Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
no, seriously, why not?
cm is too small of an increment for dick measuring
usa #1
metric is the light
goku doesn't use it either
View Results

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

comes along bort posted:

middle school math students

yeah and i could do it too when i was in middle school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Nauta posted:

fun fact: -40 degrees fahrenheit = -40 degrees celsius

my point is that american units are fukken dumb and americans are even dumber for using them

ahem excuse me it is the english system of measurements. pretty clear who should get the blame ehre

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Prav posted:

metric time was too good for this world

i feel like we really missed out on something there

They tried metric time, it didn't stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I can never tell if the people talking up imperial units in these threads are being sarcastic or not.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

6'1" 185cm i am the one true hieght

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SaltLick posted:

I bet those english speaking metric using countries say "zed" as well. is there no end to their barbarism?

ladies and gentlemen put your hands together for that little ol' band from texas... zed zed top

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Maybe your country should use the Speak loving English system.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
America uses the imperial system because they're imperialists.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
what i don't get is why aren't americans using their own measurement of time since all your other units are backwards and from the 18th century

like you should use like the mayan calendar and in stead of seconds and hours u'd have a "stone tool" for example which would be the equal it takes a caveman to make a stone knife which is probably close to 12 hours

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
we basically do use the metric system already if you haven't noticed

idiots

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
But seriously though, it's because we want foreign invaders to have trouble using our own maps.

(USA2clever4u)

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 26, 2014

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Why are England and Hong Kong always driving on the wrong side of the road?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Why do Brits drive on the left side of the road? Not many countries do, but India is amongst them.
Is driving on the left side of the road for rapists?

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Das Boo posted:

Why do Brits drive on the left side of the road? Not many countries do, but India is amongst them.
Is driving on the left side of the road for rapists?

I believe it's linked to the side one dismounts a horse from if right-handed. When driving on a particular side of the road was codified by the French under Napoleon, him being a lefty somewhat influenced the choice of driving on the right officially.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Technocrat posted:

I believe it's linked to the side one dismounts a horse from if right-handed. When driving on a particular side of the road was codified by the French under Napoleon, him being a lefty somewhat influenced the choice of driving on the right officially.

so yeah it's for rapists

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Christmas Present posted:

so yeah it's for rapists

My suspicions are justified.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Technocrat posted:

God bless Napoleon.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

the truth is, i have no loving idea how that weird american units system works and most of the time i'm too lazy to convert it into grown up units. so when some american is talking about his weight or height i just imagine some random looking people. dear americans, please be considerate of normal people around you and learn to use a real units system so i can imagine your fat asses properly

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

waitwhatno posted:

the truth is, i have no loving idea how that weird american units system works and most of the time i'm too lazy to convert it into grown up units. so when some american is talking about his weight or height i just imagine some random looking people. dear americans, please be considerate of normal people around you and learn to use a real units system so i can imagine your fat asses properly

lollin@future american being too lazy to google

work ethic, son

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
lazy people refusing to convert units itt

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=a+human being+in+rods

quote:

Input interpretation:
convert 1 human being to rods of volume

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

everyone not using sexagesimal for everything is a big idiot

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
metric is for queers, whores and queerwhores.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

math and engineering isn't supposed to be easy! if it wasn't for wonderful units like the lbf/sq inch any moron could build a pressure cooker

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
.6 miles is a kilometer. A foot is 1/3 of a meter.
30 milliliters is an ounce. A quart is a liter.
450 grams is a pound.
30F is 0C and 70F is 20C.

Boom, literally all you loving need to know. If you say, "but it's actually 29.573... milliliters in an ounce" go sit in the corner, memorize pi to another 10 places and then take your own life.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Prav posted:

math and engineering isn't supposed to be easy! if it wasn't for wonderful units like the lbf/sq inch any moron could build a pressure cooker

is that why certain marathons are measured in miles

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Prav posted:

Is the joke that engineers would use imperial units here?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
I always figured it was so no one else had the right tools on hand to take apart our war machines.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

is that why certain marathons are measured in miles

Marathons are measured in marathons, the distance from Marathon to Athens. It just happens to be 26.2 miles or 13.56475x10^23 moon hops or whatever :911:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Germstore posted:

.6 miles is a kilometer. A foot is 1/3 of a meter.
30 milliliters is an ounce. A quart is a liter.
450 grams is a pound.
30F is 0C and 70F is 20C.

Boom, literally all you loving need to know. If you say, "but it's actually 29.573... milliliters in an ounce" go sit in the corner, memorize pi to another 10 places and then take your own life.

this is basic knowledge, if you travel in the us and oesn't know this, you're loving retarded

Syrek
Jan 13, 2010

Meeeeeeeeehhh
I dunno 'bout that

dontcareaboutname posted:

I always figured it was so no one else had the right tools on hand to take apart our war machines.

You don't need to resort to retarded number systems to prevent unauthorized intrusions into your machinery.

I tried to change the spark plugs on my BMW last week. I'm in germany and it's a german car.
Yea well, gently caress that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Royal W posted:

Marathons are measured in marathons, the distance from Marathon to Athens. It just happens to be 26.2 miles or 13.56475x10^23 moon hops or whatever :911:

whoosh

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Moon hops are an important ingredient for space beer.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Bourbon, and rum are sold with metric labeling and that's all that matters.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
can somebody tell me why the gently caress the uk still uses stone as a measurement of weight

oh no my son is 43 stone they had to cut his house apart to remove the body

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I like to think that americans live in some sort of bizarro molten-hot land where a comfortable temperature is 70 degrees celsius.

It matches up with my latest visit to New York.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the US does use the metric system you loving idiots, we just use quantities of metric units in terms of inches (25.4mm), pounds (453.59237 g) and fahrenheit (9/5C+32) because we like those numbers better. because calculations are easier in base 12, pounds make more sense than decimal weights (i'm 62.4 kilos lol) when measuring yourself, and fahrenheit makes more sense on a day to day basis because the temperature is like a scale of 1-100 based on how hot it is. it's all still metric though, we established that in 1893 but apparently you fuckers are too retarded to know anything.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Americans use the metric system for precise and/or scientific purposes, girlfriend.

We use the imperial system for measuring the length of your colon, with our dicks.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Sodas are measured in liters. Beer is measured in pints. Checkmate, metric havers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Germstore posted:

Moon hops are an important ingredient for space beer.

I'll never disparage the metric system again

• Locked thread