Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Can someone clear up for me what was the scene of the two people jumping off the roof related to?

The kid with whip marks on his back in the Texas cult gets (and ignores) a call from his dad.. Thats not the police chief's son though right? I assumed the police chief's son was raptured and his voicemail is the only record of his voice or something along those lines (which would also help explain why the mom joined the cult - if it is true that they recruit people who have lost and are trying to move on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Been reading this thread and it seems like a lot of people are confused re: candy.

Gummy bears still exist in the world. Amply. The kid just had to smuggle them into the cult's compound because Wayne enforces all types of crazy rear end rules. The world is fundamentally the same. They obviously picked the percentage of population to disappear at a number high enough that it would impact an appreciable of those who remained but at the same time low enough that it would not fundamentally change the global economy, commerce, etc etc

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
That the GR dont talk once theyve formally joined the cult is kind of interesting (eh kinda) but from a practical standpoint it was a really bad choice for a filmed adaptation.

All of the scenes that involve watching people scribble and read back and forth have been incredibly tedious.

Also the teenage girls subplot makes very little sense...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

geeves posted:

It doesn't have to make sense. They're just being white privileged teenagers, skipping school, getting drunk and stalking odd local celebrities with no consequences.

That all makes sense it just seems contrived that theyre using the teens to explore/stalk that Nora lady because they saw her do something slghtly odd. But i guess you could just chalk that up to them being teenaged.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 7, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Theyve only specifically talked about dogs who witnessed it directly. The implication was that they vanished into thin air but the explanation leaves room for something wilder.

The disappearing would have to be rather quick.... Laundromat lady turned away for several seconds at the most iirc.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Weird episode but i liked it. Now there's two interesting characters at least in my mind (sheriff and priest).

Thread is still loving retarded as hell though. 9/11 gets brought up every episode. Seriously how are some of you so obtuse that you cant realize how 2% of the population VANISHING WITHOUT EXPLANATION is about as different as possible be compared to a terrorist attack that killed a tiny fraction of that number with ample explanations to go around.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Weren't critics saying one of the episodes was especially good? Was it the one that just aired?

The character-centric episode reminds me a lot of Lindelof's work on Lost. He is a so adept at writing interestingly about "ordinary" (for lack of a better word) people. I may be in the minority here but some of my favorite parts of Lost were off-island backstories that really fleshed out the characters. Those were always pretty exceptional.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I never noticed any accent problems and i rewatched some of the latest episode after reading the spergfest going on itt and still didnt notice anything off so i am gonna have to go with goons being goons.

Why are all HBO show threads so loving terrible?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

fullroundaction posted:

What is this forum for other than to be nitpicky spergs? I guess we could just list episode numbers and write like/dislike next to them to streamline things.

Yes there is definitely no middle ground. Good thinking!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ChristianDB posted:

literally the worst thread

You must not be familiar with the True Detective thread :smug:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Carteret posted:

I'm so glad i tuned out of the True Detective thread. That whole "she was raaaaaaaaaped" derail that lasted most of the season was maddening.

But in retrospect it was kind of worth it to see how wrong everyone involved in that stupid rear end conversation was. Lost really ruined a lot of people's ability to watch television. The scars are still obvious in just about every thread about a show where there is some element of mystery involved.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Please shut the gently caress up about accents. The derail about other tv shows' equally awful threads has been the best part of this thread so far.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Max posted:

Can we discuss whether the GR that were hanging out in front of the church were actually trying to recruit Matt, or were they scoping out their potential new digs?

I figured it was to recruit him knowing that he will lose the church soon and perhaps be more susceptible to joining GR at that time.

It's so sad when you realize that the reason Matt missed the foreclosure deadline and lost his church to the GR is because he stopped to check on the GR member who got rocked in the head and got rocked himself into a 3-day coma.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The GR seem to be pretty well funded. They have homes (a whole subdivision?), minivans, and now a church. Theyve showed how Wayne's cult of hugs earns money but i assume GR money comes from its members who figure they dont need it any more now that they have joined a weird rear end cult.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 20, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah this episode was pretty underwhelming. I don't have much faith left for this show but somebody earlier was wondering if the GR was local to the New York town where most of the show has been set so far. This episode at least showed that they are not when two GR members hand Tom a pamphlet at the bus station in another state (presumably Texas).

Not much else happened from a plot perspective other than the GR committing a ton of crimes at the end and a bit more vague mystery was haphazardly tossed in regarding the crazed German-speaker's dream about white bodies then their bus coming across that very scene later in the episode. The one interesting character development/moment was Kevin's wife trying to retrieve the gifted lighter. This shows that she doesn't actually believe there is no more family.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 21, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

R. Mute posted:

I'm going to move to America and become a burglar because drat that poo poo looks easy.

Not sure how big the show's town is, but in some small American towns it's still not that uncommon for people to leave their windows and even doors unlocked, not have security systems, etc.

But still, that scene where the GR are suddenly expert cat burglars was as stupid as it was implausible. I really want to like this show but this episode was the weakest so far by a long shot.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I can certainly understand not liking the show at this point but why do people keep acting like it keeps bringing up new mysteries and such?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I can buy theories on why people would join the GR, but the show has done an atrocious job of convincing me why Liv Tyler (the character we get to experience the cult's indoctrination process via) would suddenly decide to join.

I get that she lost someone, cant even remember who, and was having a tough time getting over it but her decision to join is super weak in the "show, dont tell" dept

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

In 500 years they'll discover tumblr, deviantart and call our time the dark ages.

I discovered those sites already and consider our time to be the dark ages.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

New ep tomorrow anyone excited?

Not really. Just hoping that the ep4 stumble doesn't turn into an ep5 collapse so I'll have something, anything to watch on Sunday nights besides True Blood.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah that was a really good episode and had a lot of interesting things going on. I was on the fence about watching the rest of the season after last episode but I'm pretty hooked now.

I like the short little fake-outs that others might have been raptured away after the initial event (like in the morgue when they first open the empty bed they thought the dead GR lady was on).

Not having any of the worst plot of the show - the Wayen/Asian girl/Garvey's son - certainly helped the episode a lot too. I wish they had just cut that whole part of the plot but I'll re-evaluated once we see it play out.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Wallet posted:

The guys voice does drop an octave during the phone call, but it's very clearly the same dude.

I'm pretty sure all of the stuff going on with the guy hunting wild dogs is supposed to be illuminating Garvey's predicament with the GR. The prevailing sentiment is that they've gone rabid and should be put down, but that's hard to swallow when your wife is one of them.

I think you're onto something. Also can we please cease all stupid speculation about the phone call with the ATF agent. Nothing about the tone of the show suggests that there is anything suspicious going on there.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm calling it now that the season ends with people starting to come back.

Fine by me so long as long as they dont start posting in this thread again.

(But seriously doubt this is how theyll play it.)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
There are a couple oddities about the phone call from the agent:

* it takes garvey 3-4 tries to disarm the security system (although that could just be because it is new)
* the agent only got one message (presumably the first) though we saw garvey leave 3

Doesnt mean it was some schizo moment. I think in classic Lindelof fashion there are lots of things in this show that feel a little off and that gives it this mysterious vibe.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

CODChimera posted:

It could've just been random people in the town.

Occam's razor. That and in the priest's episode we've already seen random townspeople throw stones at GR members.

Then theres the dude who tells Garvey not to bother investigating the death too closely. Hint: the townspeople dont think too highly of the GR.

I will be very very surprised if it was a GR attack on themselves. Less surprised but very disappointed if it is the priest's group. Best case scenario i think they just dont even address it.

I kinda liked that scene where Lori blew the whistle at the priest. Good misdirection: you thought she was going to join and mourn for the dead member of her group and suddenly - nope.

edit: Can somebody explain wtf happened at the end of the (very much one sided) diner convo between laurie and the gr leader lady? Who is Neil? Why does she start crying? What was in the bag? Why does this loving show keep creating mysteries!?!?!?!! :colbert:

I figured Neil is her son or something but i have no idea.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 29, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Lol at whoever suggested another season of the Newsroom should have replaced this show.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

My point is that The Newsroom is a really bad show, even worse than The Leftovers, which is only watchable if you ignore large portions and consider it a 30 minute show.

Most accurate post so far itt

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Peta posted:

The Newsroom is more entertaining

I would agree, in a "laughing at it instead of with it" sort of way.

The Leftovers is mostly just depressing (but I enjoy the show for the most part). It's really an apples and oranges comparison though so i'm gonna stop typing now.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Welp this episode went from mega depressing to full-on wtf in about 30 seconds flat. Nora-centric? :getin:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Eukodol posted:

Take Nora back to the bartender. "Is this the woman who broke the mirror? No? You are free to go."

Lame side-plot easily resolved in minutes.

Not like they work in shifts or anything. But yeah I was pretty much wondering "security footage?" during that whole bit. Certainly a hotel like that would have ample security cameras in their bar. Anyway, quibbling aside, thought that was a great episode. Also,

ChadSexington posted:

Holy Wayne: Bringing a new definition of "let's hug it out, bitch" to HBO programming.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
So Matt the Priest is Norah's brother or perhaps in-law? The (2?) character-centric episodes thus far have been a lot better than the rest and they were about Matt and Norah. Didn't Lost primarily consist of character-centric episodes or was that just later seasons?

The worst parts of the show so far have all been related to the Garvey's son plot so hopefully it is about to connect with the "main" plot in a meaningful way...

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 4, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Having gone through lengths NOT to touch on that subject, I'm guessing they're saving those juicy details until the right moment.

When Norah is making her way through the protestors to enter the hotel, you can overhear a bit about "human matter disappearing" or something like that which could be taken to imply that non-human matter such as clothing remained. The closest we've seen to the actual act of disappearing was in the first episode though. The woman at the laundromat turns away and back to see her baby, clothes included (right?), vanished.

But yeah, if enough dogs witnessed disappearances to form wild packs in a single small town then the statistics would also favor plenty of humans witnessing disappearances.

If it turns out that Garvey was cheating on his wife with somebody at the moment they disappeared, maybe that is how we, the viewer, will be shown.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 4, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

We have literally already seen that

We see a quick cut to him having sex with a woman that is done in a way that could imply that is where he was at the moment of the departure iirc... so literally, no, we havent seen a departure.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Bown posted:

:smug: my superior opinion :smug:

...Anyway, I think we can all agree that the character-centric format is a winner. This is what Lindelof seems to be best at. As an added bonus, it allows the show to completely ignore its lovely parts (Liv Tyler, the Garvey son/pregnant Asian girl subplot/whatever else you don't like about the show) for a while. If the show gets a second season, hopefully they'll be able to tune it so that all of the episodes are done this way. It still managed to advance the "plot" plenty. I put plot in quotes because there's not much of one right now.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 4, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I had to go back and watch that part when Garvey is asked where he was during the departure. It's ambiguous at best... there is a very brief moment at the end where he appears to drop down into a space where the woman would've been though. Missed that the first time through. That is a good catch.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Thanks, can we hug this out?

Consider it hugged out.

Y'know, I'm fine with the show not exploring the mystery of why/where are they now, but it will be kind of lame if they don't ever cover the actual moment of disappearance in more detail at some point.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 4, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

tadashi posted:

I don't expect they will ever attempt to explain why the departure happened or why certain people disappeared, though. That's just so far from the point of the show.

Oh yeah, totally fine with that!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

AgentHaiTo posted:

All I could think of in that scene was, do not enter your username and password into some strange person's laptop. Tell them to email you a payment link then use your phone to pay for it. She is going to get back home and have her paypal account drain her banking account, then have to go thru paypal dispute.

That would have definitely made the scene better, yes.

Nora just gave a call girl 3k to shoot her in the chest I think it's safe to say she has a lot of DI or just savings that she no longer needs/gives a poo poo about since her entire family vanished.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I usually watch with CC on and I don't recall seeing any subtitle or captioning during that specific part. I'd have to go back and rewatch the scene because a lot of things on this show are (deliberately) filmed/come-off ambiguously but my take on it was basically exactly what you got written down as a subtitle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

homo punching bag posted:

I really like the little piano score in this show.

Yeah, agreed, it gets stuck in my head after every episode

This one is really pretty as well and different from the above.

(The theme is great too.)

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 7, 2014

• Locked thread