Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW
I was about two years ago an Atheist, but suddenly understood the deep truths in de entire Bible, which is the Word of God. I want to explain my reasons for conversion, from going from atheist to theist.

1. The Holocaust. When I saw Chindlers List that movie it made a deep impact on my mind. I kind of strayed from life for years. After that, I became an atheist, always thinking of that movie, which for me was absolute proof of the non-existence of god and the total falsehood of Christian theology. But now I understand God was at the end of his power, and did what he could as much as he can, but in the end of WW2 too much suffering was caused and many people lost their faith. I now understand God tried but maybe failed, but I still belief in him, because he at least tried at his absolute maximum.

2. Warfare and excessive suffering. The world if not perfect, but made in fullness, as some protestants say. Warfare: Most of it is all done by human hands but steered by the plan of God, to move and twist and turn entire nations, to finalize thing as best as possible. God does as much good as he can, but cannot do any more. And so, I now understand God, and can belief in Him.

3. Pains from my youth. I had a difficult childhood, and repressed childhood memories and anger and hate in my heart kept me from finding true faith in God of the Bible. I have solved these troubling issues now mostly, and so now I can finally belief.

4. The Bible & Christianity. Christianity is not a stupid religion for the blind that follow the blind, but a gift from God to humanity. It's beautifull, deep, and truthfull. Everything makes sense, if you look at it from a different way.

5. Atheism, is, in my humble opion--and I mean it--a disease of the soul, called godlessness. If you take away the dark veils of atheism surrounding the soul, the soul will find faith again, because the created, the soul, deep inside wants to know and belief in its Creator.

May the Holy Spirit give you peace.

Who disagrees with my reasons?

HumbleBeforeYou fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Deuce posted:

Your God is a dick.

May I ask what your belief is: atheism or theism, or something else like agnosticism or pantheism, etc.?

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

SubponticatePoster posted:

So did you intend to use the poo poo POST tag? Because if not it was divine providence as that is how this thread will end up.

The future is uncertain sometimes: don't be so sure then about that :)

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Captain_Maclaine posted:

When things inevitably go badly for you, are you planning on cribbing your responses in secret from a Christian forum somewhere like the last guy who tried this sort of thing?

No, in honesty I am not pulling this from somewhere: I now and then go to the Reformed Protestant Church in the Netherlands and listen to the preacher, who spoke about fullness of creation instead of perfection.

All thought are mine, and from the Bible of course; I say this before Christendom.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Isn't God supposed to be omnipotent? How could he be at the end of his power? Did he run out of mana potions?

I can not use the emperical scientific method to proof this, so ultimately it is based on faith, not purely reason.

But no: I belief God the Creator of heaven and earth is not omnipotent, but extremely powerful, but found his match, for the first time in history, against the Nazis, his ultimate enemy, and is, in my opinon, the ultimate evil that ever crawled the earth.

HumbleBeforeYou fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 26, 2014

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Fandyien posted:

how do you feel about islams

Brothers of Christendom; the Angel that revealed to Muhammed the truths of the Koran also reveals to Christian chosen ones. There is a strong bond, but not many on both sides see this unfortunately. Terrorists are evil: other Islamists are good people.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

SubponticatePoster posted:

Someday a worthy successor to Toblerone Triangular will be found.

Today is not that day.

Tell me about him please, if needed in short. I'm interested :)

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

EightBit posted:

OP, are you Lee Strobel? You have about as much sanity.

How do you define sanity?

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Setting aside the fact that you're pulling things out of your rear end, how do you deal with the contradiction between your belief and what the bible says?

Jeremiah 32:27 ESV / 60 helpful votes

“Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is anything too hard for me?

My anwser: Yes, WW2 was. The Bible is 2 Thousand years old. The Catholic faith and the Bible are different in some ways.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I knew TobleroneTriangular. TobleroneTriangular trolled me and threatened my life. You sir, are no TobleroneTriangular.

He was an LF-era icon who showed how to do a long-con troll and do it well, by pretending to be an foaming-at-the-mouth insane Ron Paul supporter for months on end without breaking character or, more importantly, becoming boring.

Ahem, the purestrain gold standard of posters.

Promise: I will not post for more then 2 or 3 days. I get tired easily honestly, stressed out quickly. This is not meant as trolling, but a true decleration and argumentation of my faith.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You're doing neither any favors, then.

Faith is not always about favor: God comes through the wound sometimes, not everything has to be pleasurable in life.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Merrill Grinch posted:

I converted from atheism to unitarian. Am I still a heathen? :ohdear:

That is kind of funny: I read unitarian quickly on Wiki and realized I'm a unitarian on some points to. Defenitely not heathen, imo :)

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Mo_Steel posted:

Been a while since the last religion thread here; I think that one was BrandorKP?

:tipshat: Welcome to the forums.

Are you looking at it from a Problem of Evil / Free Will perspective and that's why God can only do a certain amount of good? Because I don't find those arguments convincing evidence of a deity, only hotly debated theories of a hypothetical God / gods that hinges on debates of what the meaning of omnipotence is, which utterly ignores the primary question at hand of whether or not a deity exists, much less your deity.

Sorry to hear that. Coming to terms with personal problems from youth is a difficult process that a lot of people never really find any semblance of closure on because human psychology is a complicated and nuanced process. Ultimately though your state of mind doesn't change the truth value of a proposition; it's entirely possible that the old you that held hate in your heart was in fact correct about the existence or nonexistence of God, and thus it's not relevant to the question.

If "a different way" is not testable, repeatable independent experiments about predictions and hypotheses that prove true then the factuality of your claims are not particularly convincing or well supported here. If it is testable, repeatable independent experiments about predictions and hypotheses that prove true, by all means please explain.

Again, this doesn't have anything to say about whether your belief is a valid and accurate and true representation of the world we inhabit or not.

Hi Mo Steel. I respect your arguments, views and opinion. You sound like a very intelligent and rational man. I don't want to force my opinons on you and I need to sleep. This is my final post for today (at midnight now here) but tomorrow I will reply to your arguments.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Fandyien posted:

op can you confirm or deny whether the church knows where i can score primo cheeba?

Last post then: primo cheeba? Like excellent drugs? :) You can score them very easily here in Holland, and if you get busted with cocaïne or xtc, they'll just let you go. So, yeah, come to Holland then :D

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Badera posted:

If WW2 was too hard for your god, why does he deserve to be worshipped?

Because, like human beings with a good heart and noble intentions, still deserves the deepest respect, even after a temporary failure.

But maybe I have mis-explained myself. I do not think G-d lost the Second World War; what I mean is that it came, in His and I think in all our eyes, at too great a cost to call it a victory. It was the first time in history the Creator suffered a Phyrric victory: He won the War, with the allies--especially America, England, and Russia--, but at too great a cost of human lives to call it a total victory.

WW2, that would have been won, but would not have had the Holocaust happen in it, would have been a great but painful victory for G-d.

G-d has had a strong bond and connection with the Jewish people in history, and the Holocaust made not only the Jewish people suffer beyond imagination, but also made suffer G-d Himself, who is the Living God. G-d feels pain; G-d can suffer too; G-d feels feelings, relating to humans and creation, in his divine consciousness.

Therefore, WW2 can not be called a true victory for G-d, but, because of his goodness, justness, and compassion, he is still very much a G-d that can be loved. Nothing in existence is perfect, not even G-d.

Also: G-d, the Creator of Heaven and earth, is: not omnipotent, but extremely powerful; not omniscient, but knows the past and present wholly and fully, but not the future, for he can only foresee and predict it. This is an other reason why G-d is still a being in which you can and may have faith.

HumbleBeforeYou fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 27, 2014

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Piell posted:

Why didn't God just make Hitler a good painter? Then there wouldn't have been the Holocaust.

Very difficult question that I dare not to answer. I belief the ways of G-d are mysterious but especially impenetrable.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I was going to make a joke about Jesus' sexy, sexy abs, but actually, now I'm curious.

If the Nazis were too powerful for God to defeat, and we defeated the Nazis, then that means we're more powerful than God?

Who knows? Maybe G-d contributed, through the Holy Spirit, which is his spiritual right-arm so to say, more to the defeat of the Nazis then the Allied forces did. A question bascially that is unanwserable.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

SlipUp posted:

so what changed between yesterday and today that you can't use the word god anymore?

I forgot that if you read aloud the word God, the Holy Spirit comes to you. The word G-d should not be used in vain in my faith, but I belief I did not disrespect Him by doing so, but have used it too much though the other day.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

McDowell posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tABnznhzdIY

I'm a Deist, personally. The creator of the universe is all-powerful and alien in a sort of Lovecraftian sense. Humans can learn to live and work together and become a more significant part of the universe, or we can go extinct; it really doesn't make a difference to God.

Sorry that social pressures have convinced you to worship a book, OP.

My conversion from atheism went from this in some months: atheist > pantheist > deist > panentheist > theist > Christian. I simply have strong faith now in Christianity and the Holy Spirit, so I am not a deist anymore.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Alter Ego posted:

I realize this thread went to poo poo long before this, but speaking as an atheist, go gently caress yourself. Are you really so narrow-minded that you think people who don't believe in God have no moral code? That we need religion or an invisible authority figure in the sky who tells us it's not OK to kill people?

I belief in the Liberal Democracy, which stems from philosophy not religion, and that is basically superior to religion in its moral code. Imo, the Liberal Democracy is more important than Christianity. I don't consider myself a religious, intolerant, theocratic Christian, luckily.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

God? How many divisions has he got?

Division Holy Spirit, Spiritual Army of G-d, the Vanisher of Evil.

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

R. Mute posted:

You've come quite a long way, OP. But have you considered making the final step and accepting our gracious lord and saviour Satan?

Alright I'll call it a day, starts to feel like some lame conversion attempt.

Satan... HaSatan, sure :D

Peace. I'm out :)

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Its sad that you suck this bad at trolling.

Haha. Seriously, if you have any compassion in your heart: don't laugh.

I have a bi-polar/manic-depressive mind, that strays a lot.

Two days ago, I thought I was at the height of my faith, and decided to post this thread.

Today, I have converted back to some form on modern panentheism (god is the universe and beyond the universe), somewhat in the ancient Egyptian style.

But seriously. Don't laugh. It's pretty indecent to laugh at someone with a disease of any sort (the worse the disease, the more hurtful the effect).

I somehow don't think I'm a real Christian actually now.

Not trolling, but maybe people can't understand this if you don't have someone close to you with bi-polar disorder.

Anyway, peace out. I might start debating some politics sometime. Screw this religion stuff :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HumbleBeforeYou
Jun 26, 2014

by XyloJW

SocketWrench posted:

He saw xtians doing it on some board and is copying it to sell the trolling

The people who say that there are trolls, are the ones trolling; the people who do not belief in trolls, are not the trolls.

Get it?

No one in school, work, or on the street speaks about 'trolls'.

Maybe you don't get out of the house much? :)

Diversity of character and individuality is a strong point. I've Always enjoyed strange or ironical individuality on the internet.

• Locked thread