Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

SgtSteel91 posted:

I couldn't hear, why are the dogs attacking the deer and they have to kill them?
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/628a8500-ff1c-11de-a677-00144feab49a.html#axzz36TgN6m9j

powers posted:

Flash Forward almost got explained, then it got cancelled.
Flash Forward explained that it was the supercollider causing the flashes.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Philthy posted:

Yeah, you might be on to something. I had no idea, honestly. I'll nuke it from my season pass.

Ok, cool, glad I could help.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Al Nipper posted:

Also I can't get past the central concept that the disappearance of a few million people would cause that much social unrest outside of their immediate families. Like would teenagers really give a gently caress? Nevermind the formation of cults. Did any of that happen after 9/11?

What??

9/11 was a terrorist act in one country that killed a few thousand people.

This was a global event affecting every country and "killing" / vanishing millions.

One is not the same as the other. Also, there wasn't THAT much social unrest really. Life seems to be going on pretty much as normal on the show.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Ask people in the Middle East if 9/11 had any effect.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Ask people in the Middle East if 9/11 had any effect.

600,000 Afghanis would like to have a word with you

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I can understand the feelings of the characters over the missing. My grandmother lost a baby when he was stolen from the hospital the day he was born. This was back in the day after WW2 in the Philippines, and they never had any leads or anyone ever help them find him. He just simply disappeared from the hospital and no one saw anything.

Even decades later I remember she used to talk about that baby, even though she lost other family in the war and to sickness, it was the missing baby that she thought about most and felt the worst about. She used to say it was her fault. Even I wonder myself if the missing baby grew up, had family of his own, and is now out there in the world, and none of us know, and he might not even know himself. You just want to know what happened.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

And the reality is unanswered questions are often simply better than answered ones if the journey to the conclusion was interesting enough.

Exactly. No sort of answer to the disappearance would be good.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There's a difference between a big historical event that has worldwide political and social ramifications and an event that defies all known science (and theology) leading people to question everything they've believed so far and even reality itself.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Can someone clear up for me what was the scene of the two people jumping off the roof related to?

The kid with whip marks on his back in the Texas cult gets (and ignores) a call from his dad.. Thats not the police chief's son though right? I assumed the police chief's son was raptured and his voicemail is the only record of his voice or something along those lines (which would also help explain why the mom joined the cult - if it is true that they recruit people who have lost and are trying to move on)

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

I think that was exactly his point?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

thathonkey posted:

The kid with whip marks on his back in the Texas cult gets (and ignores) a call from his dad.. Thats not the police chief's son though right? I assumed the police chief's son was raptured and his voicemail is the only record of his voice or something along those lines (which would also help explain why the mom joined the cult - if it is true that they recruit people who have lost and are trying to move on)

No, that's the Chief's son.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

thathonkey posted:

Can someone clear up for me what was the scene of the two people jumping off the roof related to?

It was the kid watching two people at his college jumping off the roof of what I could only assume is their dorm. I'm guessing that's what persuaded him to drop out.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 4, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

thathonkey posted:

The son is still there. He joined that cult. When he was asked why he dropped out, we can only assume the Departure hit him really hard, despite his immediate family being alright and unaffected by it (in the short-term). But regardless he and someone else (his g/f at the time?) tried to take their lives for some reason or another. Maybe they had lost someone close to them? They wanted to follow? It obviously affected him that much that he's now in a cult more or less.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sober posted:

The son is still there. He joined that cult. When he was asked why he dropped out, we can only assume the Departure hit him really hard, despite his immediate family being alright and unaffected by it (in the short-term). But regardless he and someone else (his g/f at the time?) tried to take their lives for some reason or another. Maybe they had lost someone close to them? They wanted to follow? It obviously affected him that much that he's now in a cult more or less.

Dude. He walked home to his dorm and saw two people kill themselves jumping off the building. Said gently caress this and dropped out of school.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I really just hope that the event isn't revealed to be actually the Rapture.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

the posted:

I really just hope that the event isn't revealed to be actually the Rapture.

Alien abduction, everyone returns the exact same age as when they left at the end of season 1.

Also, 140 million up and vanished, I would be shocked if millions didn't commit suicide in the following weeks, either from losing loved ones or thinking God turned their back on them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I would actually be fine with it being a legitimate rapture event. The way the world sort of just carries on in a nihilistic depression in The Leftovers, the charlatans and weird happenings are probably what would happen in a pre-tribulation rapture event rather than a left-behind style total collapse. Society runs on inertia and while 2% of the world's population vanishing is enough to maybe slow things down and upset people, it's not a show-stopping event.

Part of the reason I would enjoy the explanation being a unique take on the rapture is because I know a lot of people who believe they're going to be spared the apocalypse, despite believing it's coming to judge us all. It's kind of spelled out the faithful will be tested with everyone else but they don't like to acknowledge that. So I would be pretty happy to see a take on something that's discussed constantly that's a much more realistic take on things.

I never watched Lost, and the way the fans get so goddamn angry about it, I haven't even tried, but I saw what Lindelof did with Prometheus and going on that I can easily see spirituality slowly blended in with sci-fi or other mystical elements. Some very mild examples are already present here in the pilot. I doubt it'll ever be at the forefront, but if things like the Stag dream + events continue to happen you're not going to really ignore the reality that something spiritual, rather than simply sci-fi or mysterious, is the underlying explanation. I don't think there will ever be a solid answer here, but the premise is interesting and the pilot was good enough that I'm willing to give the first season a shot.

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?
I'm pretty excited about the next episode tomorrow. I was just wondering how you guys determined that the chain-smoking cult is called the Guilty Remnant. From what I remember they were only ever addressed as the Remnant and the GR in the pilot. Is this book knowledge or did I miss something? My assumption was the Godly Remnant when I first watched.

On a related note, I'm kind of bummed that a show with this mysterious of a pilot has source material. I'm hoping it diverges pretty hard so there isn't a spoiler situation like GoT had recently.

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
At the start of the first cult scene, when Lori is brushing her teeth to the replaced-mirror quote, at the end of the quote it's credited to -Guilty Remnant.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I really like this so far, but I don't really expect the show to be... popular, necessarily. I really enjoyed Lost for certain reasons, and tend to really like Lindelof's writing for the most part. I actually have a slight theory about this, and why his work tends to resonate with me and so many other people in this odd way.

Anyway, one of the common themes to Lindelof's work, in my eyes, is this constant search for a greater purpose to life; a more grand design. Don't mistake this for faith or religiosity, because it's actually very disconnected from those things - it has to do with growing up and having no real faith at all. Believing in nothing, and trying to cope with the crushing reality that our lives and existence could amount to no more than random atoms colliding together, from nothingness and back into nothingness.

When I watch Lindelof's work (Lost, Prometheus, Leftovers) there is this near-obsession with the possibility of the supernatural in a way that baffles everything we think we know about the nature of existence. And that is exciting, and a wonderful fantasy - because it simply allows for the possibility that there is *something more*. I don't believe in any sort of god and I was not given the gift of faith. I often try to stop and think for long periods and just attempt to wrap my head around the concept that there are people who truly believe - and how comforted that must make them feel, regardless of the fact that I may not share those beliefs.

But anyway, the reason why I find a show like this (and Lost) intriguing is somehow all tied up with that lack of faith. I'm not quite sure I adequately explained myself, or can adequately explain myself.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
Why couldn't ALL these people have disappeared? What a terrible show.

Kelfeftaf fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 6, 2014

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?

Dryb posted:

At the start of the first cult scene, when Lori is brushing her teeth to the replaced-mirror quote, at the end of the quote it's credited to -Guilty Remnant.

Oh, man I don't know how I missed that.

The previews make it look like Garvey is having an American Beauty moment with his daughter's friend. This is kinda dumb at first glance, even if it was foreshadowed last episode. However the hints in the preview also make it seems like the friend is after someone she deems dangerous and luring Garvey into helping so maybe it'll take an interesting direction. Like a post-rapture teenaged batman.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Kelfeftaf posted:

Why couldn't ALL these people have disappeared? What a terrible show.

Seriously. I want to enjoy it, but holy poo poo everyone is just such a huge, unrepentant rear end in a top hat. The discussion with the mayor was mind blowing, he was bringing up a completely rational point and the mayor was a massive dick for no reason at all. "They're just non violently protesting!" They....are very clearly stalking certain people for the sole purpose of causing mental distress. How is that not massively illegal?

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 7, 2014

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Evil FBI saving "underage" Asian teens from benevolent sex cult leader. That's big government for you.

jfc, that scene made no sense.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
Hahha that drive by redneck dude rules

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Lol

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
When is this supposed to get good?

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

That was very boring

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Dryb posted:

When is this supposed to get good?

Two episodes ago.

Talk to me in six seasons then we'll see. :getin:

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

I liked this episode too. I think it's gonna really pick up soon...I already got excited at some of the "supernatural" stuff in this episode. Count me in for #3

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

Seriously. I want to enjoy it, but holy poo poo everyone is just such a huge, unrepentant rear end in a top hat. The discussion with the mayor was mind blowing, he was bringing up a completely rational point and the mayor was a massive dick for no reason at all. "They're just non violently protesting!" They....are very clearly stalking certain people for the sole purpose of causing mental distress. How is that not massively illegal?

Yeah, I gave the show a shot with this second episode and it's just not pulling me in. It's a really good premise that they're just sort of squandered.

The "Guilty Remnants" are a neat idea but it just doesn't translate as well as it could. Why the hell do people join them? At least with a cult like Wayne's there's a charismatic leader to reel people in.

I'll just read the answers to all the mysteries on Wikipedia when the show ends.

E: Also the subplot of "Is the Police Chief actually this bald dog killer??" is stupid as all get out.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

was I not paying enough attention to the first episode or do we not know who liv tyler is and why she joined the white pants cult? I just remember her getting pissed off at them stalking her and then later in the episode she joins them. idk

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

E the Shaggy posted:

Yeah, I gave the show a shot with this second episode and it's just not pulling me in. It's a really good premise that they're just sort of squandered.

The "Guilty Remnants" are a neat idea but it just doesn't translate as well as it could. Why the hell do people join them? At least with a cult like Wayne's there's a charismatic leader to reel people in.

I'll just read the answers to all the mysteries on Wikipedia when the show ends.

E: Also the subplot of "Is the Police Chief actually this bald dog killer??" is stupid as all get out.

I can sort of see the IDEA of the GR. An event like this can cause a lot of people to go crazy and lose hope. The massive problem is that their methods would have gotten them disbanded as soon as they began to exist. You can't just constantly follow people for the sole purpose of making them miserable enough to join your cult.

The show just feels like it desperately wants people to take it seriously so it sort of loops around to being absurd. The entire party scene was eye rollingly bad. The show never gives you a feeling of scope, by rushing three years later you're left with this weird society where teenagers are branding themselves and getting choked for party games. People are randomly shooting dogs and no one knows? The show should have spent at least the first episode exploring the immediate aftermath.

Also, how the hell did the police not know there was a massive pack of feral dogs running around?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

romanowski posted:

was I not paying enough attention to the first episode or do we not know who liv tyler is and why she joined the white pants cult? I just remember her getting pissed off at them stalking her and then later in the episode she joins them. idk

She' was not happy in her relationship and according to her fiancé, has been delaying their marriage for over three years. So like any sane person left in the middle of the night and went right for option cult.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
I have a bad feeling that this show got a ton of slack from advance viewers just for being HBO. The Leftovers: The Emperor's New Series.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

geeves posted:

She' was not happy in her relationship and according to her fiancé, has been delaying their marriage for over three years. So like any sane person left in the middle of the night and went right for option cult.

I bet an actress could convey the necessary emotions to hammer that idea home.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

E the Shaggy posted:

I bet an actress could convey the necessary emotions to hammer that idea home.

I had forgotten just how bad Liv Tyler could be.

I'm digging the show, but then again, I like weird poo poo and have voluntarily sat through quite a lot of tortuous films, so I get why this isn't going to click with people.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I thought that the show was trying to make her motivations ~a mystery~ like everything else but idk I'm probably just not paying enough attention cause the show is pretty boring so far. people were posting reviews earlier that said it doesn't get interesting until the 3rd ep though so I'll give it ONE MORE CHANCE if I remember to

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
I'm really enjoying this show. I like the characters and am not nearly as frustrated by everything as you guys apparently are. My only complaint with this episode was that I don't really understand what's so bad about Wayne that the FBI would need to send in a drat SWAT team. All we were told is that he maybe fucks underage girls, but they responded as if they were going after Bin Ladin. I guess maybe we'll find out some more sinister stuff about him in the future? But it's hard for me to get into the drama of that shootout when I'm just sitting there confused about why it's happening.

Otherwise though I'm loving this and am very much looking forward to the next episode. Despite some minor issues I'm totally on board. But it's not really a show I can defend passionately because it's just a matter of if it didn't hook you, it didn't hook you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mr. Boogie posted:

I'm really enjoying this show. I like the characters and am not nearly as frustrated by everything as you guys apparently are. My only complaint with this episode was that I don't really understand what's so bad about Wayne that the FBI would need to send in a drat SWAT team. All we were told is that he maybe fucks underage girls, but they responded as if they were going after Bin Ladin. I guess maybe we'll find out some more sinister stuff about him in the future? But it's hard for me to get into the drama of that shootout when I'm just sitting there confused about why it's happening.

Otherwise though I'm loving this and am very much looking forward to the next episode. Despite some minor issues I'm totally on board. But it's not really a show I can defend passionately because it's just a matter of if it didn't hook you, it didn't hook you.

FBI swat is standard procedure for cults. See Waco, Jonestown.... Heavily armed nut jobs with total devotion to someone who has created a cult of personality.

• Locked thread