Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

mateo360 posted:

One very discouraging thing from me is I look down at the progress bar and se 8 or 9 yellow blocks for ads in the video. I watch to the first one and it is an interruption video ad. I really don't want to have the video interrupted at random times for two ads I don't want to see. If it was separate videos and an ad playing at the beginning of each I wouldn't mind as much (I know some people on SA have ads run on their videos). I do mean that it is random. It at 5 min in, 11 mins in, 17 mins in, 21 mins in, 35 mins in, 50 mins in, 53 mins in (seriously 3 mins after the last one?), then on at the end at 1 hour 14 mins.

:eyepop: Well, if you're gonna milk a stone for youtube dollars you might as well do it for every last drop.

Also I hear that having facecam on your videos develops a connection between the player and the viewer; is this true OP? Because I'm not feeling anything.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Combat Lobster posted:

:eyepop: Well, if you're gonna milk a stone for youtube dollars you might as well do it for every last drop.

No, no, more ads = more money. That's just math right? How do I mid-roll this post?

raqibmarvelous
Jun 26, 2014
So reading through the comments on this thread, I did change a few things so far.

-I didn't realize that mid-video ads were playing, since I do have an adblocker on. I guess Machinima defaults to showing as many ads as possible. I have completely turned off mid-video ads on my channel.

-I am experimenting with new camera angles.

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thank you guys. When I get through the main console series, I will redo everything that was done so far.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

raqibmarvelous posted:

I don't mean to be a dick, but one of the camera angles you should consider is "none". Youtube/Twitch dump aside, you're not a horrible guy and could probably just talk over video games. :shobon:

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008

raqibmarvelous posted:

How about not having a loving facecam?

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

There is only one reason anyone would have a facecam and that is if you are not interested in showing us the game, but rather you are investing in your brrrrrrrand.

I'm sure you're not a bad person, but you must realize that we really don't care about you. Like, at all.
And neither do we want to help you with becoming an internet-famous YouTube LP superstar. We won't buy your t-shirts and you will never become a DLC character in some lame-rear end Mario Kart clone.

So, just lose the facecam, and show us a nice game.
Please?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
only use a facecam if you look like Fabio is the basic rule

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

IMMM A loving HOMO

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Hi There!

I'm probably not going to be saying anything new from what the others are saying as much as I am going to be explaining why they are saying it.

First of all, there's this little thing atop the Messageboard called the Let's Play Sandcastle. It was created for the sole purpose of you posting a sample first post of the thread you wished to start and from there, you would have gotten helpful tips and suggestions before, say, starting your thread willy-nilly and have everyone be somewhat chippy and snotty at you for not reading the specific rules of the subforum. As your join-date shows that you had just recently joined less than a week ago, I will assume that it is just an oversight, but it is an oversight you probably would not have made if you had not for instance looked at the top of the message board before posting.

Secondly, it seems you have already completed your Let's Play, and have essentially dumped your already finished YouTube videos upon the thread. This makes the thread less of a "Let's Play" discussion thread and more of a "Hey Look At Me I Already Did This Thing" thread, robbing us of anticipation of talking about our favorite moments from the game and comparing notes and essentially reminiscing about Sonic until the inevitable derail when we talk about the Sonic comic book and Princess Sally and then we all start crying and all of us are banned for a week and such.

Thirdly, there are a few problems with the presentation. Just so I would not be somewhat biased and criticize what I do not understand, I started by looking at your Sonic the Hedgehog 2 video. Here is a screencap I made of it so it does show that I did indeed look at it.

The criticisms are as follows:

-Long pauses. I noticed lots of long pauses. Many of those could be smashed out by a bit of strategic editing (no no stop flinching, it can be done) and/or having a little bit of time to plan out things about what you want to say beforehand while playing the game. Most LPers here do lots of their commentary post-game, as in they're not essentially doing the exhaustive job of playing and trying to make interesting dialogue choices. It robs a little bit of the "tense" spur of the moment reactions, but it makes for a more polished product.

-The thing in the bottom right. It's probably been mentioned a few times by people already, but there is a high dislike of having the LPer visible during gameplay. I think this is essentially due to the fact that it causes confusion. See, most of the people coming to watch your video are there to reminisce about gameplay. Presenting them with TWO pictures, one being the game and the other being you, creates a conflict of interest. They're looking back and forth, back and forth, and if it gets to be too much of a chore, they look at the bar at the side and see, oooh, one of the recommended videos is an old sentai show episode, let's watch that instead.

-Ads. Despite your earlier cleanups, I am still getting a few ads on my end. Even when I go to adjust the resolution, I still get some ads, and not for the Sonic chain of restaurants, which I would find a total match for the LP, mind you, but it does distract from the main project. Not that there's anything wrong with money. Money is good for buying things that keep you alive.

Anyway, I did my ranking here:

Now don't get me wrong. This visual is sharp and clean compared to the other YouTuber offerings out there, and it does look like you're getting your share of followers from that avenue, but it might be better you take a look at some of the Let's Play Archive examples to see what sort of run-throughs are typical of this board. You don't sound like a bad guy after all, and I'm sure you might be good at giving co-commentary with another guy if given the chance, launching into ring-based discussions.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Cangelosi posted:

Hi There!

I'm probably not going to be saying anything new from what the others are saying as much as I am going to be explaining why they are saying it.

First of all, there's this little thing atop the Messageboard called the Let's Play Sandcastle. It was created for the sole purpose of you posting a sample first post of the thread you wished to start and from there, you would have gotten helpful tips and suggestions before, say, starting your thread willy-nilly and have everyone be somewhat chippy and snotty at you for not reading the specific rules of the subforum. As your join-date shows that you had just recently joined less than a week ago, I will assume that it is just an oversight, but it is an oversight you probably would not have made if you had not for instance looked at the top of the message board before posting.

Secondly, it seems you have already completed your Let's Play, and have essentially dumped your already finished YouTube videos upon the thread. This makes the thread less of a "Let's Play" discussion thread and more of a "Hey Look At Me I Already Did This Thing" thread, robbing us of anticipation of talking about our favorite moments from the game and comparing notes and essentially reminiscing about Sonic until the inevitable derail when we talk about the Sonic comic book and Princess Sally and then we all start crying and all of us are banned for a week and such.

Thirdly, there are a few problems with the presentation. Just so I would not be somewhat biased and criticize what I do not understand, I started by looking at your Sonic the Hedgehog 2 video. Here is a screencap I made of it so it does show that I did indeed look at it.

-Long pauses. I noticed lots of long pauses. Many of those could be smashed out by a bit of strategic editing (no no stop flinching, it can be done) and/or having a little bit of time to plan out things about what you want to say beforehand while playing the game. Most LPers here do lots of their commentary post-game, as in they're not essentially doing the exhaustive job of playing and trying to make interesting dialogue choices. It robs a little bit of the "tense" spur of the moment reactions, but it makes for a more polished product.

-The thing in the bottom right. It's probably been mentioned a few times by people already, but there is a high dislike of having the LPer visible during gameplay. I think this is essentially due to the fact that it causes confusion. See, most of the people coming to watch your video are there to reminisce about gameplay. Presenting them with TWO pictures, one being the game and the other being you, creates a conflict of interest. They're looking back and forth, back and forth, and if it gets to be too much of a chore, they look at the bar at the side and see, oooh, one of the recommended videos is an old sentai show episode, let's watch that instead.

-Ads. Despite your earlier cleanups, I am still getting a few ads on my end. Even when I go to adjust the resolution, I still get some ads, and not for the Sonic chain of restaurants, which I would find a total match for the LP, mind you, but it does distract from the main project. Not that there's anything wrong with money. Money is good for buying things that keep you alive.

Now don't get me wrong. This visual is sharp and clean compared to the other YouTuber offerings out there, and it does look like you're getting your share of followers from that avenue, but it might be better you take a look at some of the Let's Play Archive examples to see what sort of run-throughs are typical of this board. You don't sound like a bad guy after all, and I'm sure you might be good at giving co-commentary with another guy if given the chance, launching into ring-based discussions.

okay

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Can I just be the guy that says "gently caress off"?

Yeah, I'll be that guy.

gently caress off.

:edit:

Valgaav posted:

I smell Mod Challenge!

Michaellaneous posted:

Also, modchallenge. Please.

Xoidanor posted:

Oh please let this be what happens. :allears:

Oh please, not another mod challenge. The last one turned out so well. Gamingo flipped the challenge and trolled the entire sub-forum...for what, close to a month?

Besides, if anybody deserves a Mod Challenge, it's Ritcheyz. But then again, it seemed most people posting in his DS thread were against drumming up anything about that, because "HE MAKES A GOOD LP, LET'S LEAVE IT AT THAT". Right.

BMS fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 29, 2014

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Cangelosi posted:

Hi There!

i was gonna make fun of you for this but you made Robotnik say pingas and that makes me smile :)

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Cangelosi posted:

Hi There!

2 and a half Mike Dawsons? Man you are so hilarious!

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

2 and a half Mike Dawsons? Man you are so hilarious!

I would have used Garstals but I think that'd have been too hipster of me.

Ironically, I have your Blackthorne LP listed at four Dawsons. I deducted a few points for you not shooting enough prisoners.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
How did it take you 2 hours to beat a 45 minute game?

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Cangelosi posted:

Hi There!

Leave Raqib the gently caress alone

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

I am sorry, but I am really not into the sonic twitch scene.

Also, dude. Could you have placed the camera in any worse position? Every time you look at it you look creepy as gently caress.

If you already get a lot of "You are hideous", why don't you just stop with the facecam like every other ugly person with some dignity left.

Also, modchallenge. Please.

You seriously need to back the gently caress up off Raqib

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I love Sonic and his pals. Big the cat, Charmy the bee, Knuckles the echidna, Tails the fox, Storm the albatross, Wave the swallow, Metal Sonic, Jet the hawk, Amy the pink hedgehog, Vector the crocodile, Mighty the armadillo, Silver the silver hedgehog, Mecha Sonic, Blaze the cat, Espeo the chameleon, Knack the weasel, Bean the dynamite, Bark the polar bear, Silver Sonic, Chip, Tikal the peach echidna, Rouge the bat, Cream the rabbit, Uncle Chuck, Princess Sally, Antoine the stereotype, Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts the monkey. Couldn't pick one if I had to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
lets play veteran weighs in on the problematic nature of a video of someone talking over sonic incorrectly

• Locked thread