Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
A great little detail I noticed during the boss rush: The little beeps that play as characters talk are different for each knight. Tinker Knight's are hollow and metallic, Propeller Knight's sound like a propeller in motion, and so on.

Nothing left but the final stage. This game rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

If you abuse pogo bounce on Propeller Knight for too long, he'll eventually blow you upwards and try to stab you as you come down. He follows you around as he does it too, but you can usually avoid it by going in one specific direction and not letting up.

There's also Baz Knight, who is just immune to pogo attacks whenever his whip is up.

I can't wait until this game shows up at AGDQ/SGDQ. The speedruns are going to be incredible.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Yeah, once I figured out that you can charge attack through shields it became my favorite shovel upgrade.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Anyone got advice on route/gear for speedrunning? I've gotten it down to 2:14, but that's a long way from 90 minutes.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Are the chalices and fishing line really useful? I assumed the 3-minute dance from the troupple king made them a no-sale.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Shaezerus posted:

If you're confident you can damage-race bosses then you probably don't need Troupple Chalices, I picked them up because I had trouble reliably oneshotting Specter Knight with the damage I took in his stage (I keep forgetting about his checkpoint wall chicken). The Fishing Rod does two damage to every boss and speeds up the Tinker Tank fight by a fair bit if you can get in the sweet spot between shoulder missiles.

Oh man, I hadn't thought of fishing Tinker Tank to death, that's awesome. I'm not sure how practical it would be against most bosses, though.

One of my greatest Shovel Knight ambitions is to kill the Enchantress's first form by fishing

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Man, I was sure that Penny Pincher was going to be an awesomely compelling challenge of a feat to unlock, right up until I found out that you can unlock it on a NG+, even if you spent money on the clear that you started it from.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Watching the best known speedrun for time-saving strats. His final build is interesting, but makes sense: Flare Wand for damage, Phase Locket for cheating, Throwing Anchor for more damage, Mobile Gear for bypassing a few areas and Tinker Knight, Propeller Blade for speed, Purple Armor for more Propeller Blade, Charge attack.

The Tinker Tank and Propeller Knight fights are seriously unreal.

e:

:dance:

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd wait until fast-weapon-switch gets patched into the PC version before routing a speedrun, because until then you'll all still be routing around time spent in the menu. That, or run on the Wii U.

Yeah, I'm not remotely dedicated enough to do proper speedrunning. I just wanted the achievement.

• Locked thread