Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm fairly certain that the draft clip of Bruno showed him looking down when he was dribbling the ball like a 1950s point guard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Keep in mind that's normal in the D-League.

Yeah, but Pierre is kind of special in that he is immanently coachable on offense, but the complete opposite on defense. He apparently makes no effort at all. Like, it's not a skill or ability thing. He just doesn't care about it and has no desire to put any energy into that side of the floor.

Still a fantastic offensive player for his size, though. I'm not sure how good of a finisher at the rim he is, but the man can shoot.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
Looks like the thunder picked up 2 future all nba players. Good job Presti

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

double sulk posted:

Almost everyone calling into WIP loving hates the Sixers' draft and are calling it a catastrophe, so it's probably the best draft they've ever had.

No. The Apocalypse is nigh. WIP and/or its callers being right is one of the signs.

This was a terrible draft for the 76ers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Every time you worry about the sixers draft watch DX's draft profile of Embiid.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This was a terrible draft for the 76ers.

Please expand.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
gently caress Joe Dumars and Ben Gordon.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

James Young at 17 seems like a really good pick. Last night they compared him to Mo-Pete and I'd be pretty happy if Young ended up having a comparable career. I'm a lot less happy with the Marcus Smart pick. He could pan out if he learned to shoot but that's something everyone says about everyone who busts, so that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. The Celtics have already come out and said that they think Smart and Rondo can play alongside each other in the same backcourt. We'll see about that; at this point I think the Celtics should probably jump at the first not terrible offer they get for Rondo.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

double sulk posted:

Almost everyone calling into WIP loving hates the Sixers' draft and are calling it a catastrophe, so it's probably the best draft they've ever had.

Didn't they hate last year's draft too which turned out to be pretty drat excellent, given the overall quality? Although I guess we'll still have to wait to how Noel plays.

They got Embiid, Saric, traded a ten pick for a future first rounder and second rounder, all of which seems real good or even incredible and an absolute steal if Embiid recovers fully? Saric is a crafty dude.

Also your first pick practically nodded off into an opium haze in front of the cameras hah what a lightweight

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Embiid will have a 10 point, 14 rebound, 4 block game in February and everyone will have forgotten how much they hated the Sixers draft.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Anyhow I was thrilled with the Knicks move, lost two players who looked like they were dying all last season and went from having no picks to grabbing up my personal favorite out of the draft's top funny names. 2014 list:

1. Cleanthony Early
2. Bogdan Bogdanovic
3. P.J. Hairston

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
The Thunder drafted:

Mitch McGary PF, Michigan: An offensive-minded Cole Aldrich lookalike who also has a bad back. By most accounts he would've been available at 29, but Presti promised him at 21 to keep the rest of the league from experiencing Mitch McGary in private workouts. I watched his highlights and his only discernible skill appears to be finishing pick and rolls. People began anointing him the next Nick Collison last night, but this dude doesn't appear to play defense so I'm not sure about that. I don't like his face, and I doubt he'll play for the Thunder this year.

Josh Huestis SF, Stanford: A 3 and D wing with no 3 (shot 32% from distance in college, yikes). In the same mold as Thabo Sefoloshoa, who is gone, and Andre Roberson, who sucks. I think Andre Roberson's jumper may be busted and unfixable to the point of being useless, so this guy seems to be hedging for that, except he can't shoot at all either right now. However, Huestis' stroke actually looks decent, so maybe he could improve over the course of a few years. Won't play for the Thunder this year, maybe next year if Lamb, Roberson, and Jones are all disasters in 2014. Was supposed to be available well into the 2nd, so this was apparently a bad value. He also has excellent hair. I like this dude.

Semaj Christon PG, Xavier: Strong name, but not as strong as previous second rounders under Presti (Magnum Rolle).

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

EvanTH posted:

Didn't they hate last year's draft too which turned out to be pretty drat excellent, given the overall quality? Although I guess we'll still have to wait to how Noel plays.

They got Embiid, Saric, traded a ten pick for a future first rounder and second rounder, all of which seems real good or even incredible and an absolute steal if Embiid recovers fully? Saric is a crafty dude.

Also your first pick practically nodded off into an opium haze in front of the cameras hah what a lightweight

I think that its just really disappointing as a fan to have to look so far into the future for things to start panning out, especially since the Sixers havn't been good in such a long time.

I understand each choice that the organization made but it doesn't mean I like them on the fan level....

Embiid has a big upside but his injury history makes me think he's gonna flare out like Oden, but at least we aren't paying him what we did Bynum.

The Payton for Saric move was pretty brilliant considering my dreams were crushed once Stauskas went 8th to the Kings.

Your 2017 Atlantic Division Champion Philadelphia 76ers! :rolleyes:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I thought McGary was a real bad pick and I don't think his 4 good tournament games are indicative of how he will handle himself in the NBA.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Will James McAdoo ever play in the NBA?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I loved the Knicks first round pick.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chris de Sperg posted:

Will James McAdoo ever play in the NBA?

Probably not. He's a good athlete but he doesn't have a real position or any NBA level skill.

I'm not super high on Saric and kind of doubt he's ever going to even come over, but I like the Sixers draft otherwise. I think Embiid's a bigger risk than people here are treating him as, but it's probably worth it since there was a decent drop between him and the next tier. They nabbed a bunch of good value guys in the second too. But at some point they're going to add a player who can, ya know, shoot the basketball, right? That's kind of a big deal, and they didn't draft anyone who is any good at it.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 27, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yuzenn posted:

I think that its just really disappointing as a fan to have to look so far into the future for things to start panning out, especially since the Sixers havn't been good in such a long time.

The Sixers were in the eastern conference semis in 2012. That was only 2 years ago, and they are more than halfway through their rebuild.

The Tank worked. They got Embiid.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Yuzenn posted:

Your 2017 Atlantic Division Champion Philadelphia 76ers! :rolleyes:

Maybe even 2016!

Apparently Dario Saric might be able to go to Philly after one year. He has to work something out with the team in Turkey, though. Saric + Vasilije Micic + Arselan Kazemi coming over next year would be pretty sweet.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

Embiid will have a 10 point, 14 rebound, 4 block game in February and everyone will have forgotten how much they hated the Sixers draft.

I thought he was projected to be out most, if not all, of the season due to his surgeries?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I heard that he'd be out until around January, but maybe the Sixers should sit him like they did Noel. Then they can have the rookie of the year four years in a row. MCW last season, Noel this season, Embiid next season, and Saric in 2017.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kibner posted:

I thought he was projected to be out most, if not all, of the season due to his surgeries?

No one knows, but 6 months is the max I have seen. Which is 4 months to heal plus 2 months to get in game shape.

I think people think he will sit out all year because the Sixers want to tank again. Maybe.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

EvanTH posted:

I thought McGary was a real bad pick and I don't think his 4 good tournament games are indicative of how he will handle himself in the NBA.

This compounded by the fact that the Thunder could've had the Brazilian Kevin Durant if they picked one slot earlier..it's a tough pill to swallow.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really liked Cleanthony Early whenever I saw him play and we got an alphabet soup brother too.

A+ draft

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

No one knows, but 6 months is the max I have seen. Which is 4 months to heal plus 2 months to get in game shape.

I think people think he will sit out all year because the Sixers want to tank again. Maybe.

I'm fine with letting him sit the season out if it lets him get 110% healthy. This season doesn't loving matter and the Sixers are clearly going for a from the ground up rebuild opposed to snagging any big free agents. I'll be happy to see Noel play this season along and if it helps MCW develop his game further by having one less garbageman on the court.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Noel was a little different. He has a different injury, he was too skinny, and his jump shot was broken. Embiid's injury is different, he does not really need to gain weight (maybe muscle but he is only 20 there is plenty of time), and his jump shot looks ok.

Also there was still a good shot Noel was going to play this year. He thought he was and he was ready to go by the end of March.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Terry Glenn posted:

The Thunder drafted:

Mitch McGary PF, Michigan: An offensive-minded Cole Aldrich lookalike who also has a bad back. By most accounts he would've been available at 29, but Presti promised him at 21 to keep the rest of the league from experiencing Mitch McGary in private workouts. I watched his highlights and his only discernible skill appears to be finishing pick and rolls. People began anointing him the next Nick Collison last night, but this dude doesn't appear to play defense so I'm not sure about that. I don't like his face, and I doubt he'll play for the Thunder this year.

McGary is a strong rebounder and he's fantastic on the pick and roll. People went crazy over him after the tournament last year and his stock was never going to be higher. I don't know why he went back to school. The Collison comparison isn't entirely true. He's not really much of a defender. He'll probably be a bit of a garbage player to start with but he can knock a jumper down from 15 feet and in, he's a good high-low passer for a big guy, and he's a banger

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Durant is the new Dirk in that any player compared to him will inevitably be loving horrible. All it takes is being a tall skinny dude who jacks up a lot of threes. You don't even need to make them, just shoot a lot.

I haven't seen anyt evidence that McGary can do much of anything offensive aside from get hustle points off offensive boards and finish as a roll guy.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 27, 2014

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i love bruno caboclo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mynameisjohn posted:

i love bruno caboclo

I sincerely hope he destroys the league

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Terry Glenn posted:

This compounded by the fact that the Thunder could've had the Brazilian Kevin Durant if they picked one slot earlier..it's a tough pill to swallow.

Hmm, probably getting trolled here but I'll bite--particle physics tells us that it is unconscionably dangerous to put both Kevin Durant and Brazilian Kevin Durant in the same practice space. It could violate causality and destroy time itself. The shotclock becomes irrelevant, teams play for possession, KD+BKD's offensive talents are neutralized and basketball games end 12-7

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

I sincerely hope he destroys the league

Me too. We should all be rooting for Bruno IMO.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

BIZORT posted:

McGary is a strong rebounder and he's fantastic on the pick and roll. People went crazy over him after the tournament last year and his stock was never going to be higher. I don't know why he went back to school. The Collison comparison isn't entirely true. He's not really much of a defender. He'll probably be a bit of a garbage player to start with but he can knock a jumper down from 15 feet and in, he's a good high-low passer for a big guy, and he's a banger

Thanks for this little write-up. Apparently Charlotte was trying to move up and grab him at 22 (one McRoberts is not enough for them), so I guess I understand why Presti knew it had to be McGary at 21 if they were going to get him.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Wait, the Spurs got Kyle Anderson...

Did everyone seriously let the closest thing to a Boris Diaw impersonator fall to the only team that has found a way for Boris Diaw to look like a an all-star at times?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Welcome to the Spurs Draft Experience.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
To be fair, Diaw looked like a borderline All-Star in Phoenix too. San Antonio didn't magically inject him with the ability to pass the ball.

"Two years away from being two years away" is my new favorite term to describe a dude who has no idea how to play basketball but gets drafted anyway.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

EvanTH posted:

Hmm, probably getting trolled here but I'll bite--particle physics tells us that it is unconscionably dangerous to put both Kevin Durant and Brazilian Kevin Durant in the same practice space. It could violate causality and destroy time itself. The shotclock becomes irrelevant, teams play for possession, KD+BKD's offensive talents are neutralized and basketball games end 12-7

Physics be damned, any time you have the chance to add a Kevin Durant, I don't care if it's Brazilian Kevin Durant, Bizarro Kevin Durant, Finnish Kevin Durant, or whatever, you do it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TheGreyGhost posted:

Wait, the Spurs got Kyle Anderson...

Did everyone seriously let the closest thing to a Boris Diaw impersonator fall to the only team that has found a way for Boris Diaw to look like a an all-star at times?

If you think this is true, then it's the right decision. You don't draft a guy who doesn't work for you just so the team he works for can't take him. Spite drafting is stupid, you build the best team you can and trust it's better than the other ones. Of course, Diaw was great for the Suns and pretty good in Charlotte after he lost lockout hibernation fat, so if that's who you think Anderson is then he should probably have gone a lot earlier. But Anderson doesn't have Diaw's athleticism or his bulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
So the Timberwolves drafted like their 9th point guard in the last 5 years. Anyone want to tell me about this guy? I hadn't heard much of him leading up to the draft.

• Locked thread