Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
We've all got those shows, the ones you know you'd love if only you ever got around to watching them. Shows that everyone you know swears are awesome but you didn't get in on the ground floor and never jumped into despite their critical acclaim or TVIV popularity. Shows maybe a friend bugs you to watch every so often and you promise them you will, you just haven't yet. It's maybe even your dirty little secret you've been ashamed to admit in TVIV you haven't seen because how could you have not seen that yet?

Let's watch at least one of those shows this summer.

Everyone's "I need to watch this" show is different, and the amount of time we have to lay around marathoning TV is also different. So in this thread we're going to pick a show, then commit to watching X amount of it by the time summer is through.

So here's how this is going to work:
* Pick a show and post it in the thread.
* Post how far you plan to get in the show, generally, commit to watching X number of seasons. I'll keep track of everybody in the OP.
* Check in once every other week at a minimum and let us know how it's going.
* You can change your show twice in case you end up really hating your first pick. HOWEVER, you must still watch approximately the same number of hours of the second show as you picked for your first show. Going to watch a season of 20 episodes of an hour-long drama? (I know it's only 45 minutes or so but let's keep the math easy), then change your mind and want to watch a sitcom? You should pick a sitcom or two with at least 20 hours worth of content (40 episodes). But I'll make some rulings on a case by case basis. Oh, and you can subtract the number of hours you spent watching your first/second choices, too.

Completing your Toxx
The last day of summer is Monday, September 22nd, so you must have finished your commitment by, let's say 11:59 Pacific time to give everyone a few extra hours to squeak by on September 22nd.

This is mostly going by the honor code, but in order to at least bring some accountability, you should post a review of at least 100 words of what you watched. Just put a little effort into it.

I'll see about maybe getting a few title changes to lottery out amongst those who complete the challenge or something, but I'm not promising anything yet.

Other Stuff
* Please spoiler tag anything spoilery. Basic general impressions of the show don't need spoilers, but use common sense and use tags semi-liberally. Any really deep discussion of the show should go into the show's thread.
* I'm not going to put a time limit on when you can enter, if you're reading this September 16th and want to participate before the 23rd, post and go for it. This thread is just to hold each other accountable to finally watch something we've been meaning to watch.
* Feel free to ask for advice or suggestions on what to watch here.
* Pretty sure I can, and thus will, hand out a ban to anyone who doesn't check in after 3 weeks or hasn't posted their wrap-up post by September 22nd, midnight Pacific time. Just post in the thread if you're going on a long vacation and won't be able to check in at some point. If your only update is "haven't watched any in the last 2 weeks" that's fine too, it's just to make sure you didn't disappear. :)

Annnd... since this is my thing, I'll start it off.

I commit to watching at least the first three seasons of The West Wing before September 23rd.

THE LIST
* Comfy Chairs - One season of The Wire, one season of Sopranos
* Amy Renee - First three seasons of Community
* Ghosthotel - all of Six Feet Under
* Mechanical mandible - both seasons of House of Cards

COMPLETED
* Short Penguin - First 2 seasons of Vikings
* Cerepol - All of Game of Thrones and Arrow
* E PLURIBUS ANUS - Season 3 of Last Man Standing (I know you were being funny but IT STILL COUNTS! :D )
* AnimeJune - First season of Avatar: The Last Airbender *update* - first 3 seasons
* Island Nation - Spaced (Two seasons)
* Annakie - First 3 seasons of The West Wing *update* 4 seasons
* Tupping Liberty - Seasons 5 - 9 of Supernatural *edit* - changed to 5-8 + 1st season of Arrow
* Sober - Season 3 - the end of Farscape
* Ravane - First three seasons of Lost
* muscles like this? - First FIVE seasons of Supernatural
* MrAristocrates - Two seasons of Twin Peaks
* J-Spot - 5 seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. *Update* - First 8 seasons.
* Cockashocka - Seasons 3 - 6 of Malcolm in the Middle
* BSam - Season 1 of Arrow
* precision - Season 2 of Orange is the New Black.
* Doctor Butts - First season of Twin Peaks
* DivisionPost - First season of the Rockford Files on Netflix
* hcreight - Finishing The Wire (3 seasons)
* EccoRaven - first two seasons of Friday Night Lights
* TurboFlamingChicken - First 3 Seasons of The Wire
* KilGrey - First 2 seasons of Game of Thrones
* MrSlam - Seven seasons of Tales from the Crypt
* GobiasIndustries - Seasons 5-7 of True Blood (done) & Seasons 1-2 of The Wire.
* Open Source Idiom - All of Twin Peaks *edit* two seasons of Xena.
* BigRed0427 - Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, And Hemlock Grove.
* Bown - 3 seasons of Shameless & season 1 of Masters of Sex
* Uznare - First 2 seasons of Babylon 5 - Starting July 14th.
* Irish Joe - The Tracey Morgan Show and the first two seasons of Moone Boy
* Mahlertov Cocktail - Both seasons of Twin Peaks

Annakie fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've only seen the pilot of Twin Peaks, so I'm gonna commit to both seasons of that by September 22.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'll commit to season three of acclaimed television sitcom Last Man Standing

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I'll post in here for now, but it's a tossup between finishing Farscape, Legend of the Seeker, Twin Peaks or at least getting through two seasons of Suits.

I'll probably end up doing all of that because I'm sad and pathetic, but which one for this, I'm not so sure yet.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Put this in the OP
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/could-watching-tv-kill-you-binge-watchers-higher-risk-n140716

I have too many shows to catch up on than to start a new one.. for now.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

I'll commit to season three of acclaimed television sitcom Last Man Standing

You're already committed, go back to your thread.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DivisionPost posted:

You're already committed, go back to your thread.

jokes.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

I know. They're terrible.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Okay, I'll play. I'll watch the first two seasons of Game of Thrones.

I read the books and didn't like them overly much but everyone says that this is one of the few instances of a show being better than the books and OHMYGODYOUHAVETOWATCHIT!!!

If nothing else it will get those people off my back.

Edit: I don't have time to start until 4th of July weekend so please start my update timer then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

KilGrey posted:

Okay, I'll play. I'll watch the first two seasons of Game of Thrones.

I read the books and didn't like them overly much but everyone says that this is one of the few instances of a show being better than the books and OHMYGODYOUHAVETOWATCHIT!!!

If nothing else it will get those people off my back.

Edit: I don't have time to start until 4th of July weekend so please start my update timer then.

One character the show definitely treats better is Cersei as she gets extra scenes in the first season that better go over her motivation.

Personally I guess I've decided to go big and will watch the first five seasons of Supernatural.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

CaptainHollywood posted:

Put this in the OP
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/could-watching-tv-kill-you-binge-watchers-higher-risk-n140716

I have too many shows to catch up on than to start a new one.. for now.

TVIV Summer Bingewatch - Come Die Slowly With Us

muscles like this? posted:

Personally I guess I've decided to go big and will watch the first five seasons of Supernatural.

This is actually a great decision. You've probably heard this before but you should stop after season 5. There's maybe a dozen episodes in the last 4 seasons that were really worth the time. The only one after season 5 you must watch is The French Mistake.

OP updated!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Five seasons of 22 episodes is a lot of show but I have quite a bit of free time and this will just replace my random afternoon TV watching.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went back and forth on whether I should do this, but gently caress it: I'll commit to finishing all current seasons of Shameless (US) before September 22nd. That's just under three full seasons worth of episodes.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

This sounds fun, but I kind of wan't to watch something that is notoriously bad. I don't know why but I do. And it also has to be on Netflix. Any suggestions?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BigRed0427 posted:

This sounds fun, but I kind of wan't to watch something that is notoriously bad. I don't know why but I do. And it also has to be on Netflix. Any suggestions?

The Killing.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BigRed0427 posted:

Why, The L Word sounds right up your alley, then, and is definitely available on Netflix!

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm game for this. I've got Spaced sitting on my hard drive which I need to clear out so I'll commit to watching it from beginning to end by the deadline.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

BigRed0427 posted:

Dexter, season 5 and on.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

BigRed0427 posted:

Sons of Anarchy, season 4 and on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the first two episodes and here are some stream of consciousness reviews/impressions.

Supernatural: Episode 1, June 28th

quote:

Hey, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, whatever happened to him? Adrienne Pa-something or other with her mole and Sarah Shahi as the bad guy? You can see a lot of set up stuff with talk of credit card fraud and pretending to be federal agents. Also the over-arcing plot of “looking for dad.” Hey, where did Dean get that gun? I mean, he was just in jail and I doubt they let him keep it. The drag to hell special effects are kind of goofy but this was a network show from 05. Heard there were music rights issues with the Netflix version but can’t really tell from just this episode. Discovered that my laptop doesn't have Office and that this free program I’m using loving sucks. For example, the spellcheck doesn't recognize “doesn't’” or “spellcheck.”

Episode 2, June 28th

quote:

Netflix, maybe don’t skip the start of the episode the very first time they have a start of the episode. I mean, sure, it was just a recap but still. 2005 moments, playing original fat DS, lovely camera phone, puka shell necklace. Bonus points for playing an actual DS game, negative points for one that nobody actually ever played. Filmed in Canada indicator, the presence of Callum Keith Rennie. Another missing persons plot? Maybe they should have done something a little different for the second episode. Doc Cottle! This episode is kind of dark, I don’t mean that metaphorically, I mean literally dark. They keep saying “Wendigo” weird and now I’m not sure if I was pronouncing it right. Two keep out signs seems a little much. I think my only real problem with the show so far is my problem with a lot of “secret monster” stories, there isn’t really a good reason for the monster stuff to be kept secret.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Bown posted:

I went back and forth on whether I should do this, but gently caress it: I'll commit to finishing all current seasons of Shameless (US) before September 22nd. That's just under three full seasons worth of episodes.

It's kind of a funny pick for this, since one of S4's plotlines is such an absolute kick in the balls that I haven't finished the season yet. Even though I loved previous seasons and still like a lot of what Season 4 is doing. And I've since found that I'm not the only Goon to feel this way. Good Luck!

gently caress it, here it goes. I've only watched the first two seasons of The Wire and am committing to watching the rest before the end of the summer. :toxx:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

hcreight posted:

gently caress it, here it goes. I've only watched the first two seasons of The Wire and am committing to watching the rest before the end of the summer. :toxx:

You will not regret this decision.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I've always told myself that I would pick up It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia one of these days, so this seems like a good time. It's hard to guess what kind of time I'm going to have to devote to it, but I'm going to go ahead and commit to the first 5 seasons by the end of summer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, first episode back on Shameless and a naked old guy got shanked in a prison due to a hilarious misunderstanding. Why did I ever stop watching this show again?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Well, first episode back on Shameless and a naked old guy got shanked in a prison due to a hilarious misunderstanding. Why did I ever stop watching this show again?

A toxx to watch the US version of the show would be far more entertaining.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That is the one I'm watching! The original sucks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

That is the one I'm watching! The original sucks.

D'oh, you're right, I meant the UK version. Jesus that is a Bad Show.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I have a better idea for my TOXX.

One Season Wonders!-How about I watch four TV shows that only lasted one season?

Starhunter (Found this in the check out line at Shop Rite, haven't watched it)
Birds Of Prey (I've seen the first few episodes, never finished it)
Season 1 of Wonder Woman (Season one takes place during WW2, 2 and 3 take place in the 1970s and on a different network so I think this could count. I've only seen the pilot movie so far)
Blade: The Series (I have seen this before)

What do you guys think?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MrAristocrates posted:

I've only seen the pilot of Twin Peaks, so I'm gonna commit to both seasons of that by September 22.

I've never watched Twin Peaks, beyond the first ten minutes of the pilot. So, yep, I'm going to commit to it as well.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
Excellent idea. I've never watched a single episode of either The Wire or The Sopranos, so I'll :toxx: myself for one season of each. Back in the sci-fi genre I usually go for I've never watched any of the Stargates and hated the film, but if someone can give a compelling reason to watch a season of any of the spin-offs I'll give it a go. Finally sci-fi again with 1970s grim Brit sci-fi Blake's 7, a show I really should have watched but somehow never got round to.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
I'm going to toxx myself to watch the first two seasons of Person of Interest because Zaggitz won't stop nagging me about it, and I do enjoy cyberpunk type stuff. So I probably will check in regularly even if I finish my first commitment.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Uznare posted:

I'm going to toxx myself to watch the first two seasons of Person of Interest because Zaggitz won't stop nagging me about it, and I do enjoy cyberpunk type stuff. So I probably will check in regularly even if I finish my first commitment.

DOOOOOO IT

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I was kind of a hermit this weekend and managed to watch the entire first season and the first couple of episodes of season 2 of The West Wing. :v:

So far I'm liking it as much as I thought I always would. I'm definitely not in the OH MY GOD FAVORITE SHOW EVER!! category but I can understand why it's so many people's favorite show, and I'm really enjoying it. It's definitely getting a little dated now (considering it's 14 years old I mean...). Some issues like Don't Ask Don't Tell that are covered extensively in the first season are now over and done with in our day and age (though, admittedly, not THAT long ago) while others, like gun control, are just as hot as ever.

I'll probably pretty easily pass my 3-season toxx but I'll think aout extending it when I get there.

OP is up to date of this post!

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I will finally get off my rear end about watching The Wire and watch at least the first three seasons of the show by September 22nd. If I complete that by September 1st I will probably just finish the drat thing by the deadline. I have heard so many people recommend this show so it is time with Hannibal/GoT/Fargo/every other drat show on hiatus to do this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll watch Orange is the New Black season 2 because I really hated season 1 and I want to be able to continue to speak with authority when I tell people it's a bad show. :v:

Incidentally, that's also why I watched Girls season 3 and I ended up really, really liking that season, if anyone wants something to watch and hated seasons 1 or 2 or has Irrational Lena Dunham Hatred Syndrome, that's worth giving a shot. Seriously, probably the "most improved show ever" award got stolen from Parks and Rec.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm up to episode 8 of season 1 of Supernatural and so far it hasn't been wowing me. Its been enjoyable but nothing special so far.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

muscles like this? posted:

I'm up to episode 8 of season 1 of Supernatural and so far it hasn't been wowing me. Its been enjoyable but nothing special so far.

That's about par for the course, it gets good a little over halfway through s1 and kicks poo poo in high gear at the end, and stays on that quality until the end of s5.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing about episode 8 "Bugs" is that I'm not sure you can blame the bugs for the realtor lady dying. Its not like they pushed her through the shower door. Also they really didn't sell how long they were in the house.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Bugs and route 666 from season 1 are unanimously regarded as the worst eps of the show. Like even the post s5 stuff hasn't sunk that low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zaggitz posted:

Bugs and route 666 from season 1 are unanimously regarded as the worst eps of the show. Like even the post s5 stuff hasn't sunk that low.

Honestly everything post Season 5 has been at worst unfocused, and that (mostly) went away by Season 7.

There is one exception however: The backdoor pilot to the cancelled Supernatural spinoff called "Bloodlines" in Season 9 is unambiguously the worst episode of the entire series.

• Locked thread