Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

God comes through the wound sometimes

Gross, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Merrill Grinch posted:

I converted from atheism to unitarian. Am I still a heathen? :ohdear:

That is kind of funny: I read unitarian quickly on Wiki and realized I'm a unitarian on some points to. Defenitely not heathen, imo :)

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

Jeremiah 32:27 ESV / 60 helpful votes

“Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me?

My anwser: Yes, WW2 was. The Bible is 2 Thousand years old. The Catholic faith and the Bible are different in some ways.

If WW2 was too hard for your god, why does he deserve to be worshipped?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Electronico6 posted:

Jurassic Park is a much better movie than Schindler's List.

Schindler's list is better than Jurassic Park if you don't have sound, though.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Mo_Steel posted:

Been a while since the last religion thread here; I think that one was BrandorKP?

:tipshat: Welcome to the forums.

Are you looking at it from a Problem of Evil / Free Will perspective and that's why God can only do a certain amount of good? Because I don't find those arguments convincing evidence of a deity, only hotly debated theories of a hypothetical God / gods that hinges on debates of what the meaning of omnipotence is, which utterly ignores the primary question at hand of whether or not a deity exists, much less your deity.

Sorry to hear that. Coming to terms with personal problems from youth is a difficult process that a lot of people never really find any semblance of closure on because human psychology is a complicated and nuanced process. Ultimately though your state of mind doesn't change the truth value of a proposition; it's entirely possible that the old you that held hate in your heart was in fact correct about the existence or nonexistence of God, and thus it's not relevant to the question.

If "a different way" is not testable, repeatable independent experiments about predictions and hypotheses that prove true then the factuality of your claims are not particularly convincing or well supported here. If it is testable, repeatable independent experiments about predictions and hypotheses that prove true, by all means please explain.

Again, this doesn't have anything to say about whether your belief is a valid and accurate and true representation of the world we inhabit or not.

Hi Mo Steel. I respect your arguments, views and opinion. You sound like a very intelligent and rational man. I don't want to force my opinons on you and I need to sleep. This is my final post for today (at midnight now here) but tomorrow I will reply to your arguments.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Badera posted:

If WW2 was too hard for your god, why does he deserve to be worshipped?

Obviously we should be dedicating churches to Harry Truman and Winston Churchill.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Wait wait I got this:

1. God is real because even though the Holocaust happened, well, he's totally real

2. God is real because people kill each other but that's ok because its not God's fault

3. God is real because I used to be bad but I have completely fixed myself

4. God is real because believing him is a good thing

5. Atheism is bad, because God

Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Fandyien posted:

op can you confirm or deny whether the church knows where i can score primo cheeba?

Last post then: primo cheeba? Like excellent drugs? :) You can score them very easily here in Holland, and if you get busted with cocaïne or xtc, they'll just let you go. So, yeah, come to Holland then :D

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pope Guilty posted:

Obviously we should be dedicating churches to Harry Truman and Winston Churchill.
I think Stalin has a greater God factor than those two put together.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well he did have his own personality cult, unlike those two.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, but he was an atheist, soooooooooooo

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The problem with God is, how do we define God? It's ultimately just a word. But I can tell you that the popular conception of God cannot exist. God cannot be eternal, infinite, omniscient, and omnipresent. If God were eternal and infinite, then there can be nothing outside of God. But if that is so, God cannot be a conscious entity, because to be conscious means that you are conscious of things which are "other". I am conscious of the world, of sights and sounds and smells and textures, and these are separate from me. I can delineate between myself and the outside world. But an infinite and eternal God cannot do that: everything is encompassed within God.

Perhaps if you meant God as in the Spinoza concept of God, which is more pantheistic, then I suppose you can do that. But this isn't a God that answers prayers or has a personality. That isn't a God that can care about anything in the way that we can. God would just be another word for the universe, or reality, or existence. Which is okay, I guess. Maybe God is like the Dao? But if so, recognize that that is what you're doing: equating God with existence itself. You can't also claim that God has opinions about stuff, or loves us all, or anything like that.

The idea of God being a personality that is infinite, eternal, omniscient, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent, simply isn't coherent.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I was going to make a joke about Jesus' sexy, sexy abs, but actually, now I'm curious.

If the Nazis were too powerful for God to defeat, and we defeated the Nazis, then that means we're more powerful than God?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I was going to make a joke about Jesus' sexy, sexy abs, but actually, now I'm curious.

If the Nazis were too powerful for God to defeat, and we defeated the Nazis, then that means we're more powerful than God?

God ain't poo poo compared to the proletarian might of the Red Workers' and Peasants' Army, don'cha know?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/zLT04kb.jpg[/url][/timg]

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, but he was an atheist, soooooooooooo
Powerful AND humble.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Pope Guilty posted:

Woah there, the guy with the hard authoritarian retro-Catholic gimmick was hilarious and it's a shame he gave it up. This is more cobbling together bad arguments to piss off atheists, which is less hilarious and more sad.

He was a gimmick? Now I'm sad.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

5. Atheism, is, in my humble opion--and I mean it--a disease of the soul, called godlessness. If you take away the dark veils of atheism surrounding the soul, the soul will find faith again, because the created, the soul, deep inside wants to know and belief in its Creator.

May the Holy Spirit give you peace.

deep inside pedophiles want to gently caress kids but I don't think loving kids is a good idea and this is about the level of response this deserves.

I mean this isn't reddit I can't see how anyone is going to bite and try proper responses.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tABnznhzdIY

I'm a Deist, personally. The creator of the universe is all-powerful and alien in a sort of Lovecraftian sense. Humans can learn to live and work together and become a more significant part of the universe, or we can go extinct; it really doesn't make a difference to God.

Sorry that social pressures have convinced you to worship a book, OP.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 26, 2014

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Praise YISUN!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I converted to scientology because I watched a movie with tom crews in it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

Praise YISUN!

Serioustalk, Kill Six Billion Demons rules.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
Why does he need so many foreskins?

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Al Harrington posted:

Why does he need so many foreskins?

If you had that many, you'd show em off too.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.
mods embed please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq_8OJf2FYg

edit:

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...=33&authorName=

Badera fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 27, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wait, the power of Nazis is equal to the power of God?

Have you talked to your pastor about this?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What exactly is uncompelling about a divine genesis of being???

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

I now and then go to the Reformed Protestant Church in the Netherlands

As in you actually live in the Netherlands, or are you just a different branch of Dutch Reformed?

EDIT: Okay, never mind, apparently you answered that during one of your attempts at making this thread anything other than the apologetics equivalent of the Titanic barreling full steam ahead towards the Antarctic ice shelf.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 27, 2014

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

Last post then: primo cheeba? Like excellent drugs? :) You can score them very easily here in Holland, and if you get busted with cocaïne or xtc, they'll just let you go. So, yeah, come to Holland then :D

This guy seems cool I think we should listen to what he has to say.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Pope Guilty posted:

Serioustalk, Kill Six Billion Demons rules.

My people aren't demons... well those that rule Israel are but the rest of us aren't.

Oh, and OP... man is a reflection of god

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 27, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Thanks for starting a religion thread OP it's cool to have another (presumably) Calvinist poster.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

Pope Guilty posted:

The Reformed Orthodox Church of Marshal Tito.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
When you think about it the USSR is basically the Catholic Church. Inquisitions, dead head honchos on display under glass, responsible for scores of deaths, funny hats, the list goes on and on.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

When you think about it the USSR is basically the Catholic Church. Inquisitions, dead head honchos on display under glass, responsible for scores of deaths, funny hats, the list goes on and on.

Don't forget the coming to accept evolution only long after the damage had been done!

Sabaka
Aug 12, 2005
I'm going to convert myself to be gay

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
I've been reading books by this English dude named George Borrow. He wrote travel journals in the mid-19th century. His big blockbuster was The Bible In Spain, which told of his experiences trying to sell Bibles printed by the British Bible Society (founded by William Wilberforce I think) in urban and rural Spain. He was a serious philologist/linguaphile, and he spoke multiple European languages (English, Irish, Welsh, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, various Roma dialects, also some Arabic and Turkish) and had a serious affection for "low-life" people. He spent a lot of time with Estremaduran Roma ("Gypsy" in his terms) people, and they really liked him because he treated them like people. He wasn't what you'd call a great writer, but his powers of description were petty good and his affinity for weirdness was amazing.

He also wrote a cool book about Wales (Wild Wales; look for it on Project Gutenburg), based on a long vacation he took in the 1850s during which he basically walked around the whole place. He was a virulent anti-Catholic, and a devoted supporter of the English church, and his many recounted conversations with random people almost always included him asking what Church they followed. (The cool thing about his books is that you can follow his descriptions of walking hither and yon on Google maps, and many of the things he described 150 years ago are still exactly the same.)

Anyway, that's my story.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

Jurassic Park is a much better movie than Schindler's List.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You voted this thread a '1' lame troll attempt, GO HOG WILD.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I was once a filthy panthiest, but then I watched some episodes of Daniel Tiger on Netflix, and now I understand that Christian theology is deep and beautiful, like a loving pond of truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I can respect what OP is doing and honestly as long as no one else is getting actively oppressed I really don't see what the big deal if any is. I hope OP finds peace through their own path and acceptance towards others which leads to happiness :3:

• Locked thread