Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
This Bundesliga story kinda got overlooked, but a doctor found evidence of systematic blood doping and the authorities did gently caress all. http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/report-by-team-doctor-suggests-blood-doping-in-german-football-league-a-919563.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Bayern have also had a centrifuge delivered to their stadium last month for use in their medical centre.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

serious gaylord posted:

Bayern have also had a centrifuge delivered to their stadium last month for use in their medical centre.

Chelsea and Spurs have/used one for "blood spinning" and obviously not used for blood transfusions

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If only there was a chemical cure for being massive loving bottlers Spurs could invest in :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

peanut- posted:

If only there was a chemical cure for being massive loving bottlers Spurs could invest in :(

Spain managed to find it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

peanut- posted:

Stuffing the players with valium before a match would probably end badly

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Jose posted:

Stuffing the players with valium before a match would probably end badly

Well yeah, they're not meant to be suppositories, that's what frozen twix are for.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

African AIDS cum posted:

This Bundesliga story kinda got overlooked, but a doctor found evidence of systematic blood doping and the authorities did gently caress all. http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/report-by-team-doctor-suggests-blood-doping-in-german-football-league-a-919563.html

Nothing to see here, football is a skill based sport. This isn't the Tour de France! Now look at this beautiful header by this beautiful and clean athlete.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Residency Evil posted:

The main one for actually treating cancer is anastrozole, an aromatase inhibitor that we use in post-menopausal women with breast cancer to decrease the risk of cancer recurrence (Estrogen is kind of like a fuel for many breast cancers). Side effects we most commonly see are joint pain, hot flashes, and they've also been associated with a decrease in bone density. I haven't used anastrozole in men as it's not really used often in adult male oncology.

To me at least, the most surprising thing seeing all of the endocrine drugs beyond steroids.

thanks!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

What sort of drugs are available to help athletes who are doping pass tests, outside of just cycling to avoid in competition testing?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

What sort of drugs are available to help athletes who are doping pass tests, outside of just cycling to avoid in competition testing?

Various 'diet pills's will cop you a ban if they're found in your system, not because they're performance enhancing, but because they mask the indicators of the big drugs.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
FIFA has done about 1000 tests now, most of them before the tournament. No positives. Football is clean.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

serious gaylord posted:

Various 'diet pills's will cop you a ban if they're found in your system, not because they're performance enhancing, but because they mask the indicators of the big drugs.

Yeah, getting caught with masking agents get you the same ban as is they had found something performance enhancing so I don't think anyone really bothers with those anymore. It's much safer to just dope out-of-competition in small enough doses that it passes through your system in a few hours and when you're sure you won't be tested like when you're in the middle of nowhere doing "altitude training".

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Charlotte Hornets posted:

FIFA has done about 1000 tests now, most of them before the tournament. No positives. Football is clean.

Please Don't Troll.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
It's really unfortunate that the sports that actually give a drat about drug testing like Cycling constantly get dragged through the muck as a dirty sport because of the constant drug headlines from actually catching cheats. That's not to say cycling isn't a horrifically dirty sport but at least they're trying to do something compared to all the other sports that just look the other way so they can carry on the charade of being clean.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Smorgasbord posted:

It's really unfortunate that the sports that actually give a drat about drug testing like Cycling constantly get dragged through the muck as a dirty sport because of the constant drug headlines from actually catching cheats. That's not to say cycling isn't a horrifically dirty sport but at least they're trying to do something compared to all the other sports that just look the other way so they can carry on the charade of being clean.

I basically agree, with the caveat that Sky/Froome's results over the last few years have hardly kept cycling's reputation good on that front either.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Contra Duck posted:

Yeah, getting caught with masking agents get you the same ban as is they had found something performance enhancing so I don't think anyone really bothers with those anymore. It's much safer to just dope out-of-competition in small enough doses that it passes through your system in a few hours and when you're sure you won't be tested like when you're in the middle of nowhere doing "altitude training".

Is finasteride use (anti-baldness drug) still a thing for masking nandrolone haha?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I basically agree, with the caveat that Sky/Froome's results over the last few years have hardly kept cycling's reputation good on that front either.

wait is there speculation that they were doping?

I figured that after the whole Armstrong affair that of anyone Wiggins, Froome and the Sky lot would be clean.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also:
Anti-doping testing: abnormal results rise by 20% in 2013

The number of abnormal test findings recorded by anti-doping authorities worldwide increased by more than 20% last year, according to a report by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

There were 5,962 adverse or atypical test results across all sports, compared with 4,723 in 2012.

The number of tests carried out rose by only 0.8% in the same period.

code:
Anti-doping testing by country
Country    Tests conducted by national anti-doping body in 2013
Russia      14,582
China       13,364
USA          7,144
UK           4,848
Jamaica        294
Ukraine          9
Football was responsible for more than 28,000 tests, more than any other sport. Of those, 140 adverse samples were recorded, a ratio of 0.5%.

Cyclists were also subject to frequent testing, with more than 22,000 samples analysed in 2013 - 1.2% of those tests resulted in adverse findings.

However, there were also widespread adverse findings in sports without the stigma of cycling. Rugby recorded a rate of 1.3% adverse results from just over 6,000 tests.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/28194582

So Rugby has the same level of detected doping as Cycling and football seems reasonably low.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Football is only going to start having blood testing soon so you've got to try really hard to fail to pass a test

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

JFairfax posted:

I figured that after the whole Armstrong affair that of anyone Wiggins, Froome and the Sky lot would be clean.

The lesson of the last 10 years of cycling has been to dope more intelligently, not to ride clean. That said, if there really are top cyclists who are clean, I genuinely feel for them because virtually nobody believes them.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

JFairfax posted:

He basically taunts interviewers and organisers in interviews about doping substances they can't test yet

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

JFairfax posted:

After the 2011 (i think?) tour where times on climbs were way down and the Gc contenders were having to do alot of work themselves people seemed to think we had turned a corner. Dave Brailsford himself said that we'd never again see the discovery performances of the past with 6 or 7 riders on the same team demolishing climbers.

Then along comes 2012 and you have exactly that with froome pushing toward the forbidden 7watts/kg and none of the other GC contenders or even pure climbers being able to hang on to sky's train. Around this time it's also revealed sky had hired Geert Leinders, the doctor who ran rabobanks doping programme, for 2 years and yet not a single person in the team admits to working with him or can say what it was he was doing for that time.

So there's been a lot of suspicion with the dominance of sky in tours, partly i think because it's been so boring to watch, and on top of that they are saying one thing (we won't hire anyone implicated in doping, no TUE's in races) and doing the opposite. Eyebrows have also been raised because froomes story for why he's suddenly got so good (lost weight and overcame an illness) is remarkably similar to what lance said.

Byolante posted:

He basically taunts interviewers and organisers in interviews about doping substances they can't test yet

really?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Isn't Froome's 'illness' something that is in almost every case completely cured by one or very rarely 2 doses of medicine but in his case for some unspecified reason it requires regular use of a banned substance that he has a medical exemption for?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Smorgasbord posted:

Isn't Froome's 'illness' something that is in almost every case completely cured by one or very rarely 2 doses of medicine but in his case for some unspecified reason it requires regular use of a banned substance that he has a medical exemption for?

No its not. He took the required course and that was it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jose posted:

Diuretics obviously and some more sophisticated system cleaners I dont know the names of. My son used to manage a gnc and commented on the college american football athletes coming in Sunday or Monday morning and stocking up. Its a pretty high profile D1 program. <coughsoonerscough>

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
One thing that we have to remember is that humans in general have poor reasoning skills when it comes to risk/reward evaluation. People have long showed a willingness to put things into their body that are way worse for them than steroids just because they can. So when even a modest gain in performance/money/looks are available is it any surprise that so many athletes dope? I mean some people literally take steroids just to look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

turbomoose posted:

One thing that we have to remember is that humans in general have poor reasoning skills when it comes to risk/reward evaluation. People have long showed a willingness to put things into their body that are way worse for them than steroids just because they can. So when even a modest gain in performance/money/looks are available is it any surprise that so many athletes dope? I mean some people literally take steroids just to look good.

Sensationally Robert Goldman asked athletes if they would take an undetectable substance that guarenteed success but resulted in their death 5 years later. 50% said yes. Later studies though have found much, much lower numbers but it's not zero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldman's_dilemma
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23343717

• Locked thread