Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What does the market have to do with OKC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jota posted:

A whole lot of people liked the Harden pick and thought he was going to go around there but I agree with you about Westbrook, Ibaka, and the others.

That's fair. I guess at the time of the draft no one really hated on the Harden one too much, but for a couple years after he was getting killed for it. But that was mostly because Curry wound up being so good and it took Harden a few years to get going.

euphronius posted:

Presumably it limits how much revenue they can bring in from local TV and how much their owners are willing to spend.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

If they were in a bigger market the owner might have been more willing to go into the luxury tax and keep both Harden and Ibaka

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
The Thunder have been surprisingly profitable for Bennett and his crew since the move. The TV deal is peanuts, but they've made plenty off the team thus far. I read last year that the Thunder were one of the most expensive tickets in the country, despite Oklahoma's relatively small economy. They just don't give a poo poo. It's always been about the civic pride of having a professional sports team in Oklahoma for them. All right, enough making GBS threads up this thread with my whining. Nik Stauskas is gonna be awesome, all haters vacate.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

Well, he didn't? Durant was a no-brainer, but Westbrook and Harden weren't expected to go as high as they did (and were widely panned at the time), and Ibaka was a late first rounder. Steven Adams last year seems like a solid pick. Reggie Jackson was a good find where they got him. Seems like he's pretty dang good at the draft. I don't love the McGary pick but in general it seems like most of his issues as a GM come from salary restrictions placed on him by ownership.

What specifically about McGary makes you not the love the pick. I know absolutely nothing about him and would like to know

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

What specifically about McGary makes you not the love the pick. I know absolutely nothing about him and would like to know

Mostly that I think there were better players still on the board who could have helped them more. I don't think his skillset is that hard to find either. At the NBA level he's not going to be more than a hustle guy off the bench.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Jota posted:

If they were in a bigger market the owner might have been more willing to go into the luxury tax and keep both Harden and Ibaka

I get that nobody wants to lose money, but if you're a billion dollars rich guy who owns a team that has Durant, Westbrook and Harden, you should be willing to pay a bit of luxury tax considering you were so close to a championship*, and the whole ownership thing was a luxury to begin with anyway. *also hire a better coach*

The whole small market, big market thing feels like an excuse and blame shifting onto the community and fans. All these non-spending small market teams are using the same tactics that made Sterling so horrible for so long.

edit: For the CLippers, at least toward the end Sterling got senile and opened up his wallet and let the basketball guys make good decisions.

Terry Glenn posted:

The Thunder have been surprisingly profitable for Bennett and his crew since the move. The TV deal is peanuts, but they've made plenty off the team thus far. I read last year that the Thunder were one of the most expensive tickets in the country, despite Oklahoma's relatively small economy. They just don't give a poo poo. It's always been about the civic pride of having a professional sports team in Oklahoma for them. All right, enough making GBS threads up this thread with my whining. Nik Stauskas is gonna be awesome, all haters vacate.

That hits the nail on the head.

danucleus fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 27, 2014

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

Mostly that I think there were better players still on the board who could have helped them more. I don't think his skillset is that hard to find either. At the NBA level he's not going to be more than a hustle guy off the bench.

well can't have good drafts all the time i suppose. hope huestis is good

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Khem Birch and Roscoe Smith weren't drafted
Raptors picked Bruno Caboclo

I don't like the NBA Draft at all :(

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

The Kings were 27th in 3pt shooting and if you think Stauskas is the same guy as Jimmer than I don't know what to tell you.

And oh no they drafted a guy 5 spots too "early". Because we all know pre-draft mocks are basically how the post-draft rankings shake out.

I would have preferred Vonleh over him, but looking at everyone else on the board and given the Kings needs I don't see the big deal

I don't think anybody was even interested in the guy where they drafted him, so you'd think they were drafting for need. But uh, bad news if you think Stauskas will improve that #27 ranking too much: Thomas and Gay and McLemore still play for the Sacramento Kings, for now, anyway. It's not a "big deal," but it's a small market team drafting a role player in a draft full of guys that could be starters. There were better players on the board according to most every projection, and if that's not what the Kings wanted, they should've traded down and maybe tried to get rid of some of their dead weight.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lessail posted:

Khem Birch and Roscoe Smith weren't drafted
Raptors picked Bruno Caboclo

I don't like the NBA Draft at all :(

I really like Birch, I surpised one of the more analytically inclined teams didn't grab him.

laz0rbeak posted:

I don't think anybody was even interested in the guy where they drafted him, so you'd think they were drafting for need.

That was about the range where he was going to go. The Hornets picked right after and they reportedly loved him. It wasn't a big reach at all, and he wouldn't have been on the board if they'd traded down. And I would guess he takes a lot of McLemore's minutes. Teams really shouldn't be making long term decisions based on who they picked last year, that was a historically awful draft.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 27, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Marcus Smart's impending bust is gonna own.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
edit wrong thread

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y2wOnCXHV8M

I think that is from being shocked but if it isn't it's still valid none the less

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Marcus Smart's impending bust is gonna own.

Of the top 12 or so players this pick stood out to me as the most :stonklol:

also Aaron Gordon

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

laz0rbeak posted:

I don't think anybody was even interested in the guy where they drafted him, so you'd think they were drafting for need. But uh, bad news if you think Stauskas will improve that #27 ranking too much: Thomas and Gay and McLemore still play for the Sacramento Kings, for now, anyway. It's not a "big deal," but it's a small market team drafting a role player in a draft full of guys that could be starters. There were better players on the board according to most every projection, and if that's not what the Kings wanted, they should've traded down and maybe tried to get rid of some of their dead weight.

Even if McLemore turns into an actual NBA player next season (and I am hopeful he is), McLemore and Thomas are just two guards in the rotation. They need more guard depth and you easily can split the SG duties between the two guys. That's not even getting into 3 guard line-ups that Malone seems interested in trotting out around Cousins. There wasn't a single player you could take that wouldn't have the same "but they already have <x>!" argument. The Kings are a bad team so they can't afford to get picky about which talent they get. Again, don't love the pick over Vonleh but he fills a huge need (3pt shooting and our SG rotation being a dumpster fire) and was the BPA. I can't fault the thinking

The Kings explored every trade down scenario possible and none of them were palatable. Charlotte easily could have taken him instead and it's puzzling you're sticking so hard to pre-draft projections like it actually reflects what teams were thinking despite Aaron Gordon going #4 being huge evidence to the contrary.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 27, 2014

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Even if McLemore turns into an actual NBA player next season (and I am hopeful he is), McLemore and Thomas are just two guards in the rotation. They need more guard depth and you easily can split the SG duties between the two guys. That's not even getting into 3 guard line-ups that Malone seems interested in trotting out around Cousins. There wasn't a single player you could take that wouldn't have the same "but they already have <x>!" argument. The Kings are a bad team so they can't afford to get picky about which talent they get. Again, don't love the pick over Vonleh but he fills a huge need (3pt shooting and our SG rotation being a dumpster fire) and was the BPA. I can't fault the thinking

The Kings explored every trade down scenario possible and none of them were palatable. Charlotte easily could have taken him instead and it's puzzling you're sticking so hard to pre-draft projections like it actually reflects what teams were thinking despite Aaron Gordon going #4 being huge evidence to the contrary.

We agree, the Kings are bad. That's why I think they probably should've gotten a guy that could be a starter on a passable NBA team? And that's also why I pointed out other examples of them doing dumb-dumb things in a similar vein?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Inside Outside posted:

James Young at 17 seems like a really good pick. Last night they compared him to Mo-Pete and I'd be pretty happy if Young ended up having a comparable career. I'm a lot less happy with the Marcus Smart pick. He could pan out if he learned to shoot but that's something everyone says about everyone who busts, so that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. The Celtics have already come out and said that they think Smart and Rondo can play alongside each other in the same backcourt. We'll see about that; at this point I think the Celtics should probably jump at the first not terrible offer they get for Rondo.

Who would they have picked instead of Smart? Smart would have gone #1 last year and this year by draft night was being forecasted as high as #4 at Orlando on draft boards. I think it's a great pick at 6. And Boston, who's logjammed at the 4 already, only missed out on Paul Millsap 2.0 unless one of the players drafted after 7 turn into a superstar, which would be impossible to predict really. Plus now they can trade an almost 30 year old Rondo for more assets.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Who would they have picked instead of Smart? Smart would have gone #1 last year and this year by draft night was being forecasted as high as #4 at Orlando on draft boards.

The only team that would have picked him first last year was Orlando and going first in the worst draft in NBA history isn't that meaningful anyway. Anthony Bennett actually went first, should they have traded the #6 pick for him?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 27, 2014

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MourningView posted:

The only team that would have picked him first last year was Orlando and going first in the worst draft in NBA history isn't that meaningful anyway. Anthony Bennett actually went first, should they have traded the #6 pick for him?

Still not hearing any actual alternatives who would be way better than Smart at #6.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

laz0rbeak posted:

We agree, the Kings are bad. That's why I think they probably should've gotten a guy that could be a starter on a passable NBA team? And that's also why I pointed out other examples of them doing dumb-dumb things in a similar vein?

All you seem to disagree on is whether Stauskas is a good player or not relative to his draft position. Projections ultimately mean nothing and you seem to think that 5 spots on pre-mock rankings actually is a big deal. And he may already be better than McLemore so he can absolutely start for us.

Your other examples is just pointing at Jimmer, and Stauskas is not Jimmer. Most people who have watched enough of Stauskas seem to agree he's not Jimmer. Hell, Malone has been gushing over Stauskas non-stop and he hated Jimmer.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 27, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Still not hearing any actual alternatives who would be way better than Smart at #6.

I think Vonleh and Randle are both better prosect (and also fits most of the arguements you made for Smart) and it's not like they're loaded with great post players. I think there are a bunch of other guys who are better too, but if you just want people who were being projected in that range, those two.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I liked Randle, Vonleh, and McDermott. Stauskas and Warren were about equal to him in my mind.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Kibner posted:

McDermott. Stauskas and Warren were about equal to him in my mind.

Lol come on man.

EDIT: Celtics have a bunch of 4s.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Warren is just silly, but Stauskas and McDermott were both projected in that general area by plenty of people.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I never said I was a good evaluator of talent. I still think Austin Rivers can be a solid rotation player in a couple years!

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MourningView posted:

Warren is just silly, but Stauskas and McDermott were both projected in that general area by plenty of people.

Stauskus was projected outside the top 10, McDermott's ceiling was 8 to the Hornets, and Warren was "a projected first round pick".

Smart was projected top 5-6 almost exclusively.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Stauskus was projected outside the top 10, McDermott's ceiling was 8 to the Hornet

Stauskas was projected at various times to the Kings, Hornets, and Philly at 10 (and, ya know, actually got drafted at 8), so no. And the difference between 5-10 in this draft wasn't really seen as that big. They were all in that second tier of prospects behind Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, and to a lesser extent Exum.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Gordon, Smart, Randle, and Vonleh were projected be a tier above Stauskus/McDermott/Saric.

This is dumb.

I like Marcus Smart, I don't care what anyone says. :colbert: Advanced metrics love him, he's passionate about the game, he's intelligent, he's big for his position and he plays D.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 28, 2014

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

At the very least the Celtics probably could've traded down a couple spots and still gotten Smart.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Holding projections as hard rankings is stupid. It's like no one bothers to go back and compare pre-draft rankings with where players end up. Or realizes that the people publishing projections don't actually work for any of the teams making decisions. There is a whole world of difference between drafting from "a tier below"/a couple of spots too high and with drafting a Brazilian guy that no one has heard of

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

he's intelligent

What makes you think that? He stayed in school instead of being a top pick last year, he takes dumb shots quite frequently, and he got into a confrontation with a fan.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Alessandro Gentile named Serie A Finals MVP, I dub him the Italian Kobe having watched part of that game. Actually he does seem like a good wing offensively; clever, nice release and he moves well off the ball.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Papes posted:

What makes you think that? He stayed in school instead of being a top pick last year, he takes dumb shots quite frequently, and he got into a confrontation with a fan.

Uh it's in his friggin last name dude

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Inside Outside posted:

At the very least the Celtics probably could've traded down a couple spots and still gotten Smart.

Lakers would have taken him at 7.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Papes posted:

By not coming out last year he managed to avoid playing for the Cleveland Cavaliers and he pushed some racist dude that told him to go back to Africa. All commendable traits.

Plus analytics loves him since he's got a high steal rate and rebounds a shitload which apparently all translate well to the NBA game. And while he can't shoot that well now, you can teach someone to shoot but harder to teach them aggressiveness/ability to draw contact in the paint I think.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
To gratuitously steal and paraphrase a facebook post I saw earlier today, I'm excited to wait 4-7 years for Wiggins, Staukus and Ennis to come to Toronto, make a big three and lead us into the golden age.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Adun posted:

And while he can't shoot that well now, you can teach someone to shoot

Not as often as you'd think

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

attackmole posted:

To gratuitously steal and paraphrase a facebook post I saw earlier today, I'm excited to wait 4-7 years for Wiggins, Staukus and Ennis to come to Toronto, make a big three and lead us into the golden age.

You forgot Anthony Bennett!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Jota posted:

Not as often as you'd think

Just hire the guy from the Spurs that fixed Parker and Leonard

• Locked thread