Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Tenzarin posted:

So all this time they are wasting because they could just make another space marine dlc.

If only they'd churn out space marine games like cod does I'd never have a complaint ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

xxEightxx posted:

If only they'd churn out space marine games like cod does I'd never have a complaint ever again

This but only if there was a voice converter that changed everything other people said in voice chat into Ork.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If this thing ever exists I'm totally fine with the wait to have Eldar and Orks in Space Marine multiplayer. Especially if it means I don't have to play on eastern European servers whenever I get the Space Marine itch.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Orv posted:

If this thing ever exists I'm totally fine with the wait to have Eldar and Orks in Space Marine multiplayer. Especially if it means I don't have to play on eastern European servers whenever I get the Space Marine itch.

I never had anything but problems with Space Marine multiplayer in general. It was always a laggy piece of crap. If the netcode in this ends up being half-decent, at least that would be an improvement in general. Even if we end up fighting more guys from Croatia.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Space Marine with dedicated servers please.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Zaodai posted:

I never had anything but problems with Space Marine multiplayer in general. It was always a laggy piece of crap. If the netcode in this ends up being half-decent, at least that would be an improvement in general. Even if we end up fighting more guys from Croatia.

Pc? I didn't really ever have problems on the ps4.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Stanley Pain posted:

Space Marine with dedicated servers please.

Basically this. I really liked the Space Marine multiplayer when it came out, so long as the host was on a fiber line. It seemed like any time there was a player migration it always went to the person with the worst connection imaginable. If they had dedicated servers for it and coop on day 1 I would of stuck it out way longer.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DeathSandwich posted:

Basically this. I really liked the Space Marine multiplayer when it came out, so long as the host was on a fiber line. It seemed like any time there was a player migration it always went to the person with the worst connection imaginable. If they had dedicated servers for it and coop on day 1 I would of stuck it out way longer.

Exactly. This is what made it so intolerable. At least with dedicated servers, everybody should be on a roughly equal playing ground and the server will hopefully not be a potato hooked into a coat hanger.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Not gonna lie. I would shell out $60 for a re-release of Space Marine but with dedicated servers, and don't none of you try an' tell me you wouldn't. Cause you are all in this thread too.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Space marine was a bad game, the two gimmicks were no cover and healing by killing.
Despite no cover they immediately and consistently have enemies up on balconies you have to tediously shoot while taking damage, so go sorta stand behind this thing while your halo shield recharges, but space marines dont use cover so we didnt put it in. Lets give you a gun that shoots through obstacles instead of letting you clip to cover because now you can stand behind that crate and take care of the shoota boyz by tediously shooting them all through the box. Lets double down on this by having a turret sequence where you have to take cover in this fashion explicitly.

Whether your heals would work was dependent on the length of the kill animation which was totally random, and you took unmitigated damage while doing them so often your healing move would actually leave you with less health than before. Easily solved by running arond a box while your shield regens then popping out and repeating!

The audiologs were boring, which is weird considering you could just pay some people to read the little transcriptions in the rulebooks and be a hundred times better.

It looked nice, the jetpack was good when it let you use it and customising your own space marine in multiplayer gave me a boner but it failed on the fundmentals.

--
In Eternal Crusade chat its funny that the new unreal4 footage looks exactly like the alpha footage but in unreal engine, lotta progress there guys.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nopantsjack posted:

Space marine was a bad game, the two gimmicks were no cover and healing by killing.
Despite no cover they immediately and consistently have enemies up on balconies you have to tediously shoot while taking damage, so go sorta stand behind this thing while your halo shield recharges, but space marines dont use cover so we didnt put it in. Lets give you a gun that shoots through obstacles instead of letting you clip to cover because now you can stand behind that crate and take care of the shoota boyz by tediously shooting them all through the box. Lets double down on this by having a turret sequence where you have to take cover in this fashion explicitly.

Whether your heals would work was dependent on the length of the kill animation which was totally random, and you took unmitigated damage while doing them so often your healing move would actually leave you with less health than before. Easily solved by running arond a box while your shield regens then popping out and repeating!

The audiologs were boring, which is weird considering you could just pay some people to read the little transcriptions in the rulebooks and be a hundred times better.

It looked nice, the jetpack was good when it let you use it and customising your own space marine in multiplayer gave me a boner but it failed on the fundmentals.

--
In Eternal Crusade chat its funny that the new unreal4 footage looks exactly like the alpha footage but in unreal engine, lotta progress there guys.

While the single player game was kinda boring and had artificially inflated "difficulty" the multiplayer aspect, when it wasn't being hosted on a potato, was surprisingly fun.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Sazabi posted:

Not gonna lie. I would shell out $60 for a re-release of Space Marine but with dedicated servers, and don't none of you try an' tell me you wouldn't. Cause you are all in this thread too.

Alas, i think theres at most like 8 of us left and we cant finance a video game for that :(

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They should have pitched it as a persistent universe quasi-MMO. STAR SERF (Citizenship is not guaranteed!) They'd get all the dollars then. Make it rain in Doritos Blast HQ.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Zaodai posted:

They should have pitched it as a persistent universe quasi-MMO. STAR SERF (Citizenship is not guaranteed!) They'd get all the dollars then. Make it rain in Doritos Blast HQ.

They did pitch this game like that then decided that was too hard to make.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

randombattle posted:

They did pitch this game like that then decided that was too hard to make.

Nah, their pitch was never even that ambitious. IT was just that you'd group up with friends in your battle barge and go fight tyranids in hallways or some poo poo. I don't recall them ever talking about taking over planets FOR THE EMPEROR or anything. It wasn't even pitched entirely as a Planetside clone, much less a persistent universe. And they still found it too hard to make.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Zaodai posted:

I don't recall them ever talking about taking over planets FOR THE EMPEROR or anything. It wasn't even pitched entirely as a Planetside clone, much less a persistent universe.to make.

This is exactly what they said the game would be like in the beginning. They rapidly scaled down.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

nopantsjack posted:

--

nopantsjack posted:

--

Sorry, I meant a re-release of Space marines multi-player only. https://youtu.be/sZ2dbz7XF80 this one the other hand is only worth 15 or so max.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Zaodai posted:

Nah, their pitch was never even that ambitious. IT was just that you'd group up with friends in your battle barge and go fight tyranids in hallways or some poo poo. I don't recall them ever talking about taking over planets FOR THE EMPEROR or anything. It wasn't even pitched entirely as a Planetside clone, much less a persistent universe. And they still found it too hard to make.

Well lets take a look back at what we started with in this very topic.

Doink9731 posted:

Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade is a 3rd-person, Massive Combat RPG. Players select one of the factions of the 41st millennium and fight other players for control of an open, persistent world, claiming territory in massive battles and hacking their way through procedural content while earning the right to customize their characters in a deep progression system drawn from Warhammer 40,000 lore.

Are there quests?
Not in the traditional sense. Instead of looking for quest-givers to give you things to do, you can just head out into the world to find procedurally-generated content in your own or the enemy’s territory.

Behaviour Interactive is currently working on short, horde-style firefights and longer dungeon-delving experiences. In both cases, the content is randomized so it’s new every time, but with parameters and details specific to the locations.

Of course, you can always look to the community channels and your faction leaders to get some direction. In addition, there are mid- and long-term opposed goals for factions that appear on a regular basis as part of the ongoing server-wide campaign system.

Can I play solo?
Solo players can easily find and join battles with their faction by either looking at the world map or deep striking into the top conflicts of the moment. They will also be able to access and progress through procedural content – it will definitely be a challenge, however!

Even though Eternal Crusade is an MMO in a persistent open world, the combat plays out like a proper third-person shooter. You point where you want to shoot or strike and hitting your target is based on skill. There are no ability bars or auto-attack systems, and if you want to evade or block an incoming attack, you press a button to roll out of the way or hold down the guard button.

At the same time, Eternal Crusade is a tactical experience with an RPG system, so positioning, teamwork, and your choice of wargear are also key components to victory. You may be an amazing shot with your Stalker Bolter, but when a Havoc has you pinned down and Raptors are advancing you’re going to have a tough time maintaining that defensive position!

Is this a single-server MMO?
Behaviour Interactive are aiming to have one Realm/World/Instance for the whole world. If they achieve this, it means that every player will be able to combat each other in the world – giving the possibility for truly amazingly huge battles. We are aware of the fact that a networked signal takes time to travel depending on the distance from the servers to your home, but we have built our game logic in a way such that up to a certain degree this should not be an issue .

Behaviour Interactive's confidence in this approach comes due to our partner MuchDifferent and their PikkoServer technology. They have a distributed server system, which enables us to handle each server not on a per zone basis (like in other MMOs) but rather on player density. This means that if more players are in the same area, more servers are handling that area. In fact, they are able to adjust the spread of the servers on the fly, depending on where the players are going and how many players are converging in one specific area.

If at any point in development Behaviour Interactive hit a wall and realize that this approach is too bold and they cannot guarantee that everyone will be able to have fun, they will investigate splitting up the servers into regions to provide better quality network connections.

Will the world be instanced?
The PvP gameplay of Eternal Crusade takes place primarily an open world, without any instancing. Our PvE game modes take place in instanced dungeons and hives below the surface of the planet, but you get to them by finding them in the open world and entering. There may be further use of instancing in the game, but it should generally be the exception rather than the rule.

How do the Campaigns work?
As the four armies clash on the surface of the planet, the (npc) High Command for each army receives intelligence about the planet and set objectives to act on. Campaign objectives are always opposed by at least one other faction. These grand clashes rage across one or more of the continents on the surface for a set period of time.

When the High Command receives new intelligence, they change their objectives and focus their efforts into a new campaign on a different continent (or continents). The results of the previous campaign will be meaningful and lasting, and some campaigns will be heavily story driven, helping to uncover more about the lore of the universe and the planet itself.

What can I do if I don’t like PvP?
Eternal Crusade is a game primarily about player-run factions clashing against each other for control of the planet. However, there are other ways for players to contribute to their faction’s conquest. To that end, Behaviour Interactive are targeting two PvE game modes for launch; tentatively known as Underworlds and Hives.

In Underworlds, you and your friends will crawl through the procedurally generated ruins beneath the surface of the planet. Never the same twice, Underworlds will test your teamwork and your skill as you carefully conserve health and ammo to delve as deep as possible, slay foul threats, and unearth powerful rewards. This mode is inspired by classic ARPGs like Diablo II and Left 4 Dead.

In Hives, you and your friends will drop into a Tyranid Hive and hold out as the ravenous alien hordes rush you in increasing waves. Similar horde mode game types can be found in Space Marine and Mass Effect 3.

Both PvE modes will allow you to earn contribution to your faction’s cause, and your faction will reward you appropriately for your efforts!

So let's take a look and remove everything that is canned.

Doink9731 posted:

Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade is a 3rd-person, Massive Combat RPG. Players select one of the factions of the 41st millennium and fight other players for control of an open, persistent world, claiming territory in massive battles and hacking their way through procedural content while earning the right to customize their characters in a deep progression system drawn from Warhammer 40,000 lore.

Are there quests?
Not in the traditional sense. Instead of looking for quest-givers to give you things to do, you can just head out into the world to find procedurally-generated content in your own or the enemy’s territory.

Behaviour Interactive is currently working on short, horde-style firefights and longer dungeon-delving experiences. In both cases, the content is randomized so it’s new every time, but with parameters and details specific to the locations.

Of course, you can always look to the community channels and your faction leaders to get some direction. In addition, there are mid- and long-term opposed goals for factions that appear on a regular basis as part of the ongoing server-wide campaign system.

Can I play solo?
Solo players can easily find and join battles with their faction by either looking at the world map or deep striking into the top conflicts of the moment. They will also be able to access and progress through procedural content – it will definitely be a challenge, however!

Even though Eternal Crusade is an MMO in a persistent open world
, the combat plays out like a proper third-person shooter. You point where you want to shoot or strike and hitting your target is based on skill. There are no ability bars or auto-attack systems, and if you want to evade or block an incoming attack, you press a button to roll out of the way or hold down the guard button.

At the same time, Eternal Crusade is a tactical experience with an RPG system, so positioning, teamwork, and your choice of wargear are also key components to victory. You may be an amazing shot with your Stalker Bolter, but when a Havoc has you pinned down and Raptors are advancing you’re going to have a tough time maintaining that defensive position!

Is this a single-server MMO?
Behaviour Interactive are aiming to have one Realm/World/Instance for the whole world. If they achieve this, it means that every player will be able to combat each other in the world – giving the possibility for truly amazingly huge battles. We are aware of the fact that a networked signal takes time to travel depending on the distance from the servers to your home, but we have built our game logic in a way such that up to a certain degree this should not be an issue .

Behaviour Interactive's confidence in this approach comes due to our partner MuchDifferent and their PikkoServer technology. They have a distributed server system, which enables us to handle each server not on a per zone basis (like in other MMOs) but rather on player density. This means that if more players are in the same area, more servers are handling that area. In fact, they are able to adjust the spread of the servers on the fly, depending on where the players are going and how many players are converging in one specific area.

If at any point in development Behaviour Interactive hit a wall and realize that this approach is too bold and they cannot guarantee that everyone will be able to have fun, they will investigate splitting up the servers into regions to provide better quality network connections.

Will the world be instanced?
The PvP gameplay of Eternal Crusade takes place primarily an open world, without any instancing. Our PvE game modes take place in instanced dungeons and hives below the surface of the planet, but you get to them by finding them in the open world and entering. There may be further use of instancing in the game, but it should generally be the exception rather than the rule.

How do the Campaigns work?
As the four armies clash on the surface of the planet, the (npc) High Command for each army receives intelligence about the planet and set objectives to act on. Campaign objectives are always opposed by at least one other faction. These grand clashes rage across one or more of the continents on the surface for a set period of time.

When the High Command receives new intelligence, they change their objectives and focus their efforts into a new campaign on a different continent (or continents). The results of the previous campaign will be meaningful and lasting, and some campaigns will be heavily story driven, helping to uncover more about the lore of the universe and the planet itself.

What can I do if I don’t like PvP?
Eternal Crusade is a game primarily about player-run factions clashing against each other for control of the planet. However, there are other ways for players to contribute to their faction’s conquest. To that end, Behaviour Interactive are targeting two PvE game modes for launch; tentatively known as Underworlds and Hives.

In Underworlds, you and your friends will crawl through the procedurally generated ruins beneath the surface of the planet. Never the same twice, Underworlds will test your teamwork and your skill as you carefully conserve health and ammo to delve as deep as possible, slay foul threats, and unearth powerful rewards. This mode is inspired by classic ARPGs like Diablo II and Left 4 Dead.

In Hives, you and your friends will drop into a Tyranid Hive and hold out as the ravenous alien hordes rush you in increasing waves. Similar horde mode game types can be found in Space Marine and Mass Effect 3.

Both PvE modes will allow you to earn contribution to your faction’s cause, and your faction will reward you appropriately for your efforts!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Close enough...

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It went from "Planetside 2 with 40k things but BETTER" to "Space Marine multiplayer but... but worse"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The MMO HMO > Eternal Crusade: Disappointment Terminus

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Paineopticon posted:

It went from "Planetside 2 with 40k things but BETTER" to "Space Marine multiplayer but... but worse"

It cant be hard to copy planetside! They had the perfect plan too, all the free players only could be orks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Paineopticon posted:

Nah it's pretty much exactly Space Marine multiplayer except now when you leave a server there's a bunch of useless metrics for who's "winning".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They should just make a turn based first person shooter.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

They should just make a turn based first person shooter.

Someone loving reskin xcom, put skulls on everything and add a dark gritty filter

Cash money homie

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Declare the game Exterminatus, it is too far gone to save now.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Waroduce posted:

Someone loving reskin xcom, put skulls on everything and add a dark gritty filter

Cash money homie

I would play this game.

Bonus points if you play as Blood Ravens and the XCom style research involves stealing poo poo from other chapters and claiming them as great relics.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
So I guess I should stop being excited for this and keep futilely looking elsewhere for the Orky dream?

Why can't anyone make a Warhammer MMO without running it into the ground.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Sard posted:

Why can't anyone make a Warhammer MMO without running it into the ground.

Because GW want to keep too much of the money and too much creative control so no half decent developer will touch it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sard posted:

So I guess I should stop being excited for this and keep futilely looking elsewhere for the Orky dream?

I know man, the freemium players only getting to be Ork BoyZ sounded so loving good. How could they gently caress up plantside + warhammer?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

BigPaddy posted:

Because GW want to keep too much of the money and too much creative control so no half decent developer will touch it.

To give an example on this : in Space Marine they had a gun called I believe the vengeance launcher. It was a gun made specifically for the game that shot mines. The reason this gun came around was because relic wanted to put in a grenade launcher weapon that you could A) fire in an arc and B) blow up gads of orks with. Games workshop 86ed this idea because Space Marines with grenade launchers is not codex. They weren't allowed a grenade launcher in the game because their line of overpriced plastic tokens don't use it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

DeathSandwich posted:

To give an example on this : in Space Marine they had a gun called I believe the vengeance launcher. It was a gun made specifically for the game that shot mines. The reason this gun came around was because relic wanted to put in a grenade launcher weapon that you could A) fire in an arc and B) blow up gads of orks with. Games workshop 86ed this idea because Space Marines with grenade launchers is not codex. They weren't allowed a grenade launcher in the game because their line of overpriced plastic tokens don't use it.

Well I'm glad they kept out this grenade launcher, sounds lame as poo poo. The weapons in space marine were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Pfft, I used to equip my Space Marines with grenade launchers all the time back in the day when you could do that. Once cannon, always cannon, never forgot Ultramarines aren't a founding chapter :commissar:

• Locked thread