Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Welcome SAS, to the temporary home of this thread because it's OPENING WEEK THANK GOD MY FOOTBALL IS BACK.

Lots of changes this season. Ottawa rejoins the league as the REDBLACKS (which is silly and I will only accept Rouge Et Noir), causing Winnipeg to become a Western Division team again.

Here you will find some info on the upcoming broadcasts this season. Important to note that Dave Randorf has left TSN to do NHL on Sportsnet, Rod Smith is his replacement as host of the panel. http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=455609

Lots of many exciting things happened, Calvillo succumbing to old age, Drew Tate sucking, Kevin Glenn whining, Henry Burris smiling, etc. On the heel of an electric win for the Roughriders in a home Grey Cup game, we look ahead to BC and their planned exciting festival for this years championship game.

Join in, bookmark this thread, and follow along as we cry about our teams failures throughout this 2014 season.

Watch Mike Reilly throw a ball through a bunch of tires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFUznShRqVg

:canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

An important thing also happened. WE HAVE FANTASY FOOTBALL NOW.
http://cflfantasy.tsn.ca/tsn/cfl14_en/promo

Finally, an answer to us people with too much time on our hands and a compulsive attitude towards winning.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
:toot: NEW SEASON! :toot:

A few videos:
This is Our League
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS1jCfg7Qxc

Best Finish to a Game (sorry as usual Drunk Canuck)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BFaykcxGg

Let's Celebrate!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeF8hsTebmE

Angelo Mosca not being able to let something go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9xuitpho3M

When I get a change in a week or 2 I'll try to do a usual write up on the differences between US and Canadian rules, for newbies or others looking to get their summer football fix. This year now featuring :siren: video replay on pass interference :siren:

GO GREENGOLDS!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Let's see if this streaming wants to work. http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/live/network/espn3 for Comcast subscribers for what seems to be all the regular season games.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 27, 2014

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Go GoldBlues, beat down those BlueBlues Wiley!!

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Good news for people who want to see the CFL.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Awesome! Now I can force coworkers to start watching with me.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Starting to get excited about the Riders not sucking this season despite losing so many good players

Please don't disappoint me :unsmith:

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

The new RB and WR looked pretty drat good, even if it was against Hamilton.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Could someone who follows the NFL tell me what are the chances that Sheets or Dressler actually make it? I'm pretty sure Dressler is back in green and white before the NFL season starts because he's sooooo tiny, but maybe Sheets becomes a backup RB for a really bad Oakland team.

Riders looked really good and the West is going to be really competitive this year. So competitive that whoever makes it to the final will be worn down and the Rouge et Noir will win the Grey Cup in a landslide.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Dressler's in the right place to have a chance, KC's receivers are terrible. Unfortunately for him they drafted De'Anthony Thomas who is another midget and probably ends up handling returns. He was a running back in college but the theory is they'll try to make him into a receiver so he'll probably start getting worked in to situations where you'd think of Dressler.

Not to say that he can't make it because we do seem to love ridiculously tiny guys for some reason around here, but it's looking tougher than it did before the draft.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Chicken posted:

Could someone who follows the NFL tell me what are the chances that Sheets or Dressler actually make it? I'm pretty sure Dressler is back in green and white before the NFL season starts because he's sooooo tiny, but maybe Sheets becomes a backup RB for a really bad Oakland team.

I doubt Dressler will make it to the end of training camp, let alone play in an NFL regular season game.

Sheets will at least make it to the preseason before being cut or booted down to the practice squad.

Grittybeard posted:

Not to say that he can't make it because we do seem to love ridiculously tiny guys for some reason around here, but it's looking tougher than it did before the draft.

Small guys can really excel in the CFL thanks to the wider field and running starts. It's very hard for those guys to make the jump to the NFL though - just look at what happened to Fantuz.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

quote:

Small guys can really excel in the CFL thanks to the wider field and running starts. It's very hard for those guys to make the jump to the NFL though - just look at what happened to Fantuz.

Fantuz is pretty big though? Looks like he's above average in both weight and height for NFL wide receivers.

Any guesses on the Rider player to be honoured with a food product available at your local Co-op? I'm going with Allen-Dressed chips or Milo Vico.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Chicken posted:

Fantuz is pretty big though? Looks like he's above average in both weight and height for NFL wide receivers.

Any guesses on the Rider player to be honoured with a food product available at your local Co-op? I'm going with Allen-Dressed chips or Milo Vico.

Calgary co-ops finally commissioned "Cornish Flakes" and "Cornish BBQ chips" after years of stocking Saskatchewan stuff lmao.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ceyton posted:

The Chiefs seem weird about that though, they just lost Dexter McCluster (tiny guy) because he cost too much, they knew they probably couldn't keep him so they signed Dressler. Then they go and draft another little guy in Thomas.

I never liked McCluster but I guess he showed enough to belong in the NFL, maybe they can figure out a way to get Dressler in space with NFL rules? I mean, I'd rather Bowe actually started living up to his contract but after last year anyone who can produce--like anything at all--is worth a look.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I just found out that Argos are not being sold to MLSE, and as such will never play at BMO field.

Here's hoping they can figure out some other outdoor stadium to play in because the Skydome is a really lovely place to watch football.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
Can someone explain how power rankings work to me? The Esks beat BC in week 1 and are somehow ranked 2 spots behind them.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Season Tickets Arrived! And I got two lanyards as my free swag?! Lame.

Anyone going to the RedBlacks meet and greet next wendesday?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
All three east teams that played last week lost and collectively scored less than Winnipeg alone.

West owns, go Green Golds

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Week 2 is here and the GDT is back in the normal spot that is TFF!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647852

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
Should this thread be moved back to TFF?

Also, that Odell Willis hit on Collaros - was that a dirty hit or no? For me it looked clean - shoulder into the chest and incidental helmet contact but a lot of people seem to disagree

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Dwight Anderson got traded to the Argonauts for a conditional 2015 draft pick.

Fffffuck.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Rene Bork posted:

Dwight Anderson got traded to the Argonauts for a conditional 2015 draft pick.

Fffffuck.

Ehhh he didn't look great against the Argos I guess.

On the other hand, if this means a return to the days of the Riders secondary sucking massive goat balls, I'm not a fan of this move.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I really don't know how to deal with the bombers being 3-0. Could this be the year?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Red Red Blue posted:

I really don't know how to deal with the bombers being 3-0. Could this be the year?

The answer is no, it's never Winnipeg's year.

(Please let it be Winnipeg's year :ohdear:)

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I would actually be Okay with this being Winnipeg's year. It would be nice if you were good again so I could poo poo all over you without a guilty conscience.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Like many CFL teams, but perhaps moreso than any other save Ottawa, Winnipeg's fortunes live and die entirely with their quarterback. Willy is managing to bail out a defence that isn't generally very good thus far, but an injury to him or some sort of slow down and it will all start to fall apart.

Backup is Brian Brohm, who has played in all of six football games since 2007. He has a good pedigree in that he was a Heisman candidate, but 2006 is a very long ways away now.

Robert Marve is third string, and he has an injury profile that makes Matt Dunnigan look downright durable.

Mason Mills was just signed. He's apparently from the University of San Diego and played in the Pioneer Football League. I had never heard of that until he was signed, and looking at some of the PFL's top players of all time, they haven't amounted to anything since their college careers, so not much may be expected of Mills. There are two other PFLers in the CFL, both are with Calgary. Billy Peach is there on the practice roster, and probably wouldn't be if his passport wasn't Canadian. Lin J-Shell is the other one, and he's certainly legit enough. It is also notable that Kerwin Bell coaches one of the teams in that league (though not the one that Mills is from).

So, hope Willy stays healthy/doesn't regress.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Mason Mills was just signed. He's apparently from the University of San Diego and played in the Pioneer Football League. I had never heard of that until he was signed, and looking at some of the PFL's top players of all time, they haven't amounted to anything since their college careers, so not much may be expected of Mills. There are two other PFLers in the CFL, both are with Calgary. Billy Peach is there on the practice roster, and probably wouldn't be if his passport wasn't Canadian. Lin J-Shell is the other one, and he's certainly legit enough. It is also notable that Kerwin Bell coaches one of the teams in that league (though not the one that Mills is from).

The Pioneer only exists because about two decades ago the NCAA made it a rule that you couldn't have your football team play in a lower division if you were a DI school. It consists entirely of non-scholarship programs and consequently doesn't really have a very high level of play.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
This morning, the Bombers brought in Josh Portis from Toronto via a trade.

So that makes five QB's now, all of them have fewer pro starts to their name than they do fingers on their hands.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
For anyone going to the Esks game on the 24, apparently no one claimed the 50/50 prize from last week's game so they're rolling it over into the jackpot for that game. Seeing as how the jackpot was somewhere around $70,000 whoever wins should end up with a pretty good payday.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Faxman posted:

For anyone going to the Esks game on the 24, apparently no one claimed the 50/50 prize from last week's game so they're rolling it over into the jackpot for that game. Seeing as how the jackpot was somewhere around $70,000 whoever wins should end up with a pretty good payday.

Road trip!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

GDT thread up http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651469

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
N: Eskimos are back baby
V:

mindofme
May 19, 2003

Learn trispace and never have to think about math again!

GuavaMoment posted:

V:

Yesss.. YESSSS

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653114

Week 5 GDT up

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

GuavaMoment posted:

V:

Whoa players are allowed to celebrate in the CFL?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Igor Strelkov posted:

Whoa players are allowed to celebrate in the CFL?

Yup, the rule is something like no props allowed, nothing indecent, and no taunting or something. Anyone have boatcelebration.gif handy? (which was a penalty under the props rule, but whatever)

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
So my friends and I were drunk last night and watching cfl at a bar in Syracuse NY, USA, 3 hours from Buffalo. We're all Bills fans and were thinking, When the Bills get ripped from our hands in a few years and we never watch the NFL again. Would Buffalo be close enough to Canada to support a CFL franchise. While I think it would be a sore spot for the first few years after the Bills are stolen from us, I could see the city giving the team enough support to keep the team profitable.

I really feel like Canada is missing out by not having someone to call "Americas Team".

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

The American Dream posted:

So my friends and I were drunk last night and watching cfl at a bar in Syracuse NY, USA, 3 hours from Buffalo. We're all Bills fans and were thinking, When the Bills get ripped from our hands in a few years and we never watch the NFL again. Would Buffalo be close enough to Canada to support a CFL franchise. While I think it would be a sore spot for the first few years after the Bills are stolen from us, I could see the city giving the team enough support to keep the team profitable.

I really feel like Canada is missing out by not having someone to call "Americas Team".

It would definitely be feasible to put a CFL team in Buffalo when the Bills get Baltimore'd/Cleveland'd out of there. Back when the CFL had it's US expansion, Baltimore's team was popular and actually made money because it was football in a town that liked football (and they won the Grey Cup!). Plus Buffalo is actually close to Canada and travel wouldn't be a big problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Not to ruin the sanctity of Canadian Football. We were also discussing what other American cities would work with the idea they would have to be pretty close to the boarder and not have NFL teams already. We came up with Portland, Buffalo and Boise because we figure there's nothing else to loving do there and they love college football there.

We had a fun debate about the pros and cons of Detroit having a team. Pros: lol Lions, right across the bridge. Cons:Red Wings season is starting, Tigers are usually good lately, No one has any money that would go to a CFL game. We figure Portland would work because day drinking and it would allow people to be smug about something the rest of the country doesn't care about.

• Locked thread