Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Alter Ego posted:

I realize this thread went to poo poo long before this, but speaking as an atheist, go gently caress yourself. Are you really so narrow-minded that you think people who don't believe in God have no moral code? That we need religion or an invisible authority figure in the sky who tells us it's not OK to kill people?

I belief in the Liberal Democracy, which stems from philosophy not religion, and that is basically superior to religion in its moral code. Imo, the Liberal Democracy is more important than Christianity. I don't consider myself a religious, intolerant, theocratic Christian, luckily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

Also: G-d, the Creator of Heaven and earth, is: not omnipotent, but extremely powerful; not omniscient, but knows the past and present wholly and fully, but not the future, for he can only foresee and predict it. This is an other reason why G-d is still a being in which you can and may have faith.

I believe your problem is that you are confusing someone else with the God-Emperor of Mankind .

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I'm pretty sure you aren't a christian, I mean your beliefs are far enough away from any of the main stream denominations that many christians would consider you to be some flavor of heretic. But hey, whatever floats your boat dude.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

If you've found a way of life through which you feel happy, then that's awesome OP. But, just as a friendly tip: While you may disagree with atheism, it's still an entirely valid point of view and telling atheists that their opinions is a sign of a somehow tainted soul won't make you any friends here or anywhere (I'm a practising Catholic, btw). Out of interest: do you consider yourself a member of any particular church?

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Serious question, can someone - not the day-of-registration-shitpost-troll OP - explain exactly and clearly why it is that some people write it "G-d" instead of "God"?

I mean, I get the basic sense of "because respect and stuff and things of that sort" but I feel like that is just as much of a cop-out, if not moreso, than saying "the N-word."

Is it really any more respectful to say "G-d" than "God" and is it by that logic less offensive to say "N-gger" than the actual word in question?

Is there a Bible verse where he says "never call me God"? Is it a protestant thing? Is it a Catholic thing protestants abandoned? Is it a Jewish thing that some Christians co-opted?

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

Alter Ego posted:

an invisible authority figure in the sky
Jesus wasn't invisible, dude. Lots of people saw him. It's sort of how the whole religion got rolling. There's a great book about it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

I belief in the Liberal Democracy, which stems from philosophy not religion, and that is basically superior to religion in its moral code. Imo, the Liberal Democracy is more important than Christianity. I don't consider myself a religious, intolerant, theocratic Christian, luckily.

You do not get to call atheism a "disease of the soul" and then simultaneously call yourself open-minded. Sorry.

harper is bisexual posted:

Jesus wasn't invisible, dude. Lots of people saw him. It's sort of how the whole religion got rolling. There's a great book about it.

I read Reza Aslan's book, and while I agree with his assessments of the historical Jesus, I don't believe there was anything supernatural about him.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

Alter Ego posted:

I don't believe there was anything supernatural about him.
You mean like X-Files or something? That was a television show. Jesus was a man and the son of God.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Does your God heal people if they pray enough to them?
If yes, then why does God never heal amputees?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

You mean like X-Files or something? That was a television show. Jesus was a man and the son of God.

I never got why Christians insist that Jesus can be both 100% man and the literal son of God. Logic would seem to dictate Jesus to be 50% man and 50% god, and he is certainly claimed to have had the magical powers that go with half-deity status.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

happyhippy posted:

Does your God heal people if they pray enough to them?
If yes, then why does God never heal amputees?
So basically you'd believe in God if you had Wolverine from X-Men's mutant powers.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

peak debt posted:

I never got why Christians insist that Jesus can be both 100% man and the literal son of God. Logic would seem to dictate Jesus to be 50% man and 50% god, and he is certainly claimed to have had the magical powers that go with half-deity status.

There's a popular field of study called theology which involves ruminations on problems like this, actually. You can't just skim through Atlas Shrugged and think you've figured out why billions of believers are idiots.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

So basically you'd believe in God if you had Wolverine from X-Men's mutant powers.

I've been praying for it for so long that I'd just chock it up to random chance at this point. If god was real he woulda given me super powers when I was 7 like I asked.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

peak debt posted:

Logic.
Jesus was created at a random time so that God could forgive himself for hating too much a few thousand years before. He had to die too, in a backwater bronze age tribal part of the world when there were other parts that had better recordable history.
Logic smogic.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Sorry OP, but only an atheist can be a true Christian. Zizek said so, so you know it's canon.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

If one person had grown his arm/leg back ever in the totality of human history due to praying to God, sure.
Intead God seems to cure little 'hidden' things you can not see, like cancer or being lame.
God ignores amputees.
God is a dick.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

WW2, that would have been won, but would not have had the Holocaust happen in it, would have been a great but painful victory for G-d.

God? How many divisions has he got?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

Were Nagasaki and Hiroshima some of God's better ideas, then? Atomic God sounds pretty cool - "Thou shalt not kill, I've got that covered".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sP01ylAkfo

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

God? How many divisions has he got?

Division Holy Spirit, Spiritual Army of G-d, the Vanisher of Evil.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

Who knows? Maybe G-d contributed, through the Holy Spirit, which is his spiritual right-arm so to say, more to the defeat of the Nazis then the Allied forces did. A question bascially that is unanwserable.

You can't really know anything, man, therefore God. A convincing argument.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

SGP or CU? :geert:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Danger posted:

Sorry OP, but only an atheist can be a true Christian. Zizek said so, so you know it's canon.

That guy there has a rockin' beard, I'll give him points for that.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

You've come quite a long way, OP. But have you considered making the final step and accepting our gracious lord and saviour Satan?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

R. Mute posted:

You've come quite a long way, OP. But have you considered making the final step and accepting our gracious lord and saviour Satan?

You need to include the statue.

:devil:

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

Keshik posted:

Serious question, can someone - not the day-of-registration-shitpost-troll OP - explain exactly and clearly why it is that some people write it "G-d" instead of "God"?

I mean, I get the basic sense of "because respect and stuff and things of that sort" but I feel like that is just as much of a cop-out, if not moreso, than saying "the N-word."

Is it really any more respectful to say "G-d" than "God" and is it by that logic less offensive to say "N-gger" than the actual word in question?

Is there a Bible verse where he says "never call me God"? Is it a protestant thing? Is it a Catholic thing protestants abandoned? Is it a Jewish thing that some Christians co-opted?

If I remember correctly, it's a Jewish tradition. One of the 10 Commandments is "Don't take the Lord's (YHWH) name in vain," which is typically interpreted to mean something like "don't swear you'll do something with God as your witness and then not do it." Just to be safe, ancient Jews took to substituting other names (Adonai, for instance) just in case. Some people, predominately Orthodox Jews, feel like even that isn't enough and don't say/write the substitutes either, hence G-d. You occasionally run into Protestants who read a book about Judaism once - there was a big thing in the '80s in evangelical circles where Christian praise/worship music incorporated poo poo-tons of Jewish imagery and language, so that might have been a factor too - and think it's a super-holy thing to do, but as far as I'm aware there's no actual religious reason outside of caution. Reverence if you're feeling generous.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Shitpost OP etc.

Are you a "GOD IS LOVE" type Christian or a "make sure women have to get an ultrasound probe shoved into them before they get an abortion because that is totally my business because Bible" Christian?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

Because, like human beings with a good heart and noble intentions, still deserves the deepest respect, even after a temporary failure.

But maybe I have mis-explained myself. I do not think G-d lost the Second World War; what I mean is that it came, in His and I think in all our eyes, at too great a cost to call it a victory. It was the first time in history the Creator suffered a Phyrric victory: He won the War, with the allies--especially America, England, and Russia--, but at too great a cost of human lives to call it a total victory.

WW2, that would have been won, but would not have had the Holocaust happen in it, would have been a great but painful victory for G-d.

but it would've been okay with God if the Japanese still slaughtered like fourteen million Chinese people? god sounds racist as heck

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If God is real, so is Satan, and Satan came up with all the cool things in life, and you only hear about Satan being bad from God anyway because Satan is as strong as God, but Satan doesn't need to brag about how cool he is he just invents things like cocaine and premarital sex, so Hail Satan.

fridgraidr
Nov 10, 2011
Satan works for God. Everyone knows this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Who would win in a hand-to-hand fight, Jesus or Buddha? Jesus, being a Jew, obviously will be using Krav Maga and Buddha will be using Shaolin Kung Fu.

-EDIT-

Bonus points: they have a tag-team ladder match, Jesus and the Holy Ghost vs Buddha and Hulk Hogan (Hogan is assumed to have the power of all the little Hulkamaniacs on his side for the match).

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 27, 2014

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Malmesbury Monster posted:

If I remember correctly, it's a Jewish tradition. One of the 10 Commandments is "Don't take the Lord's (YHWH) name in vain," which is typically interpreted to mean something like "don't swear you'll do something with God as your witness and then not do it." Just to be safe, ancient Jews took to substituting other names (Adonai, for instance) just in case. Some people, predominately Orthodox Jews, feel like even that isn't enough and don't say/write the substitutes either, hence G-d. You occasionally run into Protestants who read a book about Judaism once - there was a big thing in the '80s in evangelical circles where Christian praise/worship music incorporated poo poo-tons of Jewish imagery and language, so that might have been a factor too - and think it's a super-holy thing to do, but as far as I'm aware there's no actual religious reason outside of caution. Reverence if you're feeling generous.

If we are not to use **** name then he wouldnt have said that his name is ******* in the bible.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Pffft the buda will use Vedic arts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U9w_VY8HKg

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
btw if you are a christian then you would not be a part of this world.
John 17:15,16.

Christians are not supposed to be involved in politics. They are to wait for their King Jesus Christ (who have been given power by hewhomustnotbenamed) who are to rule the earth.

When people tried to make him a King he went away from them. The smartest man who ever lived knew that politics are totally lol.

But then how can i force others to follow my beliefs :qq:

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

Michael Jackson posted:

If we are not to use **** name then he wouldnt have said that his name is ******* in the bible.

It's not so much that you're not allowed to say it as it is "If I don't say it I can't take it in vain." But yeah, there's a reason it's a practice limited to Orthodox Jews and confused Protestants, especially considering that swearing an oath by your deity of choice (what the Fourth Commandment covers) fell out of fashion in favor of legally binding contracts.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fandyien posted:

but it would've been okay with God if the Japanese still slaughtered like fourteen million Chinese people? god sounds racist as heck

All events in human history center around Europe and all events in the universe center around Earth, duh.

HumbleBeforeYou posted:

Also: G-d, the Creator of Heaven and earth, is: not omnipotent, but extremely powerful; not omniscient, but knows the past and present wholly and fully, but not the future, for he can only foresee and predict it. This is an other reason why G-d is still a being in which you can and may have faith.

That isn't God, that's Uatu the Watcher from Marvel Comics.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 27, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

All events in human history center around Europe and all events in the universe center around Earth, duh

God has always been racist, or at least the God of the bible has been. The OT has God ordering the Jews to genocide people left and right.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Who What Now posted:

God has always been racist, or at least the God of the bible has been. The OT has God ordering the Jews to genocide people left and right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNCpD3xhsY

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Who What Now posted:

Hey, remember the time Victor tried to justify the slaughter of the Canaanites by claiming they practiced child sacrifice and therefore the Israelites had a moral imperative to kill them all, including the children (save, of course, unmarried young women to be taken as slaves)? Good times man, good times.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hey, remember the time Victor tried to justify the slaughter of the Canaanites by claiming they practiced child sacrifice and therefore the Israelites had a moral imperative to kill them all, including the children (save, of course, unmarried young women to be taken as slaves)? Good times man, good times.

And that starving African children deserved to have parasites eat their eyes from the inside out, don't forget that!

Sometimes I miss Victor. Not often, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

My favorite Bible verse, Hosea 13:16

"The people of Samaria must bear the consequences of their guilt because they rebelled against their God. They will be killed by an invading army, their little ones dashed to death against the ground, their pregnant women ripped open by swords."

Does this count as the first recorded forced-abortion in history?

• Locked thread