Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
no, seriously, why not?
cm is too small of an increment for dick measuring
usa #1
metric is the light
goku doesn't use it either
View Results

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suicide Sam E. posted:

This reminds me of an important fact: The metric system was directly responsible for the Apollo 13 disaster. But what mean ol' metric did not count on was that the stalwart United States astronauts would defeat it and return home safely.

Along those lines, the Mars Climate Orbiter was lost because an outside contractor team wrote some control software that worked with imperial units instead of the metric units NASA's systems used.

To some degree metric use in the US is naturally increasing as a consequence of globalization. Lots of stuff in the US is designed with metric units and parts since we live in an era of international markets where goods are manufactured and sold overseas. Most modern CNC machines, digital scales and other electronic devices use metric internally and just convert to inches or pounds/ounces when taking input or displaying output. Liquor and wine are labeled in liters. Even the US Bureau of Weights and Measures officially defines the imperial units in terms of metric units. The official definition of a yard is 0.9144 meters, 1 pound is 453.59237 grams and 1 gallon is 3.785411 liters.

Unfortunately, we're never going to see a full change in any of our lifetimes since there will always be weird backwards old people who yell about how "the West was won by the inch, foot, yard, and mile" or some poo poo about how imperial units are "more compatible with the human experience". These are actual arguments that were used against metrication in the 70s. The first bit about the west was actually the tagline of a lawsuit against metrication by the National Cowboy Hall of Fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

If you're old like me and went to elementary school in the late Seventies, you were told that the United States was going to be 100% metric by like 1985 or so, and therefore spent half a school year learning the system, including hectares and deciliters and such.

And it never happened, I blame that rear end in a top hat Reagan.

Yeah, they started to convert us the metric system then suddenly stopped and never mentioned it again. It was one of those progressive 70s programs where everyone went "ROFL @ Jimmy Carter" and voted for Reagan then 25 years later were all "Why didn't we do something about this years ago when everyone else did?"

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUXutV6Vk6k

Syd Midnight fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 29, 2014

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

girth brooks part 2 posted:

also we landed on the moon six times ya dummies
That would be like ten times in metric.

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

So? It is fantastic in scientific work. But why should Bob the plumber change?
Moon sewers.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

DeepQantas posted:

That would be like ten times in metric.

Moon sewers.

Moon sewers can be measured in feet.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The_Franz posted:

These are actual arguments that were used against metrication in the 70s. The first bit about the west was actually the tagline of a lawsuit against metrication by the National Cowboy Hall of Fame.

why did i even look this up when i already knew it was true

how does the u.s. collectively live with itself is my actual question here

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It's a six shooter not a ten shooter, bitch.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
lol at eurotrash lecturing americans on proper governance and sperg units as their system collapses

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SplitSoul posted:

why did i even look this up when i already knew it was true

we just dont care.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Where do you live, splitsoul? Does it matter to you that we don't use the metric system?

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

SplitSoul posted:

because it's easy not to lose sleep over tiny poo poo like how we measure things

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It's severe OCD. Look at the map posted earlier in the thread:

Oh god, something's different. My brain can't handle it. gently caress.

If we wen't metric these same spergs would start posting maps of what side of the road everyone drives on.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Germstore posted:

It's severe OCD. Look at the map posted earlier in the thread:

Japan should be light red because, while they are mostly metric, they still use their own goofy measurement system based on the size of a straw mat when it comes to construction materials and real estate.

Really, the imperial system is pretty simple and consistent when you break it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7x-RGfd0Yk

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ootrek posted:

because it's easy not to lose sleep over tiny poo poo like how we measure things

i meant re: national cowboy hall of fame v. metrication obviously

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SplitSoul posted:

i meant re: national cowboy hall of fame v. metrication obviously

you never answered either of my questions

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

you never answered either of my questions

denmark and no

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SplitSoul posted:

denmark and no

Then why do you care?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

Then why do you care?

because absurdity on that scale is hilarious.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SplitSoul posted:

because absurdity on that scale is hilarious.

what absurdity? It works well for us?

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

So? It is fantastic in scientific work. But why should Bob the plumber change?

it's also fantastic in everyday use :confused:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Touched by Insanity posted:

THE ANCEINT EGYPTIANS for crying out loud used inches & feet to measure the pyramids 5000 years ago. A KNOTTED STRING was used and even then modern instruments show only a ONE HALF INCH error along 1 755 Ft. side!
Not accurate enough. PUHLEEEEAAAAZZZZE! About the only use for this is in medicine where otherwise pharmacists would end up trying to measure a 1/86th of an ounce of drug. And by the way, Hippocrates didn't even have aspirin back in 500 B.C. -let alone any other man made drug. He obviously was an herbalist using plants that GOD gave us. Herbs are NOT anywhere near as touchy as drugs. Even the most potent herbs won't kill you if you end up eating a couple extra, dare I say, grams of it! So really if we were living the way Nature meant and not so brainwashed into drugs today, metric wouldn't even be needed for medicine! By the way, I had to put about 28 raisins on my scale and about 17 paper clips to get a gram -not 1 as they said. Accurate?? Uhhhh....... :/
Inches, feet, yards, miles, quarts, cups...... they were all here centuries upon centuries before this shhhhhhhhugar was invented. No one complained for thousands of centuries.
People whine about kids not learning as much in school today & many can't hardly read afterwards! So what's better.....teaching them how to move a decimal point over, or learning how to calculate 5280 / 3 = 1760 yards in a mile?

this mentally ill person on the internet sums it up pretty well, as always

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

i don't care, you are going to adopt the metric system and you are going to like it! you hear me?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

i'm glad the national cowboy hall of fame works well for you in your battle against a proper system of measurements

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nauta posted:

it's also fantastic in everyday use :confused:

its not for people who know thing in inches.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SplitSoul posted:

i'm glad the national cowboy hall of fame works well for you in your battle against a proper system of measurements

its not a battle. Americans are still going to use the imperial units.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

adopt it

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

yeah because ur stupid human being americans :smug:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

i dont like people who are different or do things differently

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nauta posted:

yeah because ur stupid human being americans :smug:

i guess so, use what you know.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
me enither

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

quote:

a lawsuit against metrication by the National Cowboy Hall of Fame

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

That Cowboy was a hero!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

waitwhatno posted:

i'm really happy that you have seen the light, wasn't that hard now, was it? we have to talk about your lovely presidential system of government next, you really need to switch to a parliamentary system ASAP

Yeah ive aways wanted a fascist party ti have a seat in the legislature great idea

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah ive aways wanted a fascist party ti have a seat in the legislature great idea

our honest-to-god fascists, wearing their little swastikas and goosestepping around like it's the 30s all over again, are probably still more moderate than the crazy poo poo you have going in your legislature nowadays

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
We use both imperial and metric units here in the US. We learn and use both in school or at work.

At least we don't use stones as a measurement of weight, what the gently caress is up with that?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

waitwhatno posted:

our honest-to-god fascists, wearing their little swastikas and goosestepping around like it's the 30s all over again, are probably still more moderate than the crazy poo poo you have going in your legislature nowadays

So your solution is to give the tiny groups of crazies more power grweat plan

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
2 parties is what god intended you communist faggots

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced

Elukka posted:

This is actually the best because then you know if it's gonna be wet or not outside.

OH IT'S 33 FAHRENHEIT SO IT'S ALL SLUSH AS OPPOSED TO THE NICE POWDERY SNOW IT WOULD BE IF IT WAS 28 FAHRENHEIT
I googled these conversions in allcaps

This is really loving stupid. Everyone knows that water freezes at 32F. Literally no-one is confused by this.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I like Fahrenheit but not anything else in imperial.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Metric would be a lot more usable if it had shorthands for halves and twos, and no, just saying one half or two does not count.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
literally every American child learns both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It would be nice if or

madeupfred posted:

Metric would be a lot more usable if it had shorthands for halves and twos, and no, just saying one half or two does not count.

"Point 5"

But it would be nice if people actually used the decimeter. It would help keep things from being hundreds of centimeters or fractions of a meter.

• Locked thread