Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Evil Eagle posted:

This game does own and here's a video of stage 1 for anyone that's on the fence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1TpfxiC75o

How that can player just jump past those sweet sweet dirt piles full of gems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Important digging spoilers practice good fire safety and dig out your fires to make sure they're out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kewpuh posted:

Sticking this for a few days because the game Owns and nobody knows about it

I want to buy it so bad, but it's not out in Europe yet :(

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So, thanks to stretch goals on the kickstarter, we're going to be getting not one, not two, but THREE campaign playable Knights of the Order of No Quarter. As far as I can tell, the voting hasn't happened yet, so who are you guys hoping for? Personally, I think Propeller Knight, Treasure Knight, and King Knight would all be fun.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
A great little detail I noticed during the boss rush: The little beeps that play as characters talk are different for each knight. Tinker Knight's are hollow and metallic, Propeller Knight's sound like a propeller in motion, and so on.

Nothing left but the final stage. This game rules.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

So, thanks to stretch goals on the kickstarter, we're going to be getting not one, not two, but THREE campaign playable Knights of the Order of No Quarter. As far as I can tell, the voting hasn't happened yet, so who are you guys hoping for? Personally, I think Propeller Knight, Treasure Knight, and King Knight would all be fun.

The voting happened, it was Plague, Specter and King who won IIRC.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Glad this was stickied because this game really owns. Can highly recommend it on the 3DS because the 3D is extremely good and the lower screen lets you choose your relics (bypasses using pause on other types I assume)

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The voting happened, it was Plague, Specter and King who won IIRC.

I wonder what they're gonna do with King Knight since he's by far the most boring one to the point that the Kickstarter was on the lines of "why did you choose him? You could have gotten Propeller instead you crazy people".

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
The giantbomb quicklook is pretty good too:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-shovel-knight/2300-9157/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stink Terios posted:

I wonder what they're gonna do with King Knight since he's by far the most boring one to the point that the Kickstarter was on the lines of "why did you choose him? You could have gotten Propeller instead you crazy people".

I assume he's going to be Dan-like and completely suck and have a lot of joke moves.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Finished it and the ending was just as amazing as the rest of the game. Hopefully it sells well enough for a sequel if only so we can see some more cool knights.

[e] Also I recend my complaint about the bosses not giving you anything. I didn't realize until 2/3ed of the way in that your subweapons are pretty much themed to the bosses anyway.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020

Stink Terios posted:

Here's what they actually said about it:

Yacht Club Games posted:

What!? This has to be a trick. We all know King Knight is a cheater, so we counted and recounted. Either the ballot stuffing was very well done, or everyone truly loves the Sultan of Swagger! King Knight triumphantly joins the campaign (and steals center stage for the illustration too!)

Which strikes me as having a little in-universe joke, not telling everyone they shouldn't have voted for him.

ImpAtom posted:

I assume he's going to be Dan-like and completely suck and have a lot of joke moves.

The design notes during the vote said that he'd build a style meter by being stylish, which he could then use to be even more stylish, and could also spend money to cheat.

King Knight owns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

The design notes during the vote said that he'd build a style meter by being stylish, which he could then use to be even more stylish, and could also spend money to cheat.

King Knight owns.

That does sound pretty own, actually.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Shovel Knight is a good game you should buy and then play.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
This is a really loving good game. I was pretty sure of it but I fully realized it once I got the reward in town for defeating the Spectre Knight.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

Forget all I said this is awesome.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Fecha posted:

This is a really loving good game. I was pretty sure of it but I fully realized it once I got the reward in town for defeating the Spectre Knight.

Wait what? Where?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferroque posted:

Wait what? Where?

Go talk to the woman back in town who promised to give you a great treasure.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

gently caress it, I'm tired of waiting for the EU eshop version, if it comes to it I might double dip, but Steam will have to do for now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I just grabbed, even though it wasn't part of the Summer Sale. That article on their checkpoint design in the OP shows a lovely mindset, and is what helped along my decision.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Man, I beat King Knight on the first go, but the magic book/lava fall platforming sequence just before him brutalized me. I lost nearly all my gold.

Not doing much better on this lighting/dark platform bit in the Specter castle.

I don't know why I buy these games. I really, really suck at them. :negative:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that the Plains level is going to be ingrained into my head the way World 1-1 and Green Hill Zone are. Stuff like platforms that are exactly the right height to train you exactly how high you can jump, to bubble jumping, to sleepy dragons showing you what mini-bosses are like, just a bunch of cool stuff that pays off later in the game.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Okay, when the crazy hat collector started attacking me I actually said "holy poo poo" out loud. Was not expecting that and it was awesome.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It'd be nice if so many of the bosses weren't trivialised by pogo-sticking on their heads, I aced most of them and didn't lose more than once until Black Knight III. Still, absolutely fantastic game and hands down the best thing I've got out of kickstarter so far.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So has anyone figured out why yet that once you get a music sheet once that sometimes the page will reappear again? Like it doesn't seem to give money or anything, and it doesn't seem to be all of them....so it seems a bit weird.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Thanks for recommending this. It's like some awesome cross between Megaman 2 and Ducktales.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Niggurath posted:

So has anyone figured out why yet that once you get a music sheet once that sometimes the page will reappear again? Like it doesn't seem to give money or anything, and it doesn't seem to be all of them....so it seems a bit weird.

I think it's just there to point out that you already collected that sheet. Like, you can't really tell which one it is, but I suppose it's handy if you are just exploring the levels, and you can just go "oh hey I already got that collectible, okay, now lets try a different area"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Niggurath posted:

The replacement music sheets are semitransparent. It just lets you know you got it already.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

ImpAtom posted:

The replacement music sheets are semitransparent. It just lets you know you got it already.
But I know I got them when they aren't there as well? I don't know, it was a bit confusing to me but I guess I see the point. Still the game is a lot of fun so far and it's in a good area between challenging and rewarding. I still find it funny that one of the few negative reviews I've found so far for the game has been about the 'medusa head' nature of the enemies; it's pretty well telegraphed when an enemy is coming and off to avoid it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Niggurath posted:

But I know I got them when they aren't there as well? I don't know, it was a bit confusing to me but I guess I see the point. Still the game is a lot of fun so far and it's in a good area between challenging and rewarding. I still find it funny that one of the few negative reviews I've found so far for the game has been about the 'medusa head' nature of the enemies; it's pretty well telegraphed when an enemy is coming and off to avoid it.

Yeah, there are no medusa head enemies in the game at all. Everything is super well telegraphed and relics give you a bunch of options for getting around them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, there are no medusa head enemies in the game at all. Everything is super well telegraphed and relics give you a bunch of options for getting around them.

People are probably referring to the blue fire bird head things. I'm surprised they weren't used more.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The birds that ricochet around the level? I just ignore them most of the time.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Isn't there an enemy (not the bird things) in the airship level that acts exactly like the medusa heads? But as I recall there are far fewer of them than there tended to be in Castlevania levels themed around them, and there aren't as many insta-death pits around either so they aren't so annoying.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

There are some missiles that bob around like medusa heads in the castlevania clock tower level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

Isn't there an enemy (not the bird things) in the airship level that acts exactly like the medusa heads? But as I recall there are far fewer of them than there tended to be in Castlevania levels themed around them, and there aren't as many insta-death pits around either so they aren't so annoying.

There are enemies who bob around like that but they're clearly foreshadowed and not semi-random so they don't really fall into the same annoying niche.

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

What do the different colors of the checkpoints mean?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Corresponds to the gem that's inside it if you break it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

I think we are talking about the Jim Sterling review here, and he did not say Medusa Head enemies so much as Medusa Head challenge (as in unfair and pure bullshit), and I don't see that myself after being halfway through the game.

He still had good things to say about the game in spite of that. And the worst review on this game has to be the EGM review, where he spends a paragraph on a soap box raging against the retro aesthetic as used in several games nowadays, and even then he grunts out "Yeah this game is good I guess"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ah. Jim Sterling has become less of an asshat in recent years but he is still pretty Bad At Video Games, so that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Travv0 posted:

What do the different colors of the checkpoints mean?

Their value if if break them is tied to the color. It's mentioned in the checkpoint thing in the OP I think.

• Locked thread