Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

quote:

The "come on, just look at him!" fallacy is really tired at this point and has no actual science to back it up. It also ignores a lot of known factors of baseball, such as the ball itself, ballparks, pitching, strike zones, and the cyclical nature of the sport. There were boom and bust times for offense throughout the history of the sport.

It's tired in the sense that it's comically hard to refute and thus you get obfuscation in the form of specious appeals to broader trends. From age 36-39 Bonds had, by OPS+, the third best, the best, the eleventh best, and the second best seasons a hitter has ever had. His previous best four seasons by OPS+ were Age 27 (42nd best) Age 28 (35th best) Age 31 (107th best) Age 35 (107th best). If you want attribute this to factors "such as the ball itself, ballparks, pitching, strike zones, and the cyclical nature of the sport" or "juiced balls, smaller parks, smaller strike zones, expansion, tactical changes, health & nutrition advances" feel free, but just know that you're totally wrong. There have been players who maintained a high level of play at that age (notably, Hank Aaron, who had his best season in terms of rate stats at age 37), but suddenly becoming the best hitter ever at age 36 and maintaining that level over the next few seasons is, well, you can draw your own conclusions.

dilbertschalter fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

serious gaylord posted:

He seems to think that all PED's do are give you massive gently caress off muscles which couldnt be further from the truth.
Its loving stupid as hell op. Its not like anyone is contending that they're magic homer pills. Steroids have a measurable effect on recovery and exercise endurance that's already been detailed in this thread. This will help any athlete and especially one dealing with the muscle fatigue involved in playing 162 baseball games. Steroids arent the be all end all but theyll improve almost any athletes performance.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Being a big muscleman doesn't provably improve your ability to hit dingers. Miguel Cabrera was pretty muscular when he played for the Marlins but he's now a fat slob and an even better hitter.

In the case of Bonds, I'd venture a guess that his specific slugging jump in 2001 had less to do with PED use than it did with his elbow armor.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Oh yes, this player was too good later in his career so obviously he cheated, another fallacy with no science behind it

Hank Aaron's best home run season was at age 37

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

stickyfngrdboy posted:

So the fact a 37 year record was broken twice in one year by two men who took PEDs is a coincidence, or it was the ball's fault?

Babe Ruth set the home run record at 60 in 1927. 34 years later, in 1961, Roger Maris broke the record with 61. He never hit even 40 home runs in any other season. Is this more or less unusual, do you think, than several exceptional power hitters happening to break power hitting records during the greatest league-wide power hitting era in the history of the sport?

quote:

Are you loving kidding me? Do you even know what steroids do or are you just being ridiculous because your sport is under fire for being full of cheats?

Do you know how the human body develops for professional baseball players between the ages of 20 and 30+?

quote:

Tactical changes? Smaller strike zones? Could you explain how these allow the best MLB hitters to be the best MLB hitters (the ones who also took PEDs)?

An increased understanding of the value of power and the acceptability of strikeouts led to more players swinging for the fences and hitting more home runs. A smaller strike zone allowed players to pick and choose pitches more, getting a higher percentage that they could drive. Offense skyrocketed league-wide. The best hitters, being the best hitters, took most advantage of these factors and put up historic offensive numbers. When the distribution has a large bias, the outliers will be very extreme; just the same as how the best pitching performances in eras with very low offense look bizarrely great.

A huge number of MLB players took PEDs. Baseball players have been taking PEDs since the 19th century. Some players who take PEDs completely suck; some are average; some are among the all-time greats; some never even make it to MLB. Some are hitters and some are pitchers. But for some reason you want to talk about three who happened to be elite home run hitters as if that proves some kind of point. It doesn't.

serious gaylord posted:

He seems to think that all PED's do are give you massive gently caress off muscles which couldnt be further from the truth.

I'm a little confused how you are posting this in support of the guy who's arguing based on pictures of guys with big muscles.

dilbertschalter posted:

It's tired in the sense that it's comically hard to refute and thus you get obfuscation in the form of specious appeals to broader trends. From age 36-39 Bonds had, by OPS+, the third best, the best, the eleventh best, and the second best seasons a hitter has ever had. His previous best four seasons by OPS+ were Age 27 (42nd best) Age 28 (35th best) Age 31 (107th best) Age 35 (107th best). If you want attribute this to factors "such as the ball itself, ballparks, pitching, strike zones, and the cyclical nature of the sport" or "juiced balls, smaller parks, smaller strike zones, expansion, tactical changes, health & nutrition advances" feel free, but just know that you're totally wrong.

Someone literally just posted a comprehensive study that says that we are correct. You, on the other hand, are going with common sense and your own ignorance of the sport of baseball. It's not persuasive.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mornacale posted:

Babe Ruth set the home run record at 60 in 1927. 34 years later, in 1961, Roger Maris broke the record with 61. He never hit even 40 home runs in any other season. Is this more or less unusual, do you think, than several exceptional power hitters happening to break power hitting records during the greatest league-wide power hitting era in the history of the sport?

Do you know how the human body develops for professional baseball players between the ages of 20 and 30+?

An increased understanding of the value of power and the acceptability of strikeouts led to more players swinging for the fences and hitting more home runs. A smaller strike zone allowed players to pick and choose pitches more, getting a higher percentage that they could drive. Offense skyrocketed league-wide. The best hitters, being the best hitters, took most advantage of these factors and put up historic offensive numbers. When the distribution has a large bias, the outliers will be very extreme; just the same as how the best pitching performances in eras with very low offense look bizarrely great.

A huge number of MLB players took PEDs. Baseball players have been taking PEDs since the 19th century. Some players who take PEDs completely suck; some are average; some are among the all-time greats; some never even make it to MLB. Some are hitters and some are pitchers. But for some reason you want to talk about three who happened to be elite home run hitters as if that proves some kind of point. It doesn't.

I'm a little confused how you are posting this in support of the guy who's arguing based on pictures of guys with big muscles.

Someone literally just posted a comprehensive study that says that we are correct. You, on the other hand, are going with common sense and your own ignorance of the sport of baseball. It's not persuasive.

cool, you've convinced me.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
It's pretty much accepted that every player in the NFL has done steroids at some point in their career. Correct?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

stickyfngrdboy posted:

cool, you've convinced me.

Great, I'm glad I could help you learn something new today. :unsmith:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Since Pep Guardiola had his charge for testing positive for Nandrolone overturned, does that just mean the sample got tested again and the test was negative? Football testing is crap and I just can't see them having kept the sample for as long as they did between getting suspended and the appeal

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Obviously, those three are freakish outliers, but Sosa, Bonds and McGwire all came into baseball at a time when strength training was still viewed sceptically by a lot of people in the game, and more empahasis was placed on speed for hitters. It was only during their careers that 'bulk up and hit dingers' became the preferred run scoring strategy for everyone, and those three took to it hard. If they had started their serious baseball careers in the early 90's rather than the early 80's, those guys would likely have already looked like monsters when they came up.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mornacale posted:

Your comprehensive study posted on the page before was written by a author with a major conflict of interest. It also uses some rather odd statistical choices.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

quote:

Oh yes, this player was too good later in his career so obviously he cheated, another fallacy with no science behind it

Hank Aaron's best home run season was at age 37

Aging: not definitively shown to exist by science. I even included the Aaron example, because it isn't remotely on the same level, notably because he had reached similar levels, though not quite as high, of performance earlier in his career. Ted Williams had one of the best seasons ever at age 38, but again, he had reached similar levels earlier in his career. Bonds had never come even come close to reaching the level of production he sustained for four years at any prior point in his career. Again, if there's an actual explanation to that other than broader trends (all magically having an effect on him starting in 2001, I'd be interested.

Mornacale posted:

This comparison is totally wrong/meaningless. Maris was in the prime of his career and his previous season was not that much worse (basically identical OBA, 40 points more of slugging percentage not a big change). Bonds was 36 and his OPS was a full 243 points higher than his best prior season. And he kept up that level for the next three years. The situations are not

quote:

Making inferences based on data is a basic and effective way of making judgments about the world. I'm well aware of the factors you've listed, but none of them explain the massive power spike Bonds had. Describing him as an "outlier" is nice, but you can't simply say "well, he was an outlier, that's that." You need to try and explain what caused his improvement (hint: massive PED use). The entire study is designed about as well as the website and is based on a completely unfounded assumption and

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Karl Sharks posted:

The things you say here are negatives (injury/wear and tear and putting kids' futures on the hopes on something very hard to achieve), I don't think anyone can disagree, but how do you then conclude that more negative things should be allowed?

I mean it's like saying "oh, people don't take all of their antibiotics, which can lead to antibiotic resistant bacteria, so why stand in the way of just prescribing it to everyone with a sniffle and injecting it into livestock?" You're recognizing harmful aspects that exist and hopefully believe they should be prevented/mitigated while simultaneously adding more harmful things to the mix.

I see your reasoning. It makes sense. Saying something bad is happening already doesnt justify further bad. However in this case I think the "evil" of doping is so small in comparison to the larger issue at hand. My major issue is that in focussing only on doping as cheating we seem to convince ourselves that the rest of professional sports is somehow a place for fairness and moral goodness. Having sportswriters pen long diatribes against doping prevents us from considering how most sports in general rely entirely on athletes destroying their bodies for our enjoyment. Like I said, I'm perfectly okay with that, I accept it for what it is. I just wanted to bring up all these other ills in my last post only to suggest that the issue of doping isn't about a bunch of bad eggs cheating, but is the logical result of the professionalization of sports.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Could we talk about sports other than baseball? It has it's own, relatively bizarre, relationship to PEDs, steroid usage, cheating etc. and it monopolizes the conversation by an incredible margin for a sport that is, on the whole, fading (no offense to baseball fans).

I realize the irony considering I earlier asked about boxing, though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

You have been offered several explanations for the offensive surge in baseball at the time and instead choose to conclude that it was all because of PEDs despite there being no proof that the changes/effects they produce make you better at baseball.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If PEDS were pointless is making people better at baseball. Why did they take them?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

To the doctor in the thread: does long term abuse of PEDs necessitate life-long mitigation thereafter? Someone mentioned in the thread earlier "low t therapy", is this always the case?

Also, does blood doping have many long term effects? Is that what caused the "cyclists awake at 2AM" thing?

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

You have been offered several explanations for the offensive surge in baseball at the time and instead choose to conclude that it was all because of PEDs despite there being no proof that the changes/effects they produce make you better at baseball.

I never said anything was "all" because of PEDs. It's highly unlikely (not the case) the entire increase in offensive production that took place was a result of PED usage. That doesn't mean that individual players weren't obviously helped by PED usage. As I've said maybe three times now, to absolutely no reply whatsoever, the numerous factors listed do not do anything to explain a 36 year having by far the best four year stretch of any hitter ever, when he had never been particularly close to that level at any point in his career. Could you elaborate how any of what you listed explains that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tbp posted:

To the doctor in the thread: does long term abuse of PEDs necessitate life-long mitigation thereafter? Someone mentioned in the thread earlier "low t therapy", is this always the case?

Also, does blood doping have many long term effects? Is that what caused the "cyclists awake at 2AM" thing?

Excessive EPO use made cyclists blood so thick with red blood cells that they could not maintain a low resting heart attack without serious threat of cardiac arrest. They had to set alarms every few hours to wake up and exercise to increase their heart rates to 70+.

Their blood was literally syrup.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

If PEDS were pointless is making people better at baseball. Why did they take them?

Professional athletes will try absolutely anything to gain an edge. Why do they all wear placebo garbage like those hologram bracelets or titanium necklaces? With the money at stake, anything is worth a shot.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

lmaoboy1998 posted:

also the argument that 'wow! we see more 500 yard passes!' is really stupid in my opinion. the only reason a 500 yard pass is impressive in the first place is because its something of our own performing it; I compare it with my own abilities as a human being, and am amazed at the difference. if I saw a machine launch a ball 500 metres I wouldn't be amazed, because I know machines can do that. similarly, when I see someone on a cocktail of drugs throw a long ball I'm not particularly thrilled, because that's just what cocktails of drugs allow you to do. there's no real surprise, its not an achievement, who gives a poo poo.

You could give me all the steroids on the planet and I would never be able to do what LeBron James does whereas steroids might improve his vertical and let him put out a few more minutes a game. Maybe in the future we can all be on-court Gods with a pill or two, but Medicine ain't nearly that good yet.

Mr.Nice posted:

About the moral argument, it's not : "I shouldn't put harmful things in my body" but "by being a pro athlete I choose to agree to a set of rules, ignoring those rules would be cheating."

Rules of the competition itself, field sizes, equipment, fouls, all of those should be distinguished from dumb out-of-game league Conduct and Morality rules like "no smoking weed during the offseason" or the NCAA's guidelines about eating too much pasta at dinners held in your name. They're always crafted like they're supposed to protect the players' health and well-being but in reality wind up being protections for the league's image/money.

You can regulate the field of play however you want but it's *UnAmerican* to tell folks they can't prepare for a game in whatever way they please.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

also i think doping is much less of a moral issue and much more of an issue as to why people are interested in sport in the first place.

I like this post a lot it's insightful and a nice concise way to phrase it. I was young during the Steroids In Baseball thing but a lot of it looked like old writers trying to find reasons protect the Sports Immortality Mythos of their personal heroes against younger men, looking for reasons to undermine the statistics so their deities could stand unassailable.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Professional athletes will try absolutely anything to gain an edge. Why do they all wear placebo garbage like those hologram bracelets or titanium necklaces? With the money at stake, anything is worth a shot.

lol

PEDs have been rigorously researched and shown to work for decade after decade in practically every sport going, they are just some voodoo magic or lucky charm

TelekineticBear! fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 3, 2014

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

BWV posted:

I see your reasoning. It makes sense. Saying something bad is happening already doesnt justify further bad. However in this case I think the "evil" of doping is so small in comparison to the larger issue at hand. My major issue is that in focussing only on doping as cheating we seem to convince ourselves that the rest of professional sports is somehow a place for fairness and moral goodness. Having sportswriters pen long diatribes against doping prevents us from considering how most sports in general rely entirely on athletes destroying their bodies for our enjoyment. Like I said, I'm perfectly okay with that, I accept it for what it is. I just wanted to bring up all these other ills in my last post only to suggest that the issue of doping isn't about a bunch of bad eggs cheating, but is the logical result of the professionalization of sports.

While I don't really pay much attention to (American) football, I do follow the news here and it's pretty disheartening readying about the brain damage experienced by so many (former) NFL players, but so to is it depressing when you read about a (relatively) young soccer player just up and dying. Admittedly I think those latter cases are more uncommon, but if you want to prevent/lessen the first, I'm imagine you'd feel the same way about the second. And if you accept your professionalization concept, which seems to lead to essentially legalizing PED usage for athletes, then you will invariably see more and more deaths and long term effects caused by PEDs.

Of course sports are probably never going exactly fair in terms of opportunity, but is it a bad goal to try and make it more fair? I just don't get the argument where if it can't be perfect in regards to some positive aspect, then you should throw your hands up and say 'eh, gently caress it, just do whatever.' You can fight for more than one issue, so just because one is larger in scope than the other (right now) doesn't mean you can only work on one.

Nobody is saying we don't understand the logic athletes use when they decide to use PEDs, but just because it is logical in the sense that we can follow their reasoning doesn't mean it is ultimately the better decision for the athlete and the sport. You have the draw the line at some point, and I think that points is where you are taking a drugs that animal trials were stopped because the cancer incidence is so high or ones, like mentioned, create blood that honestly sounded impossibly thick at first.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Do you honestly think those things and PEDs with well known both beneficial and harmful (even fatal), effects are even remotely comparable?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

ElwoodCuse posted:

They wear those items because they get paid to wear them so that idiots worldwide see their favourite sports men wear a thing and then proceed to buy that thing.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

TelekineticBear! posted:

lol

PEDs have been rigorously researched and shown to work for decade after decade in practically every sport going, they are just some voodoo magic or lucky charm

Please link us some of this rigorous research that shows the impact of PED use on home runs! Then we can talk about a real thing rather than people assuming that whatever seems to make sense to them must be actually true.

Byolante posted:

Your comprehensive study posted on the page before was written by a author with a major conflict of interest. It also uses some rather odd statistical choices.

Cool, could you expound on these issues? I'm willing to believe there's no good evidence either way (I personally find the conclusion of there being no [meaningful] effect to be difficult to believe), I just hate how steroids stuff always devolves into people repeating their assumptions over and over without--or in the face of--evidence.

dilbertschalter posted:

Aging: not definitively shown to exist by science. I even included the Aaron example, because it isn't remotely on the same level, notably because he had reached similar levels, though not quite as high, of performance earlier in his career. Ted Williams had one of the best seasons ever at age 38, but again, he had reached similar levels earlier in his career. Bonds had never come even come close to reaching the level of production he sustained for four years at any prior point in his career. Again, if there's an actual explanation to that other than broader trends (all magically having an effect on him starting in 2001, I'd be interested.

This comparison is totally wrong/meaningless. Maris was in the prime of his career and his previous season was not that much worse (basically identical OBA, 40 points more of slugging percentage not a big change). Bonds was 36 and his OPS was a full 243 points higher than his best prior season. And he kept up that level for the next three years. The situations are not

Making inferences based on data is a basic and effective way of making judgments about the world. I'm well aware of the factors you've listed, but none of them explain the massive power spike Bonds had. Describing him as an "outlier" is nice, but you can't simply say "well, he was an outlier, that's that." You need to try and explain what caused his improvement (hint: massive PED use). The entire study is designed about as well as the website and is based on a completely unfounded assumption and

Barry Bonds is the single greatest human being who has ever lived on Earth, in the arena of hitting baseballs. The game entered one of the greatest hitting eras of all time. He mashed like it was going out of style. It was cool as all hell. Not one person in this thread has a shred of evidence of how much of a role any substances that he may have taken affected his ability to hit. The end.

By the way, it's funny that you let Hank Aaron off the hook, since unlike Bonds he's an admitted PED user.

ephex posted:

They wear those items because they get paid to wear them so that idiots worldwide see their favourite sports men wear a thing and then proceed to buy that thing.

I don't think that Phiten Magic Necklace Co, Inc. has enough money to convince dozens of millionaires to wear a dumbass necklace for advertising purposes. Athletes are generally uneducated people in a superstitious culture with a huge amount of import riding on extremely minuscule differences in performance, they're pretty much the perfect market.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm surprised baseball isn't the national pastime of Spain. Dirty, dirty sport.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Mornacale posted:

Please link us some of this rigorous research that shows the impact of PED use on home runs! Then we can talk about a real thing rather than people assuming that whatever seems to make sense to them must be actually true.

Do you think injury prevention and/or recovery are important things when you're playing 162 games in a season?

Do you know what PEDs are primarily used for in soccer?

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Mornacale posted:

Barry Bonds is the single greatest human being who has ever lived on Earth, in the arena of hitting baseballs. The game entered one of the greatest hitting eras of all time. He mashed like it was going out of style. It was cool as all hell. Not one person in this thread has a shred of evidence of how much of a role any substances that he may have taken affected his ability to hit. The end.

By the way, it's funny that you let Hank Aaron off the hook, since unlike Bonds he's an admitted PED user.

His previous best seasons were the 35th, 42nd and 102nd best ever by a hitter. That marks him as an excellent player, but can you explain why he became the best person to ever hit a baseball at age 36? Changes in the strike zone (uhuhh)? Juiced ball (in 1993, lol)? Expansion (again, lol)? No, you simply don't have a good explanation, so instead you're reduced waxing poetic in the manner of a fawning sportswriter about how wonderful and unique a player he was and (extra irony) implying that I'm in this to defend Hank Aaron.

Steroids can make you stronger and they can improve recovery time. These effects are well-documented and, believe it or not, these may improve a baseball player's performance, data manipulation notwithstanding (you can debate the first if you want, though you would be wrong, but to argue with the second is comical). That or players who use them in spite in spite of potential heavy punishment are just using them because??? No one is going to get suspended 50 games for wearing a stupid necklace.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

"hm yes *does calculations/quotes poo poo studies* there is no benefit of PEDs in a sport in which maintaining top levels of performance over 162 games is paramount."

^ something that posters in this thread are literally suggesting.

you ruined a cool and good thread by being retarded and annoying i hope you're proud of yourselves.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Please stop replying to the concern troll.

Lets get this thread back onto the good track it was. There are some super hardcore insane performance stuff knocking around at the moment. The widely documented product that gave people an almost 60% better rate of stamina without any extra training has been mentioned, with the caveat of rapid cancerous tumour growths throughout your entire body.

However there are others out there, I'd like to know more about them.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I'm surprised so many baseball fans are okay with people breaking the law and cheating. Seems like it ruins what could otherwise be a pretty great thing.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

A lot of people are saying stuff like "steroids dont magically give you skills" and "steroids just make you recover faster you still need to work hard they arent magic". I think this ignores the reality of the situation, that drugs do have a significant effect. I'm sure someone from w&w could give an honest account, but from what I've heard they pretty much are magic. Guys who have taken testosterone say you put on 20 pounds of muscle in 3 months and your bench goes up 50 pounds and your squat goes up 100, and it doesn't really matter what you eat or what kind of weightlifting routine you follow. There's an often cited study where a group of young men who took steroids and sat on their rear end all day got stronger than a group who didn't do steroids and went to the gym regularly. I read from a pro cyclist that when you take epo you don't feel like a human anymore, you just feel like a machine. Have you guys seen pictures of mark Mcguire when he was hitting those home runs? The dude looked full on gorilla retarded, his legs were bigger than my chest. There is a very real possibility that you can be lazier than someone else, take good drugs, and end up better at your sport than them.

And that's probably the laziest argument I've seen come up anyway, the other issues are way more interesting. Good thread.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

I wonder what the standard kinda cycles are for athletes, EPO and blood doping is a big thing in stamina sports, but what about sprinting, track cycling, olympic weightlifting etc. Anavar? Test? Clen?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

blood packing and EPO ostensibly do the same thing.

here's the abstract of a study re: blood packing and its performance effects on 10km runners.

quote:

The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of infusion of 400 mL of red blood cells (RBCs) on 10-km track race time, submaximal heart rate, hematocrit, 2,3-diphosphoglycerate, and partial pressure of oxygen at 50% hemoglobin saturation. Six highly trained, male, distance runners twice donated a unit of RBCs, which was frozen for subsequent reinfusion. Eleven weeks after the second donation, they undertook a series of three competitive 10-km races on a standard 400-m track: before infusion, after 100 mL of saline solution, and after 400 mL of autologous, previously frozen deglycerolized RBCs. All subjects took all trials in this double-blind, placebo, crossover, experimental design. Running time was recorded at each 400-m split, and blood was collected prior to each trial. The data were analyzed by analysis of variance. Results following the RBC infusion showed a significantly higher hematocrit concentration, a significantly faster 10-km run, a nonsignificant decrease in submaximal heart rate (10 beats faster 10-km run, a nonsignificant decrease in submaximal heart rate (10 beats per minute), and no significant changes in either 2,3-diphosphoglycerate or partial pressure of oxygen at 50% hemoglobin saturation. Erythrocythemia induced by the infusion of 400 mL of autologous packed RBCs effectively increased performance capacity in a 10-km track race, probably due to an increase in oxygen delivery to the working muscles.

basically they dusted the competition (time-wise) because of increased oxygen delivery.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

re: testosterone/androgen or (muscle building doping) bonds and many others were either guilty of, or implicated with, using THG:

quote:

Tetrahydrogestrinone (THG) was recently identified as a novel steroid used illicitly to improve athletic performance. Although its structure is closely related to gestrinone, a 19-nor progestin, and resembles that of trenbolone, THG was never marketed, so information on its hormonal properties is not known. In this study, we demonstrate that THG is a highly potent androgen and progestin in a yeast-based in vitro bioassay system expressing human androgen and progesterone receptors. It has no estrogenic activity and no antagonism for any of the three steroid receptor classes.

re: androgens:

quote:

Androgens exert their effects in many parts of the body, including reproductive tissues, muscle, bone, hair follicles in the skin, the liver and kidneys, and the haematopoietic, immune and central nervous systems (Mooradian et al., 1987). The androgenic effects of these hormones can be generally considered as those associated with masculanization and the anabolic effects as those associated with protein building in skeletal muscle and bone.

The effects of androgens are modulated at cellular level by the steroid-converting enzymes within the particular target tissue (Figure 1). In reproductive target tissues, testosterone can be considered to be a prohormone, being readily converted by 5α-reductase to the more potent androgen DHT. In other tissues, such as adipose tissue and parts of the brain, testosterone is converted by aromatase to the oestrogen, oestradiol. In bone, the mechanism of action of the anabolism of androgens has not been entirely elucidated but both a direct effect of testosterone and a mediated effect by aromatization to oestradiol are important (Orwoll, 1996; Zitzmann and Nieschlag, 2004). In the human skeletal muscle (collected less than 12 h post-mortem), 5α-reductase activity (either type 1 or 2) is not detectable (Thigpen et al., 1993), so testosterone itself is chiefly binding to the androgen receptor (as supported also by a number of animal studies, mainly in the rat). Aromatase expression and activity is significant in human skeletal muscle (Larionov et al., 2003) but whether the conversion of androgens to oestrogens within this tissue is physiologically important for mediating some of the myotrophic effect of androgens is yet to be determined.

re: anabolics

quote:

Athletes and bodybuilders have recognized for several decades that the use of anabolic steroids can promote muscle growth and strength but it is only relatively recently that these agents are being revisited for clinical purposes. Anabolic steroids are being considered for the treatment of cachexia associated with chronic disease states, and to address loss of muscle mass in the elderly, but nevertheless their efficacy still needs to be demonstrated in terms of improved physical function and quality of life. In sport, these agents are performance enhancers, this being particularly apparent in women, although there is a high risk of virilization despite the favourable myotrophic-androgenic dissociation that many xenobiotic steroids confer. Modulation of androgen receptor expression appears to be key to partial dissociation, with consideration of both intracellular steroid metabolism and the topology of the bound androgen receptor interacting with co-activators. An anticatabolic effect, by interfering with glucocorticoid receptor expression, remains an attractive hypothesis. Behavioural changes by non-genomic and genomic pathways probably help motivate training. Anabolic steroids continue to be the most common adverse finding in sport and, although apparently rare, designer steroids have been synthesized in an attempt to circumvent the dope test. Doping with anabolic steroids can result in damage to health, as recorded meticulously in the former German Democratic Republic. Even so, it is important not to exaggerate the medical risks associated with their administration for sporting or bodybuilding purposes but to emphasize to users that an attitude of personal invulnerability to their adverse effects is certainly misguided.

but enough with informative posting...shouldn't we just talk for pages about how because there is not a causal link to hitting home-runs a performance advantage doesnt exist?

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 3, 2014

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Please stop replying to the concern troll.

Lets get this thread back onto the good track it was. There are some super hardcore insane performance stuff knocking around at the moment. The widely documented product that gave people an almost 60% better rate of stamina without any extra training has been mentioned, with the caveat of rapid cancerous tumour growths throughout your entire body.

However there are others out there, I'd like to know more about them.

Fair enough.

I do have a question (about soccer not baseball), since I don't really have much knowledge of PED usage in it, but are there any that are considered PEDs now that would be 'okay' to have as legal substances? I know the number of games isn't as much as basketball or baseball, but the distance covered in games, including going from a jog to full out sprint often, is insane. Squad rotation is obviously important, but are there any ostensibly milder PEDs that could be used without causing heart explosions and the like that would help with fixture congestion? Or is the extreme effects a matter of amount rather than the actual substance, meaning it'd be pretty much impossible to designate a legal amount to use?

Also, can someone explain exactly how EPO causes the blood to get so thick? I found in an article it was due to polycythemia, but I can't find the actual biological mechanism behind it. The extent of my biology/chemistry knowledge is bio in high school and just finished up a year of organic chemistry, so basically nil but I loved learning about how different medicines/substances actually worked in the body.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Quasimango posted:

Obviously, those three are freakish outliers, but Sosa, Bonds and McGwire all came into baseball at a time when strength training was still viewed sceptically by a lot of people in the game

Are you loving kidding me, McGwire admitted to using sterouds, and Sosa tested positive and somehow you're still plugging your ears and going on about strength training.

Ridiculous.

Karl Sharks posted:

Also, can someone explain exactly how EPO causes the blood to get so thick?

In basic terms you just have so many extra red blood cells that you begin to change the viscosity of the blood. Just take a moment to think about that. Its honestly insane.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 3, 2014

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

EPO increases the amount of red blood cells (which transport oxygen), that's their "thickening action" (here's more on how those blood cells are formed [epo modifies hemocytoblast production] http://www.interactive-biology.com/3969/erythropoiesis-formation-of-red-blood-cells/). Thick blood is measured by an increased hematocrit score which is the amount of red blood cells you have per cl of blood. A greater quantity of red blood cells allows more oxygen to be delivered to the muscles which allows for greater recovery and less fatigue.

thickening your blood kills your heart because it has to work harder. EPO will never be safe except in patients with lowered red blood cell counts.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 3, 2014

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Mornacale posted:

Cool, could you expound on these issues? I'm willing to believe there's no good evidence either way (I personally find the conclusion of there being no [meaningful] effect to be difficult to believe), I just hate how steroids stuff always devolves into people repeating their assumptions over and over without--or in the face of--evidence.

That page really is complete poo poo. I'm not going to go through it all, but he goes on and on about how steroids only really effect upper body strength when they actually can cause huge gains in leg stregnth too.

A big part of his argument goes on the mathematical modelling done in this paper, that appears to be pretty flawed based on what these guys say.

He also makes a huge deal about a comparison of these two images, comparing the power factors of Barry Bonds & Roger Maris:

Barry Bonds

Roger Maris

He makes the point, sarcastically, that it seems like Roger Maris was juicing starting from the 1958 season. What he fails to mention is that Roger Maris was 25 when that spike began and in his prime. Barry Bonds has two spikes, one in his prime (in his 20s) and a final insane spike in around the 1999-2000 season when he was 36. This goes against anything that should be statistically probable and coincidentally when he probably started juicing. It's almost as if PEDs have some kind of performance enhancing effect?

edit: had this open too long, didn't realise we weren't on this anymore. Regardless, page is poo poo & Bad.

Olewithmilk fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Karl Sharks posted:

Also, can someone explain exactly how EPO causes the blood to get so thick? I found in an article it was due to polycythemia, but I can't find the actual biological mechanism behind it. The extent of my biology/chemistry knowledge is bio in high school and just finished up a year of organic chemistry, so basically nil but I loved learning about how different medicines/substances actually worked in the body.

It increases red blood cell count, making the blood thicker.

e: forgot to reload the page, beaten.

• Locked thread