Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I'll post in here for now, but it's a tossup between finishing Farscape, Legend of the Seeker, Twin Peaks or at least getting through two seasons of Suits.

I'll probably end up doing all of that because I'm sad and pathetic, but which one for this, I'm not so sure yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Uznare posted:

I'm going to toxx myself to watch the first two seasons of Person of Interest because Zaggitz won't stop nagging me about it, and I do enjoy cyberpunk type stuff. So I probably will check in regularly even if I finish my first commitment.

DOOOOOO IT

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Bown posted:

Finished up season 2 of Shameless earlier. This show is so weird - it spends the first third of each season being this wacky punk rock adult family comedy, and then really ramps up the drama in the final four episodes. It manages to make it work very well, though, with episode 11 being particularly gut-wrenching. There wasn't much of a through-line to the season, which made it feel scattered, although I think that may be because it was transitioning to more of an ensemble piece - Fiona definitely wasn't quite as front-and-centre this time around, but it did lead to a bunch of random subplots that never really went anywhere or were wrapped up in any way. Amazing work from William H. Macy, Emmy Rossum, and Joan Cusack, although I really do just love every character (Ian being maybe the only uninteresting one). The production values and cinematography are top-notch, although they somewhat overuse the sudden loud musical cue that's meant to be reserved for 'big'/destructive moments. I hear it's only going to get darker as it goes on, and I'm interested to see how they top Monica slitting her wrists at Thanksgiving and Karen being horrifically cold towards her Asian, Down syndrome baby.

edit: Joan Rivers is not in Shameless.
Oh just keep watching. If you thought that spoiler was crazy, it gets even worse. (in a good, Shameless, way)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I kinda started? I decided to finish Farscape. I made it through a few more episodes into season 3 and I swear I was gonna write something but I forgot. Yes, I even have Peacekeeper Wars to do too after all this.

All I can remember is season 3 is pretty drat amazing, I'd probably mistake it for something that aired in the last few years and there was maybe one not-so-great episode.

MrAristocrates posted:

To clarify: the Newsroom's very first scene is a rant about modern-day America that eventually turns into straight-up "millennials suck" generational resentment.
something something something bootstraps something something

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Ok, here's an update:

Farscape season 3 episode, "Scratch and Sniff"

Honestly I thought this was a hilarious sort of one-off in a season that was pretty much going full-speed serial. I suppose it's supposed to be in the same vein as a previous season 2 episode, "Crackers Don't Matter". In the same way that it kinda wasn't your typical Farscape episode, it really messed with your head and all that (just absolutely bonkers poo poo happens that isn't typical Farscape fare, which is hard to explain). It's also somewhat of a frame story, being told by Crichton to Pilot about why they can't stay on the planet any longer and they need to leave. So basically, the crew head down to a pleasure planet on shore leave and the two girls (Chiana and Jool) get kidnapped (in a sense) because some guy wants to milk them dry of some super-potent natural aphrodisiac. It's hilarious as Crichton and D'Argo basically have to break them out when their plan to buy them back in an auction goes awry. There are plenty of hilarious character moments between Crichton and D'Argo (up to and including this point of the season) that are fantastic. It's a kind of goofy/lighter tone episode that shouldn't really work but in the end I thought it was fantastic and really fun to watch.

Next up is a 2-parter. I might update it with that because I'm assuming something deadly serious and important happens and I want to tell you all about it.

I remember bits and pieces of this episode when I watched it years ago on TV, but seemingly out of order, so it was fun to see it now. Actually S3/S4 of Farscape is kinda the part where I mostly missed it (even when it was in syndication/repeats/something on a sci-fi channel in Canada) and I wanna see what happens next.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Honestly I thought in the same year The Americans also premiered, that was stronger than Masters of Sex, which everyone said was the best that year. I really liked MoS but I wouldn't put Lizzy Caplan as an Emmy nod over Keri Russel, honestly. :shrug:

And Beau Bridges and Allison Janey thoroughly was the better plot in S1 of MoS over Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan. :shrug:

That being said the MoS S2 premiere was much stronger than I was expecting.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Lycus posted:

The beginning of Lost Season 2 was one of my favorite things in TV.

The beginning of Lost season 2 was hilariously the first episode of Lost I watched. What a goddamn mindfuck already.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Mickey is the best storyline in S4. The others kinda pick up a few more episodes in though, keep on it!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Update for Farscape - finished season 3. drat, that was a doozy, the good kind. Probably some of the strongest stuff from the show yet. There were a few bumps along the way but probably so because of having 22 episode seasons, there obviously were a few that felt undercooked for a good part of the episode. But that's a minor thing considering how much they moved the characters versus the first two seasons. And I liked how they split the cast in two and alternated their stories that all came back fantastically when they were reunited. I'm even more surprised they didn't save their big climatic episodes for the end with a cliffhanger and had more of a slow burn of an episode lead into the finale cliffhanger, which is rare to see these days.

Definitely felt like this season of this show really did involve the writers just doing the absolute best. Parts of the show feel a bit dated (it's hella old by now), but in a broad sense the show feels like it would almost fit right in with some of the top tier stuff these days. It's still a shock to me this show goes under-appreciated for all it does while everyone shouts from the hills that they should watch Firefly instead. No - watch Farscape.

Now onto season 4...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

:toxx: completed.

Well, in all honesty I finished all of Farscape season 4 and the TV-wrap up movie The Peacekeeper Wars almost over two weeks ago but I was mostly mulling it over. But overall I really enjoyed Farscape and I can see why it's an amazing, well-regarded series.

Season 4: This season starts really rough. Like, it has a great opener (Crichton Kicks) that introduces you to the new cast members and bring back some of the old ones. Unfortunately they are followed by a really boring 2-parter (probably the only multi-parter in Farscape I didn't even like much) even though it was pretty serial and it turns out is super important for Peacekeeper Wars later. For the most part, I enjoyed the new characters that were added in season 4 (Sikozu and Noranti). There are a few episodes or two before the entire cast is reunited, and it kicks off again, but then we have a few more standalone episodes that vary by quality. Some are excellent fun while others were interesting in their own way but kinda fell flat for me. (Ironically I liked some of them vs. the general sentiment of other fans who basically hated them; I liked Coup by Clam for the most part).

The halfway mark is when it picks up and goes almost full serial on us. They actually make it to Earth and there were interesting choices made regarding that and how that played out into the later half. The later half of the season is probably the strongest finish, which involves a 6-7 episode long arc that concludes the series (not including the movie). There are still a few standalone episodes preceding it which I thought were decent and felt like typical Farscape fare. I can see why some fans didn't like, maybe because of their placement. Interestingly, the episode Mental as Anything I enjoyed, but I recently discovered most people considered it something they'd never watch again. I see their argument for it but I disagree. Maybe I'm wrong.

Of course, there's an outrageously good 3-parter which is then followed by a slower finale episode which is topped off by a loving cliffhanger because they were promised a fifth season then never got it. Luckily we got ...

The Peacekeeper Wars: This was probably written to conclude the series. It runs for 3 hours long, so it pretty much is a 4-episode arc (although it's listed as 2 parts, so whatever) where they try to shove every idea that they thought was important into that time span. (Also, since S4 basically "ended" with another 4-episode string of episodes, a 3-parter + epilogue, I was basically on a 6 hour Farscape trip). They brought back some elements of the earlier bits of season 4 (and even season 2 if you caught it) which is fine. Farscape has done that more than a few times in its 4-season run. There were a few things that bothered me although the production quality was much higher here but aren't really worth mentioning. There were a few acts that felt like they existed because of how it would be broadcast, because they didn't really seem to amount to too much by the end of the movie. Did not particularly like where some of the characters went throughout TPKW, or some of the creative choices considering you probably wouldn't be watching this as your first foray into Farscape, so I found it odd they had to include stuff like "describe the show to people and who's who again".

Of course, all-in-all, it was an enjoyable end to the series. I think it pulled off the movie-to-cap-a-series feeling better than Serenity did for Firefly. I still think the strongest season of Farscape is season 3. The second half of season 4 is really strong as well. Seasons 1 and 2 that I had watched before are mostly standalone with character arcs but end with amazing cliffhangers and multi-episode bonanzas. Fantastic series, and I can't believe it's that underrated versus things like Firefly or BSG. This is how you do sci-fi, I feel. Stuff is properly alien at times, and the cast is always at the forefront in the show, not the absolute stupid technobabble that people have grown to associate with sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Just the first 3 seasons? I think 4-6 are perfectly fine but I'd like to see your opinions on them. This is where people get ruined (and in some cases, so does the show)

• Locked thread