Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW
I was about two years ago an Atheist, but suddenly understood the deep truths in de entire Bible, which is the Word of God. I want to explain my reasons for conversion, from going from atheist to theist.

1. The Holocaust. When I saw Chindlers List that movie it made a deep impact on my mind. I kind of strayed from life for years. After that, I became an atheist, always thinking of that movie, which for me was absolute proof of the non-existence of god and the total falsehood of Christian theology. But now I understand God was at the end of his power, and did what he could as much as he can, but in the end of WW2 too much suffering was caused and many people lost their faith. I now understand God tried but maybe failed, but I still belief in him, because he at least tried at his absolute maximum.

2. Warfare and excessive suffering. The world if not perfect, but made in fullness, as some protestants say. Warfare: Most of it is all done by human hands but steered by the plan of God, to move and twist and turn entire nations, to finalize thing as best as possible. God does as much good as he can, but cannot do any more. And so, I now understand God, and can belief in Him.

3. Pains from my youth. I had a difficult childhood, and repressed childhood memories and anger and hate in my heart kept me from finding true faith in God of the Bible. I have solved these troubling issues now mostly, and so now I can finally belief.

4. The Bible & Christianity. Christianity is not a stupid religion for the blind that follow the blind, but a gift from God to humanity. It's beautifull, deep, and truthfull. Everything makes sense, if you look at it from a different way.

5. Atheism, is, in my humble opion--and I mean it--a disease of the soul, called godlessness. If you take away the dark veils of atheism surrounding the soul, the soul will find faith again, because the created, the soul, deep inside wants to know and belief in its Creator.

May the Holy Spirit give you peace.

Who disagrees with my reasons?

HumbleBeforeYou fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Church
Jul 1, 2005

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

I was about two years ago an Atheist, but suddenly understood the deep truths in de entire Bible, which is the Word of God. I want to explain my reasons for conversion, from going from atheist to theist.

1. The Holocaust. When I saw Chindlers List that movie it made a deep impact on my mind. I kind of strayed from life for years. After that, I became an atheist, Always thinking of that movie, which for me was absolute proof of the non-existence of god and the total falsehood of Christian theology. But now I understand God was at the end of his power, and did what he could as much as he can, but in the end of WW2 too much suffering was caused and many people lost their faith. I now understand God tried but maybe failed, but I still belief in him, because he at least tried at his absolute maximum.

2. Warfare and excessive suffering. The world if not perfect, but made in fullness, as some protestants say. Warfare: Most of it is all done by human hands but steered by the plan of God, to move and twist and turn entire nations, to finalize thing as best as possible. God does as much good as he can, but cannot do any more. And so, I now understand God, and can belief in Him.

3. Pains from my youth. I had a difficult childhood, and repressed childhood memories and anger and hate in my heart kept me from finding true faith in God of the Bible. I have solved these troubling issues now mostly, and so now I can finally belief.

4. The Bible & Christianity. Christianity is not a stupid religion for the blind that follow the blind, but a gift from God to humanity. It's beautifull, deep, and truthfull. Everything makes sense, if you look at it from a different way.

5. Atheist, is, in my humble opion--and I mean it--a disease of the soul, called godlessness. If you take away the dark veils of atheism surrounding the soul, the soul will find faith again, because the created, the soul, deep inside wants to know and belief in its Creator.

**Grabs popcorn** Oh man this is going to be awesome.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Your God is a dick.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i converted to christianity because i heard jesus has really dank weed

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

1. The Holocaust. When I saw Chindlers List that movie it made a deep impact on my mind. I kind of strayed from life for years. After that, I became an atheist, Always thinking of that movie, which for me was absolute proof of the non-existence of god and the total falsehood of Christian theology. But now I understand God was at the end of his power, and did what he could as much as he can, but in the end of WW2 too much suffering was caused and many people lost their faith. I now understand God tried but maybe failed, but I still belief in him, because he at least tried at his absolute maximum.

5. Atheist, is, in my humble opion--and I mean it--a disease of the soul, called godlessness. If you take away the dark veils of atheism surrounding the soul, the soul will find faith again, because the created, the soul, deep inside wants to know and belief in its Creator.

Source your quotes, dude. Or at least bother to proofread.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
So did you intend to use the poo poo POST tag? Because if not it was divine providence as that is how this thread will end up.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Deuce posted:

Your God is a dick.

May I ask what your belief is: atheism or theism, or something else like agnosticism or pantheism, etc.?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah, sounds about right.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

SubponticatePoster posted:

So did you intend to use the poo poo POST tag? Because if not it was divine providence as that is how this thread will end up.

The future is uncertain sometimes: don't be so sure then about that :)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

The future is uncertain sometimes: don't be so sure then about that :)
I don't generally pull the "I've been posting here longer than you buddy" thing, but I've got 10 years on you to know from experience that even if you aren't trolling the quality of your first post will only lead to poo poo. Sorry lil' guy :(

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

When things inevitably go badly for you, are you planning on cribbing your responses in secret from a Christian forum somewhere like the last guy who tried this sort of thing?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
When did D&D become E/N

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Captain_Maclaine posted:

When things inevitably go badly for you, are you planning on cribbing your responses in secret from a Christian forum somewhere like the last guy who tried this sort of thing?

No, in honesty I am not pulling this from somewhere: I now and then go to the Reformed Protestant Church in the Netherlands and listen to the preacher, who spoke about fullness of creation instead of perfection.

All thought are mine, and from the Bible of course; I say this before Christendom.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Woah there, the guy with the hard authoritarian retro-Catholic gimmick was hilarious and it's a shame he gave it up. This is more cobbling together bad arguments to piss off atheists, which is less hilarious and more sad.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

1. The Holocaust. When I saw Chindlers List that movie it made a deep impact on my mind. I kind of strayed from life for years. After that, I became an atheist, always thinking of that movie, which for me was absolute proof of the non-existence of god and the total falsehood of Christian theology. But now I understand God was at the end of his power, and did what he could as much as he can, but in the end of WW2 too much suffering was caused and many people lost their faith. I now understand God tried but maybe failed, but I still belief in him, because he at least tried at his absolute maximum.

Isn't God supposed to be omnipotent? How could he be at the end of his power? Did he run out of mana potions?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

how do you feel about islams

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Isn't God supposed to be omnipotent? How could he be at the end of his power? Did he run out of mana potions?

I can not use the emperical scientific method to proof this, so ultimately it is based on faith, not purely reason.

But no: I belief God the Creator of heaven and earth is not omnipotent, but extremely powerful, but found his match, for the first time in history, against the Nazis, his ultimate enemy, and is, in my opinon, the ultimate evil that ever crawled the earth.

HumbleBeforeYou fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 26, 2014

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Fandyien posted:

how do you feel about islams

Brothers of Christendom; the Angel that revealed to Muhammed the truths of the Koran also reveals to Christian chosen ones. There is a strong bond, but not many on both sides see this unfortunately. Terrorists are evil: other Islamists are good people.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Someday a worthy successor to Toblerone Triangular will be found.

Today is not that day.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Someday a worthy successor to Toblerone Triangular will be found.

Today is not that day.

Tell me about him please, if needed in short. I'm interested :)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
OP, are you Lee Strobel? You have about as much sanity.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

I can not use the emperical scientific method to proof this, so ultimately it is based on faith, not purely reason.

But no: I belief God the Creator of heaven and earth is not omnipotent, but extremely powerful, but found his match, for the first time in history, against the Nazis, his ultimate enemy, and is, in my opinon, the ultimate evil that ever crawled the earth.

Setting aside the fact that you're pulling things out of your rear end, how do you deal with the contradiction between your belief and what the bible says?

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

EightBit posted:

OP, are you Lee Strobel? You have about as much sanity.

How do you define sanity?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

He was our greatest prophet. He wasn't the poster we needed, he was the poster we deserved.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

op can you confirm or deny whether the church knows where i can score primo cheeba?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

Truly the gold standard of posters.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
D&D turned into GBS :monocle:

Church
Jul 1, 2005

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

So God is like Superman, Hitler is his Lex luthor and lack of faith is his Kryptonite?

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Setting aside the fact that you're pulling things out of your rear end, how do you deal with the contradiction between your belief and what the bible says?

Jeremiah 32:27 ESV / 60 helpful votes

“Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me?

My anwser: Yes, WW2 was. The Bible is 2 Thousand years old. The Catholic faith and the Bible are different in some ways.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

But no: I belief God the Creator of heaven and earth is not omnipotent, but extremely powerful, but found his match, for the first time in history, against the Nazis, his ultimate enemy, and, in my opion, the ultimate evil that ever crawled the earth.

Among others, Jesus says in Matthew 19:26, "with God all things are possible."

You must know better than Jesus how powerful God is.

Do you like tests?

El Kabong fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 26, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

I knew TobleroneTriangular. TobleroneTriangular trolled me and threatened my life. You sir, are no TobleroneTriangular.

He was an LF-era icon who showed how to do a long-con troll and do it well, by pretending to be an foaming-at-the-mouth insane Ron Paul supporter for months on end without breaking character or, more importantly, becoming boring.

Truly the gold standard of posters.

Ahem, the purestrain gold standard of posters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Church posted:

**Grabs popcorn** Oh man this is going to be awesome.

There has to be the right balance of stupidity and intelligence to lead to an entertainingly dumb thread. This one does not have that balance.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I knew TobleroneTriangular. TobleroneTriangular trolled me and threatened my life. You sir, are no TobleroneTriangular.

He was an LF-era icon who showed how to do a long-con troll and do it well, by pretending to be an foaming-at-the-mouth insane Ron Paul supporter for months on end without breaking character or, more importantly, becoming boring.

Ahem, the purestrain gold standard of posters.

Promise: I will not post for more then 2 or 3 days. I get tired easily honestly, stressed out quickly. This is not meant as trolling, but a true decleration and argumentation of my faith.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

This is not meant as trolling, but a true decleration and argumentation of my faith.

You're doing neither any favors, then.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Been a while since the last religion thread here; I think that one was BrandorKP?

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

:tipshat: Welcome to the forums.

quote:

Are you looking at it from a Problem of Evil / Free Will perspective and that's why God can only do a certain amount of good? Because I don't find those arguments convincing evidence of a deity, only hotly debated theories of a hypothetical God / gods that hinges on debates of what the meaning of omnipotence is, which utterly ignores the primary question at hand of whether or not a deity exists, much less your deity.

quote:

Sorry to hear that. Coming to terms with personal problems from youth is a difficult process that a lot of people never really find any semblance of closure on because human psychology is a complicated and nuanced process. Ultimately though your state of mind doesn't change the truth value of a proposition; it's entirely possible that the old you that held hate in your heart was in fact correct about the existence or nonexistence of God, and thus it's not relevant to the question.

quote:

If "a different way" is not testable, repeatable independent experiments about predictions and hypotheses that prove true then the factuality of your claims are not particularly convincing or well supported here. If it is testable, repeatable independent experiments about predictions and hypotheses that prove true, by all means please explain.

quote:

5. Atheism, is, in my humble opion--and I mean it--a disease of the soul, called godlessness. If you take away the dark veils of atheism surrounding the soul, the soul will find faith again, because the created, the soul, deep inside wants to know and belief in its Creator.

Again, this doesn't have anything to say about whether your belief is a valid and accurate and true representation of the world we inhabit or not.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You're doing neither any favors, then.

Faith is not always about favor: God comes through the wound sometimes, not everything has to be pleasurable in life.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I converted from atheism to unitarian. Am I still a heathen? :ohdear:

Qublai Qhan
Dec 23, 2008

In Xanadu did Qublai Qhan
a stately taco eat,
when ALF the spacerat,
ran through to talk--
Of cabbages and kings
And whether pigs have wings.

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

But now I understand God was at the end of his power, and did what he could as much as he can, but in the end of WW2 too much suffering was caused and many people lost their faith. I now understand God tried but maybe failed, but I still belief in him, because he at least tried at his absolute maximum.

So god is dead I guess? Just keep going and you'll be back to atheism in no time.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

Faith is not always about favor: God comes through the wound sometimes, not everything has to be pleasurable in life.

That's a good attitude to have, considering what you're in for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurassic Park is a much better movie than Schindler's List.

• Locked thread