, the dense population around the capital cities of Guinea and Liberia and the bustling cross-border trade across the region.

Ebola causes fever, vomiting, bleeding and diarrhoea and can kill up to 90 percent of those it infects. Highly contagious, it is transmitted through contact with the blood or other fluids of infected people or animals.

Liberia's President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has called the crisis a national public health emergency.

Addressing his nation for the first time about the issue late on Tuesday, Sierra Leone's President Ernest Bai Koroma called for leaders on all sides of the political divide to work together to tackle the crisis.

"This is a national fight. And all must be involved," he said. Koroma said that the government and the U.N. World Food Program had started providing food aid to 30,000 people in the two districts affected by Ebola.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Over 1,100 have been infected and almost 700 have died. The outbreak just reached Sierra Leone's capital, where a woman's family stormed the central hospital to take her back. Nigeria has had their first patient, too. :(

Sierra Leone hunts Ebola patient kidnapped in Freetown posted:

A hunt has been launched in Sierra Leone's capital, Freetown, for a woman with Ebola who was forcibly removed from hospital by her relatives.

Radio stations around the country are appealing for help to find the 32-year-old who is being described as a "risk to all".

She is the first Freetown resident to have tested positive for the virus.

:siren:Meanwhile, Nigeria's health minister has confirmed that a Liberian man has died of Ebola in Lagos.:siren:

According to the Reuters news agency, he collapsed on arrival in Lagos on Sunday and was taken from the airport and put in quarantine at a hospital in the Nigerian city.

Since February, more than 660 people have died of Ebola in West Africa - the world's deadliest outbreak to date.

As this is going on, one of the effort's main leads has fallen ill.

Sierra Leone chief Ebola doctor infected posted:

The doctor leading the fight against Ebola in Sierra Leone is now being treated for the deadly virus, a statement from the presidency has said.

Sheik Umar Khan tested positive and has been admitted to hospital in Kailahun, the epicentre of the outbreak.

The statement from State House said that the minister of health was in tears when she heard the news about Dr Khan.

Health Minister Miatta Kargbo called him a "national hero" and said she would "do anything and everything in my power to ensure he survives", Reuters news agency reports.
:(

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 26, 2014

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Suicide Sam E. posted:

So far this outbreak is 100% black death.

:wow:!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

amy good gorilla

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lol we are so hosed

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
The Stand was an entertaining read and I hope it becomes reality. the final solution for global warming and overpopulation

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Wow so a person with the communicable stage of Ebola is going to be shuffled around the capital city? :stare:

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
man imagine being the guy on the plane sitting next to a man who is projetile vomiting blood all over you

makes you think

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if some monkeyfuckers legacy becomes crosscontinental and interferes with my jojo watching ill be really mad & shed a single tear

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

quakster posted:

if some monkeyfuckers legacy becomes crosscontinental and interferes with my jojo watching ill be really mad & shed a single tear

I told you guys at the beginning of the out break we should of just cleansed africa with fire.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Decebal posted:

The Stand was an entertaining read and I hope it becomes reality. the final solution for global warming and overpopulation

Literally just read this book. I also got a cold while I was reading it. No good.

This poo poo is for real.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

tentative8e8op posted:

Over 1,100 have been infected and almost 700 have died. The outbreak just reached Sierra Leone's capital, where a woman's family stormed the central hospital to take her back. Nigeria has had their first patient, too. :(

Three-Phase posted:

Wow so a person with the communicable stage of Ebola is going to be shuffled around the capital city? :stare:

The only consolation there is the good chance her retarded family will die thanks to their aggression and ignorance. The downside is, yeah, the many, many other people they will infect.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

quakster posted:

Pretty sure it is mostly caused by bushmeat and the kind of people who will eat infected bats.

So there isn't any chance it will make it to civilization
Oh, wait.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/02/22/us-usa-bushmeat-idUSTRE51L1A720090222
Bushmeat, an African delicacy, facing NY crackdown

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

doctors are now believed to be participating in a cannibalistic cult and clinics are being attacked

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

(Reuters) - Police were guarding an Ebola treatment center in Sierra Leone on Saturday, the day after thousands marched on the clinic following allegations by a former nurse the deadly virus was invented to conceal "cannibalistic rituals" there, a regional police chief said.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

doctors are now believed to be participating in a cannibalistic cult and clinics are being attacked

wait they're not?

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

(Reuters) - Police were guarding an Ebola treatment center in Sierra Leone on Saturday, the day after thousands marched on the clinic following allegations by a former nurse the deadly virus was invented to conceal "cannibalistic rituals" there, a regional police chief said.

Blood libel never gets old.

On the plus side, I think I found a perfect new place for Jenny McCarthy to live free from the tyranny of medicine.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
haha jesus. its almost like they deserve the drat virus

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Drunk & Ugly posted:

haha jesus. its almost like they deserve the drat virus

Well the doctors are white so can you blame them for thinking the doctors eat people?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

The deaths from the actual disease are only part of the picture. In some West African cultures, literally anything bad happening to someone is considered the result of witchcraft, so there will also be plenty of deaths caused by the families of the deceased blaming some random woman that they imagined looked at them funny last week.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moose King posted:

The deaths from the actual disease are only part of the picture. In some West African cultures, literally anything bad happening to someone is considered the result of witchcraft, so there will also be plenty of deaths caused by the families of the deceased blaming some random woman that they imagined looked at them funny last week.

Also they kill albino blacks to make god tier witchcraft potions.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

etalian posted:

Also they kill albino blacks to make god tier witchcraft potions.

coke zero?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
the doctors are spreading the virus. you can learn more in the documentary deus ex

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
M-O-O-N that spells ebola

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

dustin hoffman?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you know what though honestly

good

this planet is hosed and the people running it have no idea what the gently caress they are doing beyond "more money for meeeeee power for MEEEEEEEEEEEEE" and I hope they all die so we can reboot this piece of poo poo civilization

but not me of course

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/25/a_woman_with_deadly_ebola_virus_escaped_quarantine_now_loose_in_a_city_of_1_million/

lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

There's too many people* in Africa anyway this is just nature's population control.

*black people

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7QRsx9lbBU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
A second medical lead has fallen ill, and is the first second American in this outbreak iirc. He is the director of one of Liberia's two treatment centers. :(

American Doctor in Africa Tests Positive for Ebola posted:

An American doctor working with Ebola patients in Liberia has tested positive for the deadly virus, an aid organization said Saturday.

North Carolina-based Samaritan's Purse issued a news release saying that Dr. Kent Brantly tested positive for the disease and was being treated at a hospital in Monrovia, Liberia. Brantly is the medical director for the aid organization's case management center in the city.

Brantly, 33, has been working with Samaritan's Purse in Liberia since October 2013 as part of the charity's post-residency program for doctors, said the group's spokeswoman Melissa Strickland. The organization's website says he had worked as a family practice physician in Fort Worth, Texas.

U.S. doctor contracts Ebola in Liberia posted:

A 33-year-old American doctor working for a relief organization in Liberia's capital has tested positive for the tropical disease Ebola.

Dr. Kent Brantly, medical director at one of the country's two treatment centers run by the organization, recognized his own symptoms and confined himself to an isolation ward.

It was not immediately clear how he caught Ebola. The relief group's Melissa Strickland said that he had followed strict safety protocols when treating patients.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Moridin920 posted:

:cheers:

• Locked thread