Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please, can you clarify what it is about WW2 that you believe broke God? You cite it specifically being the Nazis; what about them? There is a good Nazi (good being relative to the subject matter) thread in Ask/Tell that can dispel common assumptions about them, in order to closer approximate God's understanding of his ultimate foes.

Electronico6 posted:

Jurassic Park is a much better movie than Schindler's List.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

When you think about it the USSR is basically the Catholic Church. Inquisitions, dead head honchos on display under glass, responsible for scores of deaths, funny hats, the list goes on and on.

Yea but the Catholic church can't build tanks for poo poo.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Vorpal Cat posted:

Yea but the Catholic church can't build tanks for poo poo.

"How many divisions has the Pope?"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Widestancer posted:

I can respect what OP is doing and honestly as long as no one else is getting actively oppressed I really don't see what the big deal if any is. I hope OP finds peace through their own path and acceptance towards others which leads to happiness :3:

It was nice up until the whole "Atheism, is, in my humble opion--and I mean it--a disease of the soul, called godlessness" thing. That's kind of mean IMO.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

It was nice up until the whole "Atheism, is, in my humble opion--and I mean it--a disease of the soul, called godlessness" thing. That's kind of mean IMO.

Yeah that was kinda unchill but atheists say some pretty mean stuff about Christians too so I just let it slide like water off a duck's back; thicker skin makes everyone happier :3:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone just do your best and be the least amount of dickish you can be, you can worry about Schrödinger's Deity later on. Your bases will be covered either way.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Everyone just do your best and be the least amount of dickish you can be, you can worry about Schrödinger's Deity later on. Your bases will be covered either way.

Unless Jack Chick turns out to be right, in which case you're going to Slayer album cover Hell.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The existence or nonexistence of God is a completely separate question from the existence of an indestructible self (the soul) and life after death.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Pope Guilty posted:

Unless Jack Chick turns out to be right, in which case you're going to Slayer album cover Hell.
How is that a bad thing?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
When Zarathustra was alone, however, he said to his heart: "Could it be possible! This old saint in the forest hath not yet heard of it, that God is dead!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Negative Entropy posted:

How is that a bad thing?

Jack Chick will be there.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

Pope Guilty posted:

*GASP!*

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

McDowell posted:

The existence or nonexistence of God is a completely separate question from the existence of an indestructible self (the soul) and life after death.
Isn't reincarnation inevitable?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
We are all manifestations of the essential infinite Oneness that binds all of reality into a multidimensional web of interrelation and being-ness. The thing you have to understand is that all relationships reflect one another in this multidimensionality of intercasuality which encompasses not only space but also time, creating what is essentially reality as we can perceive it. Of course, our perceptions are limited and we can only grasp the most immediate of these intercausal dimensionalitional relationships, therefor we need science to help delineate that which is mere hypothesis and that which is empirical truth. Okay, so what is God? God is the sum totality of all dimensionality, but it is also an emergent potentiality of the Oneness, which I alluded to before, and which is the focal point of this potentiality that humans have anthropomorphisized. Throughout the ages we have concocted numerous metaphorical allegorical "myth-memes" to articulate the Prime God Oneness Ultra-Dimensional SuperInfiniticausal Relationocity, but because of our limited perceptions and mortal lifespans we can only point to the ineffabilities.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Blue Star posted:

We are all manifestations of the essential infinite Oneness that binds all of reality into a multidimensional web of interrelation and being-ness. The thing you have to understand is that all relationships reflect one another in this multidimensionality of intercasuality which encompasses not only space but also time, creating what is essentially reality as we can perceive it. Of course, our perceptions are limited and we can only grasp the most immediate of these intercausal dimensionalitional relationships, therefor we need science to help delineate that which is mere hypothesis and that which is empirical truth. Okay, so what is God? God is the sum totality of all dimensionality, but it is also an emergent potentiality of the Oneness, which I alluded to before, and which is the focal point of this potentiality that humans have anthropomorphisized. Throughout the ages we have concocted numerous metaphorical allegorical "myth-memes" to articulate the Prime God Oneness Ultra-Dimensional SuperInfiniticausal Relationocity, but because of our limited perceptions and mortal lifespans we can only point to the ineffabilities.
I disagree.
*bubbles pipe"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh. Well then I don't know what to tell you besides that metal is pretty cool.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Star posted:

Lots of words

I think you post in TVIV's Adventure Time thread.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
this is a cool thread, what a conversion

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014
I thought religion was really stupid until I became a Catholic. Now it all makes complete sense. It's not really something you can argue about though because atheists have serious mental illness and are usually really angry about God. It's sort of like being a libertarian, atheism sort of makes sense to you at the time but after you get better you realize you were being an idiot. Anyway I don't claim to know a lot about it.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
OP, why did you convert to Christianity? Were you in jail? Are you born again? I need details and fast!

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

But if he's right, then he'll be in heaven, because only the correct denomination of christianity gets to go to heaven, all the others go to hell. Technically they even go to a worse hell than atheists because they break more commandments ("no other god before me" and maybe a bit of the "golden idols" one). Still, biblical literalists have the worst heaven as well, according to the book of revelations. For a nihilist like me, my heaven and hell are exactly the same - it's the Slayer album cover one. So my soul might be even more diseased than an atheist's, but I get the best afterlife.

Except that the afterlife doesn't exist (unless you count a void of the "blackest black, times infinity" as an afterlife).

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
I think the Indiana Jones series has shown that God is in fact more powerful than the Nazis as long as the Nazis stupidly fall into one of God's Holy Booby Traps.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

IronClaymore posted:

But if he's right, then he'll be in heaven, because only the correct denomination of christianity gets to go to heaven, all the others go to hell. Technically they even go to a worse hell than atheists because they break more commandments ("no other god before me" and maybe a bit of the "golden idols" one). Still, biblical literalists have the worst heaven as well, according to the book of revelations. For a nihilist like me, my heaven and hell are exactly the same - it's the Slayer album cover one. So my soul might be even more diseased than an atheist's, but I get the best afterlife.

Except that the afterlife doesn't exist (unless you count a void of the "blackest black, times infinity" as an afterlife).

Yeah, see, this is almost identical to a Ron Paul supporter post in structure.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

Who disagrees with my reasons?

I do. I've been needing to sharpen my logical arguments against religion in general. Might as well start here.

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

I was about two years ago an Atheist, but suddenly understood the deep truths in de entire Bible, which is the Word of God. I want to explain my reasons for conversion, from going from atheist to theist.

So give us the reason you converted. Seriously, this list is not a 'reason I converted' checklist, it's a list of things that may or may not relate to christianity.

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

1. The Holocaust. When I saw Chindlers List that movie it made a deep impact on my mind. I kind of strayed from life for years. After that, I became an atheist, always thinking of that movie, which for me was absolute proof of the non-existence of god and the total falsehood of Christian theology. But now I understand God was at the end of his power, and did what he could as much as he can, but in the end of WW2 too much suffering was caused and many people lost their faith. I now understand God tried but maybe failed, but I still belief in him, because he at least tried at his absolute maximum.

So uhh...'God is Dead'? Wait wait, the bible says, that god is perfect. He cannot fail. He is supposedly able to do anything. Omnipotent, Omniscient, and basically the biggest loving mary sue imaginable. Unless we're talking about using Black and White rules, where worshippers = power = how powerful and often miracles can be performed. In which case you're kind of screwed because christianity is still a huge loving deal. Christians are all over the place. The religion is not going anywhere, so if god's power is derived solely from prayers and whatnot? He's loving fine, and would have been loving fine during WWII.

I prefer to use this thought process personally.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

― Epicurus

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

2. Warfare and excessive suffering. The world if not perfect, but made in fullness, as some protestants say. Warfare: Most of it is all done by human hands but steered by the plan of God, to move and twist and turn entire nations, to finalize thing as best as possible. God does as much good as he can, but cannot do any more. And so, I now understand God, and can belief in Him.

The general idea that 90% of christians adhere to is that the suffering is because man has free will and therefore man is the source of such suffering. The issue I take with that is that there are plenty of sources of suffering that is not strictly free will based, that nobody could make a choice for. A child is diagnosed with cancer, and dies. The reason for his cancer? gently caress if anybody knows. It was just something that happened. He didn't do anything, his parents didn't choose anything that might lead to him having cancer, therefore you can't use the excuse of 'free will' for why this child has to suffer and die.

I believe the other 10% adhere to the idea that god hates you and wants you to suffer, but if you worship him enough he might let you into heaven if he's feeling charitable when you die.

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

4. The Bible & Christianity. Christianity is not a stupid religion for the blind that follow the blind, but a gift from God to humanity. It's beautifull, deep, and truthfull. Everything makes sense, if you look at it from a different way.

This is not a 'reason for conversion', This is you saying what you think Christianity is, and not a relevant argument to the discussion.

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

5. Atheism, is, in my humble opion--and I mean it--a disease of the soul, called godlessness. If you take away the dark veils of atheism surrounding the soul, the soul will find faith again, because the created, the soul, deep inside wants to know and belief in its Creator.

Really? 'cause I see it the opposite way myself. Christianity is the source of many problems in the world today. Such as attempts to stifle and destroy culture and history with missionaries that refuse to feed people unless they convert. 'Christians' that tell themselves that it doesn't matter that a poor man is starving on the side of the road, this life doesn't matter so he'll be in heaven and therefore they don't have to do anything about it. My personal nightmare as well, the crazier nutjobs are actively trying to destroy the world because if the human race dies that sort of has to bring about the second coming, now doesn't it? Why should we bother fighting climate change? We're all just going to die and go to heaven anyway. We can't be wrong, the bible says we can't be.

Mind, I'm an Athiest/Agnostic. I'm willing to admit that it's possible. Just like all of us suddenly and irreversibly turning into a whale and a bowl of flowers on the rear end end of the universe. It's just not very *probable*. I find no reason to worship any such deity though. He, she, it, clearly doesn't give a loving poo poo about any of us, and religion was a crutch needed in humanities early times. In order to console themselves and tell them that they had some purpose to their lives beyond that they gave themselves. That said, you're probably a troll, or some stupid kid who bought an account to try and convert us heathens, and therefore nothing we say will matter. So I'll just watch the fireworks. :munch:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mayor Dave posted:

When Zarathustra was alone, however, he said to his heart: "Could it be possible! This old saint in the forest hath not yet heard of it, that God is dead!"

Get to the part where Zarathustra composes Ric Flair's theme music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHLwSe3pkFY

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

blowfish posted:

D&D turned into GBS :monocle:

Not yet. If it had every post would be an attempt at edgy and completely unfunny. D&D has a long way to slide before it hits bottom with GBS

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Is the 'ch' in Chindler pronounced like the 'ch'es in "church", or like the 'ch' in Chanukah?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

E-Tank posted:

I prefer to use this thought process personally.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

― Epicurus

I'm not sure how any of those follow if got is All-Powerful.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Mr. Fix It posted:

Is the 'ch' in Chindler pronounced like the 'ch'es in "church", or like the 'ch' in Chanukah?

Next time, on a very special episode of Friends:

Monica: So, Chandler... who's on your list?
Chandler: Uh, Kim Basinger, Cindy Crawford, Halle Berry, Yasmine Bleeth, and, ah, Jessica Rabbit.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Hitler - 1
God - 0

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kaislioc posted:

Hitler - 1
God - 0

Well Hitler did manage to kill Hitler, you have to give him that much.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Badera posted:

If WW2 was too hard for your god, why does he deserve to be worshipped?

Because, like human beings with a good heart and noble intentions, still deserves the deepest respect, even after a temporary failure.

But maybe I have mis-explained myself. I do not think G-d lost the Second World War; what I mean is that it came, in His and I think in all our eyes, at too great a cost to call it a victory. It was the first time in history the Creator suffered a Phyrric victory: He won the War, with the allies--especially America, England, and Russia--, but at too great a cost of human lives to call it a total victory.

WW2, that would have been won, but would not have had the Holocaust happen in it, would have been a great but painful victory for G-d.

G-d has had a strong bond and connection with the Jewish people in history, and the Holocaust made not only the Jewish people suffer beyond imagination, but also made suffer G-d Himself, who is the Living God. G-d feels pain; G-d can suffer too; G-d feels feelings, relating to humans and creation, in his divine consciousness.

Therefore, WW2 can not be called a true victory for G-d, but, because of his goodness, justness, and compassion, he is still very much a G-d that can be loved. Nothing in existence is perfect, not even G-d.

Also: G-d, the Creator of Heaven and earth, is: not omnipotent, but extremely powerful; not omniscient, but knows the past and present wholly and fully, but not the future, for he can only foresee and predict it. This is an other reason why G-d is still a being in which you can and may have faith.

HumbleBeforeYou fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 27, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Why didn't God just make Hitler a good painter? Then there wouldn't have been the Holocaust.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Piell posted:

Why didn't God just make Hitler a good painter? Then there wouldn't have been the Holocaust.

Very difficult question that I dare not to answer. I belief the ways of G-d are mysterious but especially impenetrable.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Were Nagasaki and Hiroshima some of God's better ideas, then? Atomic God sounds pretty cool - "Thou shalt not kill, I've got that covered".

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
so what changed between yesterday and today that you can't use the word god anymore?

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I was going to make a joke about Jesus' sexy, sexy abs, but actually, now I'm curious.

If the Nazis were too powerful for God to defeat, and we defeated the Nazis, then that means we're more powerful than God?

Who knows? Maybe G-d contributed, through the Holy Spirit, which is his spiritual right-arm so to say, more to the defeat of the Nazis then the Allied forces did. A question bascially that is unanwserable.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

SlipUp posted:

so what changed between yesterday and today that you can't use the word god anymore?

I forgot that if you read aloud the word God, the Holy Spirit comes to you. The word G-d should not be used in vain in my faith, but I belief I did not disrespect Him by doing so, but have used it too much though the other day.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

McDowell posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tABnznhzdIY

I'm a Deist, personally. The creator of the universe is all-powerful and alien in a sort of Lovecraftian sense. Humans can learn to live and work together and become a more significant part of the universe, or we can go extinct; it really doesn't make a difference to God.

Sorry that social pressures have convinced you to worship a book, OP.

My conversion from atheism went from this in some months: atheist > pantheist > deist > panentheist > theist > Christian. I simply have strong faith now in Christianity and the Holy Spirit, so I am not a deist anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

5. Atheism, is, in my humble opion--and I mean it--a disease of the soul, called godlessness. If you take away the dark veils of atheism surrounding the soul, the soul will find faith again, because the created, the soul, deep inside wants to know and belief in its Creator.

May the Holy Spirit give you peace.

Who disagrees with my reasons?

Until reason 5, you had me going. I realize this thread went to poo poo long before this, but speaking as someone who genuinely does not believe in God, go gently caress yourself. Are you really so narrow-minded that you think atheists have no moral code? That they need religion or an invisible authority figure in the sky who tells us it's not OK to kill people?

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 27, 2014

• Locked thread