Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Raptor fans stop trying for to defend taking a guy who would have been a udfa otherwise on the first round, it makes you looks super dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chris de Sperg posted:

Will James McAdoo ever play in the NBA?

Probably not. He's a good athlete but he doesn't have a real position or any NBA level skill.

I'm not super high on Saric and kind of doubt he's ever going to even come over, but I like the Sixers draft otherwise. I think Embiid's a bigger risk than people here are treating him as, but it's probably worth it since there was a decent drop between him and the next tier. They nabbed a bunch of good value guys in the second too. But at some point they're going to add a player who can, ya know, shoot the basketball, right? That's kind of a big deal, and they didn't draft anyone who is any good at it.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 27, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Durant is the new Dirk in that any player compared to him will inevitably be loving horrible. All it takes is being a tall skinny dude who jacks up a lot of threes. You don't even need to make them, just shoot a lot.

I haven't seen anyt evidence that McGary can do much of anything offensive aside from get hustle points off offensive boards and finish as a roll guy.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 27, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Industrial posted:

So the Timberwolves drafted like their 9th point guard in the last 5 years. Anyone want to tell me about this guy? I hadn't heard much of him leading up to the draft.

He's not a point guard. Or a very good basketball player. He couldn't get on the court at all for UCLA towards the end of the year. He can jump real high though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can anybody give me reason to be excited about Spencer Dinwiddie? I know he was a very good player before getting injured, and our PG situation is kind of a mess, but I would've liked Cleanthony Early to slip just a few more spots.

He's really skilled. I don't think he's a point guard, but he has good SG size so he doesn't need to be. He has some passing ability but he looks to score rather than create for others. He can handle the ball well, knows how to get to the basket and either finish or draw a foul, and is a really good spot up shooter. He's not the most explosive athlete in the world and obviously you never know with the knee, but he was really good value where they got him. If he'd been healthy he'd have gone in the first round. I like him more than Early.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Someone reassure me about Jordan Adams because I didn't watch a UCLA game all season

He was a good college scorer and advanced metrics all love him, but he's a horrible athlete by NBA standards. Both of their picks screamed Hollinger.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

Thinking back on it, Clint Capela is a pretty weird pick for Morey. Young athletic project. Although I'll go ahead and assume his analytics are off the chart due to his efficiency. Anyway the Spurs wanted him so it's cool.

I think they wanted someone to stash in Europe so they didn't take on any more payroll.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HooverDam posted:

I'm still confused about the Suns pick of Tyler Ennis. I guess its protection for if Bledsoe leaves, but I don't see why thats necessary. If Bledsoe is gone, slide Goran back to the 1 and they have Archie Goodwin as a backup, and getting backup PGs isn't too terribly difficult. We heard all along that they wanted a wing shooter and they never took one, so perhaps that was all BS.

They probably correctly believe that Archie Goodwin is really bad and not a real point guard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sheriff posted:

What if Presti has actually been a terrible GM this entire time and has only kept it hidden because he won the lottery thrice??

Well, he didn't? Durant was a no-brainer, but Westbrook and Harden weren't expected to go as high as they did (and were widely panned at the time), and Ibaka was a late first rounder. Steven Adams last year seems like a solid pick. Reggie Jackson was a good find where they got him. Seems like he's pretty dang good at the draft. I don't love the McGary pick but in general it seems like most of his issues as a GM come from salary restrictions placed on him by ownership.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 27, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jota posted:

A whole lot of people liked the Harden pick and thought he was going to go around there but I agree with you about Westbrook, Ibaka, and the others.

That's fair. I guess at the time of the draft no one really hated on the Harden one too much, but for a couple years after he was getting killed for it. But that was mostly because Curry wound up being so good and it took Harden a few years to get going.

euphronius posted:

What does the market have to do with OKC.

Presumably it limits how much revenue they can bring in from local TV and how much their owners are willing to spend.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

What specifically about McGary makes you not the love the pick. I know absolutely nothing about him and would like to know

Mostly that I think there were better players still on the board who could have helped them more. I don't think his skillset is that hard to find either. At the NBA level he's not going to be more than a hustle guy off the bench.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lessail posted:

Khem Birch and Roscoe Smith weren't drafted
Raptors picked Bruno Caboclo

I don't like the NBA Draft at all :(

I really like Birch, I surpised one of the more analytically inclined teams didn't grab him.

laz0rbeak posted:

I don't think anybody was even interested in the guy where they drafted him, so you'd think they were drafting for need.

That was about the range where he was going to go. The Hornets picked right after and they reportedly loved him. It wasn't a big reach at all, and he wouldn't have been on the board if they'd traded down. And I would guess he takes a lot of McLemore's minutes. Teams really shouldn't be making long term decisions based on who they picked last year, that was a historically awful draft.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 27, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Who would they have picked instead of Smart? Smart would have gone #1 last year and this year by draft night was being forecasted as high as #4 at Orlando on draft boards.

The only team that would have picked him first last year was Orlando and going first in the worst draft in NBA history isn't that meaningful anyway. Anthony Bennett actually went first, should they have traded the #6 pick for him?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 27, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Still not hearing any actual alternatives who would be way better than Smart at #6.

I think Vonleh and Randle are both better prosect (and also fits most of the arguements you made for Smart) and it's not like they're loaded with great post players. I think there are a bunch of other guys who are better too, but if you just want people who were being projected in that range, those two.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Warren is just silly, but Stauskas and McDermott were both projected in that general area by plenty of people.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Stauskus was projected outside the top 10, McDermott's ceiling was 8 to the Hornet

Stauskas was projected at various times to the Kings, Hornets, and Philly at 10 (and, ya know, actually got drafted at 8), so no. And the difference between 5-10 in this draft wasn't really seen as that big. They were all in that second tier of prospects behind Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, and to a lesser extent Exum.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tae posted:

Wow, I haven't seen that name since like lottery mocks back in 2011. What happened to him?

He wasn't very good and didn't get better

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's the worst prospect of that group by a decent bit but I thoroughly enjoy Cliff Alexander's work

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 7, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I like the little bit I've seen of Okafor a whole bunch (he's like a tall Al Jefferson!) and that upsets me a lot because Duke. How is anyone in college guarding that guy? College is full of like 6'6" white centers who get to play because they're really good at boxing out. This is going to be bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It probably keeps him from going first (which I don't think was going to happen anyway) but he'll be okay. Even if he barely plays he won't be any more of an unknown than Exum, and he's a similar prospect in terms of playing style and tools. He'll be awesome in workouts. Maybe someone dings him for character stuff, I guess.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WEREWAIF posted:

Good for Emmanuel. Playing for Benneton Treviso is much better than hearing PLAY THE RIGHT WAY 180,000 times in your 1 year at SMU. Even if you just have to hear "Gioca la strada giusta!" in its stead

It's really not though, because he's not going to play at all. Those teams aren't ever going to make a serious effort to develop guys they know are only sticking around for a year.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 15, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WEREWAIF posted:

What if some rogue team had a plan to develop an American prospect, offer him more than a rookie scale contract, and hope he stays around for 5 or 6 years?

It'd be cool to see what happens. I would guess they'd still go to the NBA though in most cases. The long term earning potential there is higher, they wouldn't have to live in a strange foreign country where they don't speak the language (the people who are all "they should totally all go to Europe and get paid!!1" really undersell how hard this is to do as a 19 year old), and they've probably been dreaming of the NBA since they were in grade school. No one in the US grows up dreaming of being Euroleague MVP, they want to be like Jordan or LeBron.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think y'all seriously overestimate how much some kid from inner city LA or wherever wants to live in China or Turkey

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DeimosRising posted:

He will if he goes to China, they had no problems playing the guys who jumped during the lockout.

Well okay but it'll be China and no one will care.

And yeah as noted below there's a difference between playing a guy who can help you win right now and giving a lot of minutes to an extremely raw 19 year old who still has a lot of work to do on his game and isn't going to be there after a year. He can probably play in China, but it'll be because the Chinese league isn't very good, and that's its own issue when it comes to scouting him. He's not good enough right now that a good Euro team would play him.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 15, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

How much do these guys really develop during their one year in college? It's more about exposure than development

Right, and if they play on a Euro team they don't get any because they don't play at all.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

Hah c'mon y'all with these dudes the difference between age 17-19 is sometimes like 6 inches and 50 pounds let alone developments in the game. Showing visible development which outpaces your peers who're doing similar tasks is how you work your way up the draft board.

Unless the emphasis word there is College and you're talking about the miracle Kobe-style freaks who were/woulda-been drafted straight out of high school and may have been wasting their time in college compared to the benefit they would receive from practicing against players as close to NBA-levels of skill/athleticism as possible?

He and several other guys in this class would have been drafted straight out of high school.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If Exum can go in the lottery there's really no reason to think he won't unless he's absolutely awful overseas or gets himself into a bunch of trouble. They're similar prospects in a lot of ways and spending a year beating up on China is still more of a test than Exum had last year. It just probably kills any chance he had to go number 1 unless all the college guys way underwhelm.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

That's really stupid to combine both NBA projections (before the season starts) AND draft order projections, why don't they just rank talent? Is it fun to be doubly wrong?

He has just a ranking of top prospects too, but people are more likely to click on an actual mock draft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Igor Strelkov posted:

What do you guys think of Caris Levert?

If he gets better off the bounce he can be a lottery pick. He's already athletic and can shoot. He's going to see a lot more attention this year though.

• Locked thread