Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The essence of God is computer data? I mean, I don't necessarily disagree, but I think your answer lacks meat. Bring the essence of God before me. If it is within the picture, it must be clearly evident, yes? Or was it the inspiration to draw the picture itself that is the essence of God? Perhaps all artwork contains the essence of God? But in that case, what of artwork of the Hindu, the Jews, Muslims, or other "pagan" cultures?

Poo butt rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Have a dog. Not a god.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
My scientific curiosity is now satisfied.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
god is real

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The essence of God is computer data? I mean, I don't necessarily disagree, but I think your answer lacks meat. Bring the essence of God before me. If it is within the picture, it must be clearly evident, yes? Or was it the inspiration to draw the picture itself that is the essence of God? Perhaps all artwork contains the essence of God? But in that case, what of artwork of the Hindu, the Jews, Muslims, or other "pagan" cultures?

If only you knew

The essence of god is within around below and atop you

The kingdom of god is within you

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

real stupid :devil horns:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Smoking Crow posted:

If only you knew

The essence of god is within around below and atop you

The kingdom of god is within you

But I am God. And so are you.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

psyopmonkey posted:

Have a dog. Not a god.

dog is real and good. hail dog.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

But I am God. And so are you.

I am not god because I have sinned

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

psyopmonkey posted:

Have a dog. Not a god.

Is that some korean eucharist?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Smoking Crow posted:

I am not god because I have sinned

God created good and evil both. Without evil, how could you know good? Without sin, how could you know sanctity? The duality suggests the universality.

How do the flowers grow? Even the god of spring does not know.

Any god which can be described in words is not god. Why does Shiva dance the cosmos?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
god watches gay sex

god doesnt stop it

god is a homoenabler

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

God created good and evil both. Without evil, how could you know good? Without sin, how could you know sanctity? The duality suggests the universality.

How do the flowers grow? Even the god of spring does not know.

Any god which can be described in words is not god. Why does Shiva dance the cosmos?

God cannot be described either. I can't be Hindu bc I'm not Indian and so I don't have a caste to live my dharma in sorry

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

"Yay, and the one true dog spake, throw the ball with your heart. It is important to me. Do not throw the ball and thou shall be stricken with the most unholy of poops. Poops upon thine carpet."

Puppicus 14:92

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Also if ur a real Hindu you'd be with me bc you believe that my god is a manifestation of brahma

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
^^^--Yes, but that definition means that your God is also susceptible to birth and death, and will be eradicated as well at the end of the kalpa.

Smoking Crow posted:

God cannot be described either. I can't be Hindu bc I'm not Indian and so I don't have a caste to live my dharma in sorry

This is true, you cannot be Hindu, as Hinduism is far more than a religion--it's a very much defined by the ways of life of the culture in which it exists.

You could be Buddhist though. Buddhism is basically Hinduism reformed for export.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I tried Buddhism and didn't find it to be true and effective bc it didn't calm my mind at all like the Buddha dudes said it would

So I tried Christianity and that worked better so I'm following guatama's advice

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Smoking Crow posted:

I tried Buddhism and didn't find it to be true and effective bc it didn't calm my mind at all like the Buddha dudes said it would

So I tried Christianity and that worked better so I'm following guatama's advice

The threat of eternal damnation calmed your mind? That's interesting.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The threat of eternal damnation calmed your mind? That's interesting.

Orthodoxy hasn't believed in damnation since ad450

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Any of you ever wonder why it is you never see me and God in the same room at the same time?

I'm just saying.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Smoking Crow posted:

Orthodoxy hasn't believed in damnation since ad450

Incorrect.

And which orthodoxy

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Incorrect.

And which orthodoxy

Eastern Orthodox Christianity and look up Gregory of Nyssa and clement of Alexandria

I'm happy that u know more about my religion than me

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Smoking Crow posted:

Eastern Orthodox Christianity and look up Gregory of Nyssa and clement of Alexandria

I'm happy that u know more about my religion than me

I'm aware of Clement of Alexandria, but you're trying to codify Christianity into a uniform mass that simply doesn't exist. While early Christianity had little to do with damnation and the like, the religion has become heavily defined by it in the general belief. Even if you adhere to an older/outdated/outlier Christian belief (and you can't deny that the Eastern Orthodoxy developed very different from what become the Catholic Church and the Holy Roman Empire), the concept of damnation versus salvation is pretty fundamental to Christianity.

That is why you are "saved" when you become Christian.

EDIT: Also the orthodoxy of early Christianity wasn't codified until 3 centuries or so after Jesus's alleged death, and ostracized dozens of smaller tribal christian traditions and eradicated even more Gospels.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
the so-called pagan gods of old are actually angels and demons that inhabit trees rivers rocks and poo poo like that and still exist, they are real as well

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm aware of Clement of Alexandria, but you're trying to codify Christianity into a uniform mass that simply doesn't exist. While early Christianity had little to do with damnation and the like, the religion has become heavily defined by it in the general belief. Even if you adhere to an older/outdated/outlier Christian belief (and you can't deny that the Eastern Orthodoxy developed very different from what become the Catholic Church and the Holy Roman Empire), the concept of damnation versus salvation is pretty fundamental to Christianity.

That is why you are "saved" when you become Christian.

EDIT: Also the orthodoxy of early Christianity wasn't codified until 3 centuries or so after Jesus's alleged death, and ostracized dozens of smaller tribal christian traditions and eradicated even more Gospels.

I'm not saved and I won't know if I'm saved until I die

And I know that orthodoxy is different from western Christianity that's why I like it lmbo

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm not saved and I won't know if I'm saved until I die

And I know that orthodoxy is different from western Christianity that's why I like it lmbo

How will dying save you?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How will dying save you?

I'll know if it sucks to be in heaven

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Smoking Crow posted:

I'll know if it sucks to be in heaven

Heaven sounds pretty boring.

macky2dope
Jun 11, 2012

meow haha whoa!!
:420: :420: :420: :420: :420:

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Heaven sounds pretty boring.

I've never been there but ppl tell me it's cool

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Smoking Crow posted:

I've never been there but ppl tell me it's cool

Well alright, see you then.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I struggle with my faith. There's uncertainty in my heart. We also live in a callous, increasingly secular world. Loving Christ is no longer "cool". Still, I yearn to be in His presence.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I struggle with my faith. There's uncertainty in my heart. We also live in a callous, increasingly secular world. Loving Christ is no longer "cool". Still, I yearn to be in His presence.

The Buddha would say you are clinging. Let go of your certainty and let go of your yearning and you will know peace.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

thats a good gif

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i had that whole going down the blqck tunnel with the white light thing happen to me no lies

repent sinners

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Well alright, see you then.

see you

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

God gave his only son, Jesus, to the cross for YOUR sins and that the coolest thing to ever happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a digital orc
May 14, 2003

You see, Guragh, they can't fire me for sexual harassment. The crime doesn't fit the punishment! :orks:
congrats, you morons turned an inri thread into an actual religious debate

that requires a powerful kind of stupid.

• Locked thread