Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Infeckt posted:

From my understanding we wont have the ability to build or place our own tree forts, only capture/control ones constructed by the devs. Meaningful as in some type of bonus for the faction/chapter/whatever that controls the fortress. Or, only that faction gains access to certain PvE instances that are within a fixed distance from said fortress. Pretty much anything other than "We need to go capture that stronghold because we are Space Marines and gently caress Orks".

Although this game isn't based around to much pve, making it sound like a Warham version of PS2, the idea of a fortress that needs to be fought over for a pve instance would make it very meaningful. This would be especially meaningful if the instance could be used to find better gear and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Infeckt posted:

From my understanding we wont have the ability to build or place our own tree forts, only capture/control ones constructed by the devs. Meaningful as in some type of bonus for the faction/chapter/whatever that controls the fortress. Or, only that faction gains access to certain PvE instances that are within a fixed distance from said fortress. Pretty much anything other than "We need to go capture that stronghold because we are Space Marines and gently caress Orks".

What they really need is for minions to take over bases that are captured. The problem with the planetside system is that once everyone moves on from a base there's nothing there but yet it's somehow "under control" and not safe to run around in. Everything that's not the ever shuffling around front line in planetside is just a dead lifeless area that makes you wonder why you're even there. If like imperial guard/gretchin/whatever were milling about doing random npc stuff in bases that you captured it would go infinitely further in making the battlefields feel more substantial rather than "This is where the ball of players run around."

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

randombattle posted:

What they really need is for minions to take over bases that are captured. The problem with the planetside system is that once everyone moves on from a base there's nothing there but yet it's somehow "under control" and not safe to run around in. Everything that's not the ever shuffling around front line in planetside is just a dead lifeless area that makes you wonder why you're even there. If like imperial guard/gretchin/whatever were milling about doing random npc stuff in bases that you captured it would go infinitely further in making the battlefields feel more substantial rather than "This is where the ball of players run around."

Hopefully eliminating the, "well I'm not in the zerg so I cant do anything productive for my team," mentality.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Exactly having npcs defending the captured bases and also having like say tyranids and ork squads assaulting bases at random would be amazing cause you don't always feel like fighting an equal sized horde of space/chaos marines.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Didn't they already say Tyranids were filling the role of NPCs to kill? It mostly makes sense. You could easily justify any given Tyranid being anywhere, there being however many suits the mission, and them varying in difficulty level.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stanyer89 posted:

Although this game isn't based around to much pve, making it sound like a Warham version of PS2, the idea of a fortress that needs to be fought over for a pve instance would make it very meaningful. This would be especially meaningful if the instance could be used to find better gear and such.

yeah basically if they just combined Warhams with PS2 and added tyranid NPCs this game would be the poo poo

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
If you make the gameplay of capturing forts compelling enough on it's own, people will do it. Planetside 1 was a good example, utterly pointless capturing bases (beyond a massive XP tick for doing so), but the battle itself, and having a base closer to more easily push the next base, was enough. And if you took all the bases in the area the continent turned to your color and the enemy got locked out of it for awhile. That was pretty cool too, I guess.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
And honestly, just making bases interesting is a big help. There are bases in Planetside 2 that I'm excited to fight at because they always involve being fun battles. The PS2 devs didn't really understand good base design at first, and to their credit they have redone a lot of them and made them a lot more fun to play in.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So if I go buy a founders pack when can I play this

How far are they from a beta

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Well, if I recall correctly I remember seeing or hearing someone say that there will be a big announcement the 17th of this month. Now seeing that they recently just added a big purity seal on the right side of the Eternal Crusade homepage that says, " Early Access Coming Soon" I would bet that a lot of us who bought founder packs will be getting a nice late Christmas present of some early game play or something else along those lines.

Infeckt
Feb 17, 2014

Waroduce posted:

Q1 2015 is the "projected" release for the first playable module. Which of course translates to Q3 2015.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Infeckt posted:

Q1 2015 is the "projected" release for the first playable module. Which of course translates to Q3 2015.

Which honestly is better to have a playable module later compared to sooner mainly for the fact that a company like this needs as much time as possible to produce a playable and lasting title as big as this one.

There was rumour that before the possible 10v10 arena beta in 2015 Q1 that there will be some sort of "meet and greet" area similar to how Destiny's has a not-so-social Tower area. Their idea behind this is for people to start forming groups and such while taking a look at game controls and such.

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 9, 2014

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Stanyer89 posted:

I'd feel better about pve reward zones in a game that mixes pvp and pve. If this is truly about pvp, a pve reward zone would feel out of place. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work, but obviously there's going to be a pretty big split between the people opening the gates to a zone they don't feel like playing in vs the people who want to just grind in that zone without either playing in pvp or only playing pvp long enough to open the zone. In a primarily pvp game, you don't want that. In a game with both pvp and pve, the line gets blurred and sometimes it works.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I think something akin to Alteric Valley in vanilla WoW would work super well. Npcs staffing/guarding fortressed/checkpoints in instanced battlefields. Give bonuses/gear fpr winning, taking objectives etc. Use a ship as a hub and load into the instance via drop pod? Just an idea.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
planetside 2 mechanics or bust

swissmercenary
Nov 28, 2012

gentlemen, shall we?
if anyone does desire to buy a founders pack then don't forget to add this code to your purchase: EC-JPYI6K2OSSKSM . Enjoy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently there is an announcement coming Dec 19.

also I'm going to be in at the captain tier because im an idiot

eonwe fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 18, 2014

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Hahaha orks are gonna be F2P

e: link https://www.eternalcrusade.com/free-to-play

Infeckt
Feb 17, 2014

Eonwe posted:

Apparently there is an announcement coming Dec 19.

also I'm going to be in at the captain tier because im an idiot

That makes two of us.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Yeah this was a thing even back when they first started talking about the game. The F2P players are going to be literal fodder for the Godlike Pay Customer's Mighty Avatars to slaughter. I imagine something like Dynasty Warriors 40k :v:

There was some debate about whether or not F2P players would actually put up with this for any length of time and as a company you sort of want those players around since they are both potential customers and content for your paying customers.

That said a horde of underpowered grunts screaming in on their once a day red trukk is the most Orky poo poo ever and I approve wholeheartedly.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im assuming that the non F2P Orks will be the bad rear end nobs wit da choppiest ob choppas and shootiest ob shootas wit all da nice liddle gubbins.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

F2P orks players shouldnt be given any sort of task other than a big Nav point towards the best player that spouts out "Hes da Biggest, Hes da strongest, Follow 'im he knows Where da fight is."

The WAAAGH point.

Infeckt
Feb 17, 2014

It will be interesting to see how much of a population swing there will be when F2P players decide to drop money on the game. How many will stick with the Orks vs. switching to one of the restricted races?

And, have they announced any sort of penalty for switching races yet? The map will be hosed if all the pubbies can convert to the "winning" race.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Given that even the cheapest Founders' Pack gets you 4 character slots I don't think there's any way for them to keep you from hopping between factions. If all 4 character slots were faction-bound that would be absolutely terrible.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

PantsOptional posted:

Given that even the cheapest Founders' Pack gets you 4 character slots I don't think there's any way for them to keep you from hopping between factions. If all 4 character slots were faction-bound that would be absolutely terrible.

I'm sure they will do what WoW does and pin you to a faction side on that server.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Infeckt posted:

It will be interesting to see how much of a population swing there will be when F2P players decide to drop money on the game. How many will stick with the Orks vs. switching to one of the restricted races?

I'd also be interested to see how many people play as an Ork, get facerolled because they are intentionally developed to be essentially trash mobs, and then quit the game.

I don't think there is going to be a large segment of F2P players for very long. This is just conjecture, but I think almost all of the F2P players in this situation will either pay up for a full class, or just move on to something else.

What makes F2P work in other games is that you can usually reach the same level of strength as a whale, it just takes much, much longer. It sounds like in this game, you're just hosed until you spend money. What is the incentive to play for free? And when the numbers of F2P Orks start dying off, how will that affect overall game balance? Sounds like you'd just get your poo poo pushed in even harder if there were only six of you F2P Orks left.

I doubt these esteemed developers have thought this out.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Two Feet From Bread posted:

I'm sure they will do what WoW does and pin you to a faction side on that server.

WoW doesn't do that anymore. They finally realized it's 2014.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Eternal Crusade devs did a stream today and it looks pretty fun. When they said Warhammer styled like PS2, I can really see that. The UI is pretty rough and the textures are pretty bad, but they acknowledged that already. Got my founders pack.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Eonwe posted:

Eternal Crusade devs did a stream today and it looks pretty fun. When they said Warhammer styled like PS2, I can really see that. The UI is pretty rough and the textures are pretty bad, but they acknowledged that already. Got my founders pack.

Aren't the UI and textures placeholders though? I just assumed the reason it looks like a game from 1995 is because they haven't even started the detailed phase yet.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Link to stream?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zaodai posted:

Aren't the UI and textures placeholders though? I just assumed the reason it looks like a game from 1995 is because they haven't even started the detailed phase yet.

Yeah thats pretty much what they said.

and the link was https://www.twitch.tv/40kcrusade

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zaodai posted:

This was brought up last time so I assume it's still true.

Anyway can I have a link to the saved version of the stream.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

This was brought up last time so I assume it's still true.

Anyway can I have a link to the saved version of the stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ8-ly-vQO0

here you go

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
This game looks like hard boiled rear end. Even forgiving textures, that gameplay and level design...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rodnik posted:

This game looks like hard boiled rear end. Even forgiving textures, that gameplay and level design...

Yeah, it isn't great as far as level design goes, but the base looks in general on par with what you'd find in an early PS2 base. probably a learning curve to making good bases

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Plus, the Imperium has a bit of a thing for building bases in retarded places. Middle of a swamp? Inside of a box canyon? On some flying platform with a single power source keeping it from plummeting into an ocean of acid? Sure, why not!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It should also be noted it's supposed to be fought with like 50 or so guys are each side. Anyway this is pre alpha so this looks pretty good to me.

Infeckt
Feb 17, 2014

Those bullet trails... :frogout:

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I'm not getting a 'be a badass space marine' vibe from that at all with everyone hiding around corners or spastically Kirk rolling. I feel like Space Marines should have some kind of ATSKNF melee sprint forward or something that halves damage or whatever needs to happen to balance it out.

I know its not really realistic to expect things to be 100% true to the fluff but I was hoping for a bit more than the tabletop troops version.

They also need to filter everyone's voices to be 150% volume vocoded BROTHERS TO ME style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Zaodai posted:

Plus, the Imperium has a bit of a thing for building bases in retarded places. Middle of a swamp? Inside of a box canyon? On some flying platform with a single power source keeping it from plummeting into an ocean of acid? Sure, why not!

I know it's Alpha, and that is a good excuse for the game currently looking lackluster, but this is an incredible stretch. Even if it was a conscious design decision (it wasn't), it still does not save it from being a lovely design.

I want this to be a good game but I don't know how anyone can expect it to be. I'm keeping an eye on it and hoping it delivers because I loved Space Marine and I love the fluff. But this is a developer without a pedigree in this field and it's still only in Alpha. I don't want to be irredeemably negative but I guess I don't know why people are already trying to explain away flaws?

• Locked thread