Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
no, seriously, why not?
cm is too small of an increment for dick measuring
usa #1
metric is the light
goku doesn't use it either
View Results

• Locked thread
GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They tried it back in the 70's and it failed horribly. Long story-short, we are too stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
because obama hasn't mandated it yet

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Regarde Aduck posted:

The scientists and engineers that got you to the moon were using metric.

There is no denying NASA made the metric system their bitch.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

waitwhatno posted:

our honest-to-god fascists, wearing their little swastikas and goosestepping around like it's the 30s all over again, are probably still more moderate than the crazy poo poo you have going in your legislature nowadays

Gonna keep on quoting this.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We only use metric units in computers and even there we've hosed it up so units aren't 10x the previous increment.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dr_Amazing posted:

It would be nice if or

"Point 5"

But it would be nice if people actually used the decimeter. It would help keep things from being hundreds of centimeters or fractions of a meter.

Deci- and deca- are not good. One should be renamed.

SI is not good, in my opinion, because it turns everything into a inelegant mess of bad-sounding syllables. "One quarter kilometer" is literally the worst phrase in the English language. Another problem is that it is in base 10 which makes it not good with fractions. Other than that, it is okay with me.

madeupfred fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 30, 2014

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
Compromise: Slowly convert number systems from base 10 to base 12.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

madeupfred posted:

"One quarter kilometer" is literally the worst phrase in the English language.

who would even ever say this

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Exclamation Marx posted:

No one. That's how bad it is.

In Italy they intentionally leave buildings unfinished to avoid the 250 meters mark.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Ootrek posted:

Shouldn't the base of our numeric measurements be a prime number? If we're pretending something completely arbitrary is important we might as well go with one of the more magical numbers. What about base 17?

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Shouldn't the base of our numeric measurements be a prime number? If we're pretending something completely arbitrary is important we might as well go with one of the more magical numbers. What about base 17?

base pi

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Exclamation Marx posted:

why i just heard someone say that a third of a week ago, give me a fifth of an hour and i'll see if i can find it

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
All numbers will be referred to by the ordinal of their prime factorization.

11,342 for example is 2 * 53 * 107, so that would be represented by 1*16*28 (because 2 is the first prime, 53 is the 16th and 107 is the 28). This can be applied recursively, so fully reduced 11,342 is 1*(1*1*1*1)*(1*1*(1*1)).

I don't think anyone can out-sperg this number system.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I can see how that would be great if you always hang out with exactly 16 people. Or are an unpopular loner. Which is it?

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

The scientists and engineers that got you to the moon were using metric.

Of course, those were Nazi Rocket Scientists after all.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
There was a debate a few pages ago that did not get resolved to my satisfaction.

That is, Fahrenheit is a better temperature measurement system than Celsius in that it has a greater range of numbers in the temperatures people are most likely to encounter - that is, between 0 and 100 degree F.

The only thing Celsius seems to have going for it is the logical consistency of 0 being freezing and 100 being boiling, but really, where does that get you?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

DeepQantas posted:

250 meters

this is what people say fyi imperiailures

Mikeo
May 17, 2009

I think you should just create your own system of measurements in base 10.

Something like: 1 Bald Eagle = 1,000 Liberty = 100,000 Washington = 1,000,000 Freedom

The Liberty could maybe be a meter long.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Unguided posted:

We only use metric units in computers and even there we've hosed it up so units aren't 10x the previous increment.

Like a 24" Monitor connected to a 19" rack server with a that is 1U (1.75") high and contains 3.5" drives?

Yeah totally metric here.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Even though the UK uses the metric system don't a majority of the people there still refer to imperial units? I always hear Brits describe someone's weight in stone or drinks in pints.

edit: and for the record, base 12 is superior to both. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Germstore posted:

All numbers will be referred to by the ordinal of their prime factorization.

11,342 for example is 2 * 53 * 107, so that would be represented by 1*16*28 (because 2 is the first prime, 53 is the 16th and 107 is the 28). This can be applied recursively, so fully reduced 11,342 is 1*(1*1*1*1)*(1*1*(1*1)).

I don't think anyone can out-sperg this number system.

1 * 1 is always 1. Where did you learn your arithmetic?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Suicide Sam E. posted:

1 * 1 is always 1. Where did you learn your arithmetic?

In this case 1 is 2 because it is the first prime. so 1*1 equals 4 which is 7 (which is the 4th prime). I think it can be evaluated unambiguously, but I could be wrong.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

redshirt posted:

There was a debate a few pages ago that did not get resolved to my satisfaction.

That is, Fahrenheit is a better temperature measurement system than Celsius in that it has a greater range of numbers in the temperatures people are most likely to encounter - that is, between 0 and 100 degree F.

The only thing Celsius seems to have going for it is the logical consistency of 0 being freezing and 100 being boiling, but really, where does that get you?

A system based on water molecules. Molecules - hydrogen and oxygen - water is not even an element. Not only that, but water's expansion while in solid form is a freak anomaly in the physical world where most atoms and molecules become more dense changing from liquid into a solid. Clearly water is not to be trusted. By association, neither is Celsius.

And, (obvs.) neither is the metric system. But all sensible people knew that already.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Loqieu posted:

Even though the UK uses the metric system don't a majority of the people there still refer to imperial units? I always hear Brits describe someone's weight in stone or drinks in pints.

If you tried to change the size of a beer from the British pint to the more universal but slightly smaller half-liter you would probably have riots in the streets.

NihilismNow posted:

Like a 24" Monitor connected to a 19" rack server with a that is 1U (1.75") high and contains 3.5" drives?

Yeah totally metric here.

The 19" rack width was standardized in US in 1934 so it stuck, but the 1U height standard was changed from 1.75" to 44.5mm (1.752") in 1988.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 30, 2014

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Loqieu posted:

edit: and for the record, base 12 is superior to both. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc

An English guy I work with says no one uses it there. Everything is referred to in feet, miles, etc. Regardless of what the signs say.

Then again, I only have the word of an Englishman. They are not to be trusted.

USA# 1

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Watching Top Gear does make it seem like the UK is still de facto imperial.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Ootrek posted:

But then when aliens discover our radio signals they'll think we have 12 fingers or tentacles or claws or whatever and that'll gently caress everything up.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Maybe they'll think our four main fingers have three countable thirds each like the asians have.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

DeepQantas posted:

In Italy they intentionally leave buildings unfinished

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Germstore posted:

Watching Top Gear does make it seem like the UK is still de facto imperial.

It's a generational thing. We officially went metric in 1971. Older people still think in Imperial, younger in Metric. My mother thinks and talks in Imperial units, my nephew wouldn't have the faintest idea how many ounces are in a pound. He was taught and thinks exclusivly in Metric.

Most people will still interchange freely.

For example, i might say "The pub is about half a mile away. Go 200m that way and then turn left for 300m and you'll see it".

In a generation or two anyone who grew up with (or was first generation Metric with lots of crossover) will be gone and England will be pretty much Metric.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Anyone else curious why the entire world doesn't use military time? I can see the appeal of analog clock and watch faces, but there is not reason not to state and record the time in 24 hour days.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

redshirt posted:

Weather wise 0 at freezing makes sense. It's the difference between rain and snow and whether you have to worry about ice on the roads. It's probably the most important dividing line for temperature.

-20 or -25 are treated the same. Same way anything past 30 is just "hot" without really needing to worry about exactly how hot it is.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Anyone else curious why the entire world doesn't use military time? I can see the appeal of analog clock and watch faces, but there is not reason not to state and record the time in 24 hour days.

i use military time and write my dates like 01-JUL-2014 because oracle loving broke me

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Suicide Sam E. posted:

am/pm is more natural:

6/7 is time to wake up/go to sleep

12 and 6 is time for eating food

you work from 8 to 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

it is better if everyone uses the same measurrment system

since the metric system is more common everyone should switch to it

period

Everyone does use metric, for precise scientific measurements.

For poo poo like "Which wrench should I use on my bicycle, also how far up your rear end will my dong fit", imperial units work fine.

• Locked thread