Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

KilGrey posted:

Okay, I'll play. I'll watch the first two seasons of Game of Thrones.

I read the books and didn't like them overly much but everyone says that this is one of the few instances of a show being better than the books and OHMYGODYOUHAVETOWATCHIT!!!

If nothing else it will get those people off my back.

Edit: I don't have time to start until 4th of July weekend so please start my update timer then.

One character the show definitely treats better is Cersei as she gets extra scenes in the first season that better go over her motivation.

Personally I guess I've decided to go big and will watch the first five seasons of Supernatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Five seasons of 22 episodes is a lot of show but I have quite a bit of free time and this will just replace my random afternoon TV watching.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the first two episodes and here are some stream of consciousness reviews/impressions.

Supernatural: Episode 1, June 28th

quote:

Hey, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, whatever happened to him? Adrienne Pa-something or other with her mole and Sarah Shahi as the bad guy? You can see a lot of set up stuff with talk of credit card fraud and pretending to be federal agents. Also the over-arcing plot of “looking for dad.” Hey, where did Dean get that gun? I mean, he was just in jail and I doubt they let him keep it. The drag to hell special effects are kind of goofy but this was a network show from 05. Heard there were music rights issues with the Netflix version but can’t really tell from just this episode. Discovered that my laptop doesn't have Office and that this free program I’m using loving sucks. For example, the spellcheck doesn't recognize “doesn't’” or “spellcheck.”

Episode 2, June 28th

quote:

Netflix, maybe don’t skip the start of the episode the very first time they have a start of the episode. I mean, sure, it was just a recap but still. 2005 moments, playing original fat DS, lovely camera phone, puka shell necklace. Bonus points for playing an actual DS game, negative points for one that nobody actually ever played. Filmed in Canada indicator, the presence of Callum Keith Rennie. Another missing persons plot? Maybe they should have done something a little different for the second episode. Doc Cottle! This episode is kind of dark, I don’t mean that metaphorically, I mean literally dark. They keep saying “Wendigo” weird and now I’m not sure if I was pronouncing it right. Two keep out signs seems a little much. I think my only real problem with the show so far is my problem with a lot of “secret monster” stories, there isn’t really a good reason for the monster stuff to be kept secret.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm up to episode 8 of season 1 of Supernatural and so far it hasn't been wowing me. Its been enjoyable but nothing special so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing about episode 8 "Bugs" is that I'm not sure you can blame the bugs for the realtor lady dying. Its not like they pushed her through the shower door. Also they really didn't sell how long they were in the house.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've got to be careful watching Supernatural on Netflix in a row because the next episode thing is usually way too detailed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how Sam pretty much becomes instantly suspicious of Meg the second time she shows up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm actually a couple of days behind where I should be since I didn't get any episodes in from Thursday through Saturday as I was at my parents' house for the holiday.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its been forever since I watched the show but I never really understood the Francis stuff. Mostly in how he was just basically off in a different show that didn't really connect to the main cast in any real way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Other than the holiday last week I'm trying to keep to at least two episodes a day of Supernatural. Yesterday I watched the first two episodes of season 2. While I enjoyed the first season as a whole I did think it was kind of weird how often the person they were helping would be a young woman. I'm also not sure why/how normal people don't know about the various monsters what with all the demonstrable proof out there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just finished the first Trickster episode. That was great! Especially the part in the professor's office where Dean got progressively bigger and bigger cheeks. Also, alien slow dance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Episodes written by Ben Edlund are pretty much the best.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Finished season 2 of Supernatural. Kind of funny but right when at the start of the 2 part finale I was just thinking to myself how the Roadhouse kind of just vanished after the first half of the season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is it me or is season 3 of Supernatural a lot more gory than before?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of bizarre how much better Katie Cassidy is on Supernatural than she's ever been on Arrow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Why was Season 3 of Supernatural so short? Every other season was 22 episodes but 3 is only 16.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Needless to say I finished season 3. I don't really look ahead so I was super surprised when the episode ended and Netflix popped up the next episode was S4Ep1.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"Criss Angel is a Douchebag"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The guy they got to play teenage Dean did a pretty good job.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of good casting, the guy they got for Alistair 3 did a pretty good job with the voice/mannerisms of the first time you saw Alistair.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thinking back on it, the roadhouse stuff in season 2 is kind of weird. Sam and Dean start hanging out there in between hunts for a couple of episodes, then after the 6th episode they stop going there. In the season finale demons burn it down and kill Ash but he was barely in the show so it was hard to care, Ellen plays a big part in the finale but vanishes in the season break. I don't think they even explain where she went.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SUPER glad I'm watching this on streaming and wasn't watching this as it aired because that season 4 finale was some straight up bullshit and gently caress having to wait months for that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As for me, I'm about a third of the way through season 5, almost there!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I loving HATED "Swap Meet," the one where a teenager switches bodies with Sam.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thea gets even more interesting in season 2 because they actually give her something to do other than drugs and sitting around the mansion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Toxx completed. I probably could have finished it faster but once I got to season 5 with about a month left I kind of slowed down. Have they ever said what was going to be different if the show actually did end at season 5? Like, would it have just ended with Dean moving on and Sam stuck in the cage?

All in all I'll probably just keep on going with the series, no longer in a hurry and probably get around to watching the season that's about to start when it gets added to Netflix. Maybe this time next year I'll be ready to watch it live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wrap up reviews:

"Swan Song"

This is kind of an interesting season finale, especially as the culmination of the "Apocalypse" story arc. Instead of a titanic battle between the forces of Heaven and Hell it mostly boils down to conversations between brothers, Sam with Dean and Lucifer with Michael. While it worked as a whole I think the scenes with Sam and Lucifer probably could have been fleshed out a little more in a separate episode since the show had to kind of rush through that part to get to the final confrontation.

One problem with watching this after the show has been running for a while is that the two deaths didn't really hit me too hard since I knew those characters were still on the show after this season. I was still surprised in the moment but after a beat or two I realized that it wouldn't be permanent. Of course that's kind of been a problem with the show as a whole, characters die and come back to life fairly regularly so it's hard to take deaths super seriously.

I liked that they did make sure to resolve the "where's God?" subplot, which could have easily been pushed off until later. I am a little sad that the reveal takes that character off the board seeing as it will be kind of hard to keep bringing them around now that the audience is aware they're God with a capital G.

Series review:

I've enjoyed the series so far. There were a couple of problems watching so many episodes in a row as you notice some repeating plot points, but nothing too egregious in the long run. Although there are only so many times you can hear Dean say "I'm tired" and then bounce right back a couple of episodes later. Looking back I think I preferred the humorous episodes more than the super serious ones. Oddly enough, the one episode I absolutely, positively HATED (Swap Meat) was a comedic one so take that as you will. It was kind of weird how long the show took to develop an actual supporting cast, with Bobby barely showing up in the first two seasons and Cas not even joining the show until 4. I was also kind of glad that after the first season they mostly dropped the "not gay" subplots where they felt like they had to constantly pair off either Sam or Dean with random case of the week women.

I mentioned this in my previous post but I will continue to watch the show, even knowing that the planned out metaplot is over. I enjoy the adventures of Sam, Dean and Castiel too much to just give up now.

• Locked thread