Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
God I loved Plague of Shadows, maybe more than the main game. Only downsides are that a few sections or boss battles are either way harder or easier than they were originally. I think the only boss I died against was Spectre Knight, and that was only because I didn't think to switch to Lob casings to hit him in the air. With Life Leech you can basically fight for an infinite amount of time during the boss fights and not die. It seemed to me that Bounce and Lob were by far the most useful casings, with Impact or Remote being the best fuses depending upon the situation. I'd occasionally use Component powder though if I wanted to try to nail an enemy on the other side of the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
On the 3DS? I don't remember the exact process, but there's a way to download updates on eshop games but you have to do it manually. Select the game's icon IIRC and there should be an option somewhere. I remember I had to do something similar for Majora's Mask.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Plague Knight became infinitely more manageable once you got the bomb casing double jump that let you float down slowly, and by the end I think I enjoyed playing as him more than even Shovel Knight.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

raditts posted:

When is it supposed to come out for the other platforms?

I'm way behind, so I just started Plague of Shadows a couple days ago. He's fun to use but he's such a slippery little fucker, why does he have to take an extra step after every jump? I died like a loving chump like 5 times on the first level on that one spot where you have to kill a monster then land on the tiny platform it was on before I got used to it.
Yeah he controls really strange at first and mastering how he lands his jump is key. You do get an armor that offsets this but I don't remember what the downfalls of equipping it was. Getting the bomb casing that lets you float down slowly on a double jump was hugely helpful as well, I don't think I ever unequipped that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished Specter of Torment and that is some fine platform gaming. I do feel that it had the worst story of the three campaigns, with the gameplay being about tied with Shovel Knight (Plague is still #1 in both categories). I couldn't help but feel that I really needed a mid-air dash or something like Mega Man X2, but overall the stages were a lot of fun since this time they were designed from the ground up with Specter Knight in mind. The best thing about the whole thing is honestly probably the music because the remixes are just phenomenal.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've never been a fan of trying to pull off some sort of armchair fanfic critique where I know what they should've done with the plot instead, but I think overall they hamstrung themselves by making it both a prequel where Specter has to recruit the order and have some sort of tragic flashback/revenge story so they had some sort of excuse to have a final boss after Specter recruits everyone. I think Specter should've just always been kind of undead who was always tied to help/recruit for the holder of the amulet. Give him a flashback arc that was waaaaaay in the past rather than use any of the OC kickstarter characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only part of Specter that I found frustrating was Horace's challenge, which went on soooo long. But at the same time it helped kind of cement Specter's mechanics in a way that was very useful for the stages to come. Particularly when you want to "home in" on an enemy via an air dash when it's better to ground attack to avoid flinging yourself into an abyss. Overall Specter controls a lot easier than Plague; I simply prefer Plague because mastering that slippery bastard along with the variety gained from bomb loadouts made that experience super fun. The only reason I kind of wanted an air dash of sorts is that it felt like something that would be a natural addition to the "flow" of Specter's movements, as opposed to something I felt I would need because of difficulty. Really Specter was probably the easiest overall initial non-NG+ campaign of the three. But any time you'd be stuck on a wall above a pit and not have any sort of way to recover short of a curio kind of stunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Phone posting so I can't say too much, but I played King of Cards at PAX West and it is still a pretty great video game. Not sure how to get to the card minigame yet, might have been a different kiosk.

• Locked thread