Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
We've all got those shows, the ones you know you'd love if only you ever got around to watching them. Shows that everyone you know swears are awesome but you didn't get in on the ground floor and never jumped into despite their critical acclaim or TVIV popularity. Shows maybe a friend bugs you to watch every so often and you promise them you will, you just haven't yet. It's maybe even your dirty little secret you've been ashamed to admit in TVIV you haven't seen because how could you have not seen that yet?

Let's watch at least one of those shows this summer.

Everyone's "I need to watch this" show is different, and the amount of time we have to lay around marathoning TV is also different. So in this thread we're going to pick a show, then commit to watching X amount of it by the time summer is through.

So here's how this is going to work:
* Pick a show and post it in the thread.
* Post how far you plan to get in the show, generally, commit to watching X number of seasons. I'll keep track of everybody in the OP.
* Check in once every other week at a minimum and let us know how it's going.
* You can change your show twice in case you end up really hating your first pick. HOWEVER, you must still watch approximately the same number of hours of the second show as you picked for your first show. Going to watch a season of 20 episodes of an hour-long drama? (I know it's only 45 minutes or so but let's keep the math easy), then change your mind and want to watch a sitcom? You should pick a sitcom or two with at least 20 hours worth of content (40 episodes). But I'll make some rulings on a case by case basis. Oh, and you can subtract the number of hours you spent watching your first/second choices, too.

Completing your Toxx
The last day of summer is Monday, September 22nd, so you must have finished your commitment by, let's say 11:59 Pacific time to give everyone a few extra hours to squeak by on September 22nd.

This is mostly going by the honor code, but in order to at least bring some accountability, you should post a review of at least 100 words of what you watched. Just put a little effort into it.

I'll see about maybe getting a few title changes to lottery out amongst those who complete the challenge or something, but I'm not promising anything yet.

Other Stuff
* Please spoiler tag anything spoilery. Basic general impressions of the show don't need spoilers, but use common sense and use tags semi-liberally. Any really deep discussion of the show should go into the show's thread.
* I'm not going to put a time limit on when you can enter, if you're reading this September 16th and want to participate before the 23rd, post and go for it. This thread is just to hold each other accountable to finally watch something we've been meaning to watch.
* Feel free to ask for advice or suggestions on what to watch here.
* Pretty sure I can, and thus will, hand out a ban to anyone who doesn't check in after 3 weeks or hasn't posted their wrap-up post by September 22nd, midnight Pacific time. Just post in the thread if you're going on a long vacation and won't be able to check in at some point. If your only update is "haven't watched any in the last 2 weeks" that's fine too, it's just to make sure you didn't disappear. :)

Annnd... since this is my thing, I'll start it off.

I commit to watching at least the first three seasons of The West Wing before September 23rd.

THE LIST
* Comfy Chairs - One season of The Wire, one season of Sopranos
* Amy Renee - First three seasons of Community
* Ghosthotel - all of Six Feet Under
* Mechanical mandible - both seasons of House of Cards

COMPLETED
* Short Penguin - First 2 seasons of Vikings
* Cerepol - All of Game of Thrones and Arrow
* E PLURIBUS ANUS - Season 3 of Last Man Standing (I know you were being funny but IT STILL COUNTS! :D )
* AnimeJune - First season of Avatar: The Last Airbender *update* - first 3 seasons
* Island Nation - Spaced (Two seasons)
* Annakie - First 3 seasons of The West Wing *update* 4 seasons
* Tupping Liberty - Seasons 5 - 9 of Supernatural *edit* - changed to 5-8 + 1st season of Arrow
* Sober - Season 3 - the end of Farscape
* Ravane - First three seasons of Lost
* muscles like this? - First FIVE seasons of Supernatural
* MrAristocrates - Two seasons of Twin Peaks
* J-Spot - 5 seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. *Update* - First 8 seasons.
* Cockashocka - Seasons 3 - 6 of Malcolm in the Middle
* BSam - Season 1 of Arrow
* precision - Season 2 of Orange is the New Black.
* Doctor Butts - First season of Twin Peaks
* DivisionPost - First season of the Rockford Files on Netflix
* hcreight - Finishing The Wire (3 seasons)
* EccoRaven - first two seasons of Friday Night Lights
* TurboFlamingChicken - First 3 Seasons of The Wire
* KilGrey - First 2 seasons of Game of Thrones
* MrSlam - Seven seasons of Tales from the Crypt
* GobiasIndustries - Seasons 5-7 of True Blood (done) & Seasons 1-2 of The Wire.
* Open Source Idiom - All of Twin Peaks *edit* two seasons of Xena.
* BigRed0427 - Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, And Hemlock Grove.
* Bown - 3 seasons of Shameless & season 1 of Masters of Sex
* Uznare - First 2 seasons of Babylon 5 - Starting July 14th.
* Irish Joe - The Tracey Morgan Show and the first two seasons of Moone Boy
* Mahlertov Cocktail - Both seasons of Twin Peaks

Annakie fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

CaptainHollywood posted:

Put this in the OP
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/could-watching-tv-kill-you-binge-watchers-higher-risk-n140716

I have too many shows to catch up on than to start a new one.. for now.

TVIV Summer Bingewatch - Come Die Slowly With Us

muscles like this? posted:

Personally I guess I've decided to go big and will watch the first five seasons of Supernatural.

This is actually a great decision. You've probably heard this before but you should stop after season 5. There's maybe a dozen episodes in the last 4 seasons that were really worth the time. The only one after season 5 you must watch is The French Mistake.

OP updated!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I was kind of a hermit this weekend and managed to watch the entire first season and the first couple of episodes of season 2 of The West Wing. :v:

So far I'm liking it as much as I thought I always would. I'm definitely not in the OH MY GOD FAVORITE SHOW EVER!! category but I can understand why it's so many people's favorite show, and I'm really enjoying it. It's definitely getting a little dated now (considering it's 14 years old I mean...). Some issues like Don't Ask Don't Tell that are covered extensively in the first season are now over and done with in our day and age (though, admittedly, not THAT long ago) while others, like gun control, are just as hot as ever.

I'll probably pretty easily pass my 3-season toxx but I'll think aout extending it when I get there.

OP is up to date of this post!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I don't think there's such a thing as obnoxious with checkins unless you give like, hourly reports. :) But I would say that if you're going to put a ton of effort into your posts maybe you should consider having its own thread so it'll get more notice, or find / make an appropriate thread like "90's scifi / horror" to generate more discussion. :)

The point of the thread is more about making sure a show is being watched than posting about watching a show, but high quality posting is always great. :)

Speaking of watching a show, when's the generally agreed-upon quality dip in TWW? I'm probably going to speed through a bunch more this weekend. My next month and a half is going to suck at work so I plan on making my weekends as lazy as possible through the near-end of August. I might end up making it all the way through the show (this is not toxx-extension yet.)

Annakie fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 2, 2014

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Tupping Liberty posted:

Is it too late to jump in? I'll :toxx: if I haven't finished Supernatural seasons 5-9 by the day the first episode of season 10 airs or September 30th, whichever happens first.

It's never too late to start, but September 22nd is the cutoff for everyone. :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Today marks two weeks since we started this thing. To make this easy, everyone please check in within the next 7 days (before midnight PST a week from today) if you haven't posted an update yet, except KilGrey and Uznare who have a late start exemption.

Also, no more Korra / ATLA talk in the Korra thread except for checkin talk, please. :D

Annakie fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 11, 2014

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

It's totally cool if your update is "I haven't started yet", this is just to know who's abandoning their Toxx early.

I should probably update to say I'm somewhere in the middle of season 3 of The West Wing right now. Still enjoying it, though it gets kind of overbearingly preachy sometimes, even for someone fairly liberal in my politics. I'll probably keep going after season 3 at least for awhile. :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Jamesman posted:

Can we do show-for-show with people? Like, say I'll watch a show that someone else picks for me if they watch a show I pick for them?

Sure! Go for it! If someone wants to exchange shows with Jamesman, do it. You may want to specify a rough time commitment though.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I granted her permission to change! Nobody should be forced to watch something they really hate for a fun toxx. :)

Unless that someone's name is Occupation, of course.

Since I haven't checked into my own thread in awhile (ten more days til my life goes back to awesome) I'm like nearly done with my requisite 3 seasons of The West Wing. I needed a break, but I'll probably finish like the weekend after next or something. I'll go through and start marking off finished Toxxes in like two weeks.

If you haven't checked in in the last 3 weeks, check in please. :D

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not enjoying Twin Peaks, which makes me really sad. Can I change my Toxx at this stage?

Yep, you can. Just pick something with about the same number of hours you have left in it and post it in the thread. :)

As a general reminder to everyone, you have about 34 days left to finish your toxxes.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I have updated the OP and I think I have everyone who's done listed as done. I moved these to a new section at the bottom of the OP. If you're done, check and make sure you're listed. Right now I have Short Penguin, Cerepol, E PLURIBUS ANUS, AnimeJune and Island Nation. If you're done and not listed, point me at your "I'm done!" post.

There are several people who haven't checked in since like, June. Check in, please.

EccoRaven posted:

I started watching the first episode of Friday Night Lights and then I stopped because it was a Friday evening and I was drinking wine and I got distracted.

That was a month ago and then I started the West Wing and well here we are today.

I'll get around to it sooner or later I promise!

Yep!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I got off my butt and finished season 3 of The West Wing this morning, I've kept going so I'm a few episodes into season 4, so since we have a month left I'll say I'll finish S4 before the end of the summer.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

20 days left to finish your Toxxes everyone!

I finished season 4 of The West Wing over the weekend. Man I'm glad I wasn't watching live when I would have had to wait all summer to find out the resolution of the whole Zoe kidnapped / John Goodman is temporary president plotline. I'm a few episodes into S5 but I'm not going to toxx myself any further because I"ll probably be pretty busy this month.

Overall, I'm glad I'm finally watching The West Wing. Sometimes it gets kind of cloyingly preachy and even with my pretty liberal politics I've found myself rolling my eyes here and there, but it's great. The sort of loose-wrapup of a lot of characters storylines, which is annoying. Like, we're never told if Sam won his election? If he lost, which he probably did, why isn't he back at the White House besides the fact that we know Rob Lowe quit the show? And Ainsley is just gone with no explanation but "She left and hey look now you get Matthew Perry!"

I plan on finishing the show in the next couple of months even with the upcoming dip in quality, but I don't know if I'll ever re-watch it.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Here's the current list of people who haven't finished yet. If you've finished and I missed you're "I'm done, here's my 100+ word review" post, let me know.

* MrAristocrates - Two seasons of Twin Peaks
* J-Spot - 5 seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. *Update* - First 8 seasons.
* Open Source Idiom - All of Twin Peaks
* Uznare - First 2 seasons of Person of Interest - Starting July 14th.
* precision - Season 2 of Orange is the New Black.
* Cockashocka - Seasons 3 - 6 of Malcolm in the Middle
* Doctor Butts - First season of Twin Peaks
* GobiasIndustries - Seasons 5-7 of True Blood (done) & Seasons 1-2 of The Wire.
* BSam - Season 1 of Arrow

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

I really am regretting picking Hemlock Grove. This show is so loving stupid and dull.

You can switch your show if you adhere to the show switch rule in the OP :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Oh yeah, I forgot it said "last episode".

Any review of the series or last episode that is clearly effort will do. You guys are both fine. :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

BSam you're good.

If anyone's not sure if they're done or not, check the OP.

If you're not on the completed list and think you should be, post again and link me to your "I'm done" post. :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Good job, Doctor Butts!

Everyone else who's not done: You have one week and less than 6 hours left!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

I'm pulling for you guys. :ohdear:

Irish Joe posted:

Well I've got Hulu for another week so I'll put myself down for The Tracey Morgan Show and the first two seasons of Moone Boy.

You do realize you haven't finished yours yet, right? :)

For those of you too lazy to click the button to go to the first page, this is who is currently not done:
* Open Source Idiom - All of Twin Peaks
* Uznare - First 2 seasons of Person of Interest - Starting July 14th.

If you're on this list and think you should be done, link me you're "I'm done" + review post.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Bown posted:

I finished Shameless but then moved city so it might take me a few more days to get my thoughts together.

Hopefully less than five days! (but good going!)

I sent PMs to everyone left on the list who has plat so, no whining that I wasn't nice enough. :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Good job DivPost and hcreight! And everyone else who's finishing!

A little over two days to finish and 16 Toxxes still open.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Hey Irish Joe, you still have Tracey Morgan to go before you're done, just want to make sure you're aware before tonight is done.

KilGrey & TurboFlamingChicken - good to go!

I'm going to be on the road all day today (business trip) and posting from a hotel tonight so... see y'all then. :) If anyone isn't sure if they're done, the OP is updated to the best of my knowledge. Let me know if I'm wrong about your status.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I didn't think a review of a cheesy horror series could make me tear up. Great job MrSlam, and I'm really sorry for your loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I'll be honest Irish Joe, I had to google both of the shows you Toxxed for before accepting the Toxx because I'd never heard of either of them and was wondering if you were just making stuff up. :v:

Everyone who's posted their finishing so far today is all good.

• Locked thread