Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
I'm going to toxx myself to watch the first two seasons of Person of Interest because Zaggitz won't stop nagging me about it, and I do enjoy cyberpunk type stuff. So I probably will check in regularly even if I finish my first commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Just got back home after several awful travel delays and I intend to update on the show I picked on monday next week.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

I watched the first three episodes of S1 of Person of Interest, I have to say this is a pretty drat rough start, but I was made aware of it before watching. Was hoping to get to episode 7 before today but travel sickness struck me down for most of last week.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

Haven't been able to watch a lot of the show I toxx'd myself for since I was dealing with school starting up and other stuff. Also haven't really watched much of my show yet since last update. But I do intend on completing my toxx by the deadline. I really wish I'd been able to watch more often.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

I've asked permission to change my toxx from the first two seasons of Person of Interest to the first two seasons of Babylon 5. I really couldn't get into the show and that tanked my motivation in watching it at all. Since B5 is one episode less I'll add the pilot film to balance out length differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

As promised I've watched the first two seasons of Babylon 5.

Babylon 5 is a series about the trials and tribulations of the crew of the Babylon 5 space station, a station commissioned by earth to be a hub of interaction between all races in space after the Earth-Minbari war. We're introduced in the pilot film and the first episode to our main cast of characters, which includes the station's chief: Cmdr. Sinclair who is a very saintly figure to put it bluntly, he's actually rather boring because of this. Chief of security Michael Garibaldi, who is generally street savvy and a goofball. Lt.Cmdr (later Cmdr.) Susan Ivanova, who runs C&C and whom the show loves to make a tragic figure. And lastly Stephen Franklin who is introduced in Episode 2, he runs medbay, says snarky stuff and has no real depth outside of it despite his actor's better efforts. Quite honestly all four of them are not very good characters, but that's not what we're here for! Now for the aliens, the meat & potatoes, if you will, of the show.

We have the Minbari that were mentioned earlier, they're basically humanoids with weird crests surrounding their heads. The ambassador of this race in B5 is Delenn, a member of the Grey Council (ruling body of the minbari). She's not super interesting but makes do a lot better than the humans to be honest.

The Centauri are probably the main attraction, they have excentric hairstyles and extravagant lifestyles (and they're also prone to war atrocities). Londo Mollar is the representative in B5. Quite honestly the best character in the entirety of the show. Peter Jurasik simply knocks it out of the park with his performance and theatrics. Even if the show isn't your I'd highly recommend watching it just for Londo. As a Centauri he hates the Narn and especially Ambassador G'kar. Who coincidentally I will talk about next.

The Narn are a very battered race in space, being under the rule of the Centauri for a long time before the start of the show. G'Kar is their ambassador, portrayed quite excellently by Andreas Katsulas. He and Londo have a really interesting and hateful relationship. Their scenes together are just solid gold, the chemistry between them is incredible. In a way I'd say they're honestly the driving force of the show because the Human conflict just isn't very appealing.

And last we have the Vorlons, who are quite a mystery. Their ambassador is Kosh. Kosh is weird and mysterious. That is all there is to say about Kosh.

During the course of Season 1 we basically just get to see the characters try (and sometimes fail) to develop. It's rather slow paced. I'd call it a slow burn, really. Near the latter half of the season the show starts losing it's "plot of the week" elements and starts shaping itself into a great show honestly. The conflicts between the Centauri and the Narn are simply fantastic. There's certain figures introduced that make the show supremely enthralling. I wish I could talk about them without entering into spoiler territory. And while Season 1 in general is a slow burn, it does end in sort of a wet fart.

Not to worry though, because Season 2 is here to save the day. Due to unfortunate circumstances real life circumstances (real life illness of the actor who portrayed him), Sinclair had to be written out and replaced quite hastily. Thankfully he is replaced by Captain John Sinclair, who is played by the quite great Bruce Boxleitner. He's the best human character in the show at this point, he's funny, he's dadly, he's kind, he's just fun!. In this season the show actually grows a plot arc regarding ~mysterious figures~ that seem to be aiding Londo.

The show also suffers from some executive meddling to quite hilarious effect during this season. The producers tried to force a Hotshot Pilot character, in the form of Warren Keffer. Who appears in the main credits for all 22 episodes, despite only being in about 5 or 6 of them and being killed off unceremoniously as fast as possible as a huge middle finger to the producers. I was considering tagging this as a spoiler, but the character is 100% inconsequential and can be taken out of the show with 0 negative impact.

Overall I think Babylon 5 is an extremely entertaining show if you're a fan of sci-fi shows.

I'd also heard this show draws a lot of comparisons to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and I'd intended to watch alongside this show to make comparisons, but lack of time did not allow for this.

• Locked thread