Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Doping should be a 10 year ban on first offense. At least WADA are raising it to 4 now. But a lot of the effects are permanent even after stopping usage, so there has to be a huge incentive not to ever do it. All American pro sports should adhere to the WADA code and have blood passport and random tests utilizing a whereabouts program. Way too much money in these sports for a clean athlete to ever have a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Jose posted:

Is it possible to scam a blood passport? Like dope yourself with EPO/blood doping right at the start when its taken so they measure enhanced levels and think its normal?

They can inject saline right before a blood test to lower their hematocrit so it doesn't get flagged

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

There is an epidemic of recently retired Italian soccer players getting Lou Gherig's disease

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/oct/08/europeanfootball.serieafootball

Italian soccer was filthy in the 90's. Hell, probably still is.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

mynameisjohn posted:

my Physical Therapist mostly deals with mma fighters and was talking to me about how they're all pissing their pants because a ton of their friends are former users and are getting lou gehrig's and they're all making bucket lists of poo poo to do before they turn 40 just in case. its hosed up poo poo for sure Tom.

Makes me wonder how many of the poor health outcomes we are seeing in retired NFL players can be blamed by the substances they used. I don't think it is 100% concussions. I bet there are also unknown interactions between the painkillers they use. Retired Pro Bodybuilders overall seem pretty healthy compared to NFL players/WWF wrestlers etc.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Sour Grapes posted:

What PEDs have permanent effects?

To simplify things, all of them basically. Anabolics have permanent effects as does oxygen vector doping.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Anything from the late 80's to the end of the 90's needs a massive asterix next to it in my opinion. There was just no way to test for the stuff on the market at the time.

Earlier than that, steroids and blood transfusions have been around since the 70's at least.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

They were massive in the body building scene, but how prevalent were they in sports culture? I was always of the opinion that they didnt really infect the pro sports world outside of the endurance and strength disciplines until the 80's.

Finnish distance runner Lasse Virin won gold in 72 using blood transfusions, I think he was one of the first. Steroids were kicking around back then too.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Sour Grapes posted:

Care to expand or link me something? I haven't read that much, but I thought the effects of anabolics tapered after a while off-cycle due to a number of factors (i.e.; decreased capacity for training, eating, lowered aggression/focus, etc.).

http://www.mn.uio.no/ibv/english/research/news-and-events/news/2013/kortvarig-dopingbruk-kan-ha-permanente-effekter.html

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Oxygen vector doping would give you an immense advantage in hockey. There is simply too much money involved not to do it. Guys playing into their 40's is also a big sign.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Oxygen vector doping is altering the blood so it can carry more oxygen. So you can have longer/more intense shifts and still be going full speed at the end of games. Chelios looked like a big clen lover as well and for millions with no risk of getting caught why wouldn't you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

This Bundesliga story kinda got overlooked, but a doctor found evidence of systematic blood doping and the authorities did gently caress all. http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/report-by-team-doctor-suggests-blood-doping-in-german-football-league-a-919563.html

• Locked thread