Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Maars Town Diner

"If you were a psychiatrist, I would call you a doctor. However if you were a psychiatrist, I doubt you would be here." The HR rep then looks to Jack. "The company has reviewed Ms. Tipplepot resume and has found that she would be a valuable asset for this position. Mind you, I am not the one who decided to hire you for this job. That decision was made at the corporate office."

The paperwork is fairly standard, but very lengthy. It seems that Basorus sought to cover all sorts of possibilities with the forms. The forms contain a lot of legalese making the reading of the forms a difficult chore. To make matters worse several pages have small type making it difficult to read some details. Overall no one finds anything objectionable in the paperwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

"Ahh, a psychologist then." he says, with a tone of pleasant surprise. "Well, with any luck, as we said, you may not even have the chance to use a gun. We can only hope."

He reads over the paperwork and finds nothing immediately worrying in the writing jumping out at him. "May as well sign our lives away," he says, clearly joking. The Englishman signs before the most of the others seem to and slides the paperwork back to Mara.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Aaron

He spends quite a bit of time studying the papers, but it's clear that Aaron is also listening to everyone else. After a moment his face is marked by a grin. "So," he begins:

"A psychologist, a couple of veterans, and a PI, walk into a diner..." Chuckling at his own joke, he signs.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Makes me almost wish I had, those skills would have come in rather usefully right about-" She signs the last document, "Now." A pleasant smile on her face as she turned the signed forms over. Not able to find what she was looking for, but that was life. She couldn't hold them up because her legalese wasn't one hundred percent. Finally signing over her life seemed like a silent echo across her mind, a hollowness for a brief moment. It didn't make much sense to her, but she ignored it and focused on underhanded aggression with Mara.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Cheryl

Cheryl tenses up just a little when Marion's profession comes to light, but she catches herself quickly. Just relax, you've handled her type before. She can't possibly see more than the FBI, and you've duped them plenty of times. She tries to distract herself from thinking about if those thoughts were hers by sliding her finished paperwork across the table and forcing a small laugh at Aaron's joke.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
Steve

Steve finishes filling out the forums and passes them back. "I think you own my soul now," he lets out a light chuckle.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

Mara begins to collect the signed documents. She responds to Steve.

"Yes." She says this in a quiet, serious tone making one wonder if she has a weird sense of humor or if she actually believes that the contracts have some binding control of the souls who signed their names.

"Are there any questions on the forms?"

Want to make sure everyone signs the forms, before moving on.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

With his forms signed and handed back, he settles back into his seat with his drink.

During another sip, he looks over his tea cup at Mara when she replies to Steve's joke. A dry wit. A trait he's not at all surprised to find in a company representative.

"None from me."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Kurt Williamson/Simon Marino

Kurt handed over the paperwork. While he had some questions about the security clearance requirement, he didn't expect an answer and he didn't want to be seen as an employee who asks too many questions anyway. He responded to Mara's question with, "Nothing here."

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Steve

He raises a brow at her response and to her next question, shakes his head.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Looking around at the others she then looks at Mara with a competitive glare hidden by false pleasantry. "Nothing from me. Ready to get the tour and the t-shirt." Marion says, resisting the urge to tap her finger on the table.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

Południca collects up the documents from everyone. She then puts the completed forms into her brief case.

"Now that's over with, I can discuss details of the job. You are working the night shift security at our warehouse facility outside of town. Your shift will be seven p.m. to five a.m. Your schedule will be four days working, one day on stand by, and two days off. When you are on stand by, you need to be ready to come in for work if needed. Of course if you work more then forty hours in a week, you will get time and a half.

A tour of the facility will occur tomorrow, when you report into work. You will be issued button down shirts as part of your uniform. Otherwise wear black or navy blue pants. As far as firearms go, you are allowed to use your own hand gun or you will have one issued to you by your supervisor. Ms. Tipplepot is exempt from carrying a fire arm. You will also be assigned other equipment for your job as needed.

Just to be clear, the Basorus corporation has a strict policy regarding fire arms. No illegal fire arms are to be used. Long arms are not allowed except under special circumstances. The misuse of firearms will result in an immediate disqualification of being armed.

Do you all understand so far?"

At this point, I assume everyone has signed the documents she passed out. If anyone has questions now would be the time to ask them.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Thank you, that is all crystal clear. I am glad your policy is so strict personally." Marion says with a very big smile, that made her feel much more secure in being surrounded by weapons. This was all crazy, this was a massive risk, but now that she was inside, she might be able to find out about her missing friend. David had had a hard time of things the last few years with no help from her. Marion starts getting up and sorting her things, looking at the others.

"I am ready to go personally."

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Jack Plissken

Papers signed, Jack looks to the lady as he hands them back. "No questions about the work here ma'am. Just wondering where we'll be staying."

Ready to move on when everyone else is

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Simon plainly states, "Yup, I gotcha."

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 8, 2014

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Cheryl

Cheryl sits bolt upright in her chair, doing her best not to look at or think about her food. "Understood, Ma'am."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

He listens intently to the details, which all seem fairly straightforward. At least they have a day of the week on stand by, and by the sounds of it there's a weekend team to cover their days off too. At the mention of being allowed to carry their own firearms to work, he looks around at the others, wondering just which of them might be the type to have a gun in their possession. He can guess at a few with some sense of certainty. Naturally, he's always been wary of civilians who feel the need to have something as dangerous as a gun on their person. At least Marion is confirmed not to be the type.

"Sounds just fine to me, madam."

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Steve

"So far so good," Steve said. It seemed pretty straight forward to him so far.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Andre finishes signing the paperwork and hands it back, "No questions from me." He says.

Back from a long weekend.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Aaron

"Sunset to sunrise, ma'am. Understood." Four days and a day on standby - quite a bit in the hours department. Aaron would have to become a bit of a night owl in short order. In the meantime, that was what coffee was for. "No personal weapons unless they are legal, nothing bigger than a pistol. Business casual for dress code." He stops mid-summary. "For now, still no questions. I'm sure I'll have a bundle once we actually see the place, though. Some old saying about details and devils, you know."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

"Yes, the next thing on my agenda are the apartments you will be living in. They are furnished currently. If you wish to make any changes to the apartment or the furniture, then you have to get permission from the Basorus office here in town. Its just down the street. The building is relatively new, so it should be easy to spot. Also you are liable for any damage done to the apartments."

She reaches into her briefcase and hands everyone a set of keys.

"Here are the keys to your new apartments. The apartments are across the street in the Silent Pines Apartments. Parking spots for the apartments are in a carport and correspond with the number of the apartment. Take the night to move in and adjust to the town. Tomorrow I expect everyone to be at the job at seven tomorrow night. And if there is nothing else, I'll be going."

She waits to see if there are any questions before she leaves.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Steve

Steve takes the keys and then mentions, "I'm not from around here, do you have a map of town and directions to the warehouse?" He half expected some kind of welcome packet with this information, but not seeing anything yet and the only company rep he's met so far about to leave, he thought it wise to ask.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

She nods and picks up the keys to Mara with a bit of a fake smile, "Oh a map would be perfect, do you know if there is a local community center, or perhaps an events website or something. If we are staying here might as well see what there is to do." Marion said looked at the keys and looking across the street to her new green VW. Looking back at Mara, she gives a hesitant question, "Do you know a few good local sites to go?"

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Jack Plissken

Jack grabs a set of keys, adding them to his somewhat barren keyring. Wonderful. Jack wonders if the apartments are just miserable little boxes to live in, or something decent.

"I assume we're done here, ma'am? Seven PM sharp tomorrow, I'll see the rest of you then."

And with that, Jack heads out to his car(leaving $2 of change for the coffee), and drives straight to the liquor store he passed on the way into town, picking up a fifth of Bulleit before heading to his apartment. It only takes a short while to unpack his meagre possessions.

Gonna give the apartment a quick once over, unpack, and then have a few drinks. Marked off $25 on my sheet and added a bottle of booze

Edit: forgot to pay for the coffee, fixed that.

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 8, 2014

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

With the keys handed out, he adds them to his car keys, hoping he doesn't lose them as seems to be becoming a bad habit for him. "Let's hope I don't drop these with my wife not around to find them for me." He chuckles and chugs down the rest of his tea. "'Silent Pines'," he repeats. "And our own private car spaces to boot. I must say, these are incredible benefits. You're spoiling us, miss Południca. Aside from working these nights, I might imagine this as a vacation of sorts. Don't tell her I said that though." Another chuckle, louder this time, as he waves off Jack when the man leaves.

"The warehouse is just outside of town, as you said? I imagine I can find it easily enough." Knowing this small town, it can't be too hard at all to find the warehouse, especially if he needs to ask a local. It must be in a direction opposite to where he entered town, having not seen it during his drive in. "Nothing further from me. A pleasure to meet you, miss Południca."

Rising from his seat, he moves to leave after placing down money for the teas. He catches himself though and turns back before placing the tip down as well. "Always forgetting you need to do that over here. Now, to unpack. Thank heavens I only bought a small amount with me." Hopefully it will leave more time for a needed rest.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Simon took the keys, but did not ask any questions about Maars. He had actually done research on Maars before he left DC and had at least a vague idea of where most things were. Instead, he joylessly wolfed down his greasy diner food, left enough cash to cover it and a tip, and walked out to his car. He decided to give his handler, Jack, a phone call on the way to his apartment. He got into his car, fished around for his second cell phone in the glove box, and drove off.

Drivin' to the apartment and callin' my patron!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"You know, since everyone is going to move in and we have the night off really, we should all have a BBQ with everyone at the apartments. Mara, of course, you should be invited too. I don't know if that is against policy, but I understand if it is." Marion says looking at the remaining hanger ons, as Jack appears to be walking out of the door. "How does that sound to everyone?"

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Cheryl

Cheryl glances down at her plate, still unfinished. "Yeah, sure... You mean right now?"

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Steve

Steve smiled, "That sounds like fun! Not a whole lot else going on, is there!" He pauses, "I should confess I'm not much of a cook though, so I hope one of you knows more about BBQing." He laughs.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Well, We should do it after everyone settles in a bit, and don't worry, I'm a pretty good cook. I'll throw some chicken and steak on the grill and we can bring whatever you want to drink. I know I have some nice wine at least to relax. I will have some grilled veggie kabobs for us leaf eaters. So everyone will have something!" Marion's smile is much more genuine now, "I only have a few things to move in really, so I might be able to get it started while everyone is putting stuff away."

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Steve

"That sounds wonderful! Wine or bourbon would be just great about now. It's been a long drive! I don't have too much to move in either, I can stop by the liquor store and get a selection of drinks on my way to the apartments." He leans back in his seat, it would be nice to meet everyone in not such a formal environment.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Aaron

"No questions." He waits for the keys, then smiles.

Looking to Marion and Steve, Aaron nods. "Well, you know, if we're all going to be in the same place and everything, that seems like a great idea. Might as well. And like I always say - more cheers, more beers. Maybe I should stop for some before we all meet up again, yeah?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

About to exit the diner, he stops as Marion offers an invite. "Yes, that sounds great." A little team bonding certainly isn't a bad thing after all. "No reason not to. After we settle in a bit then? We shall probably have to make a drinks run. Anyway, I shall see you all in a while."

Exiting the diner, he steps over to his car. Truthfully, he had been a bit apprehensive about meeting his other coworkers, wondering about just the sort that would apply for nighttime security work. But he has to admit that they all seem like a fairly nice bunch so far. Slipping inside his car, he starts it up and moves out to the other side of the street, eager to get a look at his new apartment.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

"Then that sounds like a plan! I'll set up the BBQ and stop by the store for meats. Everyone can take there time, it most likely won't be ready for a few hours at least." Marion got up and smiled at Mara, "Of course you are welcome as well, feel free to drop by!" Now Marion walked excitedly out of the door, almost skipping on her heels. She liked these events and to be honest it made her feel better to have something so normal.

Her heels clicked across the street and she got into her car in front of the nondescript business. She drove looking for the grocery store and stopping to buy a few steaks, she didn't have much need for them herself, but she knew how to cook. In her head her mind raced, "This was going to be great, and maybe they could make it a weekly thing, and then after that we can maybe start a bookclub or something. Hiking, and the like would be nice too. That will really take the edge off searching for David." A last sigh as she drove toward the apartments, her car now filled with fresh food.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Maars Town Diner

"Maps? Oh, yes I have something like that in my brief case." She pulls out maps of the area for everyone. "Those maps should help you get around. The warehouse is marked on the maps for your convenience."

She listens and then responds to Marion.

"There is not much to do in town. No community center or anything like that. I guess this town is too small to support anything of that sort."

Południca then begins to leave. When she reaches the door, she answers Marion.

"Fraternization between employees isn't against the rules."

She then leaves.

O.K. I know some of you want to leave the restaurant and rush off to get away from each other, but I'd like everyone to have a chance to go to Marion's impromptu cook out. That's if people want to go to it. Its up to you all. Before she has her little shindig, people will have a chance to engage in other activities before the party gets going (like calling handlers and such).

Here's a link to some maps:
http://tradwiki.foxxtrot.net/index.php/DGD_Maars

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Andre

Before Marion leaves, Andre glances at Cheryl and the others who ordered food, "Think some of us just ate, but I could unwind for a little bit. Not trying to show up for the first day of work hungover, though..."

Had a longer thing that I thought I posted last night, turns out I only hit preview, whoops.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Marion

Turning back before she leaves, she says, "Oh I meant for it in a few hours at least. Since most people need to move in a bit. I don't think anyone wants to eat right away anyway. I am going to just get some food if anyone is going to be. Also we have to start getting on the night shift. Better start tonight." She smiled with a warm glow, before looking around one last time before walking out.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Cheryl

With Miss Południca gone, Cheryl finally relaxes and sets about finishing her meal. A little bit colder now, but still good. Unless someone stays to watch her eat, she is likely to last person to leave as she pays her bill and heads across the street to see her apartment, dragging her suitcase behind her.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
Steve

He puts out the cig he was working on and heads out the door, giving a quick nod and smile to anyone remaining as he leaves. Getting back to his car he does a few things. He uses his camcorder to do a quick survey of the lot (not that he needed it with his memory, but more for documentation sake) and then reviewed the map briefly.

He then found the place most likely to sell some liquor and wine and headed there to pick out some choice bottles for the party later.

As he drove around the small town, he kept an eye out for any details that seemed interesting.

Observation [2]: 12, to look around town as I drive for anything interesting. Just going to explore around a bit.

Then I'm off to the liquor store to grab a variety of wines, beers and some bourbon to bring to the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jacob

With only a short drive across the street needed to get from the diner to the apartments, he's soon pulling up into his own parking space outside his new residence for the near future. His suitcase is retrieved from out the back of the car and he hopes he packed all the necessary items he'll need for this stay. Even with knowing for a while that he'd be coming here, he admits that he left the business of packing to the last minute. Still, he reckons anything he missed can be easily found around town.

Stepping over to the door, he turns the key given by Mara in the lock and enters his apartment. Setting his suitcase down on the bed, he looks around the place, small as it may be, before he unpacks. A number of small picture frames are placed in various places, each one showing the image of a smiling, happy family.
After placing his small collection of spare clothes away and making sure his work clothes for tomorrow night don't get creased, he takes out his phone. Scrolling to the contact marked 'Sarah', he calls to check in. He was asked to phone as soon as he arrived after all and he knows there'll be hell to pay if he keeps them waiting for his call any longer.

Jacob will be on the phone to his wife, checking in with the family.

• Locked thread