Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

maniacdevnull posted:

This a very problematic post.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i spot 3

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Blackula69 posted:

I was hanging with some girls recently and they were right chuffed when I put a password on their router

beforehand they were just turning it on when they wanted to use it and then turning it off

lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ur doing it wrong let me explain it for you

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oh noes!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im mailing that wndr3700 back, it's a piece of garbage with 3 feet wireless range and a penchant to spontaneously reboot

tried stock firmware, dd-wrt and some laughable thing called 'gargoyle'

so bad

anyways i flashed it back to stock, am returning it, and am buying a mikrotik for hausbus

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
mikrotik is sperg-tier but i dont blame u @ all and might end up doing something similar. didnt u say u liked the ubiquiti stuff? tryin to figure out how to get my house + backyard covered well

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PuTTY riot posted:

mikrotik is sperg-tier but i dont blame u @ all and might end up doing something similar. didnt u say u liked the ubiquiti stuff? tryin to figure out how to get my house + backyard covered well

Ubnt stuff owns for point to point links, idk how it performs as a general purpose ap

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that little nanostation does routing and dhcp and everything, technically i don't even need a router. but this should give me a fairly solid setup

i have to figure out how to get 24v poe to the ubiquiti from 12v input, if i do that, I can power the entire home network off of 12 volts with no AC power strips or inverters needed

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

im mailing that wndr3700 back, it's a piece of garbage with 3 feet wireless range and a penchant to spontaneously reboot

so bad

anyways i flashed it back to stock, am returning it, and am buying a mikrotik for hausbus

netgear is so bad. if you want a consumer router get a Linksys by cisco

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PuTTY riot posted:

it's definitely sperg tier and I set mine up with queuing and poo poo to share bandwidth between devices fairly

but even out of the box now they've finally made them a little more plug and play

the important thing is they're the same price as consumer routers but can actually properly handle the throughput/packet count you need for a modern broadband connection doing anything more than checkin email

but yes they're super spergy

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Captain Foo posted:

Ubnt stuff owns for point to point links, idk how it performs as a general purpose ap

gotta update firmware out of the. box or else spontaneous drop outs and reboots on pico range

but once it's going then 1.2km of average wireless

at least the airOS is usable for laymen like myself

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Shaggar posted:

I have a Cisco modem/router that needs rebooting every

single

fecking

day

I am going to get a new one once I put this house back together

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

Blackula69 posted:

I was hanging with some girls recently and they were right chuffed when I put a password on their router

beforehand they were just turning it on when they wanted to use it and then turning it off

shoulda negged them by changing their ssid to 'UglyGirlsNet'

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I have a Cisco modem/router that needs rebooting every

single

fecking

day

I am going to get a new one once I put this house back together

moo cow did you start remodeling the instant u got a new jorb?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
speaking of routers, oh boy, lemme tell you somethin about routers, wait till you getta load of this- so this girl, a friend of mine, texts me about her internet being really flaky and lovely and i write back "not now im busy at work and its world cup" and she says okay but says its really bad and she can barely connect to google or facebook and nothing loads except on her phone and i text her back "did you try to unplug your router and modem for a minute?" and then i didnt pay attention for a while but when i looked again she had texted me saying that did the trick. whew. crisis A-VERT-ED.

anyway that's a true story!!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Smythe posted:

moo cow did you start remodeling the instant u got a new jorb?

no, it took the council like a year to approve the plans because of new earthquake related regulations. yay.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sniep posted:

speaking of routers, oh boy, lemme tell you somethin about routers, wait till you getta load of this- so this girl, a friend of mine, texts me about her internet being really flaky and lovely and i write back "not now im busy at work and its world cup" and she says okay but says its really bad and she can barely connect to google or facebook and nothing loads except on her phone and i text her back "did you try to unplug your router and modem for a minute?" and then i didnt pay attention for a while but when i looked again she had texted me saying that did the trick. whew. crisis A-VERT-ED.

anyway that's a true story!!

i dont believe this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

no, it took the council like a year to approve the plans because of new earthquake related regulations. yay.

lol you don't even live in the same island as me and you STILL got owned by our earthquakes

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

1931 neva fogat

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQTu1n89pBM

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

When I clicked that I got an ad for some guy who does let's play videos

I never asked for this future

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jonny 290 posted:

so bad

usually netgear is ok but i wouldnt expect a stellar qc rate either. i guess you got one of the eggs

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Shaggar posted:

What do you think about belkin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i got given netcomm with my fibre install. its leagures better than the belkin i had. not hard to do. its amazing that things connect now

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

but if you want a good wireless and you have a little cash and you don't want to gently caress around the asus AC68U is amazing but don't get any of the other asus ones they are not amazing

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

okay i got one

now what?? my wireless still isnt working!!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

but if you want a good wireless and you have a little cash and you don't want to gently caress around the asus AC68U is amazing but don't get any of the other asus ones they are not amazing

i have an n56u and i can still get 80+ Mbps actual throughput over wireless, suits my needs

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

i got given netcomm with my fibre install. its leagures better than the belkin i had. not hard to do. its amazing that things connect now

shush :mad:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I work for an isp and its taking 6 months to get fibre to my building. My team is on 4G right now. We are in the CBD.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

just forget about getting fibre to my house

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
where doth you live

fibre is OK i GUESS. i mean. wow - such download? but now whjat

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

:justpost:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

auckland lol ofc. gotta have that fibre get some sick ping for jaming and w/e

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

where doth you live

go back to adsl 2

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

lol im just burbs chc and git fibes an no cap

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

go back to adsl 2

lol fibes was CHEAPER and they gave me a month free

honestly i wouldnt ahvent bothered oterhwise but yheah its nice being faster. its just that well, who caresd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobbilljim posted:

pro tip trucker bud. spplash out an get a av. that is when u know uve amde ite

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

honestly i wouldnt ahvent bothered oterhwise but yheah its nice being faster. its just that well, who caresd

so is it only faster for nz stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its faster for most things. generally can saturate it with most things. steam gets to 3.1BB/s

• Locked thread