Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

(credit goes to SpiderHyphenMan for the title)

:siren:The first three episodes of Book 3 air from 7:00-8:30PM EDT Friday, June 27.:siren:

SpiderHyphenMan opted out of making the thread this year, so as part of my dark ritual to gain power by being the OP of all the worst TVIV threads, I stepped up. For those of you who are just now hearing about it, this latest season of everyone's favorite children's television program is getting dumped on us rather unceremoniously, likely due to huge leaks (four episodes, in Spanish!). They're airing three episodes tomorrow (and none the week after to compensate) and only announced it a week ago. So sudden was this I couldn't even find a good promo pic for this season because there weren't any.

If you missed last season, let me bring you up to speed:
  • Korra continued her streak of being a brash idiot
  • Mako was the bestest police officer there ever was
  • Bolin was a creep
  • Asami was... present?
  • Lin got hit with the idiot stick
  • John Michael Higgins was The Best Character
  • Evil Waterbender 2.0
  • Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
  • Jinora did A Thing
  • DARK AVATAR
  • Amnesia shenanigans
  • Mako and Asami got back together, because everyone loves Mako
  • Shameless Iroh pandering
  • Korra combined the spirit world and the real world which is better because ???
  • A pretty good two-parter which the titular character was almost totally absent from
  • Studio Pierrot filled in for the middle of the season when Studio Mir left to work on The Boondocks. Let's see how they did:

For some reason, Pierrot isn't working on this season. Huh.

All joking aside, I wasn't too hot on last season. I'm honestly pretty zen about this next one, though. I haven't watched any of the leaks, so all I've seen of this season is the one trailer they put out two weeks ago. That trailer is beautiful, but I'm not too sure about some of the directions they seem to be taking the story. I'm gonna keep my optimism cutious for now because this show has burned me before. I'm not going to bother getting excited but I'll at least remain open to the prospect.

:siren:Holy poo poo Platinum's making a Korra action game!:siren:

Finally, I'm sorry Deadpool, and greetings ADTRW!

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I am so disappointed in you.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
In some countries this would be considered a War Crime.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deadpool posted:

I am so disappointed in you.

Not as disappointed as I am in myself.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

gently caress you MrA

We were bros

How

why

you...why?!

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Thread created by Studio Pierrot

:v

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm also cautiously optimistic even though I wasn't really that negative on season 2. Then again I can take a lot of stupid poo poo and enjoy it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Already warming up my bitching muscles for when this show fails to explore the social and political implications of whatever the gently caress

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm just curious, what was the consensus on the first season? Because I thought it was pretty good overall :shobon:

You're totally right about the second season being terrible though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Isn't it kind of a "thing" in TV where usually the first season is good or "okay", followed by a crap second season, and then things pick up again in the third and so on?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rev3's hands-on impressions. No gameplay footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCmd5-SGuoA

Turns out you switch bending styles with the triggers.

edit: of the game that's due out, obviously

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

MrAristocrates posted:

Not as disappointed as I am in myself.

Did you do this to spite me? First you instigated this lovely avatar (huh), now you've ninjaed my ramble. Bastard! I'm on to you. Your insidious ploy failed. In my rage I actually found something succint I wrote a while back about this show. I've avoided spoilers so this poo poo is probably garbage, but I need to get the last of my questions and story ideas out of the way before this season fixates on what should be a bplot. (Airbender nation building)

quote:

I think we've been neglecting the Buddhist elements of this show. Maybe the meditating monkey from the old series wasn't bullshitting. The link below bears striking similarity to the spirit tea party in korra book two. This would make Jinora's arc less of a cop out and more of a set-up for her to be a Guanyin (female bodhisatva of love and poo poo) quest giver/c plot mentor to Korra. (Korra's a shonen type character so she can't be perfect)

http://books.google.com/books?id=I1...ampbell feast of the peaches&output=html_text

http://books.google.com/books?id=I1...ampbell feast of the peaches&output=html_text

In case the Link is down, I'll say that the tea party is a moment of timeless eternity, and Korra's imbalance and ignorance distorts that continuance.

I'm pretty sure this hope is about to be dashed.

Ps. We should probably find a goon who can read chinese.

Pps. I'm joking; don't report this.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 27, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sithsaber posted:

Did you do this to spite me? First you instigated this lovely avatar (huh), now you've ninjaed my ramble. Bastard! I'm on to you. Your insidious ploy failed.

Holy poo poo, this made it all worth it.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

MrAristocrates posted:

Holy poo poo, this made it all worth it.

How dare you. HOW DARE YOU!!!

Yes I'm joking.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Already shaping up to be a great thread in the tradition of so many other great Avatar threads.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Props on the thread tag, and ahaha FREE AT LAST!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
You just have to understand the beat of 21st century fandom:

1.) Order the same dinner you had last time.
2.) See the garnish is slightly askew.
3.) Throw food on floor, stomp up and down on it.
4.) Take steaming poo poo on plate.
5.) Send back to kitchen, saying the chef should be fired because your meal was squashed and smells bad.

Myself, I'm glad it looks like the more glaring flaws of the last season are over, and looks like there's more coming of the stuff I loved.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Killer robot posted:

You just have to understand the beat of 21st century fandom:

1.) Order the same dinner you had last time.
2.) See the garnish is slightly askew.
3.) Throw food on floor, stomp up and down on it.
4.) Take steaming poo poo on plate.
5.) Send back to kitchen, saying the chef should be fired because your meal was squashed and smells bad.

Myself, I'm glad it looks like the more glaring flaws of the last season are over, and looks like there's more coming of the stuff I loved.

A better analogy would be if I ordered a triple cheese burrito but only got a tortilla mixed with sand. The show always seems to build up to something it can't quite deliver.

Ps. And I'm pissed about the leaks. It felt so good when I spewed out the told you Sos when Varick went bad. I would have won a metal if Jinora got to be the dark avatar instead of whatever out of left field inherent tao force she is now. (Or she's just a really good airbender, which is even more stupid)

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 27, 2014

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
OP needs character bios. Here, use these finely crafted portraits:

:effort:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
^^^ You forgot one.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jackard posted:

^^^ You forgot one.

"Help, the amount of face(time) allotted to me is way too big."

Actually, disregard that, Mako's sections were my favorite in season two. Fuk u, Wan, you can go suck Vaatu's tail thing. Six-toe Ping 4 lyfe.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Season 2 is salvageable thanks to the Wan story.

:eyepop:

Totally erased the Pierrot chapters from my mind.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Season 2 had both the best and the worst episodes of the entire franchise, and the bad ones mattered more. But it ended with a sequel hook better than the entire premise of the first season, which I liked a lot, so I think that some optimism is warranted.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The second season also ended with Korra turning into a blue Gatorade giant which was awful for the fact they pulled that resolution out of their rear end.

I'll admit though that it was kind of awesome for the fight scene that followed it.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Golden Goat posted:

The second season also ended with Korra turning into a blue Gatorade giant which was awful for the fact they pulled that resolution out of their rear end.

I'll admit though that it was kind of awesome for the fight scene that followed it.

This series has a problem with deus ex machina, but I've almost numbed myself to this and just lie back for the fun kaiju fights with heart-wrenching music at the end of every book.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Golden Goat posted:

No worse than energy bending.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

computer parts posted:

I always saw Energy Bending as an extension of Aang's ability to send his spirit into the Spirit World, so at the time it made a ton of sense to me. I do feel like it would've greatly benefited from Aang's time on the island being explored more in the series rather than the online game, and maybe even having the Wan flashbacks then, with some changes to make them relevant to Aangs story.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

computer parts posted:

At this point i'm looking forward to whatever ridiculous deus ex machina in this season. I am prepared for this.

It's just crazy that they did this three times now.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Yes indeed

Probably because I'm the most naïve sucker, I'm actually kind of excited about the premier today.

Surprising, because Season 2 left me feeling really numb. It was the deus ex machina combined with the fact that I still don't care about any of the characters.

Is it unpopular to say that I really loving hate Bumi? I think manchildren can potentially be funny, but he sure as poo poo isn't. And according to the preview, he's doing more of the same childlike poo poo, and his voice actor has the same gratingly awkward cadence. I don't blame Tenzin for being a fuddy-duddy who barely tolerates him, I'd probably be the same way.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wildeyes posted:

Is it unpopular to say that I really loving hate Bumi? I think manchildren can potentially be funny, but he sure as poo poo isn't. And according to the preview, he's doing more of the same childlike poo poo, and his voice actor has the same gratingly awkward cadence. I don't blame Tenzin for being a fuddy-duddy who barely tolerates him, I'd probably be the same way.

Bumi is annoying but I'll honestly say my favorite line from him was this. The link is a spoiler by the way incase you're still going though the second season.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's still possible to redeem Korra as a character. I just don't see her doing anything interesting with any of the current characters aside from Tenzin and Lin.

Just nuke Mako and Bolin from space already.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
At the risk of sounding like I am jumping on the hate bandwagon, I don't actually think the last airbender was all that great either, all in all. It coasts a lot on its second season, which was absolutely stellar, but season one was pretty standard adventure cartoon, in no way bad, but also not incredible good. Season three, in my opinion, was a complete mess and all over the place.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
I think Mako could potentially be redeemed, but they really demolished Bolin's likeability in S2.

It's the same problem with Bumi -- they go way, way too far in trying to make these characters lovable idiots, to the point where they're too impossibly stupid to fit into a dramatic plot.

Sokka was a goofball, but he was quite smart, and he switched to responsible-big-brother mode often enough.

It's hard for me to believe the creators suddenly forgot how to write good characters. I kind of want to blame the fact that they were going for a darker story with a slightly older cast, but I think a lot of it is -- as others have said -- the seasons are so short that they don't have enough time to draw out characters.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Wow, I had always thought the bitching about the studios was dumb goonspeak, but wowowowowowoww, that's just bad man.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

e X posted:

At the risk of sounding like I am jumping on the hate bandwagon, I don't actually think the last airbender was all that great either, all in all. It coasts a lot on its second season, which was absolutely stellar, but season one was pretty standard adventure cartoon, in no way bad, but also not incredible good. Season three, in my opinion, was a complete mess and all over the place.
It makes for a good show, if you binge it, though.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I actually really, really enjoyed Book 2 and thought it was better than the first in some ways, though admittedly I did binge watch it. Might've been different if I'd watched week-to-week. But yeah, bring on Book 3!

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Book 1 was stupid in that if the creators thought they were only getting one season, I don't know why they would ever bother telling such an unimportant story. Book 2 at least had Avatar Wan's story, which is the best thing to come out of the show.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Psycho Mantits posted:

I actually really, really enjoyed Book 2 and thought it was better than the first in some ways, though admittedly I did binge watch it. Might've been different if I'd watched week-to-week. But yeah, bring on Book 3!

Yeah, I'm honestly still trying to decide if I'm going to watch Book 3 live or wait and binge on it like Book 2. I think the reason I enjoyed Book 2 so much is because I binged, and if I hadn't I would have been a lot less happy with how it played out. That said, I still like LoK more than AtLA, to the extent I've pretty much had zero interest in rewatching the latter since the former started.

AshB posted:

Book 1 was stupid in that if the creators thought they were only getting one season, I don't know why they would ever bother telling such an unimportant story. Book 2 at least had Avatar Wan's story, which is the best thing to come out of the show.

I'm pretty sure they knew they were getting more than one season almost immediately? As I remember it, they were given two seasons originally and that was quickly expanded to four.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Wildeyes posted:

Yes indeed

Wow ok, now I get it. drat that is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Wildeyes posted:

Yes indeed
Wait, the right half is a shot from the game, not S2 right? How do I not remember it being that awful?

• Locked thread