Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Been playing this since the sale, it's pretty fun. Except once where the matchmaking shat itself and we played 3vs5, everything seemed pretty good tech-wise for a beta.

From what I've seen, when the humans play a tight game and the vampires are unorganised the humans can mow down the opposition, but usually is the other way around because 1v1 will always benefit the vampires. VoIP would make a team completely overpowered.

Captain Oblivious posted:

What exactly is stopping the Hunters from just turtling up in the most defensible location ad infinitum until the Vampires come to them, if there's no L4D style zombies.

They cannot regenerate, so they eventually die if they don't move towards healing shrines. If the vampires work well together the Reapers can toss grenades to blind the group and then every vampire charges in to take a few easy sweeps before retreating, or the flying vampire swoops in to drag a human away from the group, or some other stuff. Hit and run tactics are great if you have the patience, because most (all?) vampires have a getaway skill and they regen health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

This game is really good.

Humans get Batman gadgets and guns.

Vampires can be the Hulk. Also you can mind-control someone to run around in circles while their team gets murdered.

From what little I played it seems like humans want to corral the vampires into a space they can control since they get so many huge area effects. Vampires want to spread out and pick off humans because they regenerate and are easily more than a match for any one human. Only annoying thing is watching a vamp shrug off several grenades and rip you to shreds.

BlueDestiny fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 1, 2014

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

icking fudiot posted:

- We are completely rewriting the Matchmaking and Party systems because the ones in there aren't good enough. Yes, we know parties are a bitch to get working sometimes.
Is there any kind of update or ETA you can give us on this? I know the rewrite is in progress, but the current party/matchmaking issues are really the only thing holding this game back right now, and there are some friends I am just flat out unable to party with, so any information on this would be great.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Hactar posted:

Is there any kind of update or ETA you can give us on this? I know the rewrite is in progress, but the current party/matchmaking issues are really the only thing holding this game back right now, and there are some friends I am just flat out unable to party with, so any information on this would be great.

Seconding this. I would absolutely play this game more and/or for longer if it weren't for these issues. I'm stuck fighting the matchmaking with a group of friends in the time it takes to play one or two games. When introducing this game to new people, the matchmaking tango of being stuck on other teams or dropping parties really puts them off. Really having a blast with it otherwise, though.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

icking fudiot posted:

p.s. your thread title hurts my soul

That means its working. :colbert: Welcome to the thread!

If i didn't love this game, i wouldn't have made this thread. :ssh:

icking fudiot posted:

I suppose we could eliminate timed rentals altogether in favor of a free 24 hour trial function, but some players seem to enjoy the flexibility of a cheap 7 day test drive of a weapon or ability. As such I'm loathe to cut rentals despite the stigma surrounding them from other titles.

Could throw in a rent-a-gun feature (Rent 1 item every 22+ hours for X number of games!) and keep the weekly rental too!

E:

The Crusher posted:

Seconding this. I would absolutely play this game more and/or for longer if it weren't for these issues. I'm stuck fighting the matchmaking with a group of friends in the time it takes to play one or two games. When introducing this game to new people, the matchmaking tango of being stuck on other teams or dropping parties really puts them off. Really having a blast with it otherwise, though.

Glad its not just me then. :arghfist:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 1, 2014

lorekoo
Oct 27, 2007
I got these beta codes a while ago, but never actually found anyone that wanted em.

VEPOFA-225-BACOTU-220
PAPODE-707-COZATO-226
NEPUDE-975-JOFOBU-025

Enjoy.

lorekoo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 1, 2014

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
I think the rental system is great, and I’d be sad to see it go.

Really the whole system seems very generous to me; with the free class unlocks and item drops from levelling, and enough gold for a weekly rental after every few games, I think it’s very reasonable for people to play the game without ever spending money (especially for players focusing on specific classes). The perks are kind of on a level of their own in terms of cost, but I realise this is because they apply to every class of each race.

Pizzagate Pedophile
Mar 2, 2013

by Lowtax

lorekoo posted:

I got these beta codes a while ago, but never actually found anyone that wanted em.

VEPOFA-225-BACOTU-220
PAPODE-707-COZATO-226
NEPUDE-975-JOFOBU-025

Enjoy.

Took the second one. Thanks broski!

Mr. Buchstansangur
Jul 10, 2012

lorekoo posted:

VEPOFA-225-BACOTU-220
PAPODE-707-COZATO-226
NEPUDE-975-JOFOBU-025

Enjoy.

I nabbed the third code. Thanks a lot man!!!

Just saw this thread today, loved the LoK series growing up and was really surprised to see it as a F2P. It's pretty rad that it takes place in the time period of LoK that I was most interested in, pre-decay of the clans so we can see them in all their glory. Not really sure what the Razielim are doing around as I had presumed them eradicated along with Raziel after the "betrayal". But I'm not complaining because I always wondered what they would look like.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Hactar posted:

It's a complete rewrite so it's taking time. I would say "this summer" but not in the next few weeks. If you keep tabs on this thread I'll update it when we roll out the updated stuff, no harm in taking some time off while we get things resolved.

The updated party system will roll in first, followed shortly thereafter by a switch to serverside matchmaking so we can do smarter stuff, lobby combination, etc.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Question: How do vampire players see the deceiver after it's cloaked? I've had teammates taking swings at me after I transformed.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Question: How do vampire players see the deceiver after it's cloaked? I've had teammates taking swings at me after I transformed.

Vampires see cloaked Deceivers with a purple outline. It could stand to be clearer.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I think a disguised Deceiver shows up as having a pink(I think? Maybe just green, I'm not sure) aura to the other vamps, even when cloaked. Many players don't seem to realise that this means they're on the same side, leading to silly results.

Fake edit: The funniest/scariest thing about playing as a human against a team with a deceiver is dying, respawning and then moving to link up with your team only to notice that there's already four of them.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

lorekoo posted:

VEPOFA-225-BACOTU-220
PAPODE-707-COZATO-226
NEPUDE-975-JOFOBU-025

Enjoy.

Just took the first one, thanks!

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Grabbed a key off one of the giveaways and played a match earlier.

This does not seme to be an easy game to play.

Vampire consisted of leaping at someone and then them running away as I frantically try to hit them as they run and me likely running into a group of them and dying. So basically, it felt like vampires don't do enough damage.

Humans consisted of getting blinded and then dying. Repeatedly.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I haven't played that many matches but I've had success with hit and run attacks as a vampire. Just pounce and if that doesn't get you a kill, retreat out. Then repeat. I only stay in the fight after a pounce if I see the rest of the vampire team also going in at the same time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Killsion posted:

Grabbed a key off one of the giveaways and played a match earlier.

This does not seme to be an easy game to play.

Vampire consisted of leaping at someone and then them running away as I frantically try to hit them as they run and me likely running into a group of them and dying. So basically, it felt like vampires don't do enough damage.

Humans consisted of getting blinded and then dying. Repeatedly.

Unless the humans are running Fleet of Foot or whatever the perk is called, autoattacking as a vamp will keep up with any movement a human can do.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Orv posted:

Unless the humans are running Fleet of Foot or whatever the perk is called, autoattacking as a vamp will keep up with any movement a human can do.

It's frustrating because I'll leap at someone, then I get kicked off and it takes like 3 melee swipes to get back in range of attacking them and by that point it just ain't worth it.

Had my second match, was quite the slaughter. Humans still feel atrocious, shooting Explosive Shot for the 1k damage bonus feels like my only way of getting exp since getting a kill is highly improbable.. All it takes is getting blinded and then the whole team falls apart. Also it was a 4 on 3. Second round as vampires it started as a 4 on 1, so I sat on a building waiting for it to become a 4 on 3. Did better, but the man advantage is still awful. I don't know what class has the giant aoe blind grenade, but I don't think any of us had it. Still had a better match than the 30-6 slaughter on the human side earlier.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Vampires can dodge forward at the end of their swipe animation and it makes em speedier.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Killsion posted:

It's frustrating because I'll leap at someone, then I get kicked off and it takes like 3 melee swipes to get back in range of attacking them and by that point it just ain't worth it.

Had my second match, was quite the slaughter. Humans still feel atrocious, shooting Explosive Shot for the 1k damage bonus feels like my only way of getting exp since getting a kill is highly improbable.. All it takes is getting blinded and then the whole team falls apart. Also it was a 4 on 3. Second round as vampires it started as a 4 on 1, so I sat on a building waiting for it to become a 4 on 3. Did better, but the man advantage is still awful. I don't know what class has the giant aoe blind grenade, but I don't think any of us had it. Still had a better match than the 30-6 slaughter on the human side earlier.

Alchemists have the blind grenade. You should pretty much always play Alchemist if you have a numbers disadvantage (exception being if the enemy team somehow does not have a tyrant), use fire walls at the last moment to counter any aggression. If your teammates are on the ball you can kill any vampires who get stuck in your fire wall for more than a second, though you'll usually lose 2 people in the process (but it's the most reliable way to come out positive 3vs4 I've found).

Playing as a vampire in a similar situation is usually a bit simpler: Pick tyrant, charge through the area the players are in in a way that lets you escape quickly, repeat 10 seconds later. Ideal comp is 2 tyrants and 1 reaver; deceivers and sentinels are both very good on a 4 player team but there's no real room for them outside of that.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Count Uvula posted:

Alchemists have the blind grenade. You should pretty much always play Alchemist if you have a numbers disadvantage (exception being if the enemy team somehow does not have a tyrant), use fire walls at the last moment to counter any aggression. If your teammates are on the ball you can kill any vampires who get stuck in your fire wall for more than a second, though you'll usually lose 2 people in the process (but it's the most reliable way to come out positive 3vs4 I've found).

Playing as a vampire in a similar situation is usually a bit simpler: Pick tyrant, charge through the area the players are in in a way that lets you escape quickly, repeat 10 seconds later. Ideal comp is 2 tyrants and 1 reaver; deceivers and sentinels are both very good on a 4 player team but there's no real room for them outside of that.

No, I mean as a human, I'm getting stuck in giant aoe smoke grenades making me utterly blind, at which point I typically get pounced by 2 reavers and die. Or a teammate gets pounced by a reaver, except I'm also blind, and can't see the actual vampire. Once I see those smoke grenades drop down, it's all over.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Killsion posted:

No, I mean as a human, I'm getting stuck in giant aoe smoke grenades making me utterly blind, at which point I typically get pounced by 2 reavers and die. Or a teammate gets pounced by a reaver, except I'm also blind, and can't see the actual vampire. Once I see those smoke grenades drop down, it's all over.

Oh, Reavers have that. You have about 1 second to dodge roll out of it when it hits the floor before you're blinded.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

This seems like a very interesting game, gonna give it a try tomorrow. Thyrork, you'll be teaching me and you don't have a say in the matter :ocelot:

:getin:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Killsion posted:

As Count Uvula said, roll/run away from any shattering glass noise you hear. Getting caught in the middle of the blast is worse than touching the sides of the AoE, so you'll be able to at least minimise the effects of the smoke. If done correctly, you'll probably see any vampires dropping into melee range them and can carpet bomb the area even if you can't see them precisely.

Another tip if you've been punced by a Reaver is that you'll have just enought time to throw the bolas at them after you get up, so that will buy you and your team mates a couple of seconds to make the Reaver flee (or kill it if it's stupid enough to hang around)

Now a question of my own: is there any reliable way of dodging a charging Tyrant?

And a minor nitpick for the developers: Taking the control away from a player is frustrating for the human player. The Deceiver ability may not be unfair bullshit (because I assume he has to stop, too, taking him out of the equation for the duration), but it feels unfair bullshit, because you can't do anything against it they way you can dodge/counter the other abilitis. It's just "You can't do anything. You're dead."

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

Fat Samurai posted:

The Deceiver ability may not be unfair bullshit (because I assume he has to stop, too, taking him out of the equation for the duration), but it feels unfair bullshit, because you can't do anything against it they way you can dodge/counter the other abilitis. It's just "You can't do anything. You're dead."
He has to stay in line of sight for the duration, as well as a fairly long warmup duration keeping you focused, which makes him quite vulnerable all in all. It has a pretty noisy tell too, sometimes you can see them do it and just pelt them down.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Hactar posted:

He has to stay in line of sight for the duration, as well as a fairly long warmup duration keeping you focused, which makes him quite vulnerable all in all. It has a pretty noisy tell too, sometimes you can see them do it and just pelt them down.

:shrug: As long as the tells are noticeable enough, I guess there's no problem. I hadn't been hypnotised before, so it felt unfair.

I expect that moving to ranke 10 will make the power more common in matches, but the first time you're mind controlled is a much worse experience than being killed outright.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
You don’t see it much really, I’m level 16 and I’ve been mind controlled two, maybe three times total. I think it’s generally not as good as disguise since you’re standing off in the distance for a good while controlling a human, and when the effect ends, they go back to having 4 players, but you’re stuck away from the fight.

With an organised team there’s probably some nice tricks you can do to make it work well though.

E: though once I did throw down a volley onto an area the vampires were engaging on with a toxic mist, then I got mind controlled right after and walked into the aoe. That did suck.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

The sentinel is hella fun so far, even if i suck at it.

Swoop down, grab poor human, drop in the water or off a cliff, divebomb him, repeat
:getin:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Game Update 3rd July 2014
2014-07-03 CAT KARSKENS

Tyrant

- Adjusting scaling of fall / impact damage when using the Throw ability

Sentinel

- Air dodging no longer cancels any of your existing flight momentum

Tutorial

- Invert Look prompt has been clarified to be less confusing
- Human dodge tutorial adjusted so you are not attacked until you press Dodge
- Vampire Evasion tutorial adjusted so you aren’t shot at until you press Evasion

Maps

- Sommerdamm optimization pass to hopefully reduce framerate issues on lower spec machines

Boosters

- Boosters will now only begin their expiration timer when they are equipped for the first time

UI

- The prompt for linking your Square Enix Members account will now only show once each time you run the game

- Users who have submitted an email to link their Square Enix Members account will not be forced to re-enter their email, but instead reminded to complete the process sent to their email address.

Bugs

- Resolved an issue with Loadouts not saving correctly

Yeah that bolded one was pretty gosh darned irksome! :haw:

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
Nice to have loadouts saving properly too. I'd like to see more specific information when they talk about damage scaling etc. though; it actually doesn’t even say if it does more or less damage.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Hactar posted:

Nice to have loadouts saving properly too. I'd like to see more specific information when they talk about damage scaling etc. though; it actually doesn’t even say if it does more or less damage.

Yeah, my fault on that Throw change. We typically are very explicit on damage changes. It is a reduction to how much damage humans can take when Thrown into a wall, then falling to the ground.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Regarding damages, there's a particular comparison that I'm curious about. The Reaver's disabling pounces show a range between damages, what determines this range? Assuming you pounce on a human and claw at them for the full duration and aren't interrupted.

The other being the Tyrant's leap attack. The skill info shows a flat 500 damage, but post-death screens where i've been struck by one never show a full 500. If that move is radius based, as in more damage the closer you are to the point of impact, why does that skill not have a range between two numbers of damage?

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

The Crusher posted:

Regarding damages, there's a particular comparison that I'm curious about. The Reaver's disabling pounces show a range between damages, what determines this range? Assuming you pounce on a human and claw at them for the full duration and aren't interrupted.

The other being the Tyrant's leap attack. The skill info shows a flat 500 damage, but post-death screens where i've been struck by one never show a full 500. If that move is radius based, as in more damage the closer you are to the point of impact, why does that skill not have a range between two numbers of damage?

Reaver pounce damage is the impact damage that scales based on how far your leap is.

Tyrant jump damage falls off radially like most other AOE attacks. We could show that, I guess, but then every single radial explosion in the game would need their tooltips updated. Not ruling it out, but not on our priority list.

Mr. Buchstansangur
Jul 10, 2012
Having a blast so far!

The first couple of rounds went awesome as vampires, not so good as human. I honestly thought that the objective was to slaughter as much as you could as a vampire, then die less then the other team when it was your turn to be the humans. Which made for some tense gameplay as it really felt like you were being stalked as they hopped around rooftops in the distance, just waiting to strike. I've never really been put at such unease in a game, not even traditionally 'scary' ones like Amnesia. It was really cool.

Then I discovered humans can kick some rear end too!!

Almost at level 5, and I'm not sure which vampire I want to unlock next...

One thing I was surprised to not see was a gout of blood telekinetically sucked out of a human victim like in Blood Omen. Tell me it's going to be added at some point!

"Please, help me kind sir!" *sluuurrrp* "Ahhh"

:drac:

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
Does anyone know if this game requires any kind of port forwarding? I have a friend who is unable to join parties (gives a long Authenticating... countdown then just says Authentication Failed), and I can't really think of anything else which could be an issue, but I can't find any info on ports anywhere.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

icking fudiot posted:

Reaver pounce damage is the impact damage that scales based on how far your leap is.

Tyrant jump damage falls off radially like most other AOE attacks. We could show that, I guess, but then every single radial explosion in the game would need their tooltips updated. Not ruling it out, but not on our priority list.

Ah okay, I didn't know that longer distance pounces rewarded higher damage, that's good to know.

And I know some radial DoT AoE's had varying damages listed, such as the Reaver and Alchemist's versions of poison gases. I just feel it's a consistency thing, but not necessarily top priority.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Buchstansangur posted:

One thing I was surprised to not see was a gout of blood telekinetically sucked out of a human victim like in Blood Omen. Tell me it's going to be added at some point!

"Please, help me kind sir!" *sluuurrrp* "Ahhh"

:drac:

I know they are going for asymmetry, but i'd love if if we see a human who can special attack in melee (Press Q to whack that bloodsucker with a big honkin' sword, does more damage then your normal desperate melee) and a vampire with Telekenisis for special attack ranged (Pull that human right out of his/her hidey hole!), i guess the latter could certainly be another Deceiver power down the line :getin:

Mr. Buchstansangur
Jul 10, 2012
Admittedly, I don't play as the hunter much, and figured he had some sort of attack involving that big sword. Guess not...

Maybe someday. Until then it will remain sheathed, taunting us.

I mean, why slice a vampire when you can just whack them with your projectile weapon, possibly damaging it and rendering it useless? :downs:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
The whip is pretty much a human melee power attack (though 'melee' is something like 4 meters here), it does almost a quarter of a tyrant's health bar in a single hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Count Uvula posted:

The whip is pretty much a human melee power attack (though 'melee' is something like 4 meters here), it does almost a quarter of a tyrant's health bar in a single hit.

Yeah i can see myself trying the whip out after i get the throw skill for my hulk Tyrant.

• Locked thread