Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Gotta go to the store soon but I don't know how to shop. How do you guys plan your trips? Do you bring maps of the store? What happens if someone asks me something, do I answer? How do checkouts work? Any help appreciated, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
I'm in a similar pickle OP, I'm going to a cocoa/chocolate themed restaurant this weekend with my gf and I can't decide what to order it all looks too good so any help would be appreciated...

‘Ground Provision’ Roti
Our spin on this traditional St Lucian staple. Homemade cacao-nib wrap filled with ground provision vegetables, slowly cooked in curried coconut sauce, cocoa pilau rice, sweet potato ribbons, raita, green leaf salad. All veggie, fish or chicken.
(Ground Provisions - West Indian for vegetables grown in the ground.)

Vegetable Roti (V) - £12.00
Fish Roti - £14.00
Chicken Roti - £14.00

Cocoa Beer Brined Pork Belly
Slow-cooked in its own juices, with white beans, broad beans, garlic mash and cocoa-mint sauce.

£16.00

The Roast+Conch Hamburger (Chilli or Regular)
Chef Bentham’s recipe with hand-chopped rump steak and a twist of cocoa. All the trimmings – cocoa beer onion confit, Montgomery aged cheddar, crisp dry cure bacon – all in a homemade ‘cocoa pod’ bread bun, with sweet potato ribbons and onion rings.

£15.00

The Boucanier Salad
Rare seared Tuna with green leaves and herbs, cocoa pesto, soft poached egg, sweet corn spiced potatoes, roast garlic cacao aioli, flat nib bread. The signature salad from Boucan in St Lucia.

With Tuna - £17.00
Without Tuna (V) - £12.00

Mac & Cheese Pie (V)
A weekend must-have all over the West Indies. Our interpretation is made with leeks, wild mushrooms, Barber's 1833 Vintage cheddar and truffle-cocoa oil, all in a cacao-nib crust. Tomato relish, mixed herb leaf salad. V

£13.00

4-Hour Lamb Pepperpot
An original from the indigenous cocoa-worshipping people of Central America and West Indies, the Amerindians. Gentle, warming spices with chopped vegetables, gravy and beer stick bread (simply twist the stick and dip away).

£16.00

Trini Platter
Trinidad, the island that gave us Trinitario cocoa, also created a melting pot of Indian and creole food, which spread through the islands. A tasting platter of three distinct spiced classics – fragrant aubergine, sweet potatoes and cauliflower, red bean dahl. Crispbread, cocoa rice and cooling raita. V

£13.00

Creole Fish
Best fish of the moment, pan-fried in bacon-flour with sweet potato purée and peanut curry sauce.

£17.00

Garden Tagliatelle
Slow roast tomatoes, cocoa butter-roasted garlic confit, warm spiced aubergine, cocoa pesto tagliatelle. V

£13.00

Cocoa Marinated Rib Eye of Beef
Locally reared 28-day aged beef, matured and marinated in cocoa nibs, with sautéed spinach, ground provision gratin, cocoa nib and rum pepper sauce. A dish from our Boucan restaurant in Saint Lucia.

Rib Eye - £25.00 Fillet - £30.00

Cod Fillet One-Pot
Prepared in the traditional one-pot method used in the villages around our cocoa estate, capturing all the subtle flavours, with new potatoes, butternut squash, green figs, spring onions and cocoa-mint condiment. GF

£17.00

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

Gotta go to the store soon but I don't know how to shop. How do you guys plan your trips? Do you bring maps of the store? What happens if someone asks me something, do I answer? How do checkouts work? Any help appreciated, thanks!

I only shop at stores where I have spent a day of fieldwork mapping product locations. Another tip is to use the self-checkout to avoid having to interact with humans.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Start with the ad flier and work off of that.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
buy a cheese grater. run into the vegetable section and grab everything that is a root vegetable. run home. attempt to make them into hash browns.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Healthy veggies
Sardines
Red Meat
Quinua
3 nice cheeses (if it says kraft, put it back :colbert:)
Lentils
Swiss Chard, Kale, and some romaine
Sea Salt

Kitty food for your cat.

Make some yum food.

The End.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

What is normal to eat? Do you cook the healthy veggies? I had some broccoli once and it was very tough.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Self checkouts have significantly increased the quality of my life.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
2 Heads of Fresh uncut broccoli
Cream or Half&Half
Sea Salt
Ground Cumin

Boil broccoli in a large stock pot until its super soft. Drain the excess green water into another container. Use a hand blender to get all the broccoli to a smooth consistency. Add cream or half&half, seasalt, and Ground cumin to flavor the "broccoli dough". Add the excess green water to the "broccoli dough" until its a nice soupy texture.

Thats how you make some bad rear end, kickbutt, awesome broccoli soup.

It can keep in the fridge for up to a week. You can also skip turning the broccoli dough into soup and pan fry it or deep fry it. Broccoli Pakora anyone?!

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Just buy all the butter.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

SopWATh posted:

Just buy all the Olive Oil.

I fixed that for you.

Fat gently caress.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

psyopmonkey posted:

I fixed that for you.

Fat gently caress.

Do you think olive oil is not pure fat or something? Do you know what oil is? Are you using olive oil like a high smoke point cooking oil? Lol.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

ansel autisms posted:

What do you want to buy at the store?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

psyopmonkey posted:

I fixed that for you.

Fat gently caress.

Olive oil has a really low smoke point and there are plenty of instances where butter works better than olive oil. You can't drizzle butter on a salad, it's true, but French toast made in olive oil is pretty bullshit.

It's good to have a selection of fats for different uses.
Rice bran and coconut oil for high temperature frying
Olive for salads, drizzling and low temperature cooking
Butter for baking and some frying applications
Bacon drippings for popcorn and green beans

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Olive Oil is healthier than Butter.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/olive-oil-myths-and-facts.html#b

Go read something, yeh special ed case. :iamafag:

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

psyopmonkey posted:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/olive-oil-myths-and-facts.html#b

I'm still not putting olive oil on my sandwiches.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

psyopmonkey posted:

If your olive oil does not have a harvest date chances are it's years old and has long ago lost it's health benefits. If it does have a harvest date, you have to use it wihin the year to actually get anything out of it. Maybe learn about your ingredients before you start spouting bullshit like an amateur.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I put olive oil in my Guacamole.

Hey OP, you should make Guacamole.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Pizza rolls and a 30 rack

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Hobohemian posted:

If your olive oil does not have a harvest date chances are it's years old and has long ago lost it's health benefits. If it does have a harvest date, you have to use it wihin the year to actually get anything out of it. Maybe learn about your ingredients before you start spouting bullshit like an amateur.

Learn to cook pleeb.

https://imgur.com/a/n7fbO

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Shithouse Dave posted:

Olive oil has a really low smoke point and there are plenty of instances where butter works better than olive oil. You can't drizzle butter on a salad, it's true, but French toast made in olive oil is pretty bullshit.

It's good to have a selection of fats for different uses.
Rice bran and coconut oil for high temperature frying
Olive for salads, drizzling and low temperature cooking
Butter for baking and some frying applications
Bacon drippings for popcorn and green beans

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!

Hog Butcher posted:

buy a cheese grater. run into the vegetable section and grab everything that is a root vegetable. run home. attempt to make them into hash browns.

I believe a potato ricer is the correct implement to make hashbrowns with. Using a ricer is fun but you'll have to be comfortable with being a blatant rice-ist.

Order you poo poo online, have it delivered, creep out the delivery guy. hth

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

I don't get my cooking advice from fitday and instagram, sorry.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

ansel autisms posted:

usually i hit the place with a dozen of my friends. we're usually drunk and high on sherm sticks. whoever makes it back out with the mosts tolen poo poo is the winner

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Shithouse Dave posted:

I'm still not putting olive oil on my sandwiches.

you should it's good, especially when it is part of giardiniera or a tapenade

psyopmonkey posted:

I put olive oil in my Guacamole.

Hey OP, you should make Guacamole.

you do not need to add additional fat to avocados, jesus christ

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Ferid posted:

you should it's good, especially when it is part of giardiniera or a tapenade

But, but, fitday said....

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Ferid posted:

Fat is flavor. Its better than adding gross rear end Sour Cream to guacamole like some kinda weirdo.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

psyopmonkey posted:

Fat is flavor. Its better than adding gross rear end Sour Cream to guacamole like some kinda weirdo.

Holy poo poo are you loving up guacamole. Nobody adds sour cream to that. What the gently caress is wrong with you.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
How the heck do you guys make guac then?!

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

psyopmonkey posted:

How the heck do you guys make guac then?!

Like somebody who isn't white as loving hell.

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
BUTTER

MILK

EGGS

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
this psymonkey guy is loving up across the board

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aomyzSkn7QM

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
avocados
salt
peppers
lime juice
garlic
cilanto
tomato

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

Ferid posted:

avocados
salt
peppers
lime juice
garlic
cilanto
tomato

FUCKUING YUM

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
Shopping for food is so girly, as an alpha male I simply reproduce with thousands of women a year then feed directly off the life force of my endless spawn.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Hobohemian posted:

A while back I think you went off on me about olive oil - what the gently caress is it with you and olive oil? Do you work for olive oil or something?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Myron Baloney posted:

A while back I think you went off on me about olive oil - what the gently caress is it with you and olive oil? Do you work for olive oil or something?

gently caress, outed. Now I have to change my name again. I'll never make it to head presser at California Olive Ranch(only 12.99 a bottle) at this rate.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 26, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Ming-One-Pot-Meals-Affordable/dp/1906868360

this dude makes loving awesome recipes for lazy people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008