Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
In the age of youtube and twitch isn't there basically a huge population of entertainers who give their work away for free but do well off revenue from their popularity? It seems like ease of access would help musicians gain popularity and they'd be able to get more attention in concerts and such, has there been any studies that number crunched the pros and cons of piracy? It's obviously worse for the labels but it seems like kind a coin toss in whether it'd be better or worse for the musicians themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
P. sure the guy in the op is old as gently caress and so doesn't understand any of those things, or the internet, or technology.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

The Mad Archivist posted:

I hope copyright advocates are right and piracy destroys the music and/or movie industries

because lol gently caress them

it mostly fucks over the small to medium artists since the big artists/labels make bank by various other means

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
have they considered retraining as plumbers or perhaps electricians instead of poncing around in spangly pants?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the go-betweens were good you dumb shits

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

In the age of youtube and twitch isn't there basically a huge population of entertainers who give their work away for free but do well off revenue from their popularity? It seems like ease of access would help musicians gain popularity and they'd be able to get more attention in concerts and such, has there been any studies that number crunched the pros and cons of piracy? It's obviously worse for the labels but it seems like kind a coin toss in whether it'd be better or worse for the musicians themselves.

only the people at the top make a living while everyone else makes pennies because there's no longer a middle class of photographers and musicians. you either make it or you're nothing, and unless they can make it more convenient to buy music/whatever instead of copying it, all the attention and popularity in the world wont matter

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
Did you know pirates were basically the first unions, seizing the means of production (ships) from their corporate masters?
So basically if you don't support piracy you are against labor rights

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Harry Joe posted:

Did you know pirates were basically the first unions, seizing the means of production (ships) from their corporate masters?
So basically if you don't support piracy you are against labor rights

copyright laws protect those who can't protect themselves. there's no real difference between 20-somethings calling for piracy and wall street bankers calling for less regulation

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006

butplug accident posted:

copyright laws protect those who can't protect themselves. there's no real difference between 20-somethings calling for piracy and wall street bankers calling for less regulation

hmmmm yes this argument def provides legitimacy to the anti-pirates i can see your poi... FART

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

butplug accident posted:

only the people at the top make a living while everyone else makes pennies because there's no longer a middle class of photographers and musicians. you either make it or you're nothing, and unless they can make it more convenient to buy music/whatever instead of copying it, all the attention and popularity in the world wont matter

how dare you disparage the attention economy

the future is now

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Harry Joe posted:

hmmmm yes this argument def provides legitimacy to the anti-pirates i can see your poi... FART

u scared?

MaximusCraptaculous
Apr 20, 2008

If you mess this up, so help me GOD I will rip your balls off with my bare hands!
WITH MY BARE HANDS GOD DAMN YOU!!
You wouldn't download a bag of dicks would you?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
the way you think is funny since you think there's only 2 sides lol

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006

Couldn't you tell from the fact I just poo poo my pants? Your argument blew my mind so hard it went out my rear end and now i gotta change my shorts.

Thanks piracy, you have ruined yet another life

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
Just kidding i'm gonna go download some lovely pop songs just to poo poo in some independent artists corn flakes

Besides music is basically like hitler anyways, and why would anyone wanna pay for hitler

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
A conservative who opposes universal health care might argue that people should only have to pay for health care when they want it, since it's a consumer choice. It's as if we were talking about aliens with the super-power to choose when to get sick and how much it will cost when that happens.

Similarly, the Pirate Party crowd suggests that instead of making money from recordings, musicians should play live gigs. This strategy only works reliably for those who will always be healthy and childless. In fact it works best if the person’s parents are still healthy and generous.

Any society that is composed of real biological people has to succeed at providing a balance to the frustrations of biological reality. There must be economic dignity, defined here as knowing you won’t fall off a cliff into abject poverty if you get sick, become a parent, or grow old.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
solution to me stealing your poo poo: become a freelancer! surely that'll get all the creatives through life

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

theres this whole secondary industry involving the production of physical goods that can be sold on store shelves by retailers like walmart and target. so even if record labels wanted to move towards piracy friendly positions (they don't) there is massive industry pressure against it, because while you can easily make the argument that recording companies would make more money by embracing open digital blah blah, theres no money for big retail in that direction.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006

Hesh Ballantine posted:

theres this whole secondary industry involving the production of physical goods that can be sold on store shelves by retailers like walmart and target. so even if record labels wanted to move towards piracy friendly positions (they don't) there is massive industry pressure against it, because while you can easily make the argument that recording companies would make more money by embracing open digital blah blah, theres no money for big retail in that direction.

Won't somebody please think of the parasites?!?

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
the internet nerds' solution to piracy is to lump together webcomic and slashfic authors with professional musicians and have them go around to cons year round and sell tshirts lol

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

For a band as historically unimportant as the Go-Betweens, the only way anyone will remember them is if Lindy Morrison yells about them for the next 20 years, going on about "historical significance", "pioneering women in rock" (yeah right) and getting a goddam overpriced toll bridge named after her lovely no-hit Smiths ripoff gay band. If the GoBetweens reformed today (unlikely, the main guy is dead) they'd pull about 10 punters to the Mt Gravatt Bowls Club. :colbert:

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Why doesn't anyone have to pay them for being on the radio? Seems weird!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Uncle Wemus posted:

pirates do steal a lot of money from musicians

but nothing compared to what the record companies steal

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2013/11/27/the-lie-that-fuels-the-music-industrys-paranoia/

Wait, whats that blatantly pro-business webzone? People who complain about music piracy are full of poo poo? Why you don't say! It's almost as if people who suck at their jobs like to blame things that can't easily be quantified to shift the blame away from the fact that they suck.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

butplug accident posted:

Similarly, the Pirate Party crowd suggests that instead of making money from recordings, musicians should play live gigs. This strategy only works reliably for those who will always be healthy and childless. In fact it works best if the person’s parents are still healthy and generous.

Any society that is composed of real biological people has to succeed at providing a balance to the frustrations of biological reality. There must be economic dignity, defined here as knowing you won’t fall off a cliff into abject poverty if you get sick, become a parent, or grow old.

I know lots of musicians that live off gigs. Some are sick, some are parents and some are old so I don't know what you're talking about.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Manchild King posted:

"Music industry charity" I laughed pretty hard at that bit.

Do you feel it? Do you feel my charity inside you? Shhh, don't cry you know you wanted this.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Advertisement

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006

You will be amongst the first to be sent to the gallows

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

who the gently caress actually torrents music of all things

cool yes I would like to collect thousands of 70Mb rars cool

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

bitterandtwisted posted:

I know lots of musicians that live off gigs. Some are sick, some are parents and some are old so I don't know what you're talking about.

guy who opposes universal healthcare: I know lots of people who were saved by the health care industry. Some were fired, some are parents and some are old so I don't know what you're talking about. I have more deece anecdotes if you want to hear them

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

butplug accident posted:

guy who opposes universal healthcare: I know lots of people who were saved by the health care industry. Some were fired, some are parents and some are old so I don't know what you're talking about. I have more deece anecdotes if you want to hear them

So royalties aren't earnings but benefits? Why not distribute them to everyone in need?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
tpb isn't exploiting the musicians. The music industry is.

seriously, i know pirating puts a dent in some wallets but it's not like i'm going to loving buy their album anyway. i need that money for hookers

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

According to someone smart, in 2009 37% of all music was pirated. If we extrapolate these numbers 100% of all music will be stolen by 2019. If we don't do something drastic nobody will have mainstream music to listen to.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Obscuritatem posted:

have they considered retraining as plumbers or perhaps electricians instead of poncing around in spangly pants?

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Wooten posted:

According to someone smart, in 2009 37% of all music was pirated. If we extrapolate these numbers 100% of all music will be stolen by 2019. If we don't do something drastic nobody will have mainstream music to listen to.

good imo

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
I know a lot of people feel strongly about music one way or another, sometimes the strength of their feelings can only be expressed through professional advocacy, so what I am saying is wouldn't it be easier if we just banned all music?Sure people would miss it at first and there would probably be some kind of resistance movement led by a charismatic young man dressed like it was still 1980 but in the end isn't music kind of lovely and we would all be better off if we never had to hear it again?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
When you make something that sells for a tiny amount of money compared to what it cost you to actually make it, and people pirate the poo poo out of that, it's kind of discouraging tbh

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

OP unless you are Lindy Morrison, you really are in no position to be the onetalking about stealing is bad. you didn't write that. He or She did and you should feel bad.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

"You know those download/streaming services that are eviscerating our album sales? Well in truth digital piracy is all their problem. But let's fight pirates anyway. The enemy of my enemy something something, after all." - The Music Industry :downs:

If anything record labels should be thanking us :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Wah fuckin wah. I made a living in a band for ten plus years, and we were excited and flattered the first time we saw our poo poo being pirated. You make your house payments off live shows and record sales are just a fringe benefit. Bitching about torrents is for lazy greedy bitches who don't want to get off their asses and work for a living. And for studio musicians. gently caress those guys.

• Locked thread